Trials of love

Від Clarajemmanuel

Right from when she was five, Hope, gained the name Everest from her mother depicting mountain Everest, due t... Більше

INTRODUCTION
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER TWO

28 11 20
Від Clarajemmanuel

Amanda sucked in a sharp breath the moment her eyes met with that of her unbearable threat.

How could she surpass the temptation when the man find it best to crawl right back just when she was about shaking the annoying feelings off. Seems her doom had strike without warming. With the handsome man around, there was no way her heart and mind would retract to where it best suit her.

He made her mad.

Made her whimper.

Made her burn in sensitive places.

If only...

"Coconut rice and a bottle of water," Daniel requested with no trace of recognition. His oval face structured like that of a rock. Eyes cold. Lips drew into a hard line.  "Two plates." He added placing his credit card. Withdrew  his hand even before she could fully get hold of it, clearly avoiding any contact.

That stabbed at Eva in a way that involuntarily made her scrunch up her nose. She frowned as she attended to him with empowered vigor that assured of ruin if any reinforcement was added.

Wait a minute. Did he say two plates? "Two plates?" She arched a brow, trailed it to his flat tummy and then back to his unsmiling face.

"I believe you heard me clearly." He forced back a smile when she scowled. " Thought you'd be nice to accept one."

Eva, glared at him. "Do you think I'm some kind of a beggar?" Anger rose to her throat. How dare he? Hot tears hit the back of her eyes.

"How bad is it to make an innocent offer?"

"One more word from you and I am going to paint your face with your food. So you eat it right there." Eva gritted between clenched teeth.

Daniel bite his bottom lip. The beam desperate to escape, danced in his eyes.

Breathing in and out once Eva, set his order, glued her now sharp eyes to his as she handed it to him. Enraged the more to see the now relax expression occupying his face as though he finally found happiness in taunting her.

She should have known he wasn't only arrogant, but also an insufferable man who discovered another level of pleasure from her discomfort. A man who probably finds release from making jest of people he believe to be below his calibre. However she wasn't going to give him the satisfaction. His pompous ass can say all he want to her, at the end he was going to realize what a jerk he had been.

"Nice," Daniel volunteered as if reading her mind. Which, checking closely might be the case. Grinning innocently and so sweetly like sugar, he turned to leave.

"Nice what?" She couldn't stop herself from asking.

"Uniform you have on."

There he goes again! Amanda rolled her eyes.

"Learn to appreciate compliment."

"Never asked for it." She shoved his card into the POS. With a concealed start, hurriedly carried out the transaction to hide the fact that she delivered before pay. A mild, but huge mistake that had got two of her colleagues fired. Exactly what she get for not getting over the past. Was these his own version of revenge.

Without any word Daniel, picked the card she carelessly dumped on the counter, shoved it into his front pocket, picked his dish and sauntered off to the same spot he had occupied the last time he came.

Why does love sometimes comes with pain? Daniel mused as he settled for his meal. He had intended to make her interested in him again, rather he ended up roasting the whole situation. His weak heart proved not to know it best to avoid a second break. Still it yearns for her. He need to learn to protect the pieces left of it from the last at all cost.

Truth be told, he wanted her. Desperately. But he wouldn't have her no matter what. She hated him. He also needed to learn how to return the feeling. The last thing he needed to do was let her walk all over him thereby destroying his remaining pride. Among all the cozy eateries, why did he decide to eat out here? Something he had never done since there breakup. First trial after few years and boom! He ends up here. Right in her clutches. Could it be fate? No. Coincidence was the real definition.

********

Stretching her hands to the sides to return the circulation of blood, Eva riveted at the wallet on a table. After a closer inspection discern the owner of it. She glanced around and back to the table he had earlier occupied, he wasn't there and she was oblivious to when he left. Such carelessness. She pivoted, eyed briefly at the door.

Returning his possession does not mean she wanted to have anything to do with him, Eva retorted at the tiny voice suggesting differently. At least it would be nice of her.

With that decided, she hurried to the table before any kleptomania would best her to it. The restaurant was crowded. If the wallet was still there, it means he'd left not for long.

Scooping the wallet, she hurried to the thick glass door, yanked it open.

Their body collided sending the wallet to the floor.

Alien sensation roared through her blood stream, gingering her heart to thunder in her ears. Embarrassed, she bent to pick it up at the same time he did. Awkwardly, she snatched her hand from his when it touched hers as he retrieved the wallet.

"I forgot it. Returned to__yes, I came back__ermm__" Daniel stammered furiously. Did he need to explain? Anything to escape from the tingling down his spine. "Thank you."

"You might not be lucky next time," was Eva's reply.

"Trust me to be. Like I've been with my heart for all those years," he blurted.

Eva wasn't sure she heard that.

Daniel continued, "one has to be extremely careful when getting over a belligerent relationship." When is he going to burry the memory of them both and move the hell on?

Eva's eyes rounded. How dare he...

"No swearing, Daniel!"

Eva's brow shot up in confusion.

"My apologies, I wasn't talking to you." He blinked angrily. She was driving him insane.

How was it her fault they separated. Now he was playing the offended and she the guilty.

No way was that going to happen.

"Daniel__" Her eyes widened on seeing he'd jumped in his car and had started the ignition already. When had he walked out on her without her knowing. Lucidly clear he was back with trouble and somehow manipulate her emotionally. The fault of their breakup was his to bear. He wanted more she couldn't give. A lot of responsibilities were waiting to be solved and she hated demanding for help from anyone not when she was capable of dealing with it.

The relief had arrived when she lost all contacts of him. Was grateful he hadn't memorized his number off hand. She had once entertained the thought of how he must have felt when he tried her number and it wasn't going through. The frustration that came with it. Her entire body warned of malady the moment he walked magesticaly in front of her. She hadn't expected to react the way she did.

Would she get over him once and for all if she drop her pride for at least an hour and have a tase of his lips. Maybe she was having a hard time because she wanted to have him. Once it was over, she would experience a flood of lasting relief. How bad would that hurt her ego. Words were cheap, action was the hardest. Knowing she had tried would somewhat compensate her if he resist.

Resist?

The fire burning in his eyes revealed no room for that.

Eva wasn't sure how long she stood there staring at an empty space admitting both her denial and acceptance. Two conflicting emotions battling for dominance. His words had shocked her to the core. She could remember how he'd flirted with her the first day he came. What was she to do about that. Might be his indirect way to tell her of his undying interest in her. Eva fell compelled to give it all up. On a second thought, she suspected his aim was to make her restless.

Eva frowned dejectedly.

There was something in his eyes aside from the burning fire she couldn't well place her hand on. She might even be mistaking the burning of hate for love.

Love...

Eva, let out a quivering sigh that rattled to the air and blended with the sound of her pounding heart. If he had revenge on his mind, he better get ready for surprise. She was sure to give that to him.

She wouldn't have recognized him if she hadn't spent some part of her time studying his physique. Learning the details of him with her hand. His glistering brown eyes so imbedded in her mind and soul.

Eva laughed inwardly at herself. He might even turn down her advances now that she happen to be a pitiful waitress.

Not pitiful.

She wasn't pitiful. As long as she's capable of living in a bedroom and living area flat, which she share with her elder sister.

Bless her heart, Favour had been encouraging and supportive since her downfall. Not just as a big sister, also as a true friend she could count on.

As for Daniel, Eva smiled cockily of a sudden, shocked at the same time by her immediate switch. She was going to make him pay for it.

**********

Eva shuffled up the second floor, drained of all strength. Impatient to soak herself in the bathtub to ease the pain in her body and to prepare her mind for another juggling of tomorrow. Emerging towards the door, she met Favour, who's face communicated seethed unhappiness. Her hand crossed over her breast, shoulder leaning on the doorjamb. A posture of someone on the verge of exploding. Eva wondered why.

"What's wrong?" She asked planting a hand on Favour's right shoulder.

With an angry puff Favour, shrugged her hand off.

"Talk to me," Eva urged tiredly. "Are you going to stand there all day fuming?" She demanded with a mild trace of irritation now laced in her tone. She was too tired to deal with her unexplained tantrum.

In reply Favour, chinned to the side indicating her child-like zeal not to allow her entry into their apartment.

"We can talk inside if you wish not to discuss it out here," Eva tried again.

Favour, smirked. Now looking hurt and uncared for.

Then it slipped inside of Eva's mind like teem. She smiled pleadingly. Reached over and grabbed Favour in a hug that took two seconds to be achieved.

"I am so sorry sweetie. Pardon me. I totally forgot it's your birthday today."

With a sigh, Favour stepped back from their embrace. "I never forget yours, you know. Who is the annoying one now?"

"I accept the name," Eva allowed. Then corrected, "for today of course."

Favour grinned. "Depends on how long I stay angry with you."

"That would only make me die of guilt."

"Well, now that we are even, you can as well pass through." Favour shifted for Eva to gain entry.

"Oh, thank you. I'm stressed out. Today had been tardily hectic." Eva smiled. "Not late though. We can still celebrate."

"It's eight o'oclock already. And by the way you were walking like someone ran you over with a truck. Get some rest."

"I can't miss your birthday for anything. Not even my comfort."

"Eva, we can still__"

"I insist," Eva interrupted. "Bill on me. So why don't we grab quick shower and head out for few hours of fun."

"Trying to make up, huh?"

Eva, rolled her eyes in exasperation. "I guess."

****

Eva did not anticipate her face heating so bad when Daniel, came by the following week. she ducked underneath the counter, reemerges when she realized what she was doing. Fighting hard to deny her pleasure upon seeing him. However, her happiness dashed to thin air as by his side was a ravishingly looking ebony, beautiful, tall and slim. Eva couldn't help sizing the lady up from her black stilleto, up to her milk coloured cooperate skirt to her matching off shoulder top. Her silky dark-brown wig flawed below her shoulder. That did nothing compared to the hand Daniel, secured protectively behind the lady's waist. Eva's heart constricted in her chest so violently it left her breathless for few seconds.

A hand that had explored every part of her. Hand that had tugged her and kept her warm at night. Hand that was meant to only hold hers forever...

Dammit!

Forever! Who was proposing spending forever with an ungrateful man like him!

Focus!

Why did he choose to eat out in here with the woman when there are thousands of other classy restaurant that would serve to their taste. A place where you needn't to stand in queue to be attended to. It wasn't making any atom of sense. Maybe he read her deliberation to get back with him, and he was simply trying to make her understand how impossible that would be.

How stupid of him.

Eva, gritted her teeth. Her jaw twitched.

Bravo to him for his success. There would be pay back some other time. He might think her pathetic to worth dating again, but she would prove to him she had been doing all good even before he resurfaced from where he had vanished to.

Since the breakup, she did not for a minute consider accepting another man in her life. Her whole focus had been to rebrand herself. To rebuild her former life. Not a day had passed without a man asking her out. Cheerfully and coldly, she dismissed them all. And here he was, showing off a woman that was no beautiful than her. Not like she was comparing, Eva consoled herself.

Her unblinking eyes rooted to the lady whom judging by mere glance, proved to be a dangerous competition if she ever tried.

Did she just think about competing? Eva decided to check her mental capability with a psychiatrist soon. It was getting out of hand.

He does not deserve to be fought over. She does not love him. He is so free to have all the women in the world if he wants to. She does not give a fig.

Why does she still hurt? She'd tried convincing herself. Ruminated on what she desire, what she should stay away from. She had arrived on a conclusion which was to stick to her decision a month after he abandoned the relationship to never have anything to do with any man till she get back on her feet.

Chancing a look over Daniel, tall, muscled in the right places. Cute and concealed in a black well tailored shirt, blue jean and an expensive looking leather belt with black shiny brogues. Impediment her need for revenge turning her legs to jelly.

Daniel was irresistible.

Not the way she wanted things to happen. She half expected him to cast a knowing look at her to reassure her he wasn't having anything intimate with the woman. If only she knew he was mannerless and heartless. The 'if' was beginning to out best reality.

Eva, hid her flaring nose behind her cupped palm as she continued to stare at the lady till she took a seat offered by Daniel at his now obvious favorite spot. How it managed to always be empty upon his arrival was confusing all at the same time.

The woman looked up adoringly at Daniel, with a dazzling smile.
Daniel returned in a double fold his own version that Eva, remember so well. He sat opposite her, said something that made her laugh so hard attracting few nearby customers. He stood up. Eva, forced a smile to her face to cover the excruciating jealousy suffocating her. The expression melted off when Daniel, stopped by another section. Should that be a prove that he was trying not to let the other female discover they had a history together. To protect her from hurting, while he gladly let her die in anger. Isn't just that amazing.

He brought a tray back to their table and went back for a second. When he returned, Eva swore his fingers brushed over that of his companion seductively before dropping in the opposite chair.

With a practised smile Eva, turned to a customer who's pot belly protruded out of his smaller t-shirt. She collected the credit card he handed over, inserted it and dialed in some keys. Waited for a minute, pulled out the card and gazed back at him. His rough bushy beards, treacherous eyes sent a suspicious signal to her.  A full smile should be added to solve this problem. With that thought, she delivered just that. "We are having problem completing__"

"Who is the we?" He snorted angrily influenced by what Eva, dictated to be hunger. "We what?"

"You can pay cash. The network's terrible," Eva, explained politely.

"Are you dumb?" he lashed, his voice husky.

Eva, stole a glance towards Daniel, to make certain he wasn't witnessing the embarrassing exchange. "No. Sir__"

"What an impertinent reply," he interrupted with a glower gradually attracting attention.

Of all the days, why did this troublesome fellow choose today? Eva, inhaled for patience.
"Mr__"

"I don't walk around with cash. Make the network work."

Eva, crushed her teeth together to avoid firing back what might lead to her instant termination from the establishment. As that unfortunately was the number one rule: never talk harshly back to a customer. As long as the money keeps coming.

Angrily, she carried out the process again only to arrive at the same futile result. She tried again praying inwardly, and this time, went through. With a sigh of relief she pulled the card out after deducting and returned it to him with a weak smile that quickly vanished when he glared at her in return. She dished out his order as fast as her shaky hands allowed. She was already experiencing enough hell to belly another humiliation directed at her in the presence of her ex, and his girlfriend.

"I wonder if the owner of this business carried out all the necessary check before employing you. You've got no brain in that skull of yours," he shouted.

That caused many heads to turn towards her, accompanied by a chuckle.

"I don't think I did anything to deserve all that insult__"

"Oh, really? How easily you forget."

"Please, take your order and__" Something about the way he looked at her with so much hatered was so familiar. She peered closely at him instinctively, her eyes bulged of its own accord when it all clicked in place.

What the...

"You aren't so stupid after all." He grinned bitterly.

Eva's mouth slacked.

*******************************
Word count: 3163

Unlike the first chapter, I decided to cut the second short. I guess a little cliffhanger wouldn't hurt, right.(smiles) like I promised I would be updating as frequently as possible so do add this book to your reading list.(winks)

Your vote means a lot to me.

Thank you. Till next update hopefully before the week ends by God grace.

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

41.3K 2.3K 36
Clutching my towel tightly, I strode over to where Alessio stood, demanding that he return it to me. In my haste, I stumbled on the edge of the mat...
He Taught Me How To Find Myself Від IG: @thee.anele

Підліткова література

57.4K 4.2K 55
"You did Maths Ada, and you're smart. Langa and you are so fucking negative. Two negatives make a positive, so like I said, you two deserve each othe...
931K 27.5K 38
Nov, 09, 2020 : #1 in romance May, 14, 2021 : #1in respect May, 14, 2021 : #4 in lovestory "Don't try and act all nice to me. I know girls like you...
3.6K 901 70
" Olivia, I liked you from the moment you hiccuped your way into my life. It's funny really but it's the truth. I also wasted a lot of time and this...