ATLA- Faith's Story

By smollpika

After becoming a young AirBending prodigy she decides to risk her life to run away with her best friend. She... More

Book 1 Chapter 1: In the Iceberg
Chapter 2: The Avatar Returns
Chapter 3: The Southern AirTemple
Chapter 4: The Warriors of Kyoshi
Chapter 5: The King Of Omashu
Chapter 6: Imprisoned
Chapter 7: Winter Solstice part 1~ The spirit world
Chapter 8: Winter Solstice Part 2~ Avatar Roku
Chapter 9: The WaterBending Scroll
Chapter 11: The Great Divide
Chapter 12: The storm
Chapter 13: The Blue Spirit
Chapter 14: The FortuneTeller
Chapter 15: Bato Of The WaterTribe
Chapter 16: The deserter
Chapter 17: The Northen AirTemple
Chapter 18: The WaterBending Master
Chapter 19: The Siege Of The North Part 1
Chapter 20: The Siege Of The North Part 2
Book 2: Chapter 1: The Avatar State
Chapter 2: The cave of two lovers
Chapter 3: Return to Omashu
Chapter 4: The swamp
Chapter 5: Avatar Day
Chapter 6: The blind bandit
Chapter 7: The chase
Chapter 8: Bitter Work
Chapter 9: The Library
Chapter 10: The Desert
Chapter 11: The serpents pass
Chapter 12: The drill
Chapter 13: City of walls and secrets
Chapter 14: Tales of Ba Sing Se
Chapter 15: Lake Laogi
Chapter 16: The Earth King
Chapter 17: The Guru
Chapter 18: The crossroads of destiny
Book 3: Chapter 1: The awakening
Chapter 2: The Headband
Chapter 3: The painted lady
Chapter 4: Sokka's master

Chapter 10: Jet

1.2K 28 6
By smollpika

Momo chases a bug through the trees. In his pursuit he lands on the ground to see a neatly stacked pile of lychee nuts. When he runs toward it, Momo is pulled into the air by a cage trap, joining two other caged animals. The rest of Team Avatar are camping.

Aang: Where's Momo? (The siblings sit next to each other with bored faces, Faith is making a flower band for Melody, and Aang stands up looking around. Momo screeches and the gang looks around.)

Aang spots the three animals in their cage traps hanging by rope on tree limbs.

Aang: Hang on, Momo! (Aang uses his airbending to fly to the top of the tree, jumping from trunk-to-trunk to get higher. He finds the traps' mechanisms, undoes them, and carefully lowers Momo to the ground where Katara, Faith and Sokka are waiting. They open the trap together and the lemur runs out with one of the lychee nuts in his mouth. Katara and Sokka look on as Momo gets on his hind legs and eats it as though nothing has happened. Sokka grunts in frustration and facepalms. When Aang lands, he looks up to see the other two animals seemingly crying out to him for help.) All right, you too. (Jumps up to them.)

Sokka: This is gonna take forever. (Throws his boomerang to simply cut the animals free.)

Aang: (Inching his way upside-down to the traps on the tree branch. They fall before he can reach them.) That works.

The hog monkeys run up the tree and out of the gangs view then Aang jumps back down, dirt flying from the ground as he lands. Everyone gathers around two of the traps and Sokka kneels down to examine them.

Sokka: These are Fire Nation traps, you can tell from the metalwork. We better pack up camp, and get moving.

They gather their things and begin to pack them onto Appa's saddle.

Sokka: Uh uh. No flying this time.

Aang: (Confused.) What? Why wouldn't we fly?

Sokka: (Takes the sleeping bag from Aang's hands.) Think about it: Somehow Prince Zuko and the Fire Nation keep finding us. It's because they spot Appa, he's just too noticeable.

Katara: What? Appa's not too noticeable!

Faith: (Walks up to Appa.) I hate to say it, (Strokes Appa's side.) Sokka is Right. Appa is a ten-ton flying bison with an arrow on his head.

Aang: (To Appa.) Sokka's just jealous 'cause he doesn't have an arrow.

Sokka: I know you all wanna fly, but my instincts tell me we should play it safe this time and walk.

Katara: (Leans forward at her brother and smiles.) Who made you the boss?

Sokka: (Points his finger at his chest; to Katara.) I'm not the boss, I'm the leader.

Katara: (Amused.) You're the leader? But your voice still cracks!

Sokka: (Voice cracks.) I'm the oldest, and I'm a warrior, so (Deepens voice.) I'm the leader!

Faith: (Turning to Face Sokka.) Does there have to be a leader? Or boss? Or whatever.

Katara: If anyone's the leader, it's Aang. I mean he is the Avatar.

Sokka: Are you kidding, he's just a goofy kid!

Aang: (While hanging upside-down from Appa's right horn with feet sticking out in the air.) He's right. (Faith laughs before stopping herself and walking over to Melody.)

Katara: Why do boys always think someone has to be the leader? I bet you wouldn't be so bossy if you kissed a girl.

Faith: (Laughs once again and walks next to Katara holding Melody; Jokingly.) Sokka, kissing a girl? I find that hard to believe.

Sokka: (Defensively.) I've kissed a girl, you just haven't met her.

Katara: Who? Gran-Gran? I've met Gran-Gran.

Faith: (High fives Katara.) No offence Sokka but I think everyone here can kiss someone before you.

Sokka: (Throws arms into the air.) No! Besides Gran-Gran. Look, my instincts tell me we have a better chance of slipping through on foot, and a leader has to trust his instincts.

Katara: (Sarcastically.) Okay, we'll try it your way, oh wise leader.

Faith: (Sighs.) Fine whatever. (Walks away still holding onto Melody.)

Faith walks over to Appa and uses her AirBending to grab her bag. She sighs as she starts to pack her things, Melody then brings her a berry. Faith laughs as Aang watches her completely dazed.

Aang: (Mere seconds later, Aang steps over, now wearing a backpack. Momo is sitting on the top.) Who knows? Walking might be fun. (Cut to the forest at a later time. Between trees the group trudges along, with Sokka in front, followed by Momo Aang, Katara and Appa then Faith with Melody.) Walking stinks! How do people go anywhere without a flying bison?

Katara: (Sarcastically.) Well I don't know, Aang. Why don't you ask Sokka's instincts? They seem to know everything.

Sokka: (Sarcastically.) Ha, ha, very funny.

Aang: (Complaining.) I'm tired of carrying this pack.

Katara: You know who you should ask to carry it for a while? Sokka's instincts. (Sokka's eyes turn to her in irritation.)

Aang: That's a great idea. Hey, Sokka's instincts, would you mind-

Faith: (Walks beside Appa.) Guys leave him alone. (Genuine.) You okay Sokka?

Sokka: (Smiles at Faith.) Yeah, Thanks Faith. I get it. Look guys, I'm tired too. But the important thing is that we're safe from the (Walks through a bush and sees something in front of him.) Fire... Nation.

Sokka sees a Fire Nation campsite with a lot of soldiers; most of them are seated or crouched near the fire with bowls in hand and a couple of them sit close to the tents, which have the Fire Nation emblem on the doorflap. One of these soldiers has a patch over his left eye. They all notice the group and get up.

Sokka: Run! (They turn to run but a firebender blocks them off by setting the plants behind them on fire.) We're cut off!

Aang: Sokka, your shirt! (Sokka yells; Faith runs next to Sokka and throws a bottle of water on his clothes putting the fire out.)

Sokka: (Whispers To Faith.) Thanks. (Turns To the Fire Nation.) If you let us pass, we promise not to hurt you.

Katara: (Whispers.) What are you doing?

Sokka: (Whispers.) Bluffing?

Eye-Patch soldier: You promise not to hurt us? (He's somehow knocked out.)

Aang: Nice work, Sokka! How'd you do that?

Sokka: Uh, instinct?

Katara: (Points up a tree.) Look!

In a tree, a man with hook swords, jumps and takes down two soldiers. He runs forward and takes down two more using his hook swords.

Boy: Down you go. (Katara looks amazed, Aang shocked, and Sokka confused. Faith see's a fire Nation soldier running towards her and she back flips over them and air kicks them in the back.)

Another soldier charges at the boy, but he is defeated.

Fire Nation soldier: They're in the trees!

A young boy lands on top of the soldier and turns his helmet around to blind him, before riding him around while laughing. Another boy launches arrows at the soldiers while more boys come out of the trees. Aang, Katara and Faith are shown fighting the soldiers. Sokka holds up his boomerang and yells as one approaches him, but stops when the boy takes him down first.

Sokka: Hey, he was mine!

Boy: Gotta be quicker next time.

Sokka looks dismayed and a huge boy falls out of the trees and easily take down two soldiers as the boy skillfully takes down one more, causing this soldier's weapon to hit another soldier, who was going to battle Sokka, in the head, making that soldier also fall down.

Sokka: (Angrily.) Man!

Faith: (Looks at the boy and see's a Fire nation soldier running at him from behind.) Look out! (She does three different flips before landing behind the boy and sending a air Whip at the fire nation soldier knocking him out.)

Boy: (Smiles at Faith.) Thanks.

Faith: (Smiles back.) No problem.

The boy then disarms another soldier and runs up to Katara.

Boy: Hey.

Katara: Hi.

They look around to see a now empty camp.

Aang: (Amazed.) You just took out a whole army almost single-handed.

Sokka: (Disdainfully.) Army? There were only like, twenty guys.

Boy: My name is Jet, and these are my Freedom Fighters, Sneers, Longshot, Smellerbee, The Duke, and Pipsqueak.

Aang: (Laughing; looking at the short child.) Ha, ha, Pipsqueak, that's a funny name. (The larger man sniffs his nose.)

Pipsqueak: (Looming over Aang in a threatening manner; in a low, growling tone of voice.) You think my name is funny?

Aang: (Aang looks taken aback for a second before replying in an upbeat tone.) It's hilarious!

Pipsqueak suddenly starts laughing. Aang and The Duke following his action. Pipsqueak pats the Avatar on the back in a friendly manner, though the hit was hard enough to knock Aang flat on the ground. The Duke stops laughing and looks down at Aang sprawled on the ground before his feet, face flat in the dirt, though when Aang raises his head and continues laughing, so does The Duke.

The Freedom fighters raid the camp.

Katara: (Approaching Jet.) Umm, thanks for saving us Jet. We're lucky you were there.

Jet: I should be thanking you. We were waiting to ambush those soldiers all morning, we just needed the right distraction, and then you guys stumbled in.

Katara: (Eyeing Sokka.) We were relying on instincts.

Jet: You'll get yourself killed doing that.

Sokka looks at them disdainfully, Faith comes up behind Sokka and jumps on his back giving him a big hug, making him smile and carry her on his back as The Duke and Pipsqueak look through the barrels.

The Duke: Hey Jet, these barrels are filled of blasting jelly.

Jet: That's a great score.

Pipsqueak: And these boxes are filled with jelly candy!

Jet: Also good, let's not get those mixed up.

The Duke: We'll take this stuff back to the hideout.

Aang: You guys have a hideout?

Jet: You wanna see it?

Katara: (Very excitedly.) Yes, we wanna see it!

Jet smiles at her and the scene changes to show them standing on the forest floor.

Jet: We're here.

Sokka: (Faith is still on his back.) Where? There's nothing here.

Faith: (Confused.) I'm so confused. (She gets off his back and looks around.) Where is it?

Jet: Hold this. (Gives a rope to Sokka.)

Sokka: (Skeptically.) Why? What's this do? (Screams as he is pulled up into the branches.)

Jet: Aang? (Offers Aang another rope.)

Aang: I'll get up on my own.

Faith: Me too. (She goes to AirBend but Aang grabs her waist quickly and Airbends them to the top, causing her to scream.)

Faith: (When they reach the top Aang catches Faith in a bridal position.) Aang! You scared me! Don't do that without asking first. (Sticks her tongue out.)

Aang: (Shrugs.) Sorry, sunshine. (Aang puts her down, turns To Jet.) Nice place you got.

Katara: It's beautiful up here!

Jet: It's beautiful, and more importantly the Fire Nation can't find us. (Smellerbee lands near the two.)

Smellerbee: They would love to find you. Wouldn't they, Jet?

Jet: It's not gonna happen, Smellerbee.

Katara: Why does the Fire Nation want to find you?

Jet: I guess you could say I've been causing them a little trouble. See, they took over a nearby Earth Kingdom town a few years back.

Pipsqueak: We've been ambushin' their troops, cutting off their supply lines, and doing anything we can to mess with 'em. (Sokka is now seen comically hopping around trying to get past Pipsqueak.)

Jet: One day, we'll drive the Fire Nation out of here for good and free that town.

Katara: That's so brave. (Sokka manages to get by Pipsqueak.)

Sokka: (Sarcastically.) Yeah, nothing's braver than a guy in a tree house.

Katara: Don't pay any attention to my brother.

Jet: No problem. He probably had a rough day.

Katara: So, you all live here? (Sokka who is being ignored he sinks back behind them.)

Faith: (Comes up behind Sokka.) Sokka?

Sokka: (Faces Faith.) Hi Faith.

Faith: (Worried.) What's wrong?

Sokka: (Looks down then back at Faith.) I have a weird feeling about this place. I just can't put my Finger on it.

Faith: (Sighs.) I do too. These people, there's something off about them.

Sokka: (Smiles at Faith.) Good to see I'm not the only one. (Looks at Jet.) Let's not say anything right now I want to leave tomorrow.

Faith: (Crosses arms.) So do I.

The group sits at a banquet table. While the group eats, Jet stands on the table.

Jet: Today, we struck another blow against the Fire Nation swine. (Everyone cheers. Katara and Aang smile while Sokka cops an attitude and a scowling face, Faith just looks away with her arms crossed.) I got a special joy from the look on one soldier's face, when The Duke dropped down on his helmet and rode him like a wild hog monkey. (The Duke, without his helmet, climbs up the table. He marches on the table with his arms in the air.) Now, the Fire Nation thinks they don't have to worry about a couple of kids hiding in the trees. (He prepares to take a drink from his wooden cup.) Maybe they're right. (A very loud and long boo is heard; with an angry face.) Or maybe... they're dead wrong. (A loud and long cheer is heard.)

Katara: Hey Jet, nice speech.

Jet: Thanks. By the way, I was really impressed with you, Faith and Aang. That was some great bending I saw out there today.

Katara: Well, he's great. He's the Avatar. And Faith is an AirBending Master. I'm not that good.

Jet: Avatar huh? Very nice.

Aang: Thanks Jet.

Jet: So I might know a way that you and Aang can help in our struggle.

Faith stands up slowly and starts to walk away from the table.

Sokka: Unfortunately, we have to leave tonight. (Sokka starts walking away following Faith.)

Jet: Sokka, Faith, you're kidding me! I needed you two on an important mission tomorrow. (Sokka turns around then Faith stares blankly at him.)

Sokka: What mission?

The scene changes to the top of the forest the next day. Jet, Faith and Sokka are in branches of the same tree. Jet cups his hands and makes a birdcall; several trees down Pipsqueak and Smellerbee step into view from their branches. They reply with another birdcall. Sokka jams his jawbone knife into the trunk of the tree.

Jet: What are you doing?

Sokka: Shh... It amplifies vibrations.

Jet: (Impressed.) Good trick.

Sokka: (Sokka puts his ear to the handle of his knife.) Nothing yet. (Whispers.) Wait! Yes, someone's approaching.

Faith: (Whispers.) How many?

Sokka: I think there's just one.

Jet: (Does a another birdcall.) Good work, Sokka. Ready your weapon, and Faith get ready to Protect. (Sokka takes his knife out of the tree. Faith gets into position as if she's about to make an air shield . Suddenly Sokka and Faith spot an old man.)

Sokka: (Whispers.) Wait, false alarm... He's just an old man.

Faith: Don't attack.

Jet ignores Sokka and Faith and prepares to attack the old man, leaping to the ground in front of the traveler. Sokka watches with horror. While Faith is filled with Anger and sadness.

Jet: What are you doing in our woods, you leech?

Old Fire Nation civilian: Please sir, I'm just a traveler.

Jet takes a step, and with one swipe, sends the man's cane flying from his hand. The old man backs away, but when he tries to flee the way he came, he runs face first into Pipsqueak's chest. The force of the impact knocks him to the ground; Pipsqueak looms over him. He tries to crawl away, but Pipsqueak's foot is on his backside effectively pinning him.

Jet: Do you like destroying towns? Do you like destroying families? Do you?

Old Fire Nation civilian: Oh... Please let me go... have mercy...

Jet: Does the Fire Nation let people go? Does the Fire Nation have mercy?

Jet is about to kick the man, but his foot is snagged by Sokka's club before it can be delivered. Faith jumps in between Jet and the Old man, she sends a big whip of wind that pushes Jet over on his back. Sokka releases him.

Sokka: Jet, he's just an old man!

Jet. He's Fire Nation! Search him! (Pipsqueak holds the prisoner and Smellerbee steps up to search the poor man.)

Faith: But he's not hurting anyone!

Jet: Have you forgotten that the Fire Nation killed your mother? And that they killed your people Faith! Remember why you fight! (Stands up as Faith tries to stop Smellerbee and pipsqueak.)

Smellerbee: We've got his stuff, Jet. (She holds up the old man's bag. The old man is thrown back on the ground.)

Sokka: This doesn't feel right.

Jet: It's what has to be done, now let's get outta here.

Jet pushes past Sokka. Pipsqueak and Smellerbee follow. Sokka looks at the old man still on his hands and knees in pity.

Jet: Come on, Sokka!

Sokka slowly turns and runs to catch up with the others. Faith stands in front of the old man before she gently gives out her hand. The man kindly accepted it. After they said their sorry's and goodbyes the man walked further into the forest. At the hideout, Aang and Momo are playing with the zip lines. He leaps near Sokka. Faith comes back up to the top and places her hand on Sokka's shoulder giving a weak smile.

Aang: Sokka, Faith! Look what the Duke gave me! (Aang is wearing a bag and pulls a small pellet from it. With a sly grin, he tosses it next to Momo, where it explodes with a pop. Momo puffs up like a startled cat. He hisses and lunges for the bag. Momo sits on Aang's shoulder and tosses several pellets at his feet. Aang dances about wildly.) Ow! Quit it!

Sokka is oblivious of it all. He's sitting with his back to the trunk and staring at the ground, sadly. Faith just sits beside him and tries to hug him. Katara walks up.

Katara: Hey, Sokka. Is Jet back?

Sokka: Yeah he's back. But we're leaving.

Aang: What?

Katara: But I made him this hat. (She shows a cap made out of stitched leaves with a flower on top.)

Sokka: Your boyfriend Jet's a thug.

Katara: What? No, he's not.

Faith: He's messed up Katara.

Aang: He's not messed up, he's just got a different way of life, a really fun way of life.

Sokka/Faith: He beat and robbed a harmless old man!

Katara: I wanna hear Jet's side of the story. (The scene changes to Jet in a room.)

Jet: Sokka, Faith you told them what happened, but you didn't mention that the guy was Fire Nation?

Jet is sitting on a hammock-bed, the others stand. Sokka stands grumpily as far away as he can get. Faith just stands next to Sokka and Angrily glares him down. Aang is wearing the hat Katara made; he looks ridiculous and goofy.

Katara: No, they conveniently left that part out.

Sokka: Fine! But even if he was Fire Nation, he was a harmless civilian!

Faith: (Shouting.) He was just walking through! You hurt a poor old man Jet! (Points at him.) He wasn't hurting anyone!

Jet: He was an assassin, Faith.

Jet pulls out a knife and thrusts it into a nearby stump. It is a sinister looking curved blade. There are four spikes evenly spaced along the grip, with enough space for fingers to go between them. There is a ring on the butt of the knife.

Jet: See? There's a compartment for poison in the knife. (He pulls on the ring and removes a small glass tube filled with red liquid.) He was sent to eliminate me; you helped save my life, Faith and Sokka.

Katara: I knew there was an explanation.

Sokka: I didn't see any knife!

Jet: That's because he was concealing it.

Katara: See, Sokka? I'm sure you just didn't notice the knife.

Faith: There was no knife! I'm going back to the hut and packing my things. (Faith grabs Sokka's hand and pulls them away.)

The two make it to the hut and start to pack up. Sokka stares at Faith while Faith just Angrily puts things in her bag.

Faith: (Starts to get annoyed.) Ugh! (She throws a book at the wall.) I hate this place! (She continues to pack while Sokka just comes up behind her.) The people here! They are just so... ugh!

Sokka: (Sadly.) I know. I think the worst part is (Sits down beside her.) Aang and Katara don't realise.

Faith: (Frowns.) No, they just don't believe us. They don't trust us.

Sokka: (Turns Faith around.) At least we know the truth right? I heard them say to Aang and Katara that they are needed for something. We can find out what that is tonight. And expose them!

Faith: (Smiles.) Yeah thats a good idea.

Faith hugs Sokka as Sokka just stands up and pulls her into a tighter hug. They stay like that until they hear footsteps come up next to them. Faith and Sokka break the hug and stare at Katara and Aang.

Katara: We can't leave now with the Fire Nation about to burn down a forest!

Sokka: I'm sorry Katara. Jet's very smooth, but we can't trust him.

Faith: (Angrily.) Jet can't be trusted guys! I know they are up to something.

Katara: You know what I think? You're jealous that he's a better warrior and a better leader!

Sokka: Katara, I'm not jealous of Jet.

Faith: (Rudely.) Why would anyone be Jealous of him?!

Aang: (Crosses arm's.) That's rude Faith! He's just doing what he thinks is right!

Faith: (Angrily.) Aang he cant be trusted!

Aang: (Waving his arms around.) Apparently neither can you! Your blaming him for something he didn't even do! (Points at Faith.) You can't be trusted! Ugh I can't believe you! (Starts yelling.) You are just being unfair and horrible to Jet.

Faith's eyes start to tear up as she starts to cry with wide eyes. Sokka quickly pulls Faith into a hug as she starts to cry more. Aang finally lets go of his anger to see Faith crying in Sokka's arms. Aang goes to hug her but Faith just let's go of Sokka and pushes past Aang. She shoves her way out of the tent and down into the main forest.

She walks through the forest and see's the sun start to dim. She sighs and makes her way back to the hut.

As she steps in she see's Aang sleeping in her sleeping bag clearly waiting for her. She shakes her head and goes over to Sokka. She shakes him gently as Sokka's just yawns and sits up straight.

Jet: Let's go.

Sokka wakes up fully. They pull the doors flaps aside enough to see some of Jet's followers descending on the rope lines. Faith grabs Sokka's arms and slowly uses her AirBending to descend slowly. On the ground below them, Jet's Freedom Fighters are quietly pushing the loaded wagon as Jet leads them out of the camp. The duo stealthily follow, In the dark valley. Upstream, and up toward the wall of the valley there is an old falls, and beyond that a man-made dam. A bare cliff off to the reservoir's left provides the view. Jet and his boys emerge from the forest. He goes to the edge and looks down on the dam below. The reservoir behind it is low. He turns back to the wagon.

Jet: Now listen, you are not to blow the dam until I give the signal. If the reservoir isn't full, the Fire Nation troops could survive. (The Duke jumps off the wagon.)

The Duke: But what about the people in the town, won't they get wiped out too? (Jet places a hand on The Duke's shoulder.)

Jet: Look Duke, that's the price of ridding this area of the Fire Nation. (To Longshot.) Now don't blow the dam until I give the signal—got it? (Longshot nods.)

Sokka and Faith watch incredulously from the bushes. Sokka frowns, and Faith just stares Angrily, they then hear rustling just before Pipsqueak drags Sokka out by his wolf-tail. Smellerbee's knife is instantly at his throat. Pipsqueak grabs Faith and holds her tightly placing a knife at Faith's throat.

Smellerbee: (Sneering.) Where do you think you're going, ponytail?

Jet, standing near the edge of the cliff. As he watches, Pipsqueak and Smellerbee drag Sokka and Faith. Pipsqueak still holds his knife at her throat.

Jet: Faith, Sokka, I'm glad you decided to join us. (Pipsqueak and Smellerbee send The duo to their knees. Sokka's Rubs his shoulder.)

Sokka: I heard your plan to destroy the Earth Kingdom town.

Jet: Our plan is to rid the valley of the Fire Nation.

Faith: There are people living there, Jet; mothers and fathers and children. You will destroy families!

Jet: We can't win without making some sacrifices. (Sokka points an accusing finger at Jet.)

Sokka: You lied to Aang and Katara about the forest fire!

Jet: Because they don't understand the demands of war. Not like you and I do.

Sokka: I do understand. I understand that there's nothing you won't do to get what you want.

Jet: I was hoping you'd have an open mind, but I can see you've made your choice.

Smellerbee reaches for Sokka. Before he can even react, Jet has his wrist pinned with the hooks of his shuang gou. Sokka's other hand is forced behind his back.

Jet: I can't let you warn Katara and Aang. (Jet releases Sokka's hand; it is immediately forced behind his back.) Take them for a walk, a long walk.

Sokka: You can't do this!

Jet: Cheer up, Sokka. We're gonna win a great victory against the Fire Nation today.

Faith: (Yelling.) You won't get away with this!

Jet, Katara, and Aang are walking upriver along its west bank.

Katara: Jet, I'm sorry about how Sokka's been acting, Faith too. She's normally so sweet and innocent.

Jet: No worries, they already apologised.

Aang: Really? (Aang and Katara stop and look at one another.) Sokka apologized?

Jet: Yeah, I was surprised too. I got the sense that maybe you talked to him or something.

Katara: Yeah, I did.

Jet: I guess something you said got through to him. Anyhow, he went out on a scouting mission with Pipsqueak and Smellerbee. Faith is with them if your worried about her Aang.

Aang: (Smiles.) Good. I'll talk to her when she comes back.

Katara: I'm glad he cooled off. He's so stubborn sometimes.

They are now walking in the gully, beside the 'river'. Aang pauses after noticing something strange, and is launched into the air by a blast from the geyser he was standing on.

Jet: All right, we're here. Underground water's trying to escape through these vents. I need you guys to help it a lot.

Katara: I've never used bending on water I can't see. I don't know... (Jet stands behind her and places his hands on her shoulders.)

Jet: Katara. You can do this.

Aang: (Airbends himself back on the ground.) What about me?

Jet: I know the Avatar can do this.

Aang: (Sighs: Mumbles.) Faith would be more supportive...

Aang and Katara stand on one of the many geysers in the gully. While Jet looks on, they bend the water up. After a few minutes, a stream of water emerges from the hole. They pull it to their height and send it toward the river where it continues to flow like a waterfall. The water quickly joins the river.

Jet: Yes! Good job! This river empties into the reservoir--a few more geysers and it'll be full.

Aang: Look, there's another steam vent. (Aang and Katara walk off in its direction.)

Jet: Okay. You two keep it up, I'll go check on things at the reservoir. (He turns and walks away.)

Katara: When we're done we'll meet you over there.

Jet: Actually... probably better if you meet me back at the hideout when you're done. (Jet resumes walking away Aang and Katara bend the next geyser into another fountain.)

Aang: (Later.) I bet that's enough, and I'm not just saying that to be lazy. (Around them, over a dozen geysers flow into the river.)

Katara: Let's catch up with Jet at the reservoir.

Aang: I thought we agreed to meet Jet back at the hideout.

Katara: Well, we finished early. I'm sure he'll be happy to see us.

The scene changes to a path in the forest. Pipsqueak and Smellerbee follow Sokka and Faith, who have their hands tied behind their backs. Smellerbee gives Sokka a shove; Sokka stumbles but remains on his feet. Faith stares angrily.

Smellerbee: Come on, move along!

Sokka: How can you stand by and do nothing while Jet wipes out a whole town?

Faith: (Sadly.) All those innocent people, they are going to be killed.

Pipsqueak: Hey listen Guys, Jet's a great leader. We follow what he says, and things always turn out okay. (Sokka notices a couple of snare leaf-piles nearby identical to the one that enticed Momo, right down to the pile of nuts.)

Sokka: If that's how Jet leads, then he's got a lot to learn. (Sokka sprints off in the direction of the snares. Smellerbee makes a grab for him, but misses.)

Smellerbee: Hey! (They give chase. Sokka leaps over the leaf piles. Pipsqueak and Smellerbee don't, and end up snared and hanging many feet up in the air, Faith Walks besides Sokka with her hands untied.)

Sokka: While you two are up there, you might want to practice your knot work. (He holds up his now-worthless bindings, turns, and walks away Faith then follows behind him.)

Pipsqueak: Hey Smellerbee, you gonna eat your lychee nuts? (Smellerbee hits him in the head with a lychee nut and it lands in the pile he's holding.) Ooh. (He picks one up and licks his lips.)

Faith: (Sokka and her are running towards the village.) I need to stop Jet! Warn the village I'm going for Jet.

Sokka: (Smiles.) Stay safe, Shrimpy!

Faith smiles at him as she starts running towards the dam.

Katara and Aang are standing on the edge of the cliff. At the base of the dam, four of Jet's people are unloading barrels from the wagon and arranging them.

Katara: What are they doing?

Aang: Hey, those are the red barrels he got from the Fire Nation.

Katara: Why would they need blasting jelly? (Aang is horrified.)

Aang: Because Jet's gonna blow up the dam.

Katara: What? No, that would destroy the town. Jet wouldn't do that. (Aang opens his glider.)

Aang: I've gotta stop him. (He takes off.)

Katara: (Less convinced.) Jet wouldn't do that.

Before Aang can reach the edge, Jet crosses his path from behind and snatches the glider. Aang is left wobbling precariously on the edge, and uses airbending to get himself back on stable footing.

Jet: Yes I would.

Katara: Jet, why?

Jet: Katara, you would too if you just stopped to think. Think about what the Fire Nation did to your mother, we can't let them do that to anyone else, ever again.

Katara: This isn't the answer!

Jet: I want you to understand me Katara. I thought your brother and your little friend would understand, but—

Katara: Where's Sokka?

Aang: (Shouts at Jet.) Where's Faith?!

Tears fall from Katara eyes. Jet reaches out and touches her face.

Jet: Katara.

She lowers her head, and with a shout, sends Jet flying with the water from her waterskin. She draws it back into the skin when she's done.

Aang: I need to get to the dam.

Jet: You're not going anywhere without your glider!

Jet swings the swords at Aang. Aang somersaults backward to avoid the extra reach. Aang finishes his retreat in a nearby tree.

Aang: I'm not gonna fight you, Jet.

Faith: (Back flips over Jet and faces him.) But I will!

Jet: (Stumbling back.) Where are Smellerbee and Pipsqueak?!

Faith: (Gets ready to Attack.) They are fine! They got what they deserve! Do you really think I would hurt someone?

Jet: (Anger fills his face.) You.. (He swings a sword forward trying to attack Faith, she barely dodges by using her right hand to do a backflip.)

Katara jumps in between them and he is hit by a large water strike. Katara is there; she uses water from the river to throw Jet against the trunk of the tree. Over and over she attacks; Jet is unable to cut the water and its force plasters him against the trunk. She freezes Jet from toe to neck.

Katara: Why, Jet? I can't believe I trusted you. You lied to me, you're sick and I trusted you! (A birdcall is heard. Katara and Aang are startled, and look to the valley beyond where it's coming from. Jet gives an answering birdcall.) What are you doing?

Jet: You're too late.

Katara: (Horrified.) No!

Faith: (Runs to the edge of the mountain.) I can't believe I'm going to do this!

Faith breaths in and closes her eyes, her eyes suddenly open as she lifts her hands and creates a Air Force holding the water stopping it from continuing. She starts to loose her balance but continues to hold the water there.

Minutes later she starts to sweat and pant loosing her breath control. Eventually she falls over the side of the cliff as Aang runs and catches her hand pulling her up and holding her close.

Faith: (Smiles.) That should've brought him enough time...

Katara: (Runs beside Aang and Faith.) What do you mean!?

Faith: (Sits up straight as Aang just supports her.) You'll See.

Katara: All those people... (She turns in rage back to Jet.) Jet, you monster!

Jet: This was a victory, Katara. Remember that. The Fire Nation is gone and this valley will be safe.

Sokka: It will be safe, without you. (In shock, Jet looks up to see Sokka, Appa, Melody and Momo rise from below the level of the cliff.)

Katara: Sokka!

Sokka: I warned the villagers of your plan, just in time.

Jet: What?!

Sokka: (Cuts to an illustrated set of flashback stills each being panned through.) At first they didn't believe me. The Fire Nation soldiers assumed I was a spy. But one man vouched for me, the old man you attacked. He urged them to trust me, and we got everyone out in time. (Faith stands up and runs to Appa. She Airbends herself onto Appa's head and Hugs Sokka.)

Jet: Sokka, you fool! We could've freed this valley!

Sokka: Who would be free? Everyone would be dead.

Jet: You traitor!

Sokka: No, Jet. You became the traitor when you stopped protecting innocent people.

Jet: Katara. Please, help me.

Katara: Goodbye Jet. (Sokka gives Appa's reigns a flick.)

Sokka: Yip yip. (Jet is left behind, still frozen to the tree.)

The sky they fly in is empty, save a few wispy clouds.

Aang: We thought you were going to the dam. How come you went to the town instead?

Faith: (Smiles at Sokka.) I'm happy the Village is safe. Well done Sokka.

Sokka: (Smiles At Faith, she is still sat next to him.) Thanks, Shrimpy.

Katara: Let me guess, your instincts told you that going to the Village would be best?

Sokka: (Shrugs his right shoulder.) Hey, sometimes they're right.

Aang: Um... Sokka? You know we're going the wrong way, right? (Sokka is surprised, but quickly recovers.)

Sokka: And sometimes they're wrong. (With a grin, he pulls Appa's reigns. They fly off screen before reappearing, going in the opposite direction.)

Words: 5998

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

343K 13K 25
Sam has been thrown into the world of the Avatar. After being tossed back and forth between the Gaang and her kinda-ish boyfriend, Zuko, she's now ba...
7.1K 277 9
❪ DAUGHTER OF WAR ❫ ──── ❝You must not fear. Fear is a mind killer.❞ Her heart burns with a fierce desire for the banished prince to kneel before her...
30.3K 653 53
Four years ago Toph Bei Fong made her first friend in a strange bald kid who moved away shortly after. What's going to happen when he moves back to t...
115K 3.1K 17
Lightbending. It's only the greatest element, and one girl seems to conquer it. She finds out about her past, and what she can do with that element...