Chapter 6

*Alex's POV*
The team and I were in the locker room after the game when Jill came in to tell us that we were going back out to meet some fans. Though most of us were tired, we all liked meeting the fans that support our team. It's our way of thanking them for supporting us at every game and event.

"How many fans do you think will be out there?" Allie asks me. "I thought I heard someone mention that there would be fifty," I answer. She nods and continues to change into her warm up gear. After we all finish changing, I walk with Allie and Kelley out to the field.

As we get closer, I can hear the voices getting louder. Groups of people stand near the team bench talking while they wait for us to come out. Everyone begins to notice us as we get closer to them, and many even run over to us. The large group around us starts to disperse a bit once the rest of the team comes out to the field.

As I talk with a group of fans, someone catches my attention. A girl, who couldn't be more than 18, is standing at center field alone. I had noticed her when we first walked out, but she still hasn't walked over to talk with anybody. I politely excuse myself from the group and walk over to her. When I get close enough to her, I tap her shoulder to make sure I wouldn't startle her. She looks slightly confused as she turns around until she realizes who I am.

"H-h-hi," she says nervously. "Hi, I'm Alex," I say as I extend my hand. She looks at my hand with hesitation, but eventually shakes it. "Sophia. It's nice to meet you," she says. "Nice to meet you too. How old are you?" I ask her. "Just turned 16 a few weeks ago. I'm a sophomore at Newburyport high school," she answers. "How come you're standing out here instead of talking to the team like everyone else?" I ask her. She looks down slightly and pulls at her fingers, "It's kind of embarrassing but I was too nervous to go over there." My heart strings pull at the sight of her shyness. "I don't blame you. It can be overwhelming sometimes, but this view is just as good," I say gesturing to the empty stadium.

Just as I look around, I can see Kelly and Allie walking over to us. "Oh good, I want you to meet some of my teammates," I say as they reach us. "This is Allie Long and this is Kelley O'Hara," I continue as I point to them. "Did you enjoy the game?" Kelley asks her. "I really did. This was actually my first in-person game. The tickets were a gift from my parents. Incredible brace by the way," she says as she looks at me. "Who'd you come to the game with?" Allie asks her. "I came by myself. My best friend Luca was supposed to come but he's sick," she tells us. I could sense the sadness in her voice as she talked about her friend.

*Sophia's POV*
Being reminded that Luca couldn't be here with me definitely did upset me a little. This was the last gift from my parents and I couldn't even enjoy it with him. The sound of Alex's voice brings me back into reality.

"We should send him a video or something since he couldn't be here," Alex offers. I was in major shock. "You-u-u would really be willing to do that?" I stutter. She nods and says, "Of course! Give me your phone." I willing hand her my phone and she starts a video with all of us in it.

"Hi Luca. Alex Morgan here with Allie Long, Kelley O'Hara, and your friend Sophia. Sophia told us that you were supposed to come to the game today, but you ended up falling sick. We hope you're feeling better and wanted to let you know that we're taking good care of her down here. We'll also be sending her home with a signed jersey for you as well a pair of tickets for you guys to attend an upcoming game of your choice. Feel better and hope to see you at a game soon," she says and then hands me my phone back.

"Wow. Thank you so much. This video will definitely make his day," I say as I forward it to him. "We're happy to do it," Allie says. "I'm going to grab an extra jersey to sign and we can sign yours too before we have to leave," Kelley says. We all nod and then she walks off. "So, do you also play soccer or do you just like watching it?," Alex asks. "Play and watch. Started playing at the age of five and still do. Well... not recently I haven't," I explain. Alex is about to say something but stops herself as Kelley returns with a jersey.

All three of them sign my jersey as well as the jersey for Luca. Just as they finish up, we were told that the meet and greet is ending. Alex calls one of the stadium staff over to take a few pictures of the four of us quickly before they have to leave. I thank them for everything as they turn to leave with the rest of the team.

Looking down at my phone it reads 5:17pm. As I begin walking towards the field exit, I open Google to find out when the next train leaves Foxboro Station. I immediately start to run as I see that the next train leaves at 5:25pm. If I had any chance of making this train then I needed to haul ass. If I missed it then the next train wouldn't be leaving until 7:45pm. I took the nearest set of stairs to the ground floor, only to find out that I was on the opposite end of the stadium. 'I'm screwed,' I think to myself. I continue to run until I finally make it to the main entrance of the stadium. I bust through the doors only to watch the train pull out of the station.

"Fuck!" I groan as I sit on a nearby bench. Nearly all of the cars in the parking lot have cleared out. The only vehicle left was the team bus that was parked outside of the 'player's only' entrance. Just as luck would have it, the bus pulls out a few minutes later and drives directly past me. I try not to look up at the bus as it drives by because I'm already embarrassed enough that I missed the train.

Now that I was alone, I needed to figure out what the hell I was going to do.