THE OTHER SIDE. aa

By -ELIASS

⸻ ARMIN ARLERT X FEM!READER ❝ do you think it's possible for us to fall in love? ❞ in which y/n l/n met a m... More

OTHER SIDE.
ein.
zwei.
drei.
vier.
fünf.
sechs.
sieben.
acht.
neun.
zehn.
elf.
zwölf.
dreizhen.
vierzhen.
fünfzehn.
sechzehn.
siebzehn.
achtzehn.
neunzehn.
zwanzig.
ein­und­zwanzig.
zwei­und­zwanzig.
drei­und­zwanzig.
vier­und­zwanzig.
fünf­und­zwanzig.
sechs­und­zwanzig.
sieben­und­zwanzig.
acht­und­zwanzig.
neun­und­zwanzig.
dreißig.
ein­und­dreißig.
zwei­und­dreißig.
drei­und­dreißig.
vier­und­dreißig.
fünf­und­dreißig.
sechs­und­dreißig.
acht­und­dreißig.
neun­und­dreißig.
vierzig.
END.
BONUS: in einem anderen leben.
JUST A NOTE! :P

ein­und­vierzig.

3.9K 268 960
By -ELIASS

     THE MERMAIDS RUSHED against the current, with the three soldiers rushing ahead of armin. his pace was slower than usual, and he was left behind. his mind was preoccupied and he was having a dilemma; should he get back to his kingdom where his death awaits or stay by y/n's side, even if it won't work out? he just saw her again, he got to touch her and kiss her again, and now they'd be separating their paths once more!

     armin looked down and glanced at the corals instead, his face hidden by his bangs, as his eyes started to well up with stinging tears. 

     no, i-i can't leave her again!

     he badly wanted to turn around, but something in him forced him to stay. he promised y/n that he'd save their kind, and although he wanted to be selfish for once, he couldn't leave his friends and family to fend off for themselves. if anything, y/n would be disappointed if he chose her instead of his own kind.

     oh, why do they have to be different? why was the world so cruel? why wouldn't they leave the two alone to be in love?

     biting his lip, he allowed the tears to spill and mix with the ocean waters. armin's heart ached and longed for the h/c-haired he fell in love with but he could no longer do anything. the blond promised that he'd put his family first before her, and if that was the only thing he could do to show that he really cared for her, then he'd do it. he only hoped that they would, indeed, meet again soon where they'd read each other stories. maybe not now when people are looking for them, but in the future where they aren't so different and they could leave each other freely.

     in another life.

     "oi," he looked up in surprised, "pick up your speed, you little shit, not everyone will wait for you." levi hissed as he turned back around, irritated at the fact that the young mermaid was taking his sweet time to leisure around the ocean when they had some saving to do. armin only mumbled a quiet apology, his tone disheartened before doing what he was ordered to.

     this was the first time they got to fight back from the humans, and armin should feel happy or any of the sorts! and yet, he couldn't find the will to do so. they may have won, but he lost someone important to him.

     hanji and erwin glanced at each other from the front, their eyes softened at the sight of the heartbroken blond. though they wanted to comfort him, say anything that would lift his mood, they have no idea how. only now did they realize that their shared relationship was so much deeper. those two, despite different, understood each other. their love was outstanding, it held an emotional connection. and to have it taken away from you because of fate would hurt, much more than they could even imagine. 

     the brunette only let out a deep sigh, her eyes trained on the unconscious mermaid on her arms. her stomach was tingling in happiness while her hazel hues glistened, ah... this is how it feels to counter-attack those humans...

     soon, they reached the trench and swam past the walls before storming towards the castle. they had no time to waste, those pesky humans would be up against their throat once again to capture another mermaid and these mermaids knew that if they had to, MARLEY would use brute force and would kill anyone if they have to.

     there were civilians watching inside their home, eyes wide and mouth agape after seeing the heir of the throne now resting warmly against a survey corps soldier. the merfolk cheered and congratulated the soldiers for their successful mission, but they had no time to relish in their praises. the military police caught sight of the soldiers with the heir and quickly opened the gate to let them in, a look of surprise crossing their faces.

     armin and the three soldiers traveled around the hallways and rushed towards the throne room, where the ruler awaits.

     the said ruler watched the city buzz about through the large window, her striking purple eyes scanning the crowd in confusion as they gather around to gossip. her black hair was tied in a beautiful bun, accompanied with a beautiful gold crown on top of her head. her trident stood tall beside her, her knuckles turning white as she gripped its handle tight. her brain was muddled and she couldn't exactly think straight. she could only wish for the soldiers' success and her safety of her sister, her heart drumming in her chest as she waits anxiously.

     the large doors at the side of the throne room slammed open and one of the guards rushed in, "your majesty, the survey corps- the heir- they're back!"

     the queen's eyes widened and she turned around to face the soldier, eyes wide and hopeful. "where--"

     four figures swam inside the throne and her purple eyes narrowed but soon softened after seeing her unconscious sister resting on the brunette's arms. they bowed at the sight of her, hands on their heart. "your majesty." they greeted slowly, their voices stern and serious.

     hanji stepped forward, placing the sleeping blonde on the queen's arms before stepping back and falling in line with the other three mermaids. the queen cradled her sister's cheeks, a grin on her face as tears fell down from her eyes. there was a pulse and her chest was slowly moving up and down, and the queen couldn't be happier to know that her sister was alive. the blonde squirmed under her sister's hold and they waited with bated breath. soon, her eyes opened and bright blue eyes stared at the ceiling before falling on her sister's smiling face.

     "frieda." the blonde whispered, a small smile on her face. frieda smiled bright and pulled her sister in a tight hug, which she returned weakly. "sorry, i should've been more careful..."

     the black-haired queen shook her head and pulled away, cupping her cheeks. "no, shh, it's not your fault... i'm just glad that you're safe and sound." frieda croaked out, her heart blooming to see that her sister and the next-in-line queen was safe and came back without a scratch.

     frieda then turned her attention to the quiet soldiers, watching the heartfelt exchange with soft smiles. she had tears on the corner of her eyes, relieved and happy that her sister was with her once again. "i know i ordered you to bring her back b-but... how?"

     erwin was the one who answered with no hesitation, "we don't want to take the credit but... armin's human friend was the one who helped us and brought her back. she was ready to lay her life down to save another being." he replied, his face passive while telling what had happened to the queen. armin tilted his head at the blond commander, a bit confused as to why he was trying hard to make y/n some sort of hero. yes, she was a hero and armin will forever be thankful, but erwin's tone was just puzzling. something was up.

     the queen stared at the four with unreadable eyes, never blinking even once. historia could only listen, her mouth hidden by her hand. then, frieda's eyebrows furrowed and armin felt a shiver down his spine at the terrifying look she held. the young blond gulped and looked down, too intimidated by the queen's presence to keep looking up.

     there was a ringing silence between the group, thick with tension and anxiousness. soon, the queen exhaled through her nose and uttered two words. "human friend?" she asked with a hushed voice, and yet her voice was firm and commanding. her striking eyes turned to the shortest mermaid beside the three soldiers, looking at his face with a frown.

     armin froze and clenched his fists, completely forgetting that no other mermaid (except for his family and the three survey corps soldier) knew that he had a human 'friend'. erwin's posture never wavered at the glare she had while armin started to shake under her sneering gaze, looking away from their queen in a panic. hanji whipped her head to face their commander with an arched brow, silently asking why he had to mention y/n. he didn't answer, but instead, stood straight and tall while staring at their ruler with no emotions.

     why... i'm going to die, aren't i?!

     "so, you're armin arlert." she commented with a low voice, "a mermaid that broke all simple laws. you went past the walls, let a human see you, and now befriended and talked to a human. it seems like you do have a death wish." 

     armin tried to speak up but only managed to gape like a fish, losing his voice due to fear and his buzzing nerves. hanji noticed this and immediately pried her attention away from the young mermaid, "your majesty, we have no time. there's a chance that MARLEY will be capturing mermaids again and again." 

     the black-haired ruler adverted her eyes away from the criminal with a sneer. she nodded and turned around, her back facing the others. she eyed the city with a small frown, "you're right. do you have a plan, commander erwin?" she asked softly, "with your magnificent brain, surely you can come up with a plan that could perhaps... stop the humans for good." 

     "are- are you suggesting a war, frieda?" historia ushered behind her, eyeing the queen with wide eyes. 

     "if it comes to it, yes."

     frieda whipped her head to face the soldiers with an arched brow, waiting for their suggestion. they have information about humans and the other side more than she do, so frieda trusts that the regiment could come up with a plan to finally win against the humans. 

     erwin nodded and cleared his throat, "we don't attack."

     "what..." frieda trailed off and noticed the glint in his blue eyes. 

     the blond continued, now with a small smirk plastered on his face. "armin's human friend suggests that we must do what king fritz did a hundred years ago. clear their memories of us." he informed them, earning a look of surprise from those with royal blood. "it might not be an attack directly to them, but if we do head on and start a war, we might lose more mermaids than we intend to. they have advanced technologies and machines we still don't understand, they can easily overpower us."

     the queen went silent, pondering his words and weighing her own choices. her grip on her trident tightened and everyone could notice how she started to shake, knuckles tight and a panic look on her face. being a ruler of a kingdom often made her think if she was the right one to do so, but she had no time to dwell on it. her kind needed her. she took a deep breath and shook her head slowly. she looked up with a frown, something that made their heart drop.

     "that is a great plan," she mused, "but sadly, i do not have the power to alter their memories."

     they shot up, "what? why?!"

     "each ruler is gifted with a power from ymir and that power depends on which situation you'd be faced with in the future so you can counter-attack it." frieda replied solemnly, "we do not 'earn' the previous ruler's power. we get our own."

     they all turned silent, not expecting for the plan to encounter an obstacle so soon. they were all disheartened, especially armin and the soldiers.

     what now? will they just let the humans attack them?

     suddenly, hanji looked up with her hazel eyes shimmering with mischief. "but then... you must have a power, right, majesty?"

     the said female bit her lip before slowly nodding. historia glanced at her older sister with a concerned look before speaking up, "you can turn back the time, right? you managed to unmold the stone walls back then, sister..." she hushed out, brows meeting together.

     armin's sapphire eyes widened at what he had heard, his curiosity heightened. to alter the time, instead of memories... how cool was that?!

     frieda looked away, "that's right, i can." she sighed out shakily and faced the soldiers, "but i never tried it on something like this." she confessed, her voice laced with uncertainty. 

     her sister seemed to notice this and frowned, standing next to frieda. she placed a gentle hand on her shoulder and smiled, "we don't have time to test it out. you have to do it, frieda, before it's too late."

     frieda eyed the seriousness gleaming in her sister's eyes before nodding once, her face now stoic and unreadable. she ignored the quick beating of her heart and turned her attention to the quiet mermaid, armin arlert.

     "armin, when did you meet this human friend of yours?"

     the blond jumped out of his skin, clearly not expecting someone so high to speak to him. he gulped and quietly answered, "m-months ago, your majesty."

     "be more specific!"

     armin jumped at the sudden loudness of her voice, apologizing quietly before concentrating hard on the tiled floors. he wasn't sure what date they exactly met but he knew that it really was months ago, possibly six months since he met her. deciding that was the answer, he was about to reply when he froze.

     his stomach didn't feel well and he could feel tears stinging his eyes once again. if i tell her, everything will go back to the beginning. he thought bitterly, the sadness that dissipated a while ago now back to eat him alive. i won't be able to visit y/n anymore but more importantly... she will forget about me and all our memories together.

     the blond looked up at the ceiling, deep in thought. armin knew it wasn't like him but he didn't want to tell the truth. he still wanted to see her, to touch her, to kiss her. how can he do all of those when she doesn't remember him?

     but he promised her...

     "six months ago..." armin finally answered, blinking the tears away as he looked up to face the queen.

     frieda pursed her lips and nodded, swimming close to the large glass pane to look over at the city. the others stepped closer, watching with slight excitement shining in their curious eyes.

     this was it. everything was going to change, once again.

     armin licked his lower lips, fists clenched tight until he could feel pain stinging his palm. he wanted to step in and stop frieda from doing anything, the sight of a laughing y/n burning at the back of his mind. he didn't want to lose her. after years of looking for something he was missing, like a part of him that he has to find, it was finally in front of him.

     and just as quick as he found it, he was already losing her too.

     no. please, no. armin's arm shake, wanting to reach out and yell out to stop. to lie, to stall. anything! he wanted to be with her. he didn't want to lose her.

     after all, he promised to read a book to her again.

     armin felt his world crashing down after feeling the castle shake, due to frieda banging the pole of her trident on the ground three times. the world shook around them, with the water swishing ever so brutally. soon, it stopped and the whole world turned quiet. 

     the others looked through the glass pane, their mouth agape. outside, lights were flashing in the ceiling of their cave. it was absolutely majestic, something out of a fairy tale. armin noticed that it shifted from bright to dark, and he could only guess that the time was turning back. form night, to day. 

     even if armin found himself wanting it to stop, he was mesmerized. the golden rays of sunlight that would usually slant through the window gave his sapphire eyes a pretty glimmer while he gaped. it was so colorful and it reminded him of something he saw months ago.

     armin chuckled sweetly, gazing at her e/c hues and the way they light up as she watches the creature called sea anemone. he had no idea why her amazed look caught his attention but it did. maybe it was because he likes seeing people happy, maybe not. however, he saw many people smiling and laughing genuinely already. he just didn't know why his heart suddenly skipped a beat at the sight of her smile or his stomach having that familiar light feeling when she gave him two books and when she laughed just a second ago.

     it was in that moment that he knew, he fell in love.

     the lights reminded him of the way her eyes shined jubilantly underneath the moonlight, accompanied by the orange hue of the sea anemone. just thinking about her eyes and the way she looked beautiful that night broke his heart to pieces, because he knew that he could no longer see her beautiful e/c eyes once again.

     soon, it stopped and the world was terrifyingly calm that armin didn't know what would come next.

     "it's done..." frieda muttered quietly, her eyes distant as she glanced at the merfolk down below. she turned to the lone military police with an air of authority, "tell the merfolk to pack, we'll be leaving this place in an hour and head south. we're no longer safe here, even if the time has been reversed."

     before the survey corps soldiers could leave and help, frieda turned her attention to armin. he felt his blood run cold and he visibly paled, ah, this must be the time where i'll be executed. the blond gulped and shifted his gaze downward, fear creeping in his mind. the others watched, tensed and waiting for the queen's further commands. she stopped in front of him, towering over him by a few inches. 

     "armin arlert." she bellowed, "because of your crimes, you must be executed."

     the blond cringed but he saw it coming. armin still didn't want to die, but he had no choice to do so, he broke a law. but at least... he got to see y/n one last time.

     the queen then continued, "but... your human friend did save my sister, the next ruler of our kingdom. who knows what MARLEY would do to her if she didn't step in?" she wore a small smile, thankful. "but, i would like to thank you instead, in her place. you met a completely different human and she showed that she was trustful enough, i wish i met her."

     armin nodded slowly and felt the corner of his lips quirk upwards. "i'm sure she'll say that it's no problem. that girl is too humble for her own good." 

     "and because of that, all of your crimes would be dropped." frieda inquired, surprising armin. "if you haven't met her, who knows what would MARLEY do to a mermaid with royal blood? and for that," she bowed towards the blond, "thank you."

     armin visibly panicked at the sight of the queen bowing at him, a mere mermaid that broke the important rule. "i-it's no problem, really, your majesty! i-i didn't even save the heir, it's all--"

     frieda laughed to herself upon hearing the embarrassment in his voice, standing straight back up before waving her hand in a dismissive manner. "you're a free man now, arlert."

     the blond's eyes watered and he felt a huge weight lift off his shoulder, "thank you, your majesty." he hushed out before being pulled back by the three survey corps soldier, whose eyes were lighting up.

     "i'm glad you could live another day, armin!" hanji exclaimed, throwing her arms around the young mermaid to pull him in a tight hug. the blond chuckled softly and relaxed in her warmth, relieved that he got to live and will continue to for a hundred of years. and yet, he felt so empty. like an important part of him was taken.

     erwin had a small smirk in his lips while levi only kept quiet, amusement swirling in his eyes as he didn't expect the young mermaid to live another day. "oi, erwin, did you tell her majesty about y/n because you know she won't have him killed if she knows?" levi asked quietly, making sure not to include the two mermaids who were celebrating. 

     the commander arched a brow but nodded anyways, arms crossed over his chest. "yes, it was a gamble of mine. the queen has a soft heart and i know she'd reward those who saved her sister," he commented, "and the reward she gave to armin was his life."

     levi only hummed but he was, more or less, quite surprised. "you and your gambles." the ebony-haired mumbled, shaking his head before swimming off to talk to his brunette comrade. 

     armin looked around the huge throne room, gaping at the chandeliers and beautiful decorations. though he found it beautiful, he couldn't appreciate it. there was something that bugged him a lot. i wonder, how y/n is doing now? he asked to himself, biting his lip as he tried to shake it off. would it hurt anyone if he looked at her from afar one last time?

     taking a deep breath, he swam towards the silent queen and stood beside her. her sister was no where in sight, leaving her to look at the city below her in wonder. "your majesty," armin began nervously, "i-i know this is a stupid offer, and i probably shouldn't ask it, but i-is it okay if i see her one last time? i w-won't talk to her, i-i'll just... i'll just shut up. please forget it, your majesty."

     he turned around to leave but was stopped when she placed a gentle hand on his shoulder, "you love her a lot, huh?"

     armin froze upon hearing her question. he shook his head repeatedly and awkwardly smiled, "u-uhm, n-no?"

     frieda laughed and gazed back at the city, a smile forming on her face. "your eyes have a different look than usual when you asked me to see her one last time. it screams love and adoration."

     "sorry..." he muttered, despite not having any clear idea as to why he was apologizing.

     "you can," she paused, "you can see her one last time, but only from afar. have someone from the scouts regiment to accompany you..." 

     he stood there, frozen at the fact that the queen allowed him to do so, as frieda called out to a certain short mermaid. "levi, can you please accompany armin to the surface and make sure he doesn't make the same mistake all over again?"

     the ebony-haired's eyebrows shot up and quickly stood in front of the queen, "are you sure about this, your majesty?" he asked, a bit confused as to why she'd let armin wander outside the walls once again. 

     "that's why you'll be there, to make sure that armin doesn't get any attention." frieda replied with a small smile, "now go, before i change my mind."

     the two mermaids swam out of the castle and to the city, passing by the confused merfolk who started gossiping. armin ignored them and continued on his way, picking up the speed before leaving levi behind and making him eat his dust. the ebony-haired mermaid clicked his tongue in distaste, seeing as the blond wouldn't slow down even if he told him to do so multiple times. 

     they left the walls after levi told the garrison soldiers what the queen told them. at first, they didn't believe it but one terrifying glance at the short yet scary mermaid was enough for them to let them through. 

     once again, armin was in front of levi. the said male squinted his eyes and noticed the way he looked absolutely nervous, causing him to rush ahead without giving it thought. sighing, levi caught up and grabbed his shoulder before he could swim off and do something stupid. 

     "oi, will you calm down?" he hissed, "you're letting your emotions go haywire. remember, if you do something stupid that can danger our kind, i can kill you."

     the blond was only quiet but it stopped him from swimming away. he sighed and ran a hand through his golden locks, nodding once to indicate that he understood. armin didn't say any word but only continued to swim to the surface, this time, he was calm and slow which made levi nod approvingly.

     armin noticed that they were getting close to the shore so he stopped and instead peaked through the waters. he looked up and noticed that there was no moon in the dark canvas, which levi found to be a perfect time so they could blend in the shadows in case there was a human at the beach. their eyes traveled to the said place, armin's eyes softening upon seeing a silhouette just far from his reach.

     "there she is." he muttered lovingly.

     the two went quiet and watched her, sitting on the sand with her head hidden by her knees. armin could tell that she was probably asleep, as she didn't care about the cold wind that engulfed her in a hug.

     armin wanted to come out and introduce himself. talk to her or just touch her, something that would make him happy. he felt so empty and sad...just thinking about leaving the only person he truly loved made him act so.

     he was so delighted with her back then. how did it come to this?

     even if his heart screamed at him to get there and feel her lips on his once again, he stopped and controlled himself. maybe... maybe it was for the best.

     he got to see the other side.

     he got to meet her and fall in love.

     this was the end of their forbidden love story, and he could no longer do anything but watch.

     the two moved backwards upon seeing another silhouette enter the beach. armin's eyes grew ablaze after seeing that it was her 'best friend', reiner braun. he felt anger coursing through his veins, and he could sense it too from levi. he was the one who betrayed y/n and endangered their lives, who wouldn't be furious?

     but, it was all in the 'past' now. so, being mad at something that they forgot was useless.

     "come on," levi grumbled out from behind, "we're not allowed to stay out for long."

     armin nodded and turned around to leave, watching the soldier disappear in less than a second. he took one last glance behind him, but immediately regretted it. just far away from him, reiner and y/n was talking with what looked to be smiles on their faces. he was jealous, but he no longer had the right to be.

     all he could hope now was that reiner would love her just like he did.

     "i love you." he mouthed sadly before swimming under the waters and disappearing.

     from the other side, y/n was having a peaceful nap by the beach. it was stupid as there was a huge chance she could get sick or that someone would attack her, but the lullaby of the ocean was too calming to ignore.

     however, she soon felt herself being shaken awake. as much as she wanted to wake up and see who it was, she was caught up in a dream. scenarios she couldn't figure out was playing, like distant memories that wasn't hers.

     just faintly, she could hear a honey-like voice call out to her. "we still have to read to each other."

     "y/n!"

     she looked up and gasped, eyes blurry and squinting as she looked around. the said female was confused about her unfamiliar surroundings, but she soon realized that she was still at the beach.

     it felt like she had such a long dream, and it sucked that she couldn't remember anything.

     beside her was reiner, staring at his best friend in concern. "why are you- woah, are you crying?" he asked in amusement, arching a brow.

     the h/c-haired blinked owlishly and touched her cheeks, only to look surprised upon feeling tears stroll down her cheeks. "huh..."

     "what's wrong? are you alright?" reiner asked once more, placing a hand on her shoulder as he frowned. y/n felt her heart flutter and she looked away, a bit embarrassed to let her friend see that she was crying for no clear reason.

      "it feels like i had a long dream, that's all." she answered, looking down at the sand as she does so. she closed her eyes and tried to remember what it was, but nothing came up. it felt so important to her and seeing as she couldn't remember it, y/n was left with a missing piece of her life.

     reiner nodded in understanding and stood up, "well, you just need to go home and rest. come on, i'll walk you to your car." he offered his hand, which she took with no hesitation.

     the blond turned around and started walking, whistling a tune to himself while the h/c-haired made sure that all her things where in one place. she blinked again and wiped her tears with the back of her hand.

     before y/n could even take a step forward, she felt something tugging at the back of her mind, pulling her to the ocean. it confused her, but she just had the urge to go deeper. to explore it, or some sorts. the body of water seemed so familiar to her, as if it was its own human being that she befriended and cherished.

     it felt like something, someone was calling for her down there. waiting.

     thinking about it, she shuddered and quickly left to jog towards the blond's side. that empty feeling in her heart, she waved it off and convinced herself that she was just tired and still dreaming about those scenarios she already forgot about.

     it felt so important and yet, she just didn't know what it was. all she could remember was that phrase that plugged in her mind. y/n guessed that it was something she read from a book, but it held such a deeper meaning that she couldn't even fathom. a phrase that tugged at her heartstrings, a phrase so familiar that left her speechless for the remaining days.

     a phrase she won't be able to forget.

     "we still have to read to each other," she repeated.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41K 2.4K 32
Arms Tonite. 🌋 ❛ Don't you think it's kinda cute that I try to escape the afterlife? ❜ ❨ Eren Jaeger x Fem!OC Attack on Titan...
210K 3.6K 41
- 𝙖𝙩𝙩𝙖𝙘𝙠 𝙤𝙣 𝙩𝙞𝙩𝙖𝙣 𝙥𝙧𝙚𝙛𝙚𝙧𝙚𝙣𝙘𝙚𝙨 ❝ the world is merciless and it's also very beautiful. ❞ aimed for female readers but eve...
530K 20.9K 123
[COMPLETED] "(Y/N), after everything we've been through, I have become certain of one thing. I love you. Having to stay away from you for so long onl...
2K 37 17
Someone who seeks calm with stars while in a world filled with destruction and terror. Y/N has always been infatuated with stars; she thought they we...