Picture Picture

By RightHer

For the booksmart yet naïve 16-year-old Nicky, high school in her quaint little hometown island in the Philip... More

Chapter 1: First Kiss
Chapter 2: That sinking guilty feeling
Chapter 3: Everybody calls her Nicky
Chapter 4: Under the tree
Chapter 5: Flip side!
Chapter 6: BFFs
Chapter 7: Clutch
Chapter 8: Perfect Match, even their names rhyme!
Chapter 9: Her secret, his secret
Chapter 10: The witch won again!
Chapter 11: Done or come undone?
Chapter 12: Just the next valedictorian
Chapter14: The Two-Timer
Chapter 15: M.I.A.
Chapter 16: Somewhere Only We Know
Chapter 17: Teachers's Pet... or Pest?
Chapter 18: And there He Goes Again
Chapter 19: Detoxifying Boy-Crazy Head
Chapter 20: The Unwanted
Chapter 21: The Girl in a Dress, the Birthday Boy and the Uninvited
Chapter 22: Our Song
Chapter 23: Not Again!
Chapter 24: Not Even Friends
Chapter 25: Just One of Those Girls
Chapter 26: Falling...or failing in love?
Chapter 27: Christmas Break
Chapter 28: The New Year
Chapter 29: Weird
Chapter 30: Prom Night
Chapter 31: Shallow
Chapter 32: Half of Her Heart
Chapter 33: The Bad Guy
Chapter 34: The Cheater
Chapter 35: Skip or Dare
Chapter 36: Facebook Friend
Chapter 37: Last Touch
Epilogue

Chapter 13: Cutting Classes

77 2 0
By RightHer

13 Cutting Classes

Nicky hated it that they had no class in Filipino that the entire room was filled with noise of chatters and laughter. She had already tried a few times of shutting everybody up to no avail. It seemed like nobody wouldn't listen to her anymore, and she even attempted to threat them by coming up with a list, but her classmates would just laugh at her, or worse ignore her. She didn't make any list.

"Everybody, if you want to keep on talking and make noises, do the next room a favor, and lower your voices, please," Nicky tried again. This time, her voice choked and almost lost in the midst of the chatters.

"Jeez, Ms. President, cut us some slack and get a life," hollered Priscilla as she sneered at Nicky.

Caught of-guard, Nicky slumped back on her chair. She didn't turn to look at Priscilla who was hovering over a group of girls, as she showered them some gossip. But as Nicky sank down on her seat, from the corner of her eyes, she caught a glimpse of the girls laughing meaningfully at her. One of them was Lois. For a split second, Nicky met Lois' eyes, but Lois immediately looked away. Nicky also spotted Camille giving her a smirk.

Nicky tried her best not to sulk on her seat as she glanced around to look for June, but June was also chatting with Frank, who was like June, obsessed with anime and manga. Nicky already figured they were probably talking about the latest Naruto chapter. She wished she could join them, but unfortunately for her, she's way behind with the story.

Suddenly, John Michael came up to her. "Nicky," he said in his throaty but loud voice. He was a wiry boy and like Frank, also wore glasses, but not really because he had some poor eyesight but just as so he could look smarter. He squared his arms as he looked at Nicky condescendingly. "I had a proposition to make for the exchange gift for Christmas."

"What? But Christmas party won't be until two or three weeks."

"I know. I'm thinking about having this exchange gift activity I personally called The Twelve Days of Christmas," John Michael said with great enthusiasm. "This is our senior year and we should lengthen the giving season."

"I'm not really sure if I'm following you."

John Michael rolled his eyes before he forced himself to smile. "Starting next week, first Monday of December, we are to exchange gifts for everyday for twelve days, with the twelfth day being the day of the Christmas party."

"You mean to say each day we are to give something to our manito or manita for twelve days? Wouldn't that be costly?"

"Of course not. You don't have to buy for a gift. It can be anything you own or make yourself, and well, at least it won't cost less than thirty pesos, except the final gift, which shouldn't be not less than one-fifty."

"That would be four hundred eighty in all," Nicky replied without any hint of stopping for computations. "Almost five hundred. I don't think anyone is okay with having to spend that much for a gift. I myself couldn't afford that."

"C'mon, Nicky. You've got to at least sacrifice for the giving season, and what's best time to do that is this year-our senior year."

Nicky was slowly shaking her head as she thought on the idea.

"Fine, at least twenty pesos each day," John Michael grunted. "Again, it can be anything-like a personalized letter, a card, some crafts, or even a cellphone load if you're that stingy. Don't worry, no themes this time."

Nicky still wasn't sold. She was still shaking her head. "That's really a thoughtful idea, John, but I don't think everyone would commit to giving gifts to his manita or manito for twelve days. It's a hassle enough to think of twelve different gifts for a person."

"Nicky, it's not just a person. Who says you have to stick with one person to give your gifts to? I'm thinking of having twelve different manitas or manitos. That's the twist-and the thrill! "

It took a moment for Nicky to reply. "Twelve persons?" Nicky finally muttered, still hesitant.

"You don't have to think of twelve different kinds of gifts, you could have just the same gift for each person if it'd really be a trouble enough for you," John Michael said impatiently.

"Fine," Nicky replied. "I think it's okay. But you'll be the one who'll talk about that to our classmates, then."

"Of course. It's my idea."

"Right."

John Michael readily proceeded to the front and called for everyone's attention. After three callings, and with the help of Danica, the secretary, John Michael had everyone's attention. Nicky was scorning as she watched and listened to the drill of John Michael's Twelve Days of Christmas. The girls were thrilled, while the boys were not exactly happy about it. Robert and Eddie Boy were complaining that John Michael had to shout to keep them quiet. Nicky loathed herself for enjoying watching John Michael lose his cool. But the class vice-president was really persistent in pushing his idea. In the end, he won, and the boys groaned their dejection.

John Michael then instructed everybody to write their names on one-eight sheet of paper. Then, they rolled their papers up and dropped them on the unused chalk box that Danica had been passing around. Before Nicky knew it, she was already drawing one thin rolled paper from the box. She rolled out the paper. Her manita for Monday was Rhea, her seatmate in Chemistry last year, and Nicky knew that classmate of hers wouldn't be that demanding with gifts. She breathed a sigh of relief.

"Why didn't you download the song?" Nicky asked Red impatiently, during their Music class. Their teacher had let the entire period be used for the duet practice while he was out to the Division's office. Nicky almost had forgotten about the duet. It would be that coming Monday, and they even hadn't practiced yet.

"You didn't tell me," Red replied as he was thumbing the screen of his iphone. "I thought you had the song already."

"I don't have internet at home, and not even an mp3 player," Nicky retorted.

"Do we really need an instrumental?"

"Of course we do. Some of our classmates are bringing speakers and mikes, even lap tops and the whole class can just use them. What we need for our duet now is the instrumental."

"Okay, I'll try to download it tonight, boss."

"It has to be ready by tomorrow."

"We're gonna practice tomorrow?"

"Yup, we don't have much time. The duet is this Monday already. We'll meet up here tomorrow at nine. I think our classmates are also gonna be here to practice for the duet."

Red groaned. "But I got something else going on-"

"No, buts. You've got to be here tomorrow or-"

"You'll come at my house and climb up the gate if we wouldn't let you in? Well, like Josh, we also have dogs, Nicky. And they're not on leash."

"What are you saying? Josh lied. I didn't go to his house and climbed up his gate. I've never even been there."

She noticed Red was no longer paying her any attention as his eyes were back on his iphone, riveted.

Nicky exhaled as she brought her hands together. She leaned to him as she began whispering, "By the way, before I forget, did-in anyway-did you tell someone about--well--you know--about what you know about me and how I feel for-for Ig-Ynigo." Nicky was bowing her head down, and not meeting Red's gaze.

"I don't understand," Red replied. He was also not looking at Nicky. His eyes were still fixed to his iphone, his fingers tapping on the screen, gaming.

Nicky looked up at Red in disbelief as she leaned in closer. "You know. Did, by any chance, you slip to someone about me having some feelings for you-know-who?" Her voice, sounding clandestine, was barely above a whisper.

Red blurted a curse when he came to a sudden game over. "Oh," he then replied at Nicky, tearing off his eyes from the iphone screen. He looked at her, their eyes only inches from each other, their gazes linger for a split second as he replied, "yeah."

"You did?" Backing off, Nicky nearly shrieked, hadn't she got a hold of herself.

"What?" Red's eyes were back to his iphone, his fingers tapping on another game. "No," he said, "I mean, yeah, I thought you already told him you like him. Or his polo shirt, at least."

"No, not that." Nicky's voice was almost raised.

"Why? You want me to tell him about it?"

"No! Please, don't!"

Red seemed to pick up the alarm on her voice. He smiled. "So, he did know about it."

"I'm afraid so. Camille told him. Someone must have told her. And you're the only one who found out about it, so you must have told her."

"Either way, Iggy could still easily figure that out from your fondness of his polo shirt," Red teased.

"Was I that obvious?"

Before Red could even reply, suddenly John Michael came again and interrupted them. "Nicky, the principal was asking for the receipt of the table cloth you bought," he said. He really wasn't looking at Nicky but at Red.

Nicky looked up at John Michael. "Receipt? But I didn't have it."

"You didn't have it?" John Michael asked, smirking. His brows arched.

"I forgot to ask for it. I was in a hurry."

"Oh," John Michael replied, he was finally looking at Nicky with satisfaction filling on his wide curious eyes. "Well, Mrs. Duhaylungsod really needs it."

"Shoot!" Nicky muttered under her breath. "Then, I'll go get it."

"Get it? You're going back to the market, then?"

"Yup, looks like it. And Red," She turned to her duet partner. "I need your motorcycle. You've got to drive me to town."

"What? No," Red immediately said, as he looked up from his iphone.

"Yes. You must. We can talk more about the duet on the ride," Nicky said as she readily grabbed Red's hand and pulled him from his seat. Then, she turned to John Michael, "I'll owe you big time if you won't tell Mr. Cortez about this. We are not really gonna cut class. And we'll be back in fifteen."

"Well, just get back here before sir does," John Michael said with derision marking his voice.

Nicky let go of Red's hand as soon as they were out of the door. Nicky was in a near sprint as she headed to the parking lot. She ushered Red to hurry up. She thought if Mr. Cortez would be back before they did, then she'd just have to think of an excuse. She really didn't think John Michael would cover for them. I could say Red and I were at the backyard the whole time, practicing the duet. We couldn't fully practice with all the noise in the room. Nicky couldn't believe she was sneaking out of class. And she didn't like the idea of lying again to their Music teacher.

"Okay, so where's your motorbike?" Nicky asked Red.

"It's parked at Eddie Boy's."

"At their house?"

"It's okay. It's just a few walks from here," Red replied as he started walking down a dirt path.

"Okay," Nicky muttered after a breath. She had never been to Eddie Boy's house before and wasn't really comfortable with the idea of going there and maybe, meeting his mother, the rival of the school cafeteria.

"You'll owe me a gas," Red said, his hands in his pockets. He was walking ahead, taking long but not hurried strides.

"What?" Nicky asked as she ran after him. She stopped when they were finally walking side by side.

"Nothing's for free, Miss President. And you can't order me around. Besides, it's not my fault you forgot the receipt."

"Fine."

After a couple of minutes, the two finally arrived at Eddie Boy's. It was a small humble house gated with a hedge of yellow-tops. There were a few folding tables and plastics chairs at the front yard that was carpeted with Bermuda grass. Red's motorbike was parked against a mango tree at the side of the house.

It was when they were already sitting on the bike and Red was revving up the engine that a small woman in her fifties, wearing a floral duster and an easy smile on her rather weary-looking face came out of the door.

"Oh, Red, I thought it was you," said Nang Lita. Her voice was warm and kind, Nicky thought it was quite the opposite of Aunt Gracia's.

"I'm sorry antie if I disturbed you. Were you sleeping?" Red replied in a tone that almost surprised Nicky. He sounded nice and polite.

"No, I was just watching TV. Is the school letting you out early?"

"No, we were just gonna do some errand. By the way, this is Nicky, antie, our class president, the SG governor, and the next valedictorian."

Nicky squirmed at the titles. Why does everybody kept labeling me that? Is that all that I am to them? I might as well tape it on my forehead. She smiled shyly at Nang Lita. She was embarrassed that she had been studying at Science High and was classmates with Eddie Boy for more than three years, but it was just then that she had been to Eddie Boy's house and met his mother. She was also concerned with what Nang Lita might be thinking about her especially that she was one of the die-hard cafeteria food advocates. She felt her cheeks burning.

"I'm glad I'd finally meet you, Nicky," Nang Lita said welcomingly. "I really hope for the day I'd see you here."

Unsure how to reply and what to make of it, Nicky just smiled and nodded. Then she readily said, "It's nice to meet you, too, Nang Lita."

"WHAT?" Nicky exclaimed in aghast at the young saleslady who could be just around their age. She was still catching her breath and was not even done telling off Red to drive slower next time. She was clutching the sides of his shirt the entire ride. Her stomach would lurch for every speed bump. She'd be thrown forward against Red's back every time they'd come to a sudden halt, which happened more than twice, knocking the wind off her. She got off light-headed and feeling a bit sick. "I was here at lunch!" She said impatiently at the young saleslady. "I bought that pink tablecloth. It was around two hundred, and your store forgot to provide me the receipt. So now, I am demanding for it!"

"I'm really sorry miss, but I don't think we forgot to issue you a receipt," replied the saleslady as she adjusted her red hair band on her head. She was not looking at Nicky. "And the saleslady who you said you bought your tablecloth from had already left. She only had a morning shift. Besides, you couldn't even prove you bought the tablecloth. You might have at least bring it with you, now."

"I swear I bought it. You gotta check it. There's gotta be a pink tablecloth purchase in there."

The saleslady briefly scanned a pad of what seemed like the store's official receipt, and she nodded. "Yes, there is, which just also proves that you were also given with a receipt," the saleslady brandished the store's copy of the receipt to show it to Nicky. "You could have just lost it, then, which is not the store's fault anymore, miss."

Nicky sighed. She was mad and worried. She was also annoyed with the saleslady whose eyes seemed to twinkle in an odd way. The girl also kept adjusting her hair band and tucking a few strands of her hair beneath her ear every two seconds.

"She's right, Nicky," Red chimed in, looking at the saleslady. "You probably just lost it especially when you were in a hurry."

Nicky shot him an acid stare. The last thing I need is someone rubbing salt on my wounds. But, she chose to keep her mouth shut and not rebuff at Red as she tried to remember of receiving the receipt. She couldn't. There was no receipt given to her. Ynigo!

"How could I forget?" She suddenly said. "Ynigo was with me. He must have the receipt with him. Do you have a load, Red? Can you call him and ask about it?"

"You call him."

"I don't have a cellphone."

Red was hesitating before he handed her his phone.

Nicky immediately grabbed his phone and searched for Iggy's number. She readily pressed Call, and a couple of seconds after, she heard the other line rang, then a few more seconds after, it was replaced with Iggy's voice.

"Ynigo, this is Nicky," she hurriedly said before she'd realize she was actually really talking to Iggy and then, might just stammer in the process. "Do you have the receipt of the tablecloth we bought?"

"A receipt? I don't have it."

Paused. Nicky was in panic.

"Are you still there? Is there something wrong?" asked Iggy. He sounded worried.

"No," Nicky quickly replied. "No. B-but do you remember the saleslady handing me the receipt?"

"I'm not sure. But I remember you received some change."

"Well, I don't have the receipt with me, and Mrs. Duhaylungsod was asking for it. I don't think I lost it. I think the saleslady forgot to give us the receipt. But the store wouldn't give me the receipt, now. They don't have it, and they supposed they'd already given it to me. They wouldn't believe me."

"I'm sorry to hear that. Wait. Where are you? Are you at the market right now?"

"Yes."

"By yourself?"

"No, I'm with Red."

"You should have told me. I could have gone with you there."

Paused. Nicky's heart skipped a beat. How could I approach you? You're practicing with Camille. And I don't think you'd really come with me.

"I got an idea," Iggy then said. "It's good thing you're with Red. I think he has some money with him. You could borrow and buy that same tablecloth for the same amount that we bought, and then ask for the receipt. That receipt will be what you'll give to the principal, then. "

Nicky's lips curved into a half-smile. "But, I don't think-"

"Just tell Red I'll pay for it."

Nicky's heart leaped. "N-no, we could just divide it in half. It's my fault I hadn't thought of the receipt. Plus, I caused you enough trouble already," Nicky's voice was starting to go soft and slow.

"It's fine," Iggy replied. Nicky was still smiling when she heard a female voice talking over to him. She immediately recognized it. It was Camille, and she was asking who's on the phone.

"Thank you so much, Iggy," Nicky hurriedly said and hung up the phone.

Paused. Her heart skipped another beat. Did I just call him Iggy? Had I just ruined it? How could I have been so nervous and hung up on him? Am I already obvious? Could he have already figured it out? Oh, please, I hope he missed it.

"Hey, you!" Red's voice nearly made her jump out. "Are you alright? You look like you've seen a ghost."

"What?" Nicky replied as she gathered herself and extended her hand to give back Red's phone. "I'm fine. By the way, I have a favor to ask-"

"Here," Red said as he took his phone and then, handed her a small piece of paper.

Nicky looked at it, for a moment confused, then a second look, her eyes widened.

"How? Where? Wha-what did you do?" She stammered, looking at the receipt her hand was holding.

Red shrugged his shoulders. "I asked the saleslady to just make some receipt for us, and she happily obliged."

"What?" Nicky's brows rose, looking at Red suspiciously.

"I was just nice, I guess."

"Nice? What in the world are you talking about?"

"That tone. It'll really just piss people off."

"You were nice? Oh sure you were. Trust me, she wouldn't give me the receipt even if I'd be nice to her. And I really did try to be patient with her. For all I know, you just probably flirted with her to get this receipt."

"And I'd thought I'd hear a thank you from you."

"Well, I-"

"You're welcome."

"Thank you. I mean, thank you, really," Nicky said, meaning it, as she looked up at Red.

"Yeah, it was nothing," he said as a smile worked up his face.

"Really, I owe you Red. The gas, and now the receipt. I'll pay you as soon as I can."

Red shrugged. "No, it's alright. Don't bother. It's nothing."

"No, it isn't. This is more than the gas and the receipt, but it's using most of our Music class so you could bring me here. I couldn't thank you enough."

"You mean, cutting Music with you?" Red replied, then looked thoughtful for a moment before he added, "Well, I did say no, but what can I do, you're the class president. And you can't just say no to the boss. Especially when she orders to cut class with you." He snickered right after.

"This is not cutting classes."

"Yeah, whatever you say, boss."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 99 44
"So what did you think of the assignment?" He persisted in getting an answer but Bailey had another conversation already in mind. "I noticed you loo...
100K 1.9K 20
Josh and Katie have been best friends since he first moved nextdoor midway through freshman year. They were attached to the hip and acted like they'v...
392 48 58
[A STAND-ALONE NOVEL] Welcome to Natalia's high school manual! Yup, she's just your average normie student. And nope, this is definitely not...
925 54 64
Niloy ran from his country, Bangladesh, to Thailand to become a BL actor. However, things weren't easy for him. He roamed here and there, working as...