An Unexpected Friendship

By SSU2020

15 year old Sophia Richardson finally has the chance to see the national team play when they arrive for a fri... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Author's Note
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41

Chapter 10

5K 112 7
By SSU2020

Author's note: hi everyone! I've gotten ahead on writing so I thought I would drop chapter 10 today. I will still be posting on Friday so look out for chapter 11 as well! I've also been thinking about switching to posting one chapter on Mondays and two on Fridays. Let me know what you think. Enjoy!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last few days have been interesting. Alex, Allie, and Kelley brought me back to Luca's late Monday night. His parents were relieved that I came home and that I was okay. I haven't been to school since Savannah attacked me in the hallway. Luca and his parents thought it would be best for me to stay home and heal. I didn't argue seeing as I didn't want to go back there anyways. Principal Anderson ended up suspending Savannah and her crew indefinitely after hearing about what had happened.

Alex has been coming to the house every morning to keep me company while everyone else is gone. By now most of my injuries didn't bother me except for my ribs. They were still a little tender so sometimes I needed help. Things have been good between us since I told her about the accident. We've spent a lot of time talking about it and getting to know each other more.

I woke up Friday morning feeling more tired than usual, so I decided to stay in bed and watch a movie. I hear a soft knock on my bedroom door just after 8:30am and look up to see Alex in the doorway. "I come baring gifts," she says as she hands me a coffee and donut from Dunkins. "Bless you. You have no idea how much I needed this," I tell her as I sit up. She sits down next to me and I lean against her.

"So...I fly home tomorrow," she says sadly. I knew Alex was flying home on Saturday but I've been avoiding thinking about it. The thought of her leaving makes me sad. It's been great having her here but I know that she has to get back to her life. "I know," I say sighing. She rests her head on mine as I wrap my arms around her. "Hey, we still have today to hang out so let's make the most of it," she says. I nod in agreement as we lay there.

...

"Alright get up and change. T-shirt, shorts, and maybe a sweatshirt since it's cool out. I know what we're doing today," she says as the movie credits roll up the screen. I look at her confused but do what she says. After taking my time changing, I head downstairs to see that Alex has also changed. "Are we going for a run or something? What are we doing?" I ask still confused. "Not running. Nice sweatshirt by the way," she smirks noticing that I was wearing her Cal sweatshirt. "It's comfortable," I say shrugging.

We drive for maybe twenty minutes before we pull up to the Seacoast United soccer fields in Amesbury. Alex grabs a black Nike duffel bag from the trunk before we walk towards the fields. I realize what she's trying to do and stop walking right as we reach the entrance gate. "Why are we here?" I ask feeling the angst surface.

*Alex's POV*
I turn around to see Sophia standing outside the gate with her arms crossed. "We're just here to play some soccer," I say nonchalantly. She hasn't played since the accident so I thought that maybe I could help her get back into it. "I don't want to do this... I can't," she pleads quietly. "You have to play again eventually," I sigh. She shakes her head and looks away. "You don't understand," she says flatly. "Maybe I don't. I know I haven't experienced a major loss like you have, but I know that soccer can heal you. You just have to let it," I tell her. I watch as a tear slips down her cheek and she quickly wipes it away. 'Maybe I shouldn't push her' I thought.

I drop the duffel bag and walk towards her. She doesn't look at me as I grab her hand. "If today isn't the day, that's okay," I say softly and kiss the side of her head. "I think I just need some time," she sniffles. I nod as I squeeze her shoulder. "I want to watch you practice though," I hear her say. "We don't have to stay. We can do something else if you want," I tell her. "We didn't drive twenty minutes for nothing. Of course I want to watch you. You are my favorite soccer player after all," she laughs. "You had me at favorite player" I say before pulling her towards the field.

*Sophia's POV*
I sat at center field watching Alex run agility and shooting drills. I was in awe at how consistent and accurate she is. She's so dedicated to improving every one of her skills and that inspires me. 

'Don't be afraid.' 

The voice in my head was becoming louder the longer I sat and watched. 

'Just try.' 

It was unbearable now. "You okay?" I hear Alex ask. She was sitting next to me sipping on water. I didn't even see her walk over. "I'm ready. I want to try," I say looking at her nervously. I watch as she reaches into the duffel bag and pulls out the cleats I got for my birthday. "Lace up," she says with a smile.

...

I stand roughly 35 yards away from the goal with the ball at my feet. Alex stands opposite me ready to take the ball away any way she could. The only thing standing in between me and the goal was fear. "You got this," Alex says seriously. I slowly begin to dribble down the field in an attempt to get by Alex. I can already tell that I'm thinking too much because she stops me with every move I make. I have my back to her as I try to keep her off the ball. After a few minutes of fighting to get by her with no luck, I notice as she shifts her stance. This gives me the opportunity to slip the ball past her. The ball rolls fast down the field as both of us charge for it. I've watched Alex score so many goals and one thing I've learned is that an inside-out run is a good way to hold off a defender. I do exactly that and take off with the ball. I shoot it just as I get inside the 18-yard box.

I stand there watching as the ball takes its time getting to the net. It finally hits the bottom of the crossbar and goes in. I let the breath that I was holding go and put my hands on my knees. I'm overcome with so many emotions in the moment.

*Alex's POV*
After Sophia pulled an inside-out move on me I stopped chasing her. I watched her as she took off towards the goal with the ball. She could've just tapped it in but instead she took a beautiful shot. I could see her body relax as the ball crossed the goal line.

I immediately ran over to her in excitement like a proud parent. She looked up just as I threw my arms around her hugging her tight. Then I remembered her rib injury and hugged her a little less tight. I pick her up and spin her around as she laughs. I put her down after a minute and can see the tears threatening to fall. "Don't worry they're happy tears," she says wiping her eyes. "I'm so proud of you!" I say excitedly. She defeated her fear even though she didn't think she could. If that isn't the definition of badass then I don't know what is.

We spend the next few hours on the field until we were too tired to run anymore. It was 3pm when we finally left the facility. "How do you feel?" I ask her as we drive back to her house. She looks down at her hands and smiles. "It's just the beginning but I think I'm going to be okay with time," she says proudly.

As we drive, I quietly recount the events of the last week. I think about the moment I met Sophia and how so much has changed between us in a short time. I begin to have this indescribable feeling in my chest. It's a feeling I haven't felt before, but I know what it is. It's the feeling that's telling me not to fly home tomorrow. More specifically, it's telling me not to go home without Sophia.

I pull up to the curb outside of Luca's house to see that people were there now. "Hey why don't you go inside. I'll be in in a few minutes," I tell Sophia. She nods and reluctantly leaves me alone in the car. I pull out my phone and call Servando.

"Hey babe," he answers.

"Hey listen I need to talk to you about something," I say with urgency.

*Sophia's POV*
I was talking to Pam in the kitchen when Alex walked in. "I thought you said you'd be in in a minute," I point out after she had been outside for half an hour. "I called Servando. I needed to talk to him about something," she says nonchalantly. I look at her suspiciously, but don't challenge her.

"Pam, can Alex stay for dinner since she's flying home tomorrow?" I ask looking at Alex. "Only if she wants to," Pam answers. I look over at Alex who seems distracted. "So?" I say nudging her arm. "Hm yeah sure," she answers as she returns to reality.

...

"Okay this was definitely some of the best food I've had here in the northeast," Alex says leaning back in her chair. "This restaurant has fantastic take out. Soph and I order from there a lot," Luca says as he grabs our trash. He goes inside leaving Alex and I alone.

"So what were you talking to Servando about?" I ask her. She tries to avoid eye contact so I can tell something is up. "You," she says finally looking at me. I don't understand. Why would they be talking about me? "Why?" I ask curiously. She reaches across the table and grabs my hand. "I have to leave tomorrow, but I don't want our relationship to end," she sighs. "Alex our friendship isn't gonna end. We'll figure something out," I say patting her hand. She looks like she wants to say more, but won't. "Just tell me what's going on Al," I plead.

"Okay look I'm going to be straight with you. Serv and I talked... I told him everything. If you're looking for a permanent home, we would like to take you in," Alex says carefully. I feel my eyes well up, but not from happiness. I'm not sure what to think. I pull my hand away from hers and take off towards my bedroom. I bump into Luca on my way in, but I don't stop.

*Luca's POV*
I look over at Alex who's sitting at the table with her head in her hands. I walk over and sit across from her. "What happened?" I ask. She looks up at me in frustration. "I messed up. I told her that if she wanted a permanent home, Servando and I would want to be the ones to take care of her," she says looking away. I was shocked. I knew that things have going well between them, but I didn't know that Alex cared that much for her.

"You really care that much about her that you'd be willing to foster her?" I ask seriously. "I know it sounds stupid, but lately I've felt like I'm meant to do more than what I'm doing in my life. I think Sophia and I crossed paths for a reason. I know that I can give her a good life and I want to do that. I didn't mean to ambush her, but I just wanted her to know," she explains.

"I know that she is grateful for the offer. You just have to give her some space to process it. As much as I wouldn't want to see her go, she deserves a family. In time she'll see that," I say sympathetically.

"I hope so," she sighs.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.2K 647 17
"𝙅𝙪𝙨𝙩 𝙡𝙞𝙠𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙙𝙖𝙮 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙄 𝙢𝙚𝙩 𝙮𝙤𝙪, 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙙𝙖𝙮 𝙄 𝙩𝙝𝙤𝙪𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙛𝙤𝙧𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧. 𝙎𝙖𝙞𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙡𝙤𝙫𝙚 𝙢𝙚, �...
219K 4.1K 41
You're the hottest new coming soccer star and you just turned 18 you have all the nwsl teams calling you asking to join their team and what gets bett...
209K 4.1K 75
Emma have a pretty dark and complicated past. Love never goes her way, parents never existed and being bullied. But what will happen when she get a c...
58.8K 1.9K 46
Alex Morgan x Y/N Reader {GxG} Other main characters include: Kelley O'Hara, Abby Dahlkemper and other USWNT members ! includes smut ! Timeline...