Rebellious Angel

By Angie8177

It all began with a promise While his good friend lay in his arms dying, the last words that came from his li... More

To my readers
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
*~*~*Epilogue*~*~*
Thank You

Chapter 21

30.5K 1.4K 27
By Angie8177

Almost three months had passed, and they heard nothing from Gavin, only that the borderlands resistance was finally breaking. Haroun prayed that his friend would come home soon. He was running out of excuses to tell Brienna.

Haroun stood by on a lower side wall and looked up at the top. She stood on the walls edges looking out over the vast expance of the woods ahead as if looking for him, waiting for his return.

As the days passed, she suddenly grew quieter and more reserved.

She practiced daily, ate with everyone and retired early locking herself in Gavin's chamber every night. Although she stopped asking about him, he knew deep down that she missed him.

******

She sat on the floor before the large hearth in the dinning hall. She listened to the guards as they spoke in a circle not too far away from her. Ever so often her thoughts would drift off into a far away place as she would watch the flames dance before her.

One or the two of them would offer her wine or something as if to cheer up her spirits.

She watched as another guard neared the circle and they all continued to whisper. Their conversation interested her more when the mention of a familiar name came to her ear.
DeFoe

Her heart thumped in her chest at the name and all of the memories that day and anger of what he did barreled down on her. She continued staring at the fire and listening to the men.

Although there was no mention of Defoe actually being near, the mention of his men hanging around a nearby tavern had her thoughts in overdrive. She had an anxious urge to seek him out and face him. Her heart lunged at the idea.

Could she do it?

Was she ready?

With that thought lodged in her head she slowly stood and made her exit.

*******

He was anxious to return home. The long ride wasn't helping the newfound feeling coursing through his veins. In the past, it never bothered him when he would return, because he had nothing or no one waiting for him.

He did now.

The thought of riding in through the gates to see her just set his heart racing.

Sitting above his black charger, he pulled on the reigns to keep him still and watched his men slowly walk past him. The nights sky was riddled with stars and a half moon giving them very little light. Torches were lit so they could continue their travel through the night. He wanted to get home fast.

*******

She felt triumphant galloping on her horse through the night with her escape. Her heart raced fast in her chest with the unknown. Nothing or no one was going to stop her. She needed to find DeFoe and make him pay.

*******

Furious eyes met Harouns as they crossed paths. Haroun going in search of Brienna and Gavin entering the courtyard.

"What do you mean she is gone?" Gavin spoke as calm as he could.

"She left. I have no clue when or how," Haroun sought for an explanation himself.

Breathing heavy in agitation Haroun turned his steed to look at the men following him.

"Are any of you sure you have not seen her?" he asked.

Kevin, a large guard came forward and retold what he remembered.

"As soon as Shawn came near and told us of Defoes men at the tavern..." he stopped when he heard Gavin curse.

"She overheard you speaking of Defoe, she went to find him," Gavin breathed.
Gods teeth she just does not understand danger.

They looked at one another. He belted out orders that they all stay behind in case she returns.

He gave Haroun one last glance.

"I pray I get to her before any harm comes to her. Or, she does something reckless," his lips thinned trying to calm his anxious horse.

Turning his steed he kicked him into a gallop out the gates, in search for his stubborn, impulsive wife.

********

After some time the small village came into view.

She brought her horse to a slow gallop as she entered the clearing of cottages and buildings. She jumped off her horse and walked it to the stables close to the building with loud music and laughter. She braced herself and stood at the entrance wiping the sweat from her palms on her breeches. She fixed her cloak around her shoulder and checked her hood. The door swung open and she dodged out of the way of a man being tossed to the ground along with his sword, cloak and gloves.

"Like I said, no more coin, no more Ale, ye bastard," the burly man that tossed him out, scowled.

Her heart slammed in her chest as two more men followed and tossed next to him.

She took advantage of the ruckus and chaos to sneak in unnoticed. She was met with the dark orange glow and rank smell of the tavern. Men sat around shouting, singing and drinking. Women walked around serving them. Her eyes and ears caught the rowdy laughter and slaps on their rumps as they passed them only to get a snicker and giggle from the woman. Swallowing hard she looked somewhere to sit in the crowded place.

She walked slowly between the throng of burly men that pushed and shoved at one another over the pretty girl sitting on their friends lap.

"I says I saw her first ye old goat," one argued.

"Old goat ye mum is," the other retorted before slamming his fist into the other mans face.

A scuffle between them began and she was shoved on the side and pushed into another man. Falling back she fell into the lap of the man and came face to face with a scowling scarred face. Her breath lodged in her throat as she watched the bearded mans scowl lighten into a wicked smile as her hood fell and her hair fell around her face.

He licked his lips and his grin got wider with yellow teeth some missing.

Bile rose in her stomach as he spoke and his rancid breath brushed her face.

"Well look wot we ave here."

Softly she placed her hand on her dagger. She could not afford to show any fear. His strong hands curled around her waist as she began to stand. Quickly with a thud he sat her on the table and stood looking over her shoulder with a hearty laugh.

"Smitty looks wot fell into me lap," he gave a laugh that shivered up her spine.

A sharp pain came to her head as her hair was pulled to snap her head back to look into the face of the man behind her.

She was met with another battle scared face that was dirty and held a long unkept beard.

He reaked worse then the man before her, so much she wanted to wretch.

He came around to face her beside the other man. At this point she noticed that the tavern grew quiet. All eyes were on her.

The man to her left licked his lips and the other began pawing at her. Quickly she unsheathed her dagger and pointed it at them, backing away from him over the table.

His hearty laugh unnerved her as he slapped away her dagger and the other man caught her ankle.

"Now, now pretty lass all we want is a taste of ye." he raked her body hungrily with his stare.

Her heart rattled in her chest so hard it hurt. Anger and fright coursed through her veins.

With a blink of an eye, she kicked him so hard in the face he flew back against another table. She rolled to the other side of her table grabbing her dagger. Now in a defensive stance she stood to face the other man.

She watched frantically as the other man stood from the ground and joined him.

She listened to the snicker and hoots from those that sat and watched.

"Come now Smitty, yer letin a mere child best ye and a girl at that," a man yelled.

The tavern shook with their laughter.

Whatever it did, it angered him and he charged for her. She backed away and bumped into another man that felt it a good time join in and hold her down by her arms.

She kicked and fought all she could, by the time she knew it she was being dragged to a nearby staircase.

The hooping, claps and laughs died down and the tavern grew quiet. All but her struggles and their curses were heard.

"Let her go" a deep voice ordered.

She gasped immediately and stopped struggling.

Sweet mary!

It was Gavin.

She watched the man holding her legs yell over his shoulders.

"Get another willing wench, this one is ours," he nodded for the one holding her arms to continue but, he did not move.

"I don't see her willing," Gavin spoke calmly walking closer to them.

The man holding her legs began to get angry and squeezed her legs tighter.

Gavin was beside them now.

The look he gave her as she struggled in their arms, one and the other tugging at her.

The sound of a sword being unsheathed got her into a panick and it completely left her frightened when she saw his eyes turn feral and the tip of his sword rested underneath the mans chin.

"She is neither willing, nor is she a wench. She is my wife, put. her. down," he spoke through clenched teeth.

The man behind her that lack wit nearly dropped her first until Gavin shot him a warning glare. The other before his enraged stare immediately dropped her legs, While the other shoved her into Gavins embrace.

Nervously they backed away.

"Forgive us m'lord, we didna mean er no harm," the one that held her leg backed away.

From what she saw they feared him. they all feared him.

He turned to face her, and held her gaze.

Not taking his eyes off of her , he reached to his side and pulled a pouch free from his belt.

"Helga!" he shouted.

Brienna flinched.

She turned to look at the voice that answered. A beautiful woman came into view immediately giving him a curtsy.

"Aye, m'lord," she answered.

"Show my wife to your cleanest room available, and have a bath brought up immediately," he ordered in a stern voice.

With a quick curtsy she stepped aside waiting for Brienna to lead the way.

His heated glare gave her a warning.

She lowered her head and followed the woman up the stairs. She was brought through the long dark hall to the end. She opened the door and waved her in. She bowed her head and entered the moderate sized room with a glowin fire at the hearth and large bed.

Nervously she turned to look at the woman that quickly gave her a curtsy then turned to leave closing the door behind her.

She was alone now, exhausted and trembling at what awaited her. She sat on the floor before the fire and waited.

******

He sat at a table that moments ago sat a couple of men until they skitted away and left at the sight of his enraged look. No one dared approach him. He sat with a full flask of whiskey that he nursed in large gulps.

He stood holding the flask and tossed a pouch on the table with a clink.

"Gordon," he called the man serving drinks.

"This should cover a round of ale for all of the men. Continue all of you, I am retiring for the night," he spoke loud enough for them all to hear.

A loud cheer shook the tavern as he turned to leave.
Now it was time to deal with his wife.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

95.5K 7.9K 32
Picked for the WattVamps February Showcase & now a Wattpad Dark Fantasy featured story! The Risen Series - Book 1 Rebellion I've been a cardholding...
477 36 38
Promise the dead but protect the living. Until a promise to the dead forbids her from doing so. Katell Maeva has spent her entire life as a woodcutte...
444K 28.4K 93
Soon, I was thrusting my chest out to him, as I moaned. Moaned out loud. Trying to give him unhindered passage to my breasts. "Please" I moaned. "Pl...
108K 4K 64
Medieval England - Year 1450: Eleanor was a poor shopkeeper's daughter whose only hope for a better life for herself and her family was to marry well...