Faithless Memories

By chaosmoon75

"Can you really not remember your name? If that's the case, why don't I give you one for now?" Zack found a g... More

Stranger in Our Midst
Recovery
Encounter in the Woods
Part of the Family
Confronting the Future
Locked Memories
Training
Heartbreaking Decisions
Breaking the News
Setting Out
The Adventures of Traveling
Crossing the Ocean
Making it to Midgar
Settling In
Tryouts
Coming of Age
Becoming a Soldier
Why Purple?
To Sector Five
Celebration
Challenge?
Spar
Unexpected Offer
Agreement
First Date - Sort Of
Join Shinra?
Job Offer
Invite
Weighing the Options
Surprise Lunch
Time to Decide
New Friends
Finally, A Real Date
Truce
Male Pride
New Job
Classroom
First Kiss
Worries
What Had Been Hidden
A Brother's Defense
Appreciative Gift
Brighter Than the Stars
End of Summer
Injury
Together Yet Apart
Tell Her Something
Letting Go
What Was Lost...
...Now Is Found
Man or Monster
A Hint to the Past
A Decision Made
Changes
Unbury the Past
Even Angels Have Their Demons
Facing the Facts
Unraveled
Cold Hard Truth
Murdered
Next Steps
Despite the Uncertainty
Healing Genesis
Aftereffects
Happy News?
Still Work to be Done
Back to Midgar
Unexpected Addition
To Junon
Examination
Face From the Past
Meeting the In-Laws
Into Nibelheim
The Devil Within
Enter the Gunman
Captured
Still Under the Influence
Up Mount Nibel
Into the Reactor
Facing the Beast
By the Skin of Our Teeth
Impossible Choices
Time to Decide
Revelations of a Madman
Breaking the News
Home Again
Awake
Home is Where the Heart Is

Stop in Gongaga

40 4 0
By chaosmoon75

Chapter 73

Kris' hands went to her shades before she could stop the gesture. She shared a look with both Genesis and Zack before she cleared her throat. This was not going to be a pleasant conversation. "Mom, Dad, before we do, there is something you need to know. A lot has happened, and I don't want you to freak out. Just know that I'm okay."

Both of them stared at her for a moment with concern. She finally sighed and pulled her glasses off. She tried not to let their horrified looks get to her, but she couldn't manage to stop her tears. Though, as soon as Sarah saw them, she moved to wrap Kris in a hug. "Shh, it'll be alright. We are here for you. Why don't you sit here and tell us what this is all about?"

Despite how worried she was about everything, Kris felt comforted by that embrace. No matter how nervous she had been, it was nice to know she did have a place to call home. She wiped at her eyes before she nodded and grabbed Genesis' hand. They all went to the table, and Sarah pulled out an extra chair. After they were seated, both Zack and Kris launched into the tale of everything that had happened over the last two months, including the return of Kris' memories.

-----------------------

To say that Sarah and Zeke were stunned once everything was revealed was an understatement. Still, both Zack and Kris were relieved when their parents' only response was concern. Kris almost felt like the weight of the world had been removed from her shoulders. Having them both reassure her that they never wanted to try and take the place of the father she lost, but they still considered her a Fair was the best thing she could have heard.

They had barely finished their tale before there was a knock at the door. They had all almost forgotten that there were three more guests expected. Sarah wiped the last of her tears away before she answered the door with a smile. "I suppose you are right on time, but I'm afraid we haven't finished dinner yet. Why don't you all three come in and wait while I get that done."

Kris stood to join her. "I'll help. The guys can all talk things out while we cook."

Sarah gave her a smile and a nod. All of the guests except for Reno looked slightly uncomfortable. Especially after Zeke stood and gestured for Genesis to follow him outside. Kris looked like she was about to follow them, but Sarah placed a hand on her arm to stop her. She shook her head and lowered her voice. "Don't worry. Whatever Zeke has to say won't be bad enough to run the fellow off. I can see that much just by the way he watches you when you aren't looking." She then smiled and squeezed Kris' hand. "I can't say that what you have said doesn't worry me, but at least I know you have someone out there that will stop the world to keep you safe if it comes to it."

Kris' resultant smile was bright enough to light up her face. Before they could move on to cooking, both their attention was drawn by loud laughter. Zack had given the others a quick tour, and something about the house had Reno laughing his ass off. He came out of the back room and grinned at Kris. "So, you had to share a room, eh? That wasn't uncomfortable?"

Kris rolled her eyes. "Don't think I've forgotten where you grew up. I'm sure if you had any siblings, it would have been the same. A person does what they have to, and trust me, I'm more comfortable with Zack then I would ever be with you."

Sarah gave Kris a questioning look at her harsh teasing, but it melted away when she heard the redhead laugh. She even smiled when she overheard his response. "Touché Fair. At least I know you have roots to keep you humble. I was a little worried when I heard about your upbringing, and the fact that you were engaged to Commander Cranky."

He then clapped Zack on the shoulder. "I didn't want to only be stuck with this guy for company when we get back to Midgar."

Kris chuckled but turned around to help Sarah with dinner. She threw her response back over her shoulder. "It won't be Genesis that keeps me from going out. That doesn't mean I won't have someone to keep me busy."

She missed Reno's grin, but not his words. "Nah, don't worry. If ya wanna go out, Uncle Zack and Uncle Reno have you covered."

Kris turned back around and raised a brow at him. "If you think I am insane enough to leave my child with you, think again."

Despite the nature of the words shared between the two, Sarah was pleased to see that her children had such good friends. She watched as the rest of the group got into a debate over how wise it was to leave an infant with any of them. Even the General and Commander Hewley got involved. She couldn't hold back a giggle at how animated they were over such a silly subject. It was a great reminder that these men who had been through so much, that the world thought of as terrifying, they were human too. They were no more monsters than she was, and it helped ease her worry.

After that, the men all devolved into random conversations. Even after Genesis and Zeke returned. When they came in, Kris gave him a curious look, but he just shook his head and smiled. That eased her worry. She knew he had a temper sometimes, but at least it seemed as though he had managed to hold it this time.

It was late when everyone finally decided to turn in. They had all stayed after dinner to sit and talk. Kris had found the sight of everyone crammed into their home to be humorous, but it was the first time she had felt nearly normal since her memories returned. Despite what they still needed to face, she was glad they had the chance to stop. It served as a reminder that life went on. People learned to adapt, and no matter how things happened in the past, she would not ever have to fear such betrayal again.

Once Zeke gave notice that he was done for the night, everyone started to shuffle out. That was the first time that any of them brought up the question of where they were to sleep. They had managed to get two rooms at the inn, but there were no others. Kris had been correct that Genesis did not want to sleep in a separate room from her.

Despite Zeke's adamantly expressed dislike of the idea, Kris finally decided to let Reno have her bed for the night. She and Genesis would take one room and Sephiroth and Angeal the other. Zack would sleep in his own bed. He wasn't thrilled with the idea of listening to Reno snore, but those arrangements made the most sense.

As Kris was leaving, she shot Reno a devious grin. "I hope you like the bed, just make sure you take mine and not his. Mom may have washed his sheets after we left, but if not, I feel for you if he tricks you into swapping."

Zack let out a loud protest that his sheets did not stink that had the rest of the group laughing. Genesis was tempted to add his own prodding at the boy but thought better of it when he saw his fiancé's smile. He missed the sight of it too much to ruin the moment. For now, he was just happy to see her relaxed. He would give anything to keep that look on her face for the rest of their lives.

That was precisely what he had told her father as well. Despite the lack of blood relations, he had no doubt the Fairs cared about her. She was their family. The thought made him think of his own parents. Despite how betrayed he had felt, he had come to realize how blessed he had been. Both of them were. Neither of them had their blood relations anymore, but they did not lack for it. The people around them cared enough to bridge that gap, even if they could not erase the past.

He waited patiently for her to tell her parents goodnight and gave them a promise that she would be back in time to help with breakfast. They both gave her a hug before they shocked him. Sarah smiled before she gave him a hug, as well, and Zeke held out his hand to shake. Genesis could hardly believe this was the same man that had threatened him earlier.

Zeke gave him a small smile and a nod. "I suppose we should welcome you to the family properly. Just make sure you stop by as often as you can. We don't want to miss seeing our grandchild grow up."

Kris was practically beaming as they finally walked out and toward the inn. She was lost in her own little world as they headed into the room. There were two small beds, but neither of them cared that they would be sharing one.

When they finally laid down, Genesis pulled her close and kissed the top of her head. "My love, your desire is the bringer of life, the gift of the Goddess. I wasn't sure what to expect when we arrived here, but I am glad I agreed to come. I now know that our child will never lack for love. From you and I, as well as all four of her grandparents."

Kris leaned her head back and grinned up at him. "Her, huh?"

He smirked as he leaned down and kissed her. "Call it a hunch, but have no fear. I will be satisfied as long as the baby is healthy, and you are unharmed."

Kris felt a slight stirring of her worry again, but she shoved it aside. Just for this short stay, she refused to let it get her down. She could think about it while they finished the trip to Nibelheim. With that thought in mind, she curled closer to Genesis and drifted into a deep and thankfully dreamless sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.7K 595 19
Pardon some grammatical errors, I created this a few years ago, way back 2015. t was a tragic ending for her.. Yes.....Tragic.. But for him.. It was...
13.7K 338 15
Lemon. Zack & Reader befriend each other at a young age from a tragic event. You two became each others light in the darkenss. Fate wasnt on your sid...
47K 699 22
Disclaimer: none of these pics/ drawing are mine unless I say so, I do not own any of the characters they are simply from final fantasy 7!! Warnings:...
675 77 80
Wherever she goes, trouble is at her heels, she's already lost a brother, can she stop the same fate taking Rin? What is the 'Big Man' after? She mus...