Don't Hide | Bucky Barnes |

By fanfics_anon

And I know it makes you nervous, but I promise you it's worth it, to show th... More

Cast + Characters
Prologue
[1]
[2]
[3]
[4]
[5]
[6]
[7]
8
9
10
11
12
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
A/N
Epilogue
A/N + A Little Gift
SEQUEL OUT NOW
Bonus Chapter - Highly Requested

13

16.2K 444 206
By fanfics_anon

A serene quiet blankets the room of Bucky Barnes' apartment, cloaking and comforting me.

The encounter during our retrieval of the suitcase only solidified the decision that it was best to stay at his place. So here I lay, sleepless, on Bucky's bed while he sleeps on the couch.

I feel awful.

"Bucky, are you sure you don't want the bed? I mean, I really don't mind-"

"Ask one more time and I'll throw you out the window"

I sigh, deciding to just accept it. I lay awake for a while, my eyes glued to the ceiling. In all honesty, I'm terrified of sleeping with someone else in the room. I know that I might have a nightmare and I don't feel like going through the embarrassment of waking Bucky up with my screaming.

I can't stop it, though, when exhaustion crashes over me. Before I know it, my eyes are fluttering closed.

"Your refusal to master the gift I have bestowed upon you is only hurting yourself"

I clench my teeth together, working to keep a placid expression upon my face. I can't let him see how terrified I really am.

I'm left crying out in pain, though, when the doctor backhands me.

"You won't use your powers and now you won't talk? I demand respect!" Clayton booms emphatically. I squeeze my eyes shut, still hoping that these years of my life have been one long nightmare and I'll soon wake up.

I know I won't, though.

So I turn to look at the doctor before me, staring into his cold, dark eyes that gleam almost black.

"You don't deserve my respect" I remark. I watch as fury courses through his system, making his fists clench and his jaw tick.

"I could've killed you when we found you, but I didn't" he lilts, turning towards his medical table and withdrawing what looks to be a barb-tipped whip. My eyes widen slightly and I struggle futilely against the chains that bind me to the chair I'm in.

"Don't think for a second that my refusal to kill you and lose your contribution to Hydra means that I won't hesitate to make you bleed"

"No," I murmur as two guards step forward and undo my bindings only to turn me around and force me to my knees. They bring my hands up, chaining me to arm of the chair. I clench my fists, my heart slamming inside its cage. I take a shaky breath in, holding it for a moment before releasing it.

Then the whip burns across my tender back.

"Wake up, Dawn"

I start awake, taking in a gasp of air. Confusion pours over me when I realize that it's day. I feel as though I have just closed my eyes, little to no rest registering with my system. My heart is pounding from the nightmare I was ripped from, but Bucky doesn't seem fazed whatsoever. Relief crashes over me when I realize that I must've been quiet during it. I only wish it was just a nightmare, though.

Nowadays, my dreams are memories my mind refuses to let me forget.

I sit up cautiously, testing how much my body can move. I almost cry in relief when I feel only the slightest tightness. I pull off the cover of the sheet, pleased when I see no pool of blood. I gingerly swing my feet over so I'm sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Morning" I call out, looking over to see Bucky standing at his closet with a towel wrapped around his waist. I suck in a sharp breath, looking swiftly back down to my hands.

"And you're half naked" I announce, my cheeks burning. He was shirtless the night that I saved him, but I had bigger things going on then. I didn't have time to realize that this man has abs that could be in a magazine about abs. I hear him laugh.

"Now you're shy?" He taunts, only making my cheeks pinker.

"Shut up, Barnes" I state, a smile fighting to break out on my lips. He laughs again and I can hear him dressing for a moment.

"Alright, you're good to look up"

I release a breath I'd been holding as I look up to see him fully clothed, the metal of his arm fully covered. He wears the same baseball cap on his head, the brim lowered slightly.

"I'm gonna go take a shower, see if I can't get anymore blood off of me" I inform, standing up tentatively. When I feel my leg is sturdy, I smile and walk over to my bag. I pull out what I need and walk into his bathroom. As I close the door, I can't help but feel strange. Here I am, staying in the same room as the man who nearly gave me a concussion almost two weeks ago.

At least it's an adventure.

I look at my stomach through the mirror and gently pull off the bandage wrapped around it. A sigh brushed past my lips as the wound is nearly scarred over. My eyes catch on the sea of scars around it and for the first time I realize that Bucky had to have seen all of them while he was patching me up.

Yet he said nothing.

I can't help but smile at his respectfulness. He really is such an old man.

I look down to my leg and do the same, pulling off the bandage only to see yet another scar. A content sigh passes my lips as I proceed to take a quick shower, dressing as swiftly as I can. Once I step out the door, I see Bucky placing a small gun into the hem of his pants.

"How's everything look?" He asks, glancing up to me as I drop off what I need to into my suitcase and move to put a weapon or two of my own on my body.

"Great, nothing's infected or still fresh," I answer, slipping a regular knife into the hem of my pants, "Seriously, thank you. You did a great job"

He pulls his shirt back down, shrugging as he puts a phone in his pocket.

"I've had enough of 'em" he answers simply. I nod, watching how he went from teasing me not fifteen minutes ago to borderline emotionless. It must be a habit or a defense mechanism. As we continue preparing for the day ahead of us, the thought pops into my mind that I should probably contact Fury.

"I'm going to make a call, I'll be right back" I inform Bucky. He nods and I quickly step out of the apartment, leaning my back against the wall and pulling out my phone. I select Nick's name from my contact list, placing the phone to my ear as it rings.

"Dawn, you're still alive" Nick Fury answers the call with. I can't help but smile.

"I am. Bucky patched me up" I inform. I hear a noise of surprise from the man over the line.

"That's good. That means he doesn't hate you"

I laugh, knowing he's right.

"Good, I hope he doesn't," I remark, running my free hand through my hair, "We're setting out today to find out just exactly who it was that's conducting these attacks"

"Smart. Be careful, though" Fury advises.

"I always am." I assure.

"So since Barnes saved your life, does this mean you're positive that he's not unhinged?" The ex-director inquires. I bite my lip, pondering over the matter.

It's hard to infer what's going on inside someone else, I can never be sure. One thing I am sure about, though, is that there's a part of all of us that's unhinged to some degree, a part that calls for growth and strengthening.

"He's not the Winter Soldier if that's what you mean" I answer instead, leaning my head against the wall behind me, "There's still parts of his past that he can't remember, though"

"That's better than I expected. Keep it up, Beckett"

"Sure thing, Fury" I respond, pulling the phone away from my ear and ending the call. I sigh, slipping the device back into my pocket. I re-enter the room to find Bucky collecting the last of what he needs to be ready to hit the town.

"Alright, so what's your plan for finding these guys?" I ask, walking over to my stuff and slipping some money into my pocket. I figure that it's probably easier to leave my bag here.

"Well, the best way to find information on anyone is to walk the streets. I've got a few connections we can talk to as we go" he informs. I nod, walking with him up to the door.

"Lets do it, partner" I chirp, stepping out and over to the stairs. I hear him groan as he walks after me.

"I'm letting you work with me, don't push your luck" he says. I scoff, looking at him from over my shoulder to see the smallest smile break through his mask of stone.

"Wouldn't dream of it"

It feels amazing to finally be working with someone on a mission. Even if it is a soldier who still probably doesn't even trust me, I'll take it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87.4K 2.8K 116
Since childhood, Y/n Y/l/n, Steven Rogers, and Bucky Barnes have been an inseparable trio, always watching each other's backs. But when WWII breaks o...
361K 5.5K 64
This book is a continuation of the previous one.. literally starting right where the other one left off!! Self-insert 🥰 You are a former Black Widow...
75.8K 2.9K 21
When SHIELD agent Y/N helped Captain America readjust to the modern world, she was full of optimism and hope. Then she saw the destruction and devast...
2.9K 41 38
"Keep my Bucky safe alright?" I said straightening Steve's jacket. "You act as if I ain't here, Babydoll," Bucky chuckled grabbing my hand and pullin...