400 Days After Fina

By JellOfAllTrades

It took 30 days for Jellane to fall in love and have her life turned around. 400 days after the death of Fin... More

400 Days After Fina
Day 400
Day 401
Day 402
Day 403
Day 404
Day 405
Day 420
Day 422
Day 423
Day 426
Day 427
Day 430
Day 434
Day 435
Day 449
Day 450
Day 451
Day 454
Day 468
Day 472
Day 474
Day 475
Day 479
Day 481
Day 482
Day 483
Day 484
Day 492
Day 493
Day 494
Day 495
Day 496
Day 501
Day 760
From the Author
Bonus: Jellane's Letter #1

Day 473

2.1K 159 51
By JellOfAllTrades

400 Days After Fina by JellOfAllTrades
Chapter 21

Angel stirs on the passenger seat and a few seconds later she sits upright.

"Nasaan na tayo?" She asks while rubbing her still sleepy eyes.

"Gumaca,"

She yawns and stretched her body, stiffened from the long drive. I would have done the same except I'm focused on the road. "Malapit na tayo."

"Yeah."

"Okay lang kaya si tito?" Angel mumbled, looking out to the now brightening morning sky.

"We'll know when we get there."

"Pinatay mo ba yung music kanina?" She suddenly asked.

I reached for the console and opened the radio. "Pinatay ko kanina kasi di ko gusto yung music."

Angel adjusted the radio station, looking for something nice to listen to. "Buti di ka inantok?"

"Hindi naman ako inaantok."

That was half a lie because I was mostly occupied by the thought of Fina worried for her father. While it's not the safest practice to do while driving, I was forming impossible situations in my head of Fina calling me for help with her father, that it was her who called my phone last night. At least it distracted me enough from thinking about sleep.

An hour later and we're entering the Lopez town proper. Magsaysay Memorial District Hospital is located at the eastern end of the town, just a couple minutes past a small creek. The entrance to the hospital is the left turn at the forked Maharlika highway.

After I parked the car, Angel and I got out and dashed for the reception only to be greeted by my cousin kuya Rommel and his vice mayor Jorge, who both looked like they were about to leave. Upon seeing me, Jorge's eyes lit up.

"Jellane!" Jorge squealed, reminding me of his rabid fanboy antics during the election campaign.

"Kuya," I ignored the vice mayor and focused on my cousin. "Kumusta si Mr. Romulo?"

"Surgery finished kanina lang. It was a success but he's in a coma to help his brain heal. He's in the ICU." Kuya Rommel replied, looking grim. He then approached me and lowered his voice. "Ang mahal nung procedure. Are you sure you're paying for all of this?"

I frowned at his question. "Money was never a problem for us."

Kuya Rommel stepped away. "I'm just saying you're spending an awful lot of money for..."

He never bothered to continue what he was saying as I was already murdering him in my mind. He probably sensed the hostility in my eyes and backed off.

Angel tugged at my sleeve and I let out a sigh, remembering there are more pressing matters to address.

"Nasaan si tita Nani?" I asked the two executive heads of Lopez.

"Nasa waiting area," Vice mayor Jorge replied. He looked like a puppy that is very eager to help me. If I can gauge his fanaticism I might be able to use him against kuya Rommel if I have to. "Dalhin ko kayo dun?"

"Pasama naman si Angel dun? Kakausapin ko pa si kuya."

"No problem."

Jorge led Angel away to the waiting area and kuya Rommel and I stepped outside of the lobby where we can talk in private.

"Nahuli ba yung driver ng truck?" I asked my cousin in a low voice. Discussing private and possibly sensitive issues in public can be quite risky. If we're overheard and rumors spread, his public approval might be affected.

"Naka-detain na siya. Nakasuhan na rin." Kuya Rommel answered in the same lowered voice. "Malaki yung truck na minamaneho niya, frankly, I'm surprised your friend survived. Nayupi yung tricycle."

I bit my trembling lip. No wonder tita Nani called me. Not only could they not afford the expensive surgery, but the post-operation would also be costly.

"Anong dinahilan niya sa pulis?"

"Nakaidlip daw siya."

"Nasaktan ba siya?"

"Hindi. Most of the damage his truck got was on the passenger side."

"Eh yung pahinante niya?"

Kuya Rommel looked away. "Wala siyang pahinante. He was overworked din. Sabi niya naghahabol lang daw siya ng delivery kasi kailangan ng pera ng pamilya niya."

"Hindi ba bawal yun? Saan naka-base yung kumpanya niya?"

"Laguna." Kuya Rommel is starting to look bored with the conversation.

"Kasuhan mo rin yung may-ari ng kumpanya. I have a feeling this isn't the first time their company got into a traffic accident because of negligence."

"Consider it done." The mayor of Lopez took out a pack of cigarettes and offered me one. After I declined, he lit a stick and took a long drag. "Who are these people to you, anyway? Why are you so willing to help them so much?"

"Hindi mo alam?"

"I'm familiar with the story of this Fina, but her parents, Jell?"

I stepped away from his cloud of smoke. While I may have spent a lot of my college years partying, I never liked second-hand smoke. I never even got tempted to try smoking. "I think of them as my in-laws."

"Tangina, kung in-laws mo yun you'll let them die." Kuya Rommel scoffed. "I would."

"Wag mo akong igaya sa inyo."

He took another drag and then puffed the smoke away from me. "Just so you know, Mamita financed the whole thing. Sa kanya ka magbabayad."

"What?!" I exploded. "Bakit mo dinamay si Mamita?!"

"Calm down," he backed off. "I can't afford the whole operation kasi under surveillance yung pera ko. Hell, if only my mother-in-law was in that tricycle and died on the spot, baka nasagot ko lahat tapos magpapapiyesta pa ako."

I glared at him. His dislike for his overbearing mother-in-law is none of my concern. That's what you get when you marry into a powerful political clan.

"Anyway, I asked Mamita for help and when she learned who you're trying to help, she said she'll finance the whole thing." Kuya Rommel continued. "I can't argue with that."

I groaned. Dealing with kuya Rommel would have been so much easier. But now that I owe Mamita a favor, she might try to lure me into the family business again.

"Thanks anyway," I muttered.

Kuya Rommel smiled. "Bayad na ako dun sa nangyari nung eleksyon ah?"

"Oo. Bayad na." I look away from his malicious smile. "Tara na sa loob."

"Kumusta pala ulo mo?" He asked as we walked back into the lobby and towards the waiting area.

"Okay na."

"That's good."

When we got to the waiting area, Angel was consoling a helpless Mrs. Romulo while Jorge stood awkwardly to the side.

Once more, upon seeing me, Jorge's face lit up but before he can approach me, Mrs. Romulo had rushed to hug me.

"Jell," she cried, "maraming salamat sa pagtulong ninyo ni mayor."

"Wala po yun, tita." I bit back the urge to cry because it hurt seeing Fina's mother be crushed like this. It's like a repeat of last year. "Wag ka na po umiyak, kami na po bahala sa inyo."

I looked at Angel and even she had tears on her eyes.

"Si Ferdinand na lang ang meron ako. Hindi ko alam kung anong gagawin ko kung pati siya'y kukunin na sakin ng Panginoon."

I held tita Nani by the shoulders and looked at her eyes, the same eyes that her daughter had. "Tita, gagaling din si tito, okay? Sisiguraduhin namin yun."

Angel reached out to wipe away tita Nani's tears and we guide her to a bench to help her calm down.

While Angel worked on consoling tita Nani, I spoke to a doctor who explained to me that aside from breaking multiple bones in his body, Mr. Romulo developed a hematoma, or blood clot, in the brain. The surgery managed to correct this issue, however, he's now placed in the ICU with ventilator support and induced coma to help his brain heal. He'll be in the coma for the next forty-eight to seventy-two hours.

After the doctor assured us that Mr. Romulo will be fine, kuya Rommel and Jorge finally said they'll go on ahead. I thanked them for their help and returned to Angel and tita Nani in the waiting room. After telling them about what the doctor said, I convinced tita Nani it's best to go home for now.

Angel and I assisted Mrs. Romulo back to my car as she seemed to be too exhausted by the whole ordeal. I let Angel and Mrs. Romulo occupy the back seat while I drove us back to Calauag.

On the highway, maybe ten minutes from the Calauag town proper we passed by the wreckage of an abandoned truck and a crushed tricycle, now conveniently moved to the side of the road. Upon seeing the place that almost took her husband's life, tita Nani started to cry again.

"Wag ka na umiyak, tita." Angel whispered to the lady. "Magiging okay din si tito."

When Angel and my eyes met in the rearview mirror, I gave her a small smile of support as there's not much I can do while I'm driving.

Upon arriving at Calauag, I first stopped by the Romulo house to drop off tita Nani. Again, we escorted her inside and helped her get to bed. After accomplishing that, we left her in the room to get some sleep.

"Do you think she'll be fine?" I asked Angel.

"Oo naman." Angel replied with confidence. "Malakas si tita, nahihirapan lang talaga siya ngayon kasi masyadong biglaan yung nangyari."

Of course, Fina had been sick for most of her life, her parents had years to prepare themselves for the inevitable. This accident is something no one can prepare for.

I yawned, finally feeling the fatigue in my body.

"Umuwi ka na muna sa inyo. Wala ka pang tulog." Angel commented.

"Pano ka?"

"Dito na muna ako. Kailangan ko bantayan si tita."

"Sure ka?"

"Oo." Angel turned me around and started to push me towards the door. "Sige na, umuwi ka na muna. Balik ka na lang pag okay ka na."

I turned around and held her hand to stop her from pushing me. "Oo na."

Suddenly, I found myself a few inches away from Angel's face. She looked up at me like she didn't expect to find herself in such a precarious position. Her dark eyes are staring at me, looking like she's waiting for me to say or do something and her lips are parted, as if inviting me to kiss her.

I step back, bothered by my own thoughts. "Uwi na muna ako."

"Okay," she replied with dismay.

I quickly leave Fina's home and drive back to the Folloso ancestral house. When I got there, I parked my silver Volvo in front of Mamita's house to collect my thoughts.

Mr. Romulo, while injured, will eventually recover. Tita Nani is shaken by the accident but she'll be fine. And Angel... Did I really consider kissing her just a few minutes ago? What had gotten into me?

"She did say she'll make you fall in love with her,"

I turned to the passenger side and saw Fina smile at me. She's back to wearing her flowery white dress.

"Bakit ba kasi pinangako mo yung singsing sa kanya kapalit ng diary?" I mutter, feeling the cold metal of the ring on my pinky finger.

Fina just gave me a teasing smile. "Secret."

The front door of the house opened and Mamita came out to check who had just parked in front of her house. I turned to look back at Fina but she's disappeared.

Mamita frowned, probably recognizing my car, so I got out and her frown quickly turned to a rare smile.

"Jellane," she said, almost affectionately. "Akala ko mamaya ka pa darating."

"Mas mabilis byahe pag gabi." I answered, getting my bag from inside the car. "Walang traffic."

Out of respect, I kissed her on the cheek before entering the house.

"Kumain ka na ba?"

"Kumain na," I lied, going straight to the stairs where I know she'll have a hard time following after me. "Matutulog muna ako."

When I got to my room, everything is ready for me. Kuya Rommel had alerted Mamita about my arrival and Mamita, in turn, had someone prepare my room for me. She's probably thrilled to have me return for the third time this year.

I dropped my bag on the chair by the vanity dresser and then crawled to the farthest side of the bed. I turned my back from the door so that in case anyone comes to check on me, they'll think I'm sleeping.

As I expected, there was a soft knock on the door and I heard it open. I didn't move. There were footsteps, a click, and then the unmistakable buzz of the electric fan. The fan was adjusted and I felt the air hit my back. A few seconds later, the door closed. I didn't dare move in case they come back.

"You're hiding again," I heard Fina's voice in my head. "Bakit ka nagtatago?"

The tears had started to fall and I feel like my chest is being crushed. Everything feels like it's spiraling out of my control. Did I ever have control in the first place?

Hindi ko rin alam, Fina.

I'm only around Angel because I have to, not because I want to. I feel responsible for her the same way I feel responsible for taking care of Fina's parents. That's the only explanation I have. So why is it that I thought of kissing her earlier? That doesn't make any sense.

Fina's white form slowly materialized in front of me and she gave me a reassuring smile. "Don't be scared, Jell. God has something great planned for you."

He took you away from me.

"But He gave me a month with you." Fina justified.

I closed my eyes and focused on my breathing. My chest hurts like there's an invisible force pressing onto me and I'm deeply aware of my beating heart. I took a deep breath and held it in. I focused on my beating heart and could vaguely feel the rush of blood leaving my chest and going up to my head. I could almost feel it reaching my ears and the back of my throat, but that's the farthest I can focus on before the need to breathe again overwhelms me.

This heart beats only for you, Fina.

* * *

I woke up after three hours of sleep. I probably could have slept more if not for the nightmare that I had. Unable to return back to sleep and worried for tita Nani, I finally got out of bed. I washed my face in the bathroom before going down to the dining area to look for something to eat.

"Gising ka na pala," Mary said. She had just gotten out of the kitchen. "Gutom ka na ba? May tinabi kaming pagkain para sayo."

"Anong ulam?"

Mary smiled and returned to the kitchen. I followed after her and saw her put something in the microwave. I went to the coffee machine, poured coffee and water into it and then turned it on.

"Kumusta yung papa ni ate Fina?" Mary asked as we waited for the machines to finish.

"Nasa ICU. Nasa induced coma but he'll recover."

The microwave rang and she took out a plate of what smelled like curry. She then put in a plate of white rice inside the microwave and set the timer.

"How are things here?" I asked conversationally.

"Okay naman. Busy sila Mamita sa school." Mary replied.

"Eh, ikaw?"

"Mamita made me her secretary." She looked disappointed with how things are going.

"You don't look happy,"

The microwave rang again. "Ang sabi niya tuturuan niya ako pero ginawa niya akong glorified personal assistant."

I chuckled at what she said. "You're not looking at the big picture."

Mary took out the plate of rice from the microwave. "Wala namang big picture sa ginagawa niya. Inuutos-utusan niya lang ako."

I let out a sigh and poured myself some of the newly brewed coffee. "Who's the head of the Folloso empire?"

Mary frowned. "Si Mamita."

"Sinong second in command?"

"Si daddy," Mary replied. Her father, uncle Rannie is the closest to what can be called Mamita's second in command, but only because his family is essentially living in the same house as Mamita.

"Wrong."

Mary looked dumbfounded so we took the plates and moved to the dining table. She set the plates in front of me and then poured a cup of coffee for herself. "Akala ko si daddy ang second in command ni Mamita?"

The curry and the rice looked like it's more than I can eat, so I took another plate from the kitchen and transferred what little food I think I can consume. Mary just watched me, waiting for my explanation. She's smart but sometimes, she needs a nudge in the right direction. "Technically, whoever is closest to Mamita is the second in command."

"So, si daddy---" realization dawned on her face.

Before she can say anything, Mamita arrived and Mary quickly stood up like she's paying respect to a military officer higher than her. I wonder if Mamita asked her to do that or if Mary started doing that on her own.

"Pwede ba kaming mag-usap ni Jellane?" Mamita asked, directing the question to Mary.

"Yes po." Mary took her cup of coffee and left me alone with Mamita.

I focused on my food as the Folloso matron shuffled to the seat Mary had vacated.

"Dapat dinadamihan mo ang kain mo," Mamita commented as she saw my plate. "Sobrang payat mo na."

"Naka-diet pa rin po ako," I lied, remembering that I told her I'm on a keto diet last time I was here. Although, from what I remember, rice isn't part of that diet.

Mamita let out a sigh and looked at the direction Mary had gone off to. "Your cousin isn't as smart as you are."

"That's because you didn't bother to teach my cousins like how you taught me."

Mamita waved off my comment. "Because I never intended someone other than you to handle the family business."

"You should have known better than to focus on me," I replied, slightly annoyed at the topic. "Dapat palagi kang may back up plan."

Mamita chuckled. "And my back up plan isn't even half as good as you."

There's no use arguing with someone who has already made up their mind. Mamita will probably forever hold me in much higher regard than any of my most hardworking cousins. Mary might have to live in my shadow for the rest of her life, but if I want her to succeed in gaining Mamita's favor, I should keep my distance.

Maybe after this ordeal with the Romulos, I'll refrain from coming back. I'll just arrange to have Mary watch over the orphans and check on the Romulos once in a while. Maybe I'll just get tita Nani and her husband a much more permanent job in the school for easier monitoring. Maybe it'll be easier for me if I don't return to Calauag.

"Kumusta pala ang business mo?" Mamita asked, breaking the silence.

"Okay naman."

"Kasama mo daw si Angel Mercadejas?"

I looked at her and saw that she's not giving anything away. Her wrinkled face is guarded. Whoever told her I was with Angel might have told her something else about us too. "Oo."

"Girlfriend mo ba siya?"

"No." I looked down at my plate of unfinished food. I have officially lost my appetite.

"Dun ba kayo papunta?"

"No."

Mamita let out another sigh and leaned on the back of the chair. "I'm not sure if I would give her my one hundred percent approval, but at least I know she's a good girl and she'll know how to take care of you. She's not that intelligent, but she's a good girl."

I frowned, not expecting that from my homophobic grandmother. This lady had almost disowned me for my piercings just a year ago and yet she somehow thinks Angel Mercadejas is a good enough match for me? Am I going mad or is the world ending tomorrow?

"I can't say I'm not disappointed, Jellane." Mamita mumbles, looking away from me. "Pero intindihin mo sana na matanda na ako at iba ang kinalakihan ko. Iyang pagiging lesbiana mo? Bawal yan sa amin noon. Krimen kung tutuosin ang pakikipag-relasyon sa kapareho mong babae o lalaki."

"Society is changing," I reply dryly.

"And I'm too old to adapt," Mamita looked at me with her piercing yet somehow glassy eyes. "My generation grew up in a strict and conservative upbringing. Kaya nahihirapan akong intindihin ka."

I look down and feel the tears flowing down my cheeks. Am I dreaming? Why does this feel like all too good to be true?

Mamita reached out to touch my hand. "I just wanted what's good for you, Jellane. I'm sorry kung nasaktan kita."

I raised my head and looked at the face of the lady that treated me like I'm the greatest thing her God has given her. "Sinasabi mo lang ba yan kasi gusto mong ako ang pumalit sayo sa paghawak ng negosyo natin?"

Mamita's eyes flooded with tears and she shook her head. "Mary can handle the business. She won't do as good as you would have, but she'll be fine."

"Then why are you saying this to me now?" I held on to her hand. It feels like a lifetime ago when she showed me genuine affection. I have almost forgotten what it feels like to be cared for by her.

Mamita moved closer and wiped away my tears. "You're different now, hija. You help kids who don't even know you. And now you're helping people who don't owe you anything. Kung nagkaganyan ka dahil kay Fina, then I'm not stopping you. I almost lost you nung eleksyon. I let you go back to Manila kasi dun ka masaya. And if this is really who you are, then as long as you're happy, I'll try to be happy for you."

Maybe I'm just dreaming, maybe this isn't real, but when Mamita hugged me for the first time in years, I finally broke down.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.3M 199K 41
Rogue Saavedra, the arrogant city's young billionaire, becomes stranded on an unknown island. There he meets an illiterate jungle woman, Jane, who is...
5.7K 112 35
COMPLETED. Gravendelle University Series #1. Friendship. Truth. Forgiveness. Healing. Trust. Love. Without these, can anyone ever live? Is it possib...
71K 3.5K 15
Bastille. Is this a home? No. A haven? Never. The Bastille is earth's hell. A pit of damnation for every human who committed heinous crime. The Bas...
8.5K 76 5
Labis na nagsisisi si Erin Larazabal sa kinuha niyang kurso sa kolehiyo --- ang BS Criminology. Kung hindi niya lang sana ito kinuha ay hindi sana si...