Chapter 11

I sit on my bed trying to process what Alex has just told me. I know that most people would be grateful in this situation. I was, but I was also angry. Angry that she shared my story without asking me. Sad because that would mean I would have to move. Confused at why she would want someone as broken and screwed up as me.

I couldn't bring myself to talk to her so I stayed in my room for the remainder of the night. Around 10pm I hear a knock on my door. Luca walks in with a sympathetic look on his face. I put my head on his shoulder as soon as he lays down next to me. "Did she leave?" I ask him. He looks over at me and nods sadly. "She talked with my parents after you went inside. She left about an hour later," he tells me.

Of course this had to happen right before she leaves to fly home. Now I won't even get the chance to say goodbye. "I shouldn't have left. I should've talked to her," I say frustrated with myself. "She wasn't mad. She understood. I'm sure you guys will work it out," Luca says confidently.

...

I wake up Saturday morning to find that Luca isn't next to me anymore. I assume he's downstairs so I get up to find him. When I get to the kitchen I see Alex sitting there talking to him. She notices me as I walk closer and stands up. I run over to her and hug her tight. Relief washes over me seeing that she came back.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have left," I tell her. She pulls away and looks at me. "You don't have anything to be sorry about. I shouldn't have ambushed you. That's why I came this morning. I wanted to make sure we were okay before I left," she says apologetically. I smiled at her half-heartedly as the guilt remains. "Can I talk to you outside for a minute?" I ask. She nods her head and I lead us out to the backyard.

"I just want you to know that I appreciate your offer. There is nothing that I would love more than to fly home with you. But..." I say looking down at my feet. "I can't come with you. This situation with DCF is tricky. We'd have to go through a lot for me to even be able to leave. I can't just leave Luca behind either. He's been my best friend since we were five. His family has been the only other family I have known. As much as I hate my current situation, I just can't commit to uprooting my life. I hope you understand," I explain.

"Of course I understand. Above all I just want you to be happy. If you ever change your mind, the offer will always stand," she says kissing my head. She then reaches for my phone and I hand it to her. After a minute she gives it back to me and smiles. "I put my number in your phone. Call or text any time. Just keep me in the loop," she says. She then turns and walks away without another word. I stand there in the front yard with a heavy heart as I watch her pull away from the curb and disappear down the road.

*Luca's POV*
I watch from the window as Sophia lets Alex go. Why didn't she go with her? I meet Sophia by the door as she walks back inside. "What happened?" I ask intently. "She's flying home and I'm staying here," she tells me as she walks away.

"What's the matter with you?! Why didn't you agree to go with her?" I ask in frustration. She turns around and looks at me in shock. "What's wrong with me? Why are you so mad that I'm staying?" she asks raising her voice. "Because you're giving up your one chance to have an actual family again!" I yell. "You don't understand," she says. "What don't I understand? She loves you and wants to take care of you!" I yell. "It's not that simple! I can't just leave!" she yells back. "Yes you can! You can start over! You can be happy! What's stopping you?" I ask as I slam my hand on the kitchen island. "You and your family! How could I just leave after everything you all have done for me?" she says. "No. Don't do that. Don't use us as an excuse!" I shoot back. She tries to walk away, but I grab her wrist. She yanks her wrist from my hand and turns to look at me. 

"I'm scared okay! I'm scared to get attached. I've already had one family taken away from me and I really don't want that to happen again..." she yells before quieting her voice. Before I can say anything else, she walks away. This time I don't stop her.