Faithless Memories

By chaosmoon75

"Can you really not remember your name? If that's the case, why don't I give you one for now?" Zack found a g... More

Stranger in Our Midst
Recovery
Encounter in the Woods
Part of the Family
Confronting the Future
Locked Memories
Training
Heartbreaking Decisions
Breaking the News
Setting Out
The Adventures of Traveling
Crossing the Ocean
Making it to Midgar
Settling In
Tryouts
Coming of Age
Becoming a Soldier
To Sector Five
Celebration
Challenge?
Spar
Unexpected Offer
Agreement
First Date - Sort Of
Join Shinra?
Job Offer
Invite
Weighing the Options
Surprise Lunch
Time to Decide
New Friends
Finally, A Real Date
Truce
Male Pride
New Job
Classroom
First Kiss
Worries
What Had Been Hidden
A Brother's Defense
Appreciative Gift
Brighter Than the Stars
End of Summer
Injury
Together Yet Apart
Tell Her Something
Letting Go
What Was Lost...
...Now Is Found
Man or Monster
A Hint to the Past
A Decision Made
Changes
Unbury the Past
Even Angels Have Their Demons
Facing the Facts
Unraveled
Cold Hard Truth
Murdered
Next Steps
Despite the Uncertainty
Healing Genesis
Aftereffects
Happy News?
Still Work to be Done
Back to Midgar
Unexpected Addition
To Junon
Examination
Face From the Past
Meeting the In-Laws
Stop in Gongaga
Into Nibelheim
The Devil Within
Enter the Gunman
Captured
Still Under the Influence
Up Mount Nibel
Into the Reactor
Facing the Beast
By the Skin of Our Teeth
Impossible Choices
Time to Decide
Revelations of a Madman
Breaking the News
Home Again
Awake
Home is Where the Heart Is

Why Purple?

91 7 0
By chaosmoon75

Chapter 18

Living alone took Kris some getting used to. She had not had as much privacy since she woke up to Zack's face so many years ago. She quickly found she didn't like it that much either. There were many times that Zack got on her nerves, but it was more often that she found she had something she wanted to share and couldn't because he wasn't there. Just getting to visit took a lot of coordination. He had one day a week off, but it was always one of the days she had to work.

It took him some figuring out how to get time in the evenings a couple days a week just so he could keep her up to date with how things were going. It helped that he managed to get a phone for them both. His was a perk of working for Shinra, and he was able to get one for Kris at a discount since she was family.

It was during his first real visit that he gave her some exciting news. They had just sat down to a home-cooked meal, and Zack was trying to talk and eat at the same time. Kris had to scold him about it twice. The second time he swallowed and gave her a grin. "I'm sorry, it's just that I don't have much time and I really wanted to share."

She laughed at his enthusiasm, but still reprimanded him. "Well, pick one or the other. You eat fast enough that I shouldn't need to see your food while you're at it."

He had taken another bite while she was talking but waited until he swallowed to answer. "Fine, but you'll never believe what I heard today! I have good news!"

Kris didn't need to do more than raise a brow before he launched into his tale. "Well, I was talking to 'Geal today, and he told me that it shouldn't take much for me to make Second with how I made Soldier. I need to go on a few missions with him and prove that I can keep my cool under pressure. If I can, then we'll be living it up in Sector 5! Isn't that great!"

Kris laughed again, but she nodded. "Yes, I'll admit that I miss your face."

He chuckled at her but had already started eating again. He was on his third helping, so she started cleaning her own stuff off the table. When she came back for the rest, he glared at her. "I'm not done yet!"

She laughed and backed up with her hands in the air. "It's all yours if you want it. I promise not to touch it until you say it's alright."

He nodded once and started to take another bite but stopped and nearly started vibrating in his seat. "Oh, oh, there was something else too."

She shook her head at his enthusiasm. Whatever it was, he was even more excited then he was about his other news. She didn't need to prompt him to continue. "I ran into a couple of the guys that were in the group I tried out with. I didn't realize it, but most people that try out for Soldier have to go through a six-week class before they are given these brutal tests. I don't think any of those guys were accepted. The two I talked with were in the infantry now."

Kris sat back down and gave him a deadpan look. "There was a reason I told you that you didn't have anything to worry about."

His eyebrows nearly went into his hairline. "You knew that already!?"

She shook her head with a smile. "No, but that does sound more like what I was expecting. I have a feeling that since Commander Hewley took a personal interest in you that you were able to bypass all that. I was convinced I was right when you told me it was the General that did your assessment. I imagine that most of the time, he is too busy to be worried about a cadet."

Zack's food was all but forgotten as he looked at her with awe. "Wow! I hadn't thought about it like that. Does that mean I did even better than I thought I did?"

Kris stood again and ruffled his hair as she grabbed the empty dishes. "I'm pretty sure it does, but don't let it go to your head. If you want to keep impressing them, you'll need to stay focused. The thing about going above and beyond is that you have to keep doing it if you want to get ahead."

He glared at her for ruffling his hair, but it quickly melted into a grin. "You don't have to worry about me. I got this."

He stood and helped her clear the table before he looked at the clock. He frowned at it and sighed as he turned around. "I have to get back. Thanks for dinner."

She gave him a quick hug. "You're always welcome. Let me know before you get sent on your first mission, okay?"

He gave her a mock salute as he dashed to the door. "It'll be done before you know it." She was still shaking her head at his boundless enthusiasm as she turned to finish cleaning.

------------------------------------

As it turned out, his first mission was less than a week after that. When he got back, he was so excited that he almost didn't have time to eat. He had to tell her all the details. Luckily, it was a monster extermination mission. He let her know that those would be the majority of his work for the time being. That was a fact she wasn't upset about. Since they had come to Midgar, she had heard more about the war with Wutai, and she wasn't sure she agreed with it. That was an opinion that was in the minority, so she never shared it. Especially not with Zack. She knew her support meant a lot to him, and if he thought for a second that there was something he was doing that she couldn't get behind, it would tear him up.

His next few missions didn't come as quickly, but he was still out on the fourth one by a few weeks before their lease was up. Kris hoped that they got good news when he got back because she didn't think her landlord would let them lease it a month at a time. She was sure that it would work out one way or another, but it would be nice to not have to worry so much. And she had plenty of time for that. The three days that she worked were so busy that she barely managed to get home before she passed out. The following Monday was always for recuperating, but then the rest of the week was boring.

She often found herself missing their days of travel. She tried to force herself to remember that it was always uncomfortable. It was too hot or too cold or too wet or too dry. They spent a lot of time working on smelly potions or fighting. Even so, there was never any time for her to get bored, and more than that, she wasn't alone.

She had tried to look for a second job on the days she had off, but she didn't have much luck. She was glad for the small amount that Zack was able to contribute. She hated taking it, but it made sure that everything was paid, and she even was able to put aside a little in case of emergencies.

----------------------------------

She was cleaning the spotless apartment again for the second time that week when she was surprised by Zack. She wasn't expecting him back for another day. He had a key still, so he didn't even knock. When she noticed he was wearing a different uniform, she jumped up and gave him a tackling hug. He laughed and spun her a couple of times before he put her back down. She was almost as excited as he was when she spoke. "Does this mean what I think it does?"

He nodded and laughed again. "Yup. This is my new official Soldier Second Class uniform!"

She walked around him once before she gave him a curious look. "I thought that Seconds wore burgundy uniforms?"

As impossible as she thought it was, his grin got wider. "They do."

Kris nearly fell over; she was so surprised. "That isn't a First's uniform either, is it? I mean, I thought their's were black?"

He nodded without losing his smile. When he didn't say anything right away, she pushed his arm. "Come on, you can't keep it secret. Unless, of course, you tried washing the regular one, and it's that color because you messed it up. I wouldn't want to share if that was the case, either."

He frowned at her jab and huffed slightly when he crossed his arms. "Like I would be so careless with my uniform."

She raised a brow at him, and he shuffled slightly. "All the uniforms are cleaned for us at the barracks."

She tried to stifle her laugh at that. "Fine, if that isn't the case, then what gives?"

He was grinning again, and she was certain his chest puffed out a little. "It's purple because I am being mentored by one of the Firsts. Normal Soldier Seconds do have burgundy, but since I'm special, I get a special uniform."

She rolled her eyes at him and mumbled under her breath. "Oh, you're special, alright."

It was his turn to push her arm. "Hey, I heard that. Don't forget I have extra-sensitive hearing now."

She laughed and gave him another hug. "I'm only teasing. That's awesome! So, do you have any new responsibilities?

He nodded as they both sat at the table. "Yeah, 'Geal says he wants me to go on a few more missions with him, but he's going to let me lead. He's just gonna help if I need it. After he's comfortable letting me lead, then I'll be taking solo missions mostly. He said I may have to take a few where I am commanding a small company, but those will be few and far between."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

80 0 21
Genesis is best friends with a young red haired female since they were young children. Now being adults he doesn't know whether or not it'd be a good...
8.2K 265 20
Life hasn't exactly been the kindest to you. Of course, that takes a toll on your outlook on life and makes you absolutely hate it. It's not really f...
223 2 20
Two individuals find themselves trapped in a mysterious building. Zack Foster is on a mission to locate his girlfriend, while an unnamed girl is desp...
34.2K 721 15
Y/n L/n, a mercenary whose discovered some of his roots and allowed him to use amazing abilities. There seems to be more than meets the eye with him...