CHAPTER EIGHT

"How did you get my number?"

Her reply boozed into his ear like packs of bees. So brutal yet caressing. He took a breath of relief. "I went over to your__"

"Don't tell me they gave you my number!"

"Believe me I won't tell you."

"What? Shut up, I'm being serious here. Don't joke with me…"

"Eva__"

"Answer me, Dan." Rolled her eyes when she silently swore she felt him smile. Knew the way to which she had called his name to had been the cause.

"I'm glad you still remember my name. Just the way you like to call me." He flattened from up his chest down his stomach in satisfaction. "It's been quite a long time, my cherrie." Bit the inside of his upper lips when he heard the desperation laced in his voice.

Where the heck was his control?

"Don't be slow-witted by trying to skip my question."

"We can talk over dinner… Don't you think so? Your choice. Pick any place you want."
Anything to say to soften the nasty battalion of commiserative ache playing chess tournaments in his head. Fisted his hand when he discovered he'd applied a strategy, miss Juliana, had initiated. What does that make of him? What does he care anyways… Hers was an ulterior motive, his as pure as the mind of a toddler… Or so he tried to convince himself.

"Mr. Daniel…"

He smirked.

"I've got no extra time to spare on…"

The smirk deepend. This time with a touch of disappointment. Glad she broke the remaining words off for he suspected it might hurt him.

"You couldn't get over me, right?" He wanted to merry at the thought. Opened his mouth to tell her of how he suspected she had been missing him. But decided not to. Knowing her fully well, she was capable of turning the tables around and exposing his vulnerability. What he kept trying to shield from her scotch.

"Too full of yourself. You weren't this arrogant… I mean how much did you pay in exchange for it?" 

He couldn't help grinning. "Eva, we can sought it all out." He transferred his phone to the other ear. "Let's get done with it." Picked a pen, dropped it back. "I'm plucky when it comes to you."

The admission caused, Daniel a lot. He slowly leaned back. It wasn't like him. He could think of half a dozen reasons why he needed to back away. Two minutes back, he could count them off with no trouble. Even throw in a couple extra for better measures. He couldn't for the life of him, think of a single one at the moment. The way she'd called his name, her voice. It made him raw with the need for her. He didn't want to feel exposed, still here he was calling helplessly. Breathing in the scent that had clung to him for years. He didn't want to remember why he shouldn't touch her again.

Desire knotted in his guts when the delicate sound of her breath penetrated into his earlobe, and circulated his entire body. He didn't want her getting deep, so deep in his head. Yet, he wanted her to fill and perfect his world. He didn't want her grudge of the past, nor compassion either. Yet he crave the sense of absolution she unknowingly offered. The sweet fantastic and mind-numbing pleasure of her, mentally.

He imagined his mouth coming down on hers, pulling her to his body and tracing his fingers down the curve of her hips to her thick laps…

"Does everything always work your way?"

Daniel forced out the erotic images out of his head. Dispensed a silent growl only him heard. Probably existed in his head. "I have to see you, Eva." He blurted. Damn the desperation.