Faithless Memories

By chaosmoon75

"Can you really not remember your name? If that's the case, why don't I give you one for now?" Zack found a g... More

Stranger in Our Midst
Recovery
Encounter in the Woods
Part of the Family
Confronting the Future
Locked Memories
Training
Heartbreaking Decisions
Breaking the News
Setting Out
The Adventures of Traveling
Crossing the Ocean
Making it to Midgar
Settling In
Tryouts
Coming of Age
Becoming a Soldier
Why Purple?
To Sector Five
Celebration
Challenge?
Spar
Unexpected Offer
Agreement
First Date - Sort Of
Join Shinra?
Job Offer
Invite
Weighing the Options
Surprise Lunch
Time to Decide
New Friends
Finally, A Real Date
Truce
Male Pride
New Job
Classroom
First Kiss
Worries
What Had Been Hidden
A Brother's Defense
Appreciative Gift
Brighter Than the Stars
End of Summer
Injury
Together Yet Apart
Tell Her Something
Letting Go
What Was Lost...
...Now Is Found
Man or Monster
A Hint to the Past
A Decision Made
Changes
Unbury the Past
Even Angels Have Their Demons
Facing the Facts
Unraveled
Cold Hard Truth
Murdered
Next Steps
Despite the Uncertainty
Healing Genesis
Aftereffects
Happy News?
Still Work to be Done
Back to Midgar
Unexpected Addition
To Junon
Face From the Past
Meeting the In-Laws
Stop in Gongaga
Into Nibelheim
The Devil Within
Enter the Gunman
Captured
Still Under the Influence
Up Mount Nibel
Into the Reactor
Facing the Beast
By the Skin of Our Teeth
Impossible Choices
Time to Decide
Revelations of a Madman
Breaking the News
Home Again
Awake
Home is Where the Heart Is

Examination

46 4 0
By chaosmoon75

Chapter 70

Kris cringed internally at the evaluating look the doctor gave her, but she was thankful he didn't say what was on his mind. Instead, he turned to grab a few things, including a phlebotomy kit. He turned back with a smile as he gestured to the dark glasses she was wearing. "We'll draw some blood in a moment, but first, I would like to do a full exam. Could you remove those, please?"

Kris' hand shot up to the only thing hiding her strange eyes. She shook her head. "I can't take them off. I have a condition that makes it hard for my eyes without them."

The doctor frowned slightly, but his smile was back quickly. "I can turn down the light for a moment. I just need to check your reflexes."

Genesis stepped forward at that point. His frown had the other man taking more than a few steps back. "She said no. Move on."

Kris felt a little sympathetic when the doctor swallowed hard and gave Genesis a nod. "Of course." He then turned back to Kris. "Well, let's get that blood drawn so we can run some tests, and I'll check you over."

The rest of the exam was nearly silent except when the doctor had questions. Once he finished checking her over, he left the room. Kris was glad that she had insisted that Genesis be the only one to come back with her. It would have been extremely uncomfortable otherwise. While they waited, she watched Genesis pacing around the small room. She was thankful when the doctor returned. Her fiancé was about to drive her batty.

The doctor gave them both a grin when he entered. "Well, I am happy to confirm that, yes, you are pregnant. Since you couldn't remember your last period, I have had to go on what I could hear and measure. It looks as though you might be close to four months already. The only reason you aren't showing more is because you are underweight."

He paused and pulled two bottles out of his pocket to hand to her. "You are also slightly anemic. One of those is a vitamin with extra iron. The other is to help with nausea. I would still recommend that you rest as much as you can. The worst of it should pass in a few weeks."

Kris thanked him before they left, as did a grudging Genesis. Though Kris refused to say anything to the other two until they were out of the building and down the road. When Zack couldn't stand it any longer, he clasped his hands together and gave her a pleading look. "What happened? Is everything alright?"

Kris chuckled at his actions. "Yes, everything is fine. The baby seems to be progressing at the expected rate, given what Hollander told us. He also gave me something to keep my food down."

Zack grinned at her announcement. "Ah, yeah! I'm so excited to meet the little guy. How much longer do you think?"

Genesis was still not in a good mood, so he gave the boy a glare, but it was Reno that spoke up. "So another little Fair runnin' around, huh? That should make life interestin'."

Genesis' glare deepened. "No, A Rhapsodos. My child will not go through life without a proper last name."

Reno waved off his statement with a grin. "Whatever you say, Commander Cranky."

Kris was already done with all of them, but she knew she had to stop her fiancé before things got out of hand. She grabbed his arm and pointed toward the hotel where the rest were staying. "Look, we are almost there. Why don't you let me go up to the room? I'll take one of these and see if I can eat and then go to bed. I'm exhausted."

Genesis took a deep breath before he nodded to her. He was aware that part of it was her trying to keep him from losing his temper, but he also knew she was right. Now wasn't the time. Instead, he gently put a hand over hers on his arm. "I'll bring something up for you if you would like to relax with a bath. It would probably help."

Kris let out a sigh at the thought of bathing. She grinned up at Genesis. "That sounds like a great idea!" She then looked over at the other two. "Sorry, guys, but I will probably sleep for the rest of the day. Can you let everyone else know?"

Zack did not look thrilled with her choice, but he knew better than to argue. Reno just gave her a grin. "I'd be happy to let 'em know. You just let me handle that."

Kris' smile fell a little when she thought about his eagerness. She had no doubt that Rufus and Veld were not going to like it, which made Reno's pleasure in the idea even worse. Still, she wasn't going to change her mind. She needed the rest if they were going to be back on the road the next day.

She then gave Reno a smirk. "Try not to get killed in the process, okay? I don't want to feel responsible for your death."

Reno cackled as Genesis just frowned at them all again. He, thankfully, didn't say anything, though. Instead, he pulled Kris to the front desk and grabbed the key before he took her upstairs. He left her with instructions to relax before he left. Kris didn't need to be told twice. He was barely out the door before she was headed toward the bathing room and a nice long bath.

-----------------------

Kris had been correct in thinking that Rufus was not pleased by her decision to take the day and sleep. However, he also wasn't stupid. The entire team had noticed how hard the travel was for the woman, so he let it slide. Besides, they had a few days on the boat to get to the Western Continent. He would just make sure to make up the time while they were on board.

Those three days were at least tolerable for Kris. The medicine the doctor gave her worked better than the tea, and she was actually able to eat and keep the food down. That meant she was able to handle Rufus and his incessant questions. More so even. She found that the more they talked, the more their similar upbringings came to light, and the easier their conversations became. By the time the team reached land once again, the two of them almost boasted something akin to friendship, though it was a cold and distant one. At least they were no longer at odds.

Still, once they landed, Rufus pushed the whole group to get on the road quickly. That resolve was tested while the helicopter was being prepped. Much to everyone's surprise, a man seemed to come out of nowhere and called out to the two siblings. "Bless my eyes. Am I seeing things? Is it really the Fairs?"

The whole group turned to the boisterous voice. Most with frowns. However, the two Fairs wore huge smiles as they both went to great the stranger. It was Kris that spoke up first. "Mr. Anders! I wasn't sure if we would ever see you again, but I'm glad we did. We owe you a lot!"

The man laughed and pulled her in for a hug, despite the glares he got from the Soldiers behind the two. He did let her go quickly when he felt her stiffen at the action. He had a slightly worried frown as she stepped back, but it disappeared when Zack took his outstretched hand and shook it. The boy was just as enthusiastic as ever, despite the two years that it had been since they had seen the trader. "Kris is right! I made it into Soldier, but without your help, we might not have gotten to Midgar at all!"

Mr. Anders chuckled, but he shook his head. "I doubt that. The two of you had more drive than anyone I've ever met. Between your attitude and your sister's brain, it was only a matter of time."

Both siblings grinned at his praise, but he wasn't finished. He gave them both a nod. "I would say that you weren't just successful in making Soldier. That uniform tells me you're a Second already. Plus-" he paused and gave Kris a wider grin. "I suppose congratulations are in order. How far along are you? When can I expect to see a new Fair?"

Kris felt her face heat all the way to her ears. Though she wasn't really surprised. With her newfound ability to keep food down, she had started to show rapidly. Even though it had only been a few days, her slightly protruding abdomen could not be hidden. She somehow managed to keep her voice even when she answered. "Well, I believe the baby should be born in three months or so, but it won't be a Fair. I have no doubt that by that time, both my baby and myself will have my fiance's last name."

Mr. Anders' brow rose at her statement, and he let go of another deep chuckle. He patted her shoulder as he spoke. "And who might the lucky man be? I can tell you already that half my men will be sad to hear the news. They still talk about how beautiful you looked while trouncing the monsters out there."

Kris put her hand over her face to try and hide the growing blush, but she didn't get to answer. She nearly jumped when she felt Genesis' hand on her waist as he spoke for her. "That would be me."

Her gaze shot up, and she had to repress a sigh at the glare he was wearing. She gently nudged him before she turned back to the trader. "Yes, please meet-"

Mr. Anders cut her off with an evaluating look. "Commander Genesis Rhapsodos. It is a pleasure to meet the legend himself."

He then looked directly at Kris with a grin. "I suppose it's fitting that the one man to catch your eye would be someone of such renown."

Genesis looked slightly mollified by the man's words, but Kris spoke again before anything else could be said. She noticed the rest of their team had come over as well. "I apologize that we have to make this so quick, but we do need to get on the road. It was great to see you again."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

112 2 32
Genesis did not leave Shinra for no reason. He had to sacrifice more than his life and had to leave behind more than his friends.
2K 106 27
"You need to know that you are beautiful even now, and I don't care what your background is I just care about the moments we had shared together". Sh...
675 77 80
Wherever she goes, trouble is at her heels, she's already lost a brother, can she stop the same fate taking Rin? What is the 'Big Man' after? She mus...
25.9K 878 56
A young girl named (Y/N) (L/N) had to deal with her serial killer aunt while they live in a shed in the middle of the woods. One day, she was able to...