Chapter 10

Author's note: hi everyone! I've gotten ahead on writing so I thought I would drop chapter 10 today. I will still be posting on Friday so look out for chapter 11 as well! I've also been thinking about switching to posting one chapter on Mondays and two on Fridays. Let me know what you think. Enjoy!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last few days have been interesting. Alex, Allie, and Kelley brought me back to Luca's late Monday night. His parents were relieved that I came home and that I was okay. I haven't been to school since Savannah attacked me in the hallway. Luca and his parents thought it would be best for me to stay home and heal. I didn't argue seeing as I didn't want to go back there anyways. Principal Anderson ended up suspending Savannah and her crew indefinitely after hearing about what had happened.

Alex has been coming to the house every morning to keep me company while everyone else is gone. By now most of my injuries didn't bother me except for my ribs. They were still a little tender so sometimes I needed help. Things have been good between us since I told her about the accident. We've spent a lot of time talking about it and getting to know each other more.

I woke up Friday morning feeling more tired than usual, so I decided to stay in bed and watch a movie. I hear a soft knock on my bedroom door just after 8:30am and look up to see Alex in the doorway. "I come baring gifts," she says as she hands me a coffee and donut from Dunkins. "Bless you. You have no idea how much I needed this," I tell her as I sit up. She sits down next to me and I lean against her.

"So...I fly home tomorrow," she says sadly. I knew Alex was flying home on Saturday but I've been avoiding thinking about it. The thought of her leaving makes me sad. It's been great having her here but I know that she has to get back to her life. "I know," I say sighing. She rests her head on mine as I wrap my arms around her. "Hey, we still have today to hang out so let's make the most of it," she says. I nod in agreement as we lay there.

...

"Alright get up and change. T-shirt, shorts, and maybe a sweatshirt since it's cool out. I know what we're doing today," she says as the movie credits roll up the screen. I look at her confused but do what she says. After taking my time changing, I head downstairs to see that Alex has also changed. "Are we going for a run or something? What are we doing?" I ask still confused. "Not running. Nice sweatshirt by the way," she smirks noticing that I was wearing her Cal sweatshirt. "It's comfortable," I say shrugging.

We drive for maybe twenty minutes before we pull up to the Seacoast United soccer fields in Amesbury. Alex grabs a black Nike duffel bag from the trunk before we walk towards the fields. I realize what she's trying to do and stop walking right as we reach the entrance gate. "Why are we here?" I ask feeling the angst surface.

*Alex's POV*
I turn around to see Sophia standing outside the gate with her arms crossed. "We're just here to play some soccer," I say nonchalantly. She hasn't played since the accident so I thought that maybe I could help her get back into it. "I don't want to do this... I can't," she pleads quietly. "You have to play again eventually," I sigh. She shakes her head and looks away. "You don't understand," she says flatly. "Maybe I don't. I know I haven't experienced a major loss like you have, but I know that soccer can heal you. You just have to let it," I tell her. I watch as a tear slips down her cheek and she quickly wipes it away. 'Maybe I shouldn't push her' I thought.

I drop the duffel bag and walk towards her. She doesn't look at me as I grab her hand. "If today isn't the day, that's okay," I say softly and kiss the side of her head. "I think I just need some time," she sniffles. I nod as I squeeze her shoulder. "I want to watch you practice though," I hear her say. "We don't have to stay. We can do something else if you want," I tell her. "We didn't drive twenty minutes for nothing. Of course I want to watch you. You are my favorite soccer player after all," she laughs. "You had me at favorite player" I say before pulling her towards the field.