Deep Blue - The Descent

By ToddCowden

More people have visited the moon, than have found their way to the bottom of the ocean. Test piloting the mi... More

1: The Neptune
2: Close Encounter
3: Running Late
4: Mission Briefing
5: The M.A.N.T.A.
6: Welcome to Deep Blue
7: The Grand Tour
8: Doc's Briefing
9: The Bottom
10: The Need for Speed
11: Rock Collecting
12: Damage Report
13: Mission Report
14: Commander Kennedy
15: The New Sheriff in Town
16: Shifting Focus
17: Shaking Things Up a Bit
18: Early Morning Chat
19: What Light From Yonder Window Breaks?
20: The Perfect Plan
21: A Change of Plans
22: The Second Run
23: Get Out of the Way
24: Follow the Light
25: Not Alone
26: Racing Back Home
27: Meeting the Neighbors
28: He's Not From Around Here
29: A New Guest
30: You Were Right
31: Put On Some Coffee
32: The Dream
33: Surprise Gift
34: Date Night
35: Plan B
36: Another Unexpected Guest
37: One Theory
38: Empathy
39: Let the Party Begin
41: Saving the World
42: Lost and Found

40: Out of the Fire

3 0 0
By ToddCowden

"How is that even possible?", Nick asked.

"Syndi, drop the sonar image on the main screen.", Doctor Marshal ordered.

The view of the giant ship on the main screen which was already fully obstructed by the murky water, blinked away and was replaced by what could only be described as a brightly colored orange wall on the sonar display.

"That's above us?", Jordan asked.

The doctor nodded, "Yes. Syndi how much time do we have?"

The A.I. responded, "The mass will impact Deep Blue in 2 minutes and 25 seconds."

"No rock is that big.", Nick argued.

"It's not a rock.", the doctor confirmed calmly as he leaned back slowly in his chair. "It's an avalanche. A big one. It must have started higher up the wall now it's working it's way down."

"So we use the M.A.N.T.A. and the escape pods.", Nick quickly suggested. "You said there were four."

"We lost one when we lost the Southwest wing.", the doctor said pointing to the sealed door of the crushed corridor. "Besides, there's no 'piloting' those. They simply detach and shoot straight to the surface. We'd launch directly up into the path of what's coming down."

"That sounds like a short trip.", Nick joked.

The doctor nodded in agreement, "We've got to get our guest outside. If we can do that there's a chance his -- people will pick him up and move him to safety."

"What about us?", Nick inquired.

Jordan turned and headed toward her quarters, "I'll grab the M.A.N.T.A. suit. I'm pretty sure we're gonna need it."

"I'll see what I can do about Eugene.", Nick replied. "There's got to be some way we can get him out of that tube."

As Nick entered Lab 2 he noticed the shaking had finally begun to subside. Either that, or he was simply getting used to it. With the current "low light" order in place in the lab, Eugene's flashing necklace cast a strobe-like effect throughout the darkened room which gave Nick a staggered stop motion appearance as he ran to the observation tube.

Dirt and sediment flowed in from the open lid at the top of the tube. Eugene was conscious but sat almost motionless at the bottom of the tank. With the tube open, he was exposed to the lower pressure of 15,000ft and it was quickly taking a toll on his body.

"Ok, so how do I get you outta here?", Nick said as he placed a hand on the curved glass of the tank causing a holographic control panel to appear adjacent to his hand. The panel provided various readouts and data and a cluster of buttons and controls. None of the data made any sense to Nick, but he scanned the labels on the controls looking for anything that might help raise the creature out of the tube.

There were buttons for "vital signs", "environmental analysis", and "biological scans" but nothing that would indicate "eject" or "forced evacuation of the tube".

"Come on, there's got to be something here.", Nick said as his frustration grew. That's when his eyes focused past his hand, into the chamber itself. He spotted tiny bubbles rising from the tank floor. The bubbles were coming from the tank's aeration system that provided the tank with oxygen.

"Syndi", Nick called out. "Can the flow of bubbles inside the tank be controlled?"

"Of course Lieutenant Commander.", the A.I. answered. "It must be controlled as to allow the proper amount of oxygen to flow through the water in the tank."

"How high can it go?"

"I don't believe we've ever set the aeration system to its highest setting.", Syndi replied. "Would you like me to do that now?"

"Yes -- no, no not yet.", Nick corrected himself. He had what seemed like a million things running through his head, the torpedo, finding a way to get Eugene outside, and then figuring how they were going to rapidly retreat back to the Naval station on Guam.

He looked at Eugene, who returned his gaze with his oversized reflective eyes. Before Nick even said a word it looked as if the creature was already working things out.

"I don't know if you can understand me", Nick began, "but we've got to get you outta here. Your buddies are waiting just past the ridge. I'm hoping if we can get you outside, they'll send a rescue team and be able to take it from there."

"Sheppard, what are you doin'? We're a little short on time son.", the doctor asked over the station's communications system.

"I've got an idea Doc.", Nick replied. "I think I know how to get Eugene out, just give me a second."

"I'm not gonna lie," Nick said returning his focus to Eugene, "this is probably going to hurt like Hell. But I think it will get you outside."

The creature, seemed to understand the Lieutenant Commander and gave the faintest of nods as he slowly raised his right webbed hand to the glass. Nick mirrored his hand on the opposing side of the surface.

"You're probably going to want to hold your breath -- or whatever you do.", Nick said as a final warning.

"Syndi. Raise the oxygen output to its max level as fast as you can.", Nick ordered. "Give her all she's got in one shot."

"Yes Lieutenant Commander.", the A.I. answered as an explosion of millions of tiny bubbles flooded the tube from below and a burst of oxygen blasted its way through the tube.

The buoyancy of the rush of bubbles carried Eugene straight up and out of the observation tube. By the time the rush of bubbles had passed, Eugene was gone.

"It worked.", Nick said with an unexpected smile.

Doctor Marshal watched the maneuver from the control console display and smiled, "I'll be damned. He got him out."

While the doctor was relieved that the creature was free of the station, he quickly found that with all the dirt and sand disturbed by the earthquake and falling debris, he instantly lost his visual on where Eugene went. It was as if he was swallowed by the thick murky water.

"Nice job Sheppard.", the doctor said through the intercom. "Now get your butt back to the moon pool. The Commander's got your super suit."

"On my way doc.", Nick answered over the comms.

"OH! And bring the crystal with you.", the doctor added.

Nick entered the moon pool door at a sprint holding the crystal and containment sphere under his arm like a football. Commander Kennedy was standing near the control console with the doctor with the M.A.N.T.A. suit slung over her shoulder.

"I brought you something a little more appropriate to wear.", Jordan grinned as she held out the suit.

Nick placed the spherical container and enclosed crystal on the control console.

"Did he make it back to the ship?", Nick asked as he grabbed the suit and began to put it on.

"No idea.", the doctor said as he motioned to the views of the exterior cameras that were a solid gray. "Can't see a damn thing in all this muck."

"45 seconds until impact.", Syndi reminded them in the most casual tone imaginable under the circumstances.

Nick had both legs inside the M.A.N.T.A. suit and was inserting his arms into the sleeves as he began, "Ok, so the plan is we all hop in the M.A.N.T.A. somehow, kick in the Cav drive, catch this torpedo and what -- shoot it?"

"There's no room in that tiny thing for three people.", the doctor stated.

"Sure there is.", Nick disputed with a less than confidant voice.

"No there's not Sheppard.", the doctor argued as he picked up the crystal sphere and placed it in Nick's hands. "Take the crystal, and the commander and destroy that torpedo. Millions of people are counting on it."

Nick didn't like the sound of that suggestion at all.

"We're not leaving you Doc.", Nick stated as Jordan zipped up the back of the suit and secured the collar which engaged the lights on the suit.

"This isn't a discussion...", the Doctor lashed out before Syndi interjected, "Doctor, the ship is moving."

"Get in the sub doc.", Nick ordered completely oblivious to Syndi's previous statement.

"30 seconds to impact.", Syndi announced.

All three of them could feel the ground tremble from the oncoming mountain of rock and dirt.

"Thank you Syndi.", the doctor replied without turning his attention from Nick's eyes. "Get that crystal to the surface and stop that torpedo."

Nick placed the sphere aggressively on the console, "To Hell with the crystal. Get in the sub before I have to pick you up and carry you there."

"Don't be a moron.", the doctor said as he peered over Nick's shoulder at Jordan, "Commander, would you order the Lieutenant Commander to get in the sub and exit the station."

"Actually,", Jordan replied then paused a moment, "I kind of agree with him."

Syndi interrupted the argument once more this time slightly more forcefully, "The ship is repositioning itself."

"It's probably headed home.", the doctor snapped.

"No.", Syndi countered. "It's not. It's relocating -- above Deep Blue. 20 seconds to impact."

The staredown between Nick and the Doctor ended as the doctor turned his attention to the control displays, "It's doing what?"

All the external cameras still showed zero visibility from the cloudy water, but Syndi was tracking the craft on sonar. She displayed a top down sonar readout of the alien ship's location on one of the smaller displays. The doctor, Nick and Jordan all watched as the huge bright orange mass on sonar slowly moved toward Deep Blue until it was positioned directly above the station, covering the entire structure.

"Wouldn't that put it...", Nick began before Jordan finished his question, "directly in the path of the avalanche?"

"10 seconds to impact.", Syndi announced and all eyes were locked on the main screen that showed a live sonar update of the solid mass of rock, dirt and debris that was tumbling down the cliff above them.

"You guys missed your chance.", the doctor muttered under his breath.

"I told you,", Nick answered, "we're not leaving without you."

"5...4...3...", Syndi counted down.

As she did, the first wave of smaller debris began to fall all around the station. They could hear the impacts outside, but most of it was missing Deep Blue. The alien ship parked above the station was deflecting the majority of the material.

"2...1..."

The rumble of falling rocks and debris grew to a roar as the leading edge of the avalanche overtook Deep Blue's position. Although the massive ship served as a giant umbrella which blocked the majority of the fallout, some of the rocks fell off the ship and continued to roll to the ridge the station rested on.

Impacts were heard all over Deep Blue. The intense vibration grew to an all out shaking and shuttering throughout the station. The doctor held firm to his chair that was secured to the floor, while Nick and Jordan were both knocked to the ground.

"Syndi!", the doctor shouted over the noise. "Seal the moon pool. Lock everything down in the station."

"Yes Doctor.", Syndi replied but was barely audible over the noise.

Giant impacts reverberated through the station. They heard the unmistakable sound of imploding corridors like the Southwest wing, but at the present time they had no idea which corridors they lost.

"Warning. Total collapse of --", Syndi announced but he rest of her message was drowned out by the chaos.

Lights flashed then went dark which engaged the dim battery powered emergency lighting. The control console displays and console went dark. Sparks fell from some blown electrical equipment in the dome ceiling high above.

The shaking grew so intense Nick believed the station was going to shake itself apart at any moment.

Something huge hit one of the supports that mounted the station to the ridge and crumpled the support causing Deep Blue to list to a 30 degree angle which popped one or two other supports. The shift caused Jordan to slide toward the pool but as she approached the edge Nick reached out and caught her arm.

"I got ya."

The Stooges fell from their ~charging stations and crashed to the ground. Air tanks broke free from their storage compartments and rolled across the metal floor, some made it all the way to the moon pool and splashed down in the water.

Jordan held as tightly as she could to the railing around central pool as the floor tilted steeply. As bad as Deep Blue was, Jordan couldn't imagine the impact the ship above them was enduring. She just hoped the ship itself didn't come crashing down on their heads.

The sphere container that held the crystal rolled off the control console and tumbled toward the ground -- but was caught at the last second by Nick's outstretched hand.

Syndi continued calling out damage report updates, "Warning. Extreme flooding in Lab 1 and...", but most of the messages were indistinguishable.

The ordeal seemed to last forever, but eventually they shaking subsided.

As the rumbling faded, other sounds echoed through the moon pool. Sounds you didn't want to hear 15,000ft below the surface. Electrical arcs sparked from the robotic arms overhead and the sound of spraying water could be heard from various locations around the moon pool. Their entire world was tilted and dimly lit by the emergency lights, but somehow they were all still alive.

"Syndi.", the Doctor called out. "Damage report."

"Total collapse of corridors 1 and 5. Corridors 2, 3 and 6 are completely flooded.", the A.I. reported.

"Total implosion of Lab 1. Main power and O2 production are offline and flooded.", she continued, "And there are extensive water leaks in the central Moon Pool and backup server room."

"No.", the doctor mumbled as if someone had knocked the wind out of him. "Not the backup room."

Nick stood and helped Jordan to her feet. The dim emergency lights made it difficult to make a visual check of their surroundings. The water in the moon pool was still churning, but the M.A.N.T.A. didn't look too damaged.

"Ok.", Nick said as he brushed himself off and secured the crystal sphere under his arm. "What's the plan now? We've still got a torpedo to catch."

Doctor Marshal sat motionless in his chair. Occasionally an explosion of sparks would flash across his face revealing his expression. It was one of utter defeat.

"Syndi.", the doctor said quietly, "how long before the backup room is flooded?"

"The room will fill with water in approximately 32 minutes.", the A.I. answered.

"How long before...", the doctor started but paused, "before the water reaches the servers?"

"17 minutes Doctor."

Nick and Jordan approached the control console, and the doctor. They stood before him in silence for a moment before Nick asked, "How many of those life pods are available now?"

"One.", the doctor answered without even looking up.

"The one here in the moon pool.", he said casually pointing to the southern side of the room just beyond the control console.

Nick felt a little foolish that he hadn't noticed it before, tucked behind the console and the array of displays, but sure enough there was a narrow hatch marked "Emergency".

"Ok then.", Nick continued in the most encouraging tone he could muster. "You and Jordan take the emergency express elevator up, along with the crystal, and I'll chase down that torpedo in the M.A.N.T.A. You guys get picked up by Nathan and the crew, and I'll meet you in Guam as soon as I can."

The doctor remained silent.

After a moment Jordan tried softly, "Doc? Doctor Marshal."

"I can't leave her.", he finally replied without moving a muscle.

"You can't leave who?", Nick asked but the doctor didn't answer.

"Syndi?", Nick asked.

"This is where it ended for her.", the doctor said solemnly. "Seems fitting that this is where I'll be."

As he spoke, it was clear the doctor wasn't referring to the A.I. he had constructed, he was referring to someone else.

"Syndi isn't Chase Doc.", Nick said sincerely. "She's not your daught..."

"Don't.", the doctor interrupted him and raised his gaze to meet Nick's. There was a whirlwind of emotion behind his eyes, sorrow, pain, regret, sadness, and a growing rage. The doctor slowly rose from his chair causing Nick to take a step back.

"Don't pretend to think you know a damn thing about..."

"You can't simply program a new daughter.", Nick interrupted him before he could finish his statement.

"Stop."

Nick continued, "Doc, Syndi is just a computer."

"Shut up."

"Do you seriously think Chase would want you to die -- here!?", Nick asked throwing his arms out wide to what was left of the moon pool and Deep Blue. Nick then slowly demanded, "Get in the life pod."

"I'm warning you Sheppard.", the rage in the doctor's voice grew as did his volume.

"Chase is dead doc.", Nick said as a matter of fact. "That doesn't mean you have to die too."

"Get off my station!", the doctor yelled as he stood toe-to-toe with Nick.

Nick didn't back away but took a moment, then nodded, "Alright."

He'd tried to talk him into the life pod but apparently that approach wasn't going to work.

"You got it.", Nick replied right before he clenched his right and connected an enormous right hook with the doctor's jaw.

The surprise punch caught the doctor off guard and he spun and dropped like a sack of potatoes.

"But you first. Sorry doc."

"Nick!", Jordan exclaimed as the Lieutenant Commander bent over to pick up the doctor as he placed the doctor's arm over his shoulder.

"Help me get his other arm.", Nick requested.

Jordan was still trying to process the last few moments as she helped Nick get the doctor's unconscious body vertical.

"What were you thinking?"

"Well, I was thinking we were running out of time and he wasn't going to get in the life pod without Syndi.", Nick replied. "The punch was more or less a last minute improvisation."

The two carried the doctor to the life pod where Nick opened the hatch and carefully placed the doctor's lifeless body inside.

After they sat the doctor in the tiny seat in the life pod that barely had enough room for one person, Jordan turned to Nick and asked, "So let me guess. I take the crystal, and the doctor in this cramped little life pod and you go after the torpedo in the M.A.N.T.A.?"

Nick nodded, "That's pretty much what I was thinking."

"And Syndi?", Jordan asked.

"Yes, what about me?", the A.I. asked, obviously still able to access the stations audio systems.

Nick shook his head, "We can't even get to her."

He really did want to save her, truth be told she'd grown on him, but there was just no way to get through the flooded corridor or even open the door to the backup room without instantly flooding it.

"I'm sorry Syndi.", Nick said addressing the A.I., "It's impossible."

Then Jordan had a thought, "What if we didn't have to?"

"What do you mean?"

Jordan continued her brainstorm aloud, "What if we didn't have to get to her. What if we brought her to you?"

Nick wasn't following, "The servers are past that flooded corridor, behind a sealed door..."

Jordan interrupted him with a smile, "But we don't need to save the servers, we just need to save the program."

Slowly Nick was beginning to get the picture, "We download her over the wireless."

Jordan nodded, "It'll be slow, but it'll work."

"But the control console is busted.", Nick said motioning to the darken console.

"We don't use the control console.", Jordan replied as she turned her head to the Moon Pool. "I told you, we bring her to you."

Nick finally connected the dots and smiled, "We use the M.A.N.T.A."

Jordan nodded slowly, "She's got plenty of room in the system."

Nick's smile finally matched Jordan's.

"Syndi,", Jordan called out, "transfer your entire program to the M.A.N.T.A.'s computer."

"Yes Commander.", the A.I. replied.

Jordan looked at Nick and grinned, "Didn't the doctor tell you never say anything was impossible down here?"

At that moment the flooring shifted slightly as the station continued to settle and structural pieces under stress continued to collapse. The water was rising throughout the station as metallic creaks and groans reverberated through the air. Deep Blue was dying and there was no stopping it.

Jordan stood in the open hatch of the life pod.

"You guys have go to get out of here.", Nick said urgently as he placed a hand on her shoulder and gently moved her inside the pod. He took a step back to make room for the hatch to close.

For a life pod that was designed for one seated person it was going to be a cozy trip. It became immediately clear that Jordan would spend the entire trip standing in front of the unconscious doctor, at least until he woke up. Nick was incredibly grateful that he wouldn't be present for that moment, but as Nick looked at Jordan, he found it increasingly harder to let go of this moment.

Jordan's face, dimly lit by the sparsely placed emergency lights seemed angelic. Flashes from electrical arcs sporadically lit her cheeks and eyes like fireworks as sparks rained down around them. Even in the darkness, Nick saw every little detail. He didn't need the light, he had them all memorized. The way her right eyebrow usually rested slightly higher than her left. Those few strands of stray hair that always dangled in front of her face. The exact tint of her sky blue eyes and the tiny creases in her cheeks when she smiled.

Jordan returned his gaze but also found herself at a loss for words. The entire world was literally crashing down around the two, and they didn't even notice. All they knew was that the three feet between them felt like 3,000.

"Nick.", Jordan said softly finally getting the word past her lips.

Upon hearing his name, Nick snapped back into the present moment and realized he'd almost forgotten something.

"OH! I almost forgot.", he exclaimed, cutting her off, as he held out the crystal sphere he'd been holding under his arm. "I guess you want this."

Nick took two steps toward her to deliver the sphere when metal screamed and the ground shifted once again knocking both of them off balance.

It was unclear whether Nick fell toward Jordan, or she toward him, all they both knew for sure was that they found themselves locked together in a kiss with each of their hands wrapped around the glowing sphere between them. The sudden structural shift caused circuits to blow and seams to pop showering them in golden sparks and spraying water, but neither acknowledged the danger.

Nick was lost in the softness of Jordan's lips as the M.A.N.T.A. suit turned purple, exposing his racing heart that pounded as if it would burst from his chest at any moment. Nick had kissed many women, too many most likely, but none had felt like this.

They held the kiss a moment longer as their clothes and hair became drenched and water ran down their faces. As their lips parted, each slowly opened their eyes. It took a moment longer for reality to begin to come into focus.

Nick gently pushed the sphere and Jordan into the life pod and let go.

"Go.", he said. "I'll see you topside."

Jordan took step back as she held the glowing sphere in one hand and grabbed the hatch with the other.

"You'd better.", she replied.

"Bring my ship back in one piece.", she added as she smiled and closed the hatch.

"One piece.", she mouthed through the glass window but the sound was canceled by the hatch.

"What do you mean your ship?", Nick teased.

Nick took another step back into the rising water and gave Jordan a final grin and nod.

And with the push of a button, the life pod carrying Jordan, the doctor and the crystal began its ascent to the surface in a torrent of bubbles.

Nick breathed a sigh of relief knowing that in about 2 hours the pod would breach the surface of the water and they would safely be picked up by Nathan and crew.

"Syndi.", Nick called out to his new co-pilot. "How much time do we have until the torpedo gets to the crevasse?"

"10 minutes, by my calculations."

Nick gave a definitive nod, "Then let's go save the world."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 3 120
A 2019 Wattys entry deeply into climate change, global warming, and environmental destruction, especially the nuclear kind! A lot of true facts are...
660K 27.4K 45
(NOT EDITED AT ALL) (LOTS OF GRAMMAR ERRORS) (I was young when I wrote this lol) "You're special, fire boy," the man grins, "you and the others are...
Rhodoreef By Su Vida

Science Fiction

12.2K 2.3K 53
๐—”๐— ๐—•๐—ฌ๐—ฆ ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿฏ ๐—ช๐—œ๐—ก๐—ก๐—˜๐—ฅ ยท 23x FEATURED ยท An Asian sci-fi retelling of The Little Mermaid that steers the tale you know in a whole new funky...
Human By Katie

Science Fiction

2.4K 101 27
Katie is no one special. To her, she was a shy insecure girl that didn't have a clue of what to do with her life. To her friends, she was a silly gir...