The Legend of Perseus: The La...

By Anaklusmos14

The ancient world was a harsh and unforgiving place. Alone and without family, a child has almost no hope of... More

Ch. 1
Ch.2
Ch. 4
Ch. 5
Ch. 6
Ch. 7
Ch. 8
Ch. 9
Ch. 10
Ch. 11
Ch. 12
Ch. 13
Ch. 14
Ch. 15
Ch. 16
Ch. 17
Ch. 18
Ch. 19
Ch. 20
Ch. 21
Ch. 22
Ch. 23 V2

Ch.3

10.7K 321 228
By Anaklusmos14

Ch. 3

A lot can change in six months.

Looking back, Perseus could have never imagined himself being where he now was.

His former self probably wouldn’t even recognize him.

The half-starved runt living moment to moment had been replaced with a completely different person; a different body and an entirely different life.

He no longer slept wherever he could find shelter. He didn’t take and steal what he could to feed himself, foraging and even looking through trash when he was in a really bad spot.

No, this was nothing like what he had known for most of his difficult life.

He now had a roof over his head and food provided for him on a daily basis. For the past couple months, since their arrival, Heracles and he had lived under the care of King Eurystheus, in his kingdom of Tiryns, one of the three strongholds of Argolis.

The king had taken the two demigods into his kingdom with little to no questions of their reasons. Perseus wondered if they had been expected but Heracles had told him to keep his questions to himself and follow his lead as they settled in to their new home.

Though he kept his tongue, it did not stop his internal questioning of the king’s true intentions.

It wasn’t that the king was a bad man. In fact, he had offered nothing but kindness and generosity to both he and Heracles since their arrival. But something about the small and feeble looking monarch unsettled Perseus. He knew Heracles felt the same way. He never said anything but the way he would stiffen when the king approached and was always careful to keep a watchful eye when the lord of the land was around told him they were both getting the same vibe.

His kindness was faux. He wasn’t doing it out of the kindness of his heart. In fact, looking at the way he treated some of his subjects, Perseus wondered if there was any kindness in there. But he did not question it, he kept his head down and was polite and respectful, just as Heracles had instructed him.

His relationship with the son of Zeus was one of the biggest changes. It took a little bit but after a few weeks, Perseus let him guard down and found Heracles was true to his word. He seemed to have no ulterior motives and merely wished for companionship and to help Perseus to understand the mythical and magical world around them.

It began with archery.

Heracles, for his size, strength, and skill with most weapons, seemed to favor the bow over all others. He was also rather keen to a celestial bronze studded club he had crafted shortly after their arrival in Tiryns but he still preferred the bow as his weapon of choice. It took him a few days after leaving Delphi but he carved Perseus the most beautiful bow the young demigod had ever laid eyes on. For all his brute strength, Heracles had a skill with his hands that would leave the greatest craftsmen in want for the grace in which he could work on small objects.

Elegant yet powerful, it took him a while to learn how to wield his new gift. Just drawing the bowstring back had been a challenge in itself. But after a few weeks and some solid meals in him, Perseus’ strength grew rapidly. Though he hadn’t noticed it until he had walked alongside a fountain in the city, his body had undergone a transformation of its own.

The emaciated figure that had arrived in the city was replaced with that of a healthy, active young lad. His face had filled out first and the rest of his body soon followed. Now when he pulled his bowstring back, he could see the veins in his arms overlapping the newly created muscles that covered his frame.

He looked nothing like Heracles who appeared to have been carved out of rock, but now Perseus actually had muscles. Life alongside the son of Zeus was anything but easy. Constantly training and always working, Perseus’ strength had no choice but to increase tenfold. Getting three hearty meals a day to go along with his training kept his body toned but always getting stronger. He had always considered himself quick but now he could really move. Learning to hunt alongside Heracles showed him the true meaning of speed as they would traverse the nearby woods hunting wildlife as if they were wild animals themselves.

The only thing he had yet to learn from Heracles was the reason they were in the city. Occasionally Perseus would bring up their visit to the Oracle of Delphi but Heracles was always quick to change the subject before he could breach the topic of the penance Heracles had been given to serve.

Though his curiosity was peaked, Heracles had earned his trust. He did not push the topic both out of respect and out of fear for angering the one person who seemed to care for him in the world.

But after months of living in Tiryns, Perseus was also starting to wonder what they were doing there. Heracles was supposed to be completing twelve tasks given to him by King Eurystheus. And yet, to that point, Heracles had made no mention of anything outside of their training. The son of Zeus would meet with the king in private but never spoke of their conversations when he returned.

Instead, he seemed focused on training his young companion. Perseus had become quite skilled with a bow and was beginning to master the sword and the spear under his mentor’s tutelage.

His current training was with the spear.

He looked across from him where Heracles stood, a spear and shield in his hand and looking rather relaxed as he smiled amusedly at him. Perseus on the other hand was dripping with sweat. He had a number of small cuts and scrapes from close calls and was bruised and sore from a number of failed attacks.

“Let your instincts guide you. You’re trying to force it too much. Allow the other thoughts to melt from your mind.”

Perseus stared at him, wiping the sweat from his face, his frustration growing at the instruction or lack thereof he was getting.

Heracles just sighed and waved his opponent on.

Perseus lunged forward, going for a quick decisive blow but only found air. Heracles tilted his body to the side and stepped forward, whacking Perseus in the side with his spear.

“Stop thinking so much! Let your training guide you!” He scolded before jumping into offense. He dropped his shield and grabbed his weapon with both hands, thrusting it at Perseus head. The son of Poseidon ducked and then spun away from a second blow aimed at his chest. Rather than give him time to recover, Heracles pressed on, sending a barrage of quick thrusts and jabs that Perseus only avoided with his quick reflexes.

He continued pressing on, forcing Perseus to focus solely on not getting killed. He feinted a blow at the legs and quickly drove his spear at the chest. Perseus read the move, having seen it before and used his forearm to deflect the blow wide and jam the butt of his weapon into Heracles stomach. Heracles grunted in pain but before he could recover, a blow to the side of his leg dropped him to a knee. When he looked up, he found the business end of a spear mere inches from his throat.

“Yield!”

Heracles cracked into a grin, “Aye, my boy. Well done.”

Perseus lowered his spear and stepped back, hunching over with his hands on his knees as he tried to catch his breath from the battle and rush of adrenaline.

“Do you see?” Heracles asked. “When you allow your mind to go blank, your body will do what it does naturally and protect itself.”

Perseus looked up, brushing some of the long dark hair from his eyes.

“You weren’t trying.”

Heracles just smiled, “As hard as I could? Aye, you’re correct. But harder than I was last time we sparred? Yes, and that shows your improvement. It will not happen overnight, you will improve slowly over time until the act of battle comes as second nature to you.”

Perseus stuck his spear into the ground and wiped more of the sweat from his face. His body ached all over; they had been at it for hours. He knew Heracles was right but couldn’t bring himself to admit it. Heracles was a merciless trainer and it was difficult to have a civil conversation with the person who drove you to your breaking point on a daily basis. But he knew how much improvement he had made. Six months ago, he was running around waving a rusty old bronze dagger and now he was on his way to mastering the bow, sword, and spear. Considering his starting point, there was no denying the effectiveness of the training.

But it didn’t mean he had to like it, let alone admit it to Heracles.

Heracles glanced up at the sun and his expression sobered quickly.

“You should go to the lake. Wash up and heal your wounds, I will meet you for dinner afterword.”

Perseus glanced at him, a look of confusion on his face.

“I must speak with Eurystheus. I will join you afterword.” His tone made it clear the topic was not open for discussion and Perseus knew that. He nodded and plucked his spear from the earth, beginning to make his way out of their makeshift arena when Heracles spoke again.

“Make ready your things, I believe we will be leaving at first light on the morrow.”

Perseus turned but Heracles was already on his way to the palace, leaving the son of Poseidon to wonder what he meant by that. Shaking his head, Perseus decided he would ask later and that his body was in need of a visit to the lake as he caught a whiff of himself and found the smell less than appealing.

-X-

Perseus sat at on the floor of the lake. He was only about ten feet out but the water was a few feet taller than he was. He sat on the sandy floor, his arms and legs outstretched as he felt the water closing up his wounds and healing the bruises that had covered his body.

Since learning of his ability to breathe underwater, he had grown rather fond of using this newfound power to find an escape where he could be alone with his thoughts. He often stayed underwater for several minutes at a time, as long as there was no one around to question how he would resurface alive after should have drowning.

It was so serene under the water. His mind always felt clearer and his body better rested. He wondered if all sons of Poseidon had this power. That is if they were any other demigod children of the sea god. Part of him wished he could meet his father. He had so many questions and so few answers. Heracles told him what he could but he couldn’t answer very many questions about being a son of Poseidon.

In truth, Heracles probably had at least as many questions as he did, but given the fact that their fathers were immortal gods, answers to these questions were few and far between.

As he sat there with only his thoughts, the faint figure of a shadow over the water quickly put an end to his musings. Preparing for theatrics, he kicked himself upwards, taking a quick and exaggerated breath as soon as he broke the surface, hoping whoever was on the shore had just arrived and would believe that he had just been under for a believable period of time.

Making sure to allow himself to get wet, Perseus swam to the shore where an elderly woman was rinsing clothes in the lake waters. When she saw him exit the water, she gave him what looked like a knowing smile.

“My heavens,” she chuckled. “Those must be healthy lungs you have child.”

Perseus brushed some of the water from his face and smiled politely at the woman.

“The water was so refreshing, I started to forget I needed to breathe.”

She laughed quietly and continued rinsing some of her clothes. Perseus grabbed his shirt and began to walk away when she spoke again.

“Such a rarity seeing you without your father.”

Perseus stopped and gave the woman an amused smile, “Heracles is not my father, my lady. My parents died long ago. He found me a while back and has taken me under his care.”

The woman squeezed some of the water from his clothes.

“Well isn’t that so generous of him.” Her tone made Perseus pause. There was a distinct bitterness to her voice that confused him.

“Pardon, my lady?”

She rung the sheet in her hands, an unmistakable sneer overtaking her previously friendly face.

“Unnatural for a man his age to take a mere child into his care.” She looked up, her brown eyes meeting his sea green ones. He nearly did a double take when he saw the hue of her eyes. It was almost as if they had a slight glow to them, the brown so brilliant it was breathtaking. “Malice runs through the heart of that man. I would not say anything if I were not worried for your well-being, my child. Only pain and suffering can be found in the company of a man such as that one. If you were wise, you would distance yourself first opportunity you have.”

Perseus stared at her. What had started as an innocent conversation had quickly turned dark. He had no idea who this woman was or why she was saying any of this. He’d never seen her before in his life; how she seemed to know so much about Heracles confused him greatly.

Thunder rumbled overhead.

Perseus turned as a bolt of lightning shot across the sky in the distance. The skies overhead were blue but a storm could be seen brewing across the valley. Lighting crackled and lit up the distant cloudy skies almost as if the sky itself were angry. Perseus turned back to the woman and stumbled back in shock.

She was gone.

There was nothing. No clothes, no woman, no sign that anyone had been even been there.

“Perseus!” A voice called and he flinched back again, confused and honestly scared of what he just saw.

Heracles made his way closer, slowing down when he saw the bewilderment on his young friend’s face.

“What? What’s wrong?”

Perseus was still looking around, trying to find the woman when Heracles grabbed hold of his shoulders.

“I… I just…” He stopped as Heracles held him in place. “Nothing.” He lied. “I… I just thought I saw something.”

Heracles didn’t look convinced. He tried to stare the truth out of him but Perseus slowly seemed to regain his composure and shook off his hands.

“I’m fine. I thought I saw something but it was nothing. I think I’m just weary from today’s training.”

“Alright,” Heracles conceded, though he still didn’t believe him. “Come, we have much to discuss. We can do it over tonight’s meal.”

He led Perseus back towards the hut the two shared a short distance from the lake. Once they were seated at the table and began to eat, he waited for the right moment to start.

“I know you have wondered why we’re here.” Heracles said bluntly, stopping Perseus mid bite of his bread. “I think it is time you learned why it was we crossed paths and traveled to Delphi.”

Perseus set down his food. He looked up at the older man, very interested in finally learning the truth about why Heracles had a penance that had to be paid to the gods themselves.

Heracles took a deep breath. His body was relaxed but his eyes gave away the truth. There was a deep sadness in them, one that could be seen at times but was always pushed away before it became too obvious.

“Before I met you, I had a family.” Perseus’ eyes went wide but Heracles continued before he could ask anything. “I..” Heracles choked up a bit and cleared his throat. “Something happened. I don’t know what or why, but something, or someone turned me mad.”

“Someone?” Perseus cut in as his curiosity bested his politeness.

Heracles ran a hand through his long blonde hair. “I don’t know. Something or someone overtook my body. I loved,” he stopped himself. “I love my family. My sons, were my world. Given the choice, I would lay down my life in an instant to bring even just one of them back.”

Perseus could see where this was going and felt a shiver run down his back.

“I killed them. My wife. My sons. Everything that mattered to me. I only recall parts, flashes from that night. They haunt my dreams and torment my soul.”

“Someone made you kill them? Who could make you kill your family?” Perseus asked. He was in shock. Heracles had seemed gentle and caring. A strict and demanding trainer but a kind person anywhere outside of battle or hunting.

Heracles’ face darkened. His lips curled into an ugly sneer.

“Hera.” He growled in a tone that made Perseus want to put some distance between the two of them. “She torments me. Despises my existence and punishes me for my father’s infidelity. Only she could be so evil as to punish me by taking the lives of those I love most. As if I chose to be born a son of Zeus! I know in my heart she is behind my family’s murder.”

Perseus was silent. He was honestly at a loss for words. He wasn’t sure what to think. The goddess Hera forced Heracles to kill his own family? Even for a goddess, that seemed evil. He looked at Heracles whose sneer had vanished and the pain had returned to his eyes. A deep pain that was so genuine it was impossible to doubt its authenticity.

“And to atone for your crime, the oracle has ordered you to perform twelve tasks for King Eurystheus?”

Heracles nodded, “I prayed to Apollo to ask him cleanse my spirit of this evil. That is why I sought the Oracle, she speaks the words of Phoebus Apollo to the mortal world.”

“Then why have we just been living here? Shouldn’t you be beginning your tasks so we can be done with it?”

“The King has been contemplating my first task. I ask him constantly to command me but he waits. He says a task must be a worthy punishment for the crime.” Heracles tone was bitter and his frustration could be easily picked up on. “But he has finally assigned me the first task and it is a near impossible feat if it is to be completed.”

Perseus waited, eager to hear what kind of task he had been given.

“I am to slay the Nemean Lion.”

Perseus’ mouth fell open. He had heard of the monstrous lion that haunted Nemea. Impervious to the weapons of man and at least the size of their hut­, it was one of the most feared creatures in the land. It was said the lion would take women and use them to lure men to its cave. When the men would see the women and try to rescue them, the lion would emerge and devour them, saving only the bones for Hades. As a boy, we always doubted that such a creature could exist. But now, after the things he had seen, he knew it to be true.

“What will you do?” He finally asked, unsure how such a task could even be done.

Heracles grabbed a piece of bread and took a bite.

“It is what we will do, my boy.” Heracles corrected. “I dare not leave you alone here. I do not trust Eurystheus. We must do this together or we must part ways. I will handle the beast but I wish for you to accompany me, if you are willing. As I have told you, you a free man and can come and go as you please but I will not leave you alone under the care of Eurystheus.

Perseus looked down at his food. He suddenly felt less hungry after everything he had heard. The conversation with the vanishing woman also ran through his mind.

Malice runs through the heart of that man.

Was she right? Was Heracles evil? What if he wanted Perseus along as bait for the monster?

Then the words of the Oracle came back to him.

Greatness is at one end, irrelevance at the other.

He swallowed back his fears.

“I’m coming with you.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.9K 47 10
3,000 years ago the gods and their children ran off a single Demi-god. But not just any demi-god. Percy Jackson, their savior. He swore never to retu...
584K 17.3K 43
she craved to belong in a world full of monsters, gods, and magic. he just craved to be normal. sometimes you don't always get what you want. [book 1...
215K 5.8K 52
This was a one-shot from my Percy Jackson one-shots. It evolved into a story somehow... Well, enjoy then. ----- Percy has faced many things in life...
164K 5.8K 35
she knew that sometimes, you had to break the rules. even if that means risking yourself for the safety of others. [book 2 in the Unclaimed Daughter...