Almost Killing the Prince | M...

By Toastter_Treatts

[C O M P L E T E D] The last thing Jisung thought would threaten his life was a job offer and a crown prince... More

Introduction
Prologue
-I-
-II-
-III-
-IV-
-V-
-VI-
-VII-
-VIII-
-IX-
-X-
-XI-
-XII-
-XIII-
-XIV-
-XV-
-XVI-
-XVII-
-XVIII-
-XIX-
-XX-
-XXI-
-XXII-
-XXIII-
-XXIV-
-XXV-
-XXVI-
-XXVII-
-XXVIII-
-XXIX-
-XXX-
-XXXI-
-XXXII-
-XXXIII-
-XXXIV-
-XXXV-
-XXXVI-
-XXXVII-
-XXXVIII-
-XXXIX-
-XL-
-XLI-
-XLII-
-XLIII-
-XLIV-
-XLV-
-XLVI-
For all the history/research hoes out there <3 my last love letter for yall <3
Extra Chapter + (not very exciting) Announcements!

Epilogue

5.3K 381 1.5K
By Toastter_Treatts

"Your Majesty! Your Majesty! There's trouble!" The guards opened the door to the king's office, a new guard, Xu Minghao, scrambled into the room, tripping over his feet as he came crashing down to the floor. He immediately scrambled to his feet, though going down into a bow when the king arched an eyebrow at him from behind his desk.

Minghao pointed a shaky finger whence he came, gasping.

"I- I ran from the barracks your Majesty- It's Chan-" Minghao wheezed, heaving as he held his chest. His mouth hung open, trying to force out words that only came out as sputtering.

"What about Chan...?"

"The guards tied him to a bull! He yelled for me to ask for you!"

The king sighs, carefully placing the scroll he was reading prior to the interruption.

"Where is my brother?" Minho questions, rubbing his temple when Minghao shook his head.

"He still hasn't returned from solving issues in nearby villages, your majesty!"

Silently standing up, Minho heads out of the office, accompanied by eunuchs and handmaids, though turning to them to excuse the servants before he made his way to the barracks with Minghao behind him.

When they arrived at the barracks, the guards immediately opened the gates, revealing a bull in its full glory as it dragged a certain curly-haired general across the dirt, the rope tied to his leg as he cursed loud enough for the kings in Goguryeo to hear.

The young guards who had been laughing at the whole ordeal, all tensed and shut up at the sight of Minho, elbowing each other and bowing at their king's entrance.

"Someone untie the general, quickly!" They hissed at each other when Minho stared at them. There was no glare, no menace, just an intimidating kingly atmosphere.

After many guards struggled to free Chan, they calmed the bull by screaming at it and hitting its muzzle with a scabbard; the beast backing down enough for the other guards to cut the rope that tied Chan's leg to the bull.

Chan stayed on the floor until the guards helped a farmer lead the bull back outside, the whole barrack quiet save for the deep breaths the general let out. That, and the overwhelming tension separating the king and the soldiers.

Minho leaned over him, arms crossed, arching an eyebrow.

"You done?"

Chan scrambles to his feet, his general uniform dusty, and having been dragged through dirt. His curly hair was a mess, and tangled in irritating knots, having turned a light brown from the dust. He lifts a shaky, threatening finger to the perpetrators, snarling and almost as angry as the bull itself.

"You- You brats!" He yells, the guards all cowering with their heads in a bow. "Minho- Please let me execute them! These new guards are nothing but fucking trouble!" Chan sputters out dirt. "I swear- Yah!" They all flinched when Chan lifted a threatening hand to the guards. "Get out of my sight! And you'll do the entire army's laundry! If I find out you didn't, you'll all be stripped of rank and flogged!"

"Yes, sir!" They peeped out before scampering away, Chan turning to Minho with a frustrated growl and a hand furiously scratching at the back of his head.

"This is why I don't let Yongbok leave! Without him, these brats literally take over the barracks," Chan sighs, Minho letting out bubbly laughter as he pats the older's shoulder. The older sighs as he leans back, cracking his spine. "Fucking assholes..."

"Where is Yongbok anyway?"

"He should return soon, Hyunjin and Changbin too. They accompanied Yongbok. Poor boy- at least it wasn't me," Chan shrugs. "So it isn't my problem."

Minho grimaces as Chan sniffs, wiping at his nose with his dirty hands before dusting them off.

"Go bathe."

"Yah!" Chan laughs, pointing a finger at the younger with a passive-aggressive smile. "You think you're all high and mighty now, huh? I swear- you wouldn't be saying that if Ji-"

"I'm the king, shut up."

"It's been a month since your coronation. You've changed, Minho," Chan dramatically shakes his head, Minho pushing him away with a laugh. "You've changed.I hope you get sores on your butt from sitting on the throne."

---

"You're late," Minho murmurs to his brother, who had run under the roof of the small meeting area in the garden, sitting beside the king as the officials all bowed to him before returning to their arguing points.

"Hyunjin fell into the river??" Yongbok held his chest to calm his racing heart, puffing his cheeks to let out a deep breath. "And his horse ran away. And I almost twisted my ankle trying to get it back."

"I feel like you're making shit up."

"You're right, that was all bullshit," Yongbok leans closer with a smile, Minho rolling his eyes and returning the gesture. "But Hyunjin really fell into the river. It took a moment for Changbin to fish him out."

Minho arched an eyebrow, shaking his head. "I'm not even going to ask."

"Oh. Jeongin told me what happened with Chan," Yongbok coughed out, pressing his lips together into a thin smile and a nod. "I'll punish the guards responsible- again."

"There's no need. If they're smart, they won't do it again- had to step into the barracks earlier."

The prince snorts, before scoffing and rolling his eyes. "You're too nice."

"And this is why you're not king. The people'll hate you for ruling with an iron fist."

"You know me," Yongbok bubbles, jabbing his brother with his elbow.

"Your majesty," Seungmin bowed from the group of officials, his squeaky voice making Yongbok let out a quiet laugh. "I know his highness had just returned from a mission. However, there have been reports of villages being run by bandits near the border of Gaya. Shouldn't we send a small unit to take care of the problem?"

"Those villages never provided Baekje with anything. We shouldn't supply the villages with soldiers that could be used to protect the people.Here," another official of equal rank as Seungmin, sitting across from him, replies.

"If they haven't provided Baekje with anything before, then it's their chance to provide something now. They would be grateful that we've protected them."

The officials all turn to Minho, who sighed, nodding before placing his hands on his knees. Minho once thought that Seungmin might become the worst official in the history of officials. The man with his (very) sketchy dealings, his weaseling- honestly, Minho sometimes thinks that the younger was currently working against him. Yongbok reassured him otherwise, but then again, his intuition kind of sucked.

The youngest official was doing well, anyway.

"Very well. Send a small platoon of soldiers to the villages. Let Hyunjin and Jeongin lead them."

"Thank you, your Majesty," Seungmin bows low, giving a smug smile to the official who resisted against his case. Minho knew that Seungmin and that official would probably get into a brawl later on. But Seungmin might be too good for that.

"Wow, look at you-" Yongbok waggles his eyebrows with a small nudge to his older brother. "So kingly, your majesty."

"Choke."

"Love you too-" Yongbok hums. "By the way, I ran into your personal guard outside... How come he's not- you know- protecting you?"

"I don't need protecting."

"You're the king."

"And? You're the prince but you hate it when Changbin acts all 'you're the prince, and it's my job to'-"

"Changbin's different. At least give your guard a chance-" Yongbok huffed, shaking his head at the king's pigheadedness. If they weren't in a meeting right now, Yongbok might've hit his brother for being so difficult. "I mean- I know Jisung-"

Minho whips his head toward his brother with a slight deadpan.

"Oh, you're not joking?" Minho's eyes widened, scoffing as he returned to listen to the officials bickering with each other.

"No. Let go of Jisung and accept a new personal guard. I chose him myself," Yongbok replies with a hum, trying to convince his brother with wide eyes and a smile that ultimately fails.

"Sound's smart in theory. But I've seen Changbin. Thanks, but no thanks," the older replies, Yongbok grimacing. Just like with Seungmin, Yongbok's intuition sucked- and that includes guards. But then again, the two brothers weren't so different. If Felix's gut-feeling was equal to that of a rock, then Minho's would be the pebble right beside him.

Minho leans back, cracking his back for sitting up the whole time. Luckily, none of the officials noticed to judge him for doing so, the older, turning to the prince with a gesture of his head and furrowed eyebrows. "Yah. Go fishing with me, will you?"

---

Minho remembers that night Jisung decided his reward.

It had been a couple of days after Minho killed his father as his request. He was willing to leave him at the hands of the consumptive disease. However, he adhered to his father's wishes at least once in his life.

They had a funeral for him. None of the princes cried for his death, and the officials wrote it off as their strong princely image, thankfully.

And Minho was grateful that the younger thief gave him a day or two to admire the fresh scent after a storm.

They were walking along the paths out of town, Minho wanting to leave the palace before his coronation to the throne. He remembered Jisung thanking and congratulating him then.

And when the birds finally went out from their hiding, the plants and forestry around them seeming brighter, stronger, and the sweet petrichor surrounding them- Jisung suddenly turns to Minho. He smiles small, and Minho's heart jumped at that.

And out of his lips stumbled an "I'll be leaving Baekje."

Minho already knew he would say that. He had been the one to suggest and reinforce the idea, anyway. But he wondered why. He wished he could beg Jisung to stay, to bow low before him and ask for his mercy. He wished he could embrace the younger, to hold him forever. Though he didn't. He only stared, nodded, and smiled. He should've catered to his own selfishness. But he couldn't resist the wishes of Jisung and his potential happiness that had a higher survival rate away from royalty. Royalty only provided him nothing but terrible memories.

As kings go, he was pathetic. He was so easily swayed by some guard.

They returned to the palace then, the younger excusing himself to pack for his journey.

The next day, Minho woke, hoping to find his guard waiting for him outside. Though there was nothing. No bright smile, no cheery 'good morning,' no Jisung.

And even during his coronation. Jisung wasn't there.

Sometimes, harsh storms wash away healthy and beautiful plants. Sometimes they drown in the heavy downpour and the relentless thunder.

"So... I don't think you're listening," Yongbok hums, Minho turning his head and arching an eyebrow at the younger prince.

"No. No, I was," he replies, sitting up properly instead of pathetically slouching and staring at the water.

"Bullshit. What was I talking about?" When Minho didn't reply, Yongbok laughs, patting his brother's back reassuringly with a small nod of his head. "I was talking about visiting Hyunjin and his parents. But it's okay, I know you were thinking about Jisung so-"

Minho scoffs, turning to Yongbok with a deadpan and roll of his eyes when Yongbok punches the older's shoulder.

"Hyeong, don't look at me like that," he bubbles. "You like Jisung. More than... regular friends do, I guess."

"If you think I'll replace you with him-"

"I don't. I'm too good to be replaced. But I do think you want to kiss him."

Minho sputters out incoherent words as his face grows a deep shade of red, Yongbok cooing at him.

"Aw! My brother, the king, the Lee Minho's embarrassed by a guard! How was it like when he said goodbye? Was it when it was raining? Oh! I bet you kissed him, didn't you- you dog! Lee Minho!" Yongbok pinches Minho's cheek, only earning a harsh slap to his hand. "Tell me, did you guys hold hands?? Did you guys talk about sweet nothings at night?Ooh! My brother has been flirting behind everyone's backs!"

"I'm not!" Minho barks, threatening to push Yongbok into the river if it hadn't been for the younger's squeals and annoying screams into his ear.

Minho eventually leaves Yongbok alone, returning to their fishing poles with wary glares at each other before bursting into light laughter. It seemed like yesterday Minho taught Yongbok how to fish within the confines of the palace. Now they were freely fishing in the icy rivers on the outskirts of town. With no restrictions, they made their own rules.

When Yongbok learned the truth about their mother, he couldn't provide an emotional response to Minho. How could he? He doesn't even remember a hint of a memory with her. He only nodded and sighed before asking Minho to fish.

Minho then knew that maybe Yongbok had matured more than him, at least. That Yongbok grew up to fit the throne more than he gave himself credit for.

Yongbok leans over, shoving Minho's side with his own, lightly.

"But you like Jisung. Admit it."

"Will you leave me alone if I say I do?" Minho sighs, pushing his brother away. He tries to wipe the pink dusting his cheeks, before huffing in frustration when it only got warmer from Yongbok's smug smile. Yongbok was one of those people who could just see right through him. "And does it matter? He's happy- wherever he is... And I have to provide an heir to the throne. It's best if I forget him altogether."

"But hyeong, you looked so happy with him. You're stupid for letting him go." 

"And I'm willing to sacrifice my happiness for his own," Minho shrugs. "And how dare you-"

"How did you know he wasn't happy with you?" Yongbok arched an eyebrow.

"If he was, why didn't insist he stay? I was just afraid he was indulging his impulses."

"Because like you, he's stupid. You guys really are meant for each other," Yongbok shrugs, turning to Minho. "He's unpredictable, you should know that. There's something that changed in his eyes. You know, when I first met him he was so willing to throw his life away. He was easily convinced and seemed a little... off. But then he returned with you and I thought- wow- he's- Jisung?"

"He's really Han Jisung."

"No- no- no- It's Jisung!"

"I mean- yeah- It's Jisung!" Minho arches an eyebrow at his brother who had his eyes wide and mouth agape. Minho shuts it with a finger, grimacing as his brother shook his head.

"Lee Minho, You dumbass! It's Jisung!" Yongbok grabs Minho's head with both hands, forcing his body to turn the other way.

Though Minho couldn't see anything, the trees blocking his line of sight. 

But, soon enough, in the distance, he could see it.

Dressed in the full glory of commoner's clothes, sword hanging from the side, as beautiful as Minho had seen last.

"It's- It's-" Minho sputters out, his heart halting.

Yongbok laughed behind him, huffing as he shoves Minho toward the silhouette.

"Go meet the love of your life, hyeong!"

With no time for embarrassment, Minho scrambles to his feet, almost dropping his fishing rod into the river and sprinting toward the silhouette coming more into view. The wind tickled his face and brushed his bangs upward. He sees a man riding a horse, the sun already high into the sky and shining down upon them.

Minho whistles and the horse immediately ran toward him, letting him see and embrace the one he'd missed- he's longed for and wanted to embrace. Who he thought he'd lost, and would never see again-

"Soonie!" Minho cries out, the horse letting out a warm neigh, a small greeting in the middle of a nicker, and a purr. His hands immediately make contact with the soft hide of her muzzle, brushing her hair and patting her neck when he hugs her. "I thought I'd never see you again! Oh my God- I missed you! You'll love the palace, have you eaten well? I hope you didn't miss me too much-"

"Yah! I'm here too!"

Minho perks up when he heard a familiar voice call out to him, leaning over to make eye contact with a certain chubby-cheeked man with dark hair that fell over his big sparkly eyes. And when he smiled, his lips were heart-shaped, making Minho's heart tumble from one side of his rib-cage to another.

"Jisung-" 

---

"And then he said, 'Maybe you just haven't found what you care about- or haven't realized it yet.' I mean the nerve of this guy, am I right?" Jisung exclaims, his eyes widening and his eyebrows furrowing as he sat on the dirt in front of a pile of rocks, moss growing over it and some plant leaves peeking from within the crevices in between.

It had been a long while since he visited. Nine years, to be exact.

"But I love that idiot... Yes, love..." Jisung frowns, hugging his knees and placing his chin on his forearms. "I don't think you'd actually approve of him, Jin-Ae. He's so abrasive, a little dull in the head, illegally sarcastic. But he's so caring, loyal- and talks to his horse so much that it's oddly charming."

It was peaceful back in Silla. The forest that used to taunt him with their comforting shadows, now whispered sweet nothings to him as their leaves danced in the soft breeze, the storm all doing them good.

"I miss him," Jisung mumbles, before sighing, glancing up at the pile of rocks. "Sorry, I never visited as I promised. You've probably reincarnated as something else and lived a beautiful life. But I can't help but miss you. And don't even insist, I've already forgiven you. It's okay, truly."

Jisung blinks, smiling.

"I found out what you mean by living, Jin-Ae. And really, I lost my life back then. But I just found him. He's in Baekje, living the best life as a king. Maybe the best damn king Baekje has ever seen. I even became his guard- can you believe that? Your humble brother, serving beside- not a prince- but a king!"

Jisung leans on his palms, staring up at the leafy roofs, seeing streaks of sunlight peek through. He knew the sky was bright and blue and hopeful without even seeing it. The storm already passed, everything reliving a new, strengthened life.

"I miss you. But I only came to visit. I know, I know- you want your awesome brother to stay," Jisung bubbles before picking himself off the dirt, dusting himself off with a smile as bright as the sky above. "I actually went to Silla with a purpose. Minho helped me find my life, so I'm looking for his." 

---

"Yah! If you think you can steal a horse!"

Jisung bowed low, ignoring the kick to his side from the stable master. Stealing horses was never his forte. But his ego got the better of him and thought that stealing a horse would be easy.

"Please don't call the guards! I'll do anything, sir!" Jisung faked a sob, hiding his face between his arms.

"Aish- I should! But- you look so pathetic- Yah," the stable master called out, Jisung sitting up immediately with bright wide eyes and an expecting smile. "Work for me. Two months should be enough."

"Wait- what?" Jisung's smile dropped, ignoring the stares the commoners gave him for causing such a commotion.

"You want the horse, don't you?" He hissed, reaching over to the stables to grab a pitchfork. Jisung's eyes train from the stable master to Soonie in the stable, rid of a saddle and ears flicking as she let out a small snort. She was surely mocking him.

The man threw the pitchfork to Jisung, who stumbled back with wide eyes. "Then start working, boy!"

—-

From a nobleman to a guard, to a thief, and now finally into a stable hand.

If a decade ago, living in Silla, someone had told him that he'd be shoveling horseshit to please the love of his life he'd laugh at himself.

And then slap the messenger for being so daft.

But Jisung was determined to make Minho happy. And if it meant shoveling shit to retrieve Soonie, then he'll shovel shit to retrieve Soonie, goddamnit!

The sun had set, and the stable master left Jisung to take care of the horses before they go to sleep. To give them one last grooming and another feeding before they retired.

He didn't think he'd be gone for so long- Jisung thought he could steal Soonie, get the sword back and he'd be on his way back to Baekje in two weeks tops. Though from the look of things... It seemed as if he'll be spending a month or two in Silla.

He couldn't even steal Soonie. If he did, the stable master would immediately turn him into the guards- and God knows that the Silla monarchy was still searching for him. Besides, he didn't even know where Minho's sword was. Only causing trouble would bring unnecessary attention onto him, and he'd like to return to Baekje with all of his limbs, thank you.

"Ugh! Soonie-" Jisung grimaces as he chucked horseshit into a bucket, clearing the hay with the pitchfork and pushing it over the fence to the empty stall beside the horse. "I like you- but geez-"

She nickers, Jisung leaning over with eyebrows raised and patting her side.

"Yah- are you making fun of me? Don't get on my bad side- I'm doing this for Minho, remember that-"

Jisung grooms Soonie's side, sighing before shaking his head.

"I'm... talking to a horse, aren't I?"

When he finished with Soonie, he pat her muzzle, stretching so he could return to his room that the stable master generously let him use for the time being.

Though before he entered, he noticed guards patrolling nearby. Usually, he wouldn't notice such things (recently he'd been wary of the Silla guards) but squinting and leaning forward, he noticed one guard had a very interesting sword.

A worn-down scabbard with gold whittled into it. The sword guard was gold, and the hilt wrapped in scrappy leather, though with great embellishing on the tong.

It was a sword fit for a king.

Wait a minute-

Jisung followed them all night long, hiding behind shrubs and scampering from one corner to another to see where the owner (who was most likely the guard captain) would go. It took hours, and Jisung almost gave up his clean slate of being a thief to retire for the night and hope that he'd run into the guard captain again. However, he continued going.

And maybe the heavens found his perseverance charming, as the guard captain finally separated from his group, and walked into an empty street, away from them.

After double-checking for any witnesses, Jisung lunges from the shadows, grabbing the man's neck from behind and placing him into a chokehold.

"Give me the sword," Jisung hisses, the guard captain begging for mercy as he carefully hands Jisung the weapon. It was as glorious as Jisung had seen it last. And maybe it'll be ever more glorious when Minho gets it back.

Though- there was one thing missing.

"Yah!" The guard whimpered when Jisung barked at him, yanking his hair. "Where's the ribbon that used to be on the scabbard?"

"I- I- I sold it to the merchant around the corner. She should be near the tavern- just across from it!"

With a satisfied hum, Jisung chokes the man into unconsciousness, dragging him into the shadows of the buildings and placing a hat on him. To passersby, he'd look like another street drunk!

When Jisung gets that ribbon back, he'll return to his job, and be back to Baekje in-

Who was Jisung kidding?

He's a goddamn thief! 

---

Soonie snorts as Jisung led her up a trail at the base of the mountain, swerving and pushing pack overgrown shrubbery that hadn't been cleared for a while.

They've been on the path for days, coming to a week and a half. After Jisung retrieved the sword, he broke into the store the guard told him about and retrieved the ribbon he also stole from a merchant. He returned the memorabilia on Minho's scabbard, tying it tight before heading to the stables.

Then he placed a saddle on Soonie, strapped her up, and got the fuck out of there.

Screw shoveling horseshit! He'd rather kiss the king's ass!

"We should almost be there," Jisung sighs, patting Soonie's side.

And yes, after spending a little less than a month with Soonie, Jisung also took Minho's habit of talking to her- a horse.What could he say? Soonie was very persuasive and a very great listener.

About two hours on the trail, the mountains and the forest became silent. Quiet enough that Jisung thought another group of assassins would jump out from the shrubs. And he almost unsheathed Minho's sword when he saw someone approaching in the distance.

He started in a slow walk, stumbling from one foot to another as if he was injured. For a moment, Jisung thought it was just a town drunk straying a little too far from the tavern.

But then he broke out into a sprint, Jisung trying to get a good look at him. He didn't look like an assassin- he wore bright clothing, a nobleman. And when he whistled, Soonie halts before galloping towards him.

"Woh- Woh- Soonie! Yah! Calm-"

"Soonie!" The man cried out.

And Jisung saw him.

That familiar defined face, sharp eyebrows, sharp nose, bright eyes, and defined cheekbones. His broad shoulders, his small hands as they reached out to Soonie and hugged her.

It seemed as if Jisung hadn't seen him for decades, his throat drying up as he tried to choke out a greeting.

"I thought I'd never see you again! Oh my God- I missed you!" His voice as soft as Jisung remembered it, it never had an edge to them. And his smile- his smile was as breathtaking as Jisung saw last. "You'll love the palace, have you eaten well? I hope you didn't miss me too much-"

"Yah! I'm here too!"

Minho's smile dropped when his eyes made contact with Jisung, eyes widening. He frowned, his mouth agape as his hands on Soonie's muzzle halted. His Adam's apple bobbed when he swallowed a lump in his throat, blinking multiple times to confirm that- yes- Jisung was here.

When Jisung smiled at him, he didn't smile back, the younger almost worrying that his return would be unwelcomed.

"Jisung- You're-" Jisung yelped when Minho grabbed him by the waist and yanked him off Soonie, immediately wrapping his arms around the shorter in a warm, tight embrace.

He felt bad for leaving Minho without another say. He wanted it to be a surprise, even when Minho looked like he would burst into tears any minute. That's why he left the same day he announced his wish to Minho- he might've spilled everything to the older if stayed another day.

"Yes- I'm- Yah- Yah! Lee Minho!" Jisung giggled when Minho lifted him up slightly and spun him dramatically. The guard hits at his shoulder when the older laughs, airy and bright like he swallowed liters of sunlight. "Lee Minho, put me down!"

"I thought- You- I thought-" Minho chokes out, settling Jisung to the ground and pinching his chubby cheeks to see if he was real. That Yongbok and his partner-in-crime, Kim Seungmin, didn't just find some doppelganger and used him as some cruel prank toward the king to get a laugh.

"Can you stop that?" Jisung pouts, swatting the older's hands away. "I travel all the way back to Silla to make you happy and you're treating me like this- Minho, I'm-"

Jisung let out a squeak as Minho leans forward and presses their lips together into a sweet kiss, eyes fluttering shut as his hands find their place on top of Minho's. Jisung almost forgot how comforting it felt- to be in Minho's arms like this.

The world stopped, the wars found peace; the storms cleared. The birds sang, and the flowers bloomed. With Minho, Jisung seemed like he was in another world.

But maybe it was just him experiencing the life he was searching for. He finally found a warmth for the winter.

He's found meaning to his sister's words of 'Live.'

"-Getting real tired of you-" Jisung breathed out when the older pulled away.

Minho chuckled, eyebrows shooting up when he holds Jisung's hand. It was the first time Jisung touched Minho without a stupid bandage separating them.

"Your wounds," Minho murmurs, pressing a kiss to the prominent scar before jumping away, shaking his head. "Wait- no- Jisung I thought you were ready to leave forever. Why did you come back?"

"Did you not want me to come back?" Jisung hits at his chest with a bubble. "I just wanted to return Soonie. I know how much you love her. Soonie and-" Jisung separates from Minho, gesturing to the grand sword that hung from the horse's saddle. "Your sword." When Minho didn't reply, only continued to stare and let out choked sounds and sputters, Jisung sighs, running a hand through his hair. "Look... If you don't want me here, I'll leave. For real, this time."

"It's not that- I- I do want you with me, it's just-" Minho chokes out, Jisung furrowing his eyebrows and nodding. The words died in the older's throat when the guard's shoulders slumped, his eyes softening as his hands moved to hold Minho's. "I care about you too much."

"I'm just-" Jisung sighs, staring back up at the older's eyes. "I'm just really happy I could see you again, Minho. I feel like a month away from you was too much. I missed your annoying voice."

"But you-"

"No, no, no, no! Shut up!" Jisung slaps both of his hands over Minho's mouth, the older's eyes wide and staring at the squirrelly man, "Don't even start with that! You keep saying that I should find a new life that makes me happy, that doesn't give me bad memories. But that's kind of unfair, isn't it? Especially when I'm basically ripping myself away from people, I care about... People- someone I love- that's not the kind of happy I think of."

Minho didn't reply, Jisung's hands falling to his chest, staring at something obscure with a subtle smile playing on his lips.

"I... I know- I lost someone. Sticking with royalty gave me nothing but bad memories," he plays with the small hairs on the back of the older's neck. "But looking at you, I don't want what happened before to happen again. I don't want to lose you too. Can't I just start making happy memories with royalty starting today?" Jisung catches Minho's eyes. "Okay? So... Shut up, your majesty.Please shut up."

"Okay," Minho smiles, grabbing Jisung's hands and holding them with a furious nod. "Okay. Stay with me then. And I'll protect you too. We'll protect each other."

"Do I have to take care of Soonie for you," Jisung bubbles, Minho hugging him tightly with a sigh. "I kind of have experience. Maybe I can work at the palace stables too."

He relaxes in Minho's hold, feeling his heart thrum happily in his chest, his head light and bubbly. His eyes flutter shut, his hands gripping at the hanbok on Minho's back as he inched himself closer to him.

The older intoxicated him, almost as if he was reliving his days in Goguryeo towns, getting drunk, stealing.

"Jisung."

"Hm?"

"I love you."

And there it was. It was liquor to Jisung. The liquor he would continue to drink and would buy buckets of. Liquor that was so sweet, almost like a kiss. Liquor that was rare, so hard to find, but refilling like magic once he found it.

He was drunk again.

But this time, he loved the feeling. He would never forget it.

Jisung didn't feel any shame in getting drunk like this. He didn't hold a sword with a grudge, now knowing that he did it for someone he cared about. He didn't travel from town to town begrudgingly, knowing that he finally had a place to stay. He didn't collect just enough to last him a day because he knew that he had all the riches he could find just talking to Minho. And for once, he accepted his selfishness, maybe greedily holding onto it.

Because he had Lee Minho. Someone who made him so selfish, but continuing to give the older everything he had. Someone who he knew he didn't want to lose, someone he didn't want to share. Someone who loved him too, who he knew wouldn't leave so carelessly.

And now that the storm was over, he finally gets to enjoy the stronger plants, the beautiful floral blooms, the sweet petrichor.

He enjoyed it with Lee Minho, a king, a bandit, a farmer, a prince.

Han Jisung's purpose, his home. 

---

Y'all I'm crying rn. First of all, bc of BTS' Dynamite

BUT ALSO BC ALMOST KILLING THE PRINCE IS OVER 😭😭😭😭

I just want to thank everyone who made it this far, even if y'all didn't comment or vote, as long as y'all enjoyed this story, I'm happy with it. I want to thank everyone who read this since this is my longest book yet (~120,000 words) and I know us ff readers don't like reading long books all too much lmao. 

But thank you for the journey y'all have given me, thank you for enjoying. 

Again, I'll be posting a "research information" chapter right after this one for anyone who's interested in the history and all the information I poured into this book. It's kind of a love letter to y'all and this book, it shows how much time and research I placed into this story omg. 

This was also my first historical fic so I hope this wasn't too bad lmao. Also I know this book was a huge ass slow burn but I tried to make it realistic to the time period by, you know, not making them all lovey dovey, even when they finally realized their feelings. 

I also feel like this is the only fic I've ever written where a sequel is ACTUALLY possible. Like Minho's king, now what? Unlike Yongbok, he wasn't groomed to be a king. Where's his mother now? What about his relationship with Jisung, how is that going to affect his status as a king? 

OR a prequel sequel, but Changlix LMAO. Like where they first met and shit. Ofc Minsung is NEVER showing up in a prequel sequel but idk. 

Also I've never written a sequel before so I'm probably never going through with those ideas but it's fun to think of it. <3

Anyway, enough of me stalling. 

it's over. 

I hope y'all enjoyed. 

It's been a real one. 

If y'all have any questions or just wanna plain talk, the comment section will always be open for yall. PM is also an option <3

Much Love

Ly <3

P.S. From editor Toastt: This was hell trying to edit this book LMAO. Now I have to go through all of it again before submitting it to the Wattys <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

64.4K 1.3K 62
"Fine, if you tell me you hate me, I will leave you alone" "I hate you" "Hmm, do you?" "Yeah, I hate you so fucking much Lee Minho that it's sometime...
103K 2.7K 53
DISCLAIMER: this is the first book ive ever written so its shitty asf. soz 😭 [High school AU] Although Jisung is younger than Minho, he is the one c...
31.6K 1.2K 44
"I wanted to know more about him." It's the story between 2 college boys, both confused but special in a certain way, Minho was popular but he wasn't...
63.7K 2.6K 112
Han is usually a bit socially awkward and a loner. Despite this, his best friend drags him to the club where he becomes infatuated by a man he meets...