Temporaryโœ”๏ธ

By loverehly

๐™€๐™‘๐™€๐™ ๐™Ž๐™„๐™‰๐˜พ๐™€ Harven Aller stole her soccer ball as children, Emery has sworn to hate him. Now, as pett... More

| Aesthetics
| One
| Three
| Four
| Five
| Six
| Seven
| Eight
| Nine
| Ten
| Eleven
| Twelve
| Thirteen
| Fourteen
| Fifteen
| Sixteen
| Seventeen
| Eighteen
| Nineteen
| Twenty
| Twenty-one
| Twenty-two
| Twenty- three
| Twenty-four
| Twenty-five
| Twenty-six
| Twenty-seven
| Twenty-eight
| Twenty-nine
| Thirty
| Thirty-one
| Thirty-two
| Thirty-three
| Thirty-four
| Thirty-five
| Thirty-six

| Two

23.6K 575 259
By loverehly

EMERY MAKES one final tug at her loose ponytail, securing it at the nape of her neck. Scrubbing her hands with the neutral scented soap, she begins brewing coffee. Customers begin trudging in, anticipating their afternoon drink.

Emery has been working at Dahlia's since sophomore year, a small book and coffee shop, which seemed like a perfect job for her. It's usually pretty quiet, and she's not a terrible baker.

Adding the last drop of cream to an expresso, she slides it across the bar, serving to a tall man. He returns cash and a grateful smile. That's her favorite part of the job, when people smile and you know they appreciated it. A small satisfaction.

The brass bell sounds. Indicating a new customer. When she glances up, she takes a double look, seeing her boyfriend. She smiles as he makes his way over, sitting at the closest table.

They exchange their normal hellos.

"I'm bummed you can't make it to the festival this year, just so you know." She juts her bottom lip out, removing croissants from the oven.

He looks down at the table, "I know, Em. But you know baseball is important. May would do the same for ballet." Ethan cocks his head, watching her work.

She pairs a white cloth with each treat, "I know. I know it's important, I'm just sulking." She gives him a wry smile, shaking her head. He nods.

"I just wanted to stop by and see you. We haven't really talked." He says, shrugging.

She does that thing with her eyebrows again, pausing her work for a split second.

"We haven't, you seem so busy, E." She says, resuming with vigor. She twist the cloth around them in knots that are a bit too tight.

"Yeah, sorry. It's just sports you know?" He looks off. She didn't know, she doesn't play sports.

"Um- of course, I understand." She smiles, brushing it off in a way she wished she could do with Harven. When it's silent, she continues taking orders and tying knots. She realizes he left, probably minutes ago.

The rest of her day is busy, but it keeps her mind going, which is ideal. Nothing to focus on but coffee beans and bread.

___________

Emery arrives home, stepping out of her car. Walking up the driveway, her step starts to slow, and take longer to lift her foot. Eventually, she's barely moving, struggling to make it to the door.

She lifts her foot to look at it this time, finding pink gooey gum across the entire bottom of her Loafers. She furrows her eyebrows, wondering how she could've missed this uncomfortably large amount of bubble gum.

She knows immediately that this wasn't a coincidence, because rock sized amounts of bubble gum don't just make its way to your driveway. She huffs, badly just wanting to get to bed.

Taking off her shoes, she glances over to the form across the lawn, which is no other than her delinquent neighbor. His broad chest is moving, obviously in laughter.

He makes his way over to the fast moving Emery, now barefoot.

She turns around, "You'll never give it up, Harven. I just got off of work, was this necessary?" She grumbles. Her eyebrows are no doubt going threw the roof.

"Oh, Emery. It's never necessary, just fun. How was your day?" He cocks his head, mouth still in a line holding back laughter.

"It was going okay, actually. You know, before you." She walks briskly, ignoring the sharp stones in her feet. She wants to break down thinking about how long it's going to take to renew her shoes. If she can even remove the sticky gum.

Emery pushes the front door open, following by slamming it shut. Her family sits at the table, looking confused as to why their daughter is flushed and barefoot.

Her parents are unaware of their rivalry, and decidedly even friends with Harven's dad, so she chooses to skip the explanation. She finds it better to avoid rants.

Taking a seat at the table, she digs into her pre-made plate. It's unusually silent.

Her father clears his throat, "Now that Everybody's here," He shoots a look towards Emery, "I wanted to announce something." He says. Emery immediately tenses, hating the nervousness in his voice.

"I got offered a job. In Brooklyn." He smiles, though it falters a bit. He holds his folded hand in front of him, awaiting their answer.

Emery was never one to ruin one's excitement, even if it cost her her true opinion. "That's great, Dad. It's far." She looks down at her half eaten casserole.

She looks to her mom, who hasn't said anything on the matter. She looks taken-aback.

"You know I didn't want to move, Grayson." She straitened up a bit, blinking in disbelief.

"It's an amazing offer, Beck. I couldn't turn it down. I don't even know if I'm taking it." He pokes his fork in, scraping the plate.

Her mom narrows her eyes, "You asked for it, didn't you? The offer." She cocks her head.

Her father appears guilty, but stands his ground nonetheless. "Yes, I did." He answers.

Her mom scoffs, pushing herself from the table, and retreating to her bedroom. Emery watches her all the way up the stairs. Her father follows almost immediately.

Emery left the table as well, with three half eaten plates and full drinks.

She couldn't help but have an understanding of her mother. Emery certainly didn't want to leave her friends and home for a little extra money. She understood her father though too, wanting to constantly better his family. He's always been an ambitious man.

She knows her mother won't give up. But, she thinks, what does that mean for us?

______________

Emery strolls into school the next day, clad in her usual sweater and khaki mom jeans. Keeping it simple avoids ever having to really decide what to wear. It made sense to her.

May walks beside her, much different. She adored colors and laces, today choosing an outfit which consisted of a dusty pink courdory skirt and white turtle neck, with lace accents.

Emery can't help but take in everything around her each morning. The people that talk much too loud, allowing you to hear their entire conversation, and the people who don't talk at all, just stand by their locker glancing at every passerby. She also knew that Ethans locker would be ten lockers down from right here, and Harven's right after that. Ethan wouldn't be there, but Harven would, with Tate.

Tate was alright. He's never given Emery a personal reason to dislike him, never really engaging with her at all. He does get himself into his fair share of brawls, but other than that, she doesn't mind him. He came over a couple of times when they were children, accompanying Harven.

Another five lockers, and somebody taps on Emery's shoulder. She jumps, not expecting it and possibly being too lost in her thoughts. Turning around, she faces the principal, which doesn't actually alarm her. He comes to her all of the time to tutor other students, to which she mostly accepts.

Mr. Wayne quietly asks if she'll come with him to his office. She nods. He always spoke in a hushed manner, being quite a shy man for a principal.

When they reach the office, Emery takes her seat in the smooth leather chair opposite him. Eyebrows furrowed, she waits for him to begin.

"We want to offer you a scholarship, Emery." He says, fingers interlocked on the wooden desk.

Woah.

Emery is rendered speechless at first. "Um-okay, uh wow. Why?" She asks, obviously flustered. She wonders if Harven got the principal in on one of his cruel jokes.

Mr. Wayne chuckles, "You are one of our hardest working students. I haven't seen anybody perform so eagerly. You're quite skilled in violin as well. We think you can go far with the scholarship." He finishes.

"Oh my god. Thank you so much, this is unreal. I won't disappoint, Mr. Wayne." She says, but still feeling there's more, she asks,

"Are there any conditions?"

"You must not pull anything. The school board doesn't easily do this type of thing, so no public stunts that show irresponsibility is all we ask." He says.

Shocked, she agrees wholeheartedly. When had Emery pulled anything in public? This scholarship was practically hers already.

Nothing could possibly ruin this day, she thought, nothing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.7K 1.1K 54
*The sequel to Across the Pond* Brooks Caldwell is the bane of my existence. Has been ever since I've known him. And, of course, luck would have it t...
7.3K 522 65
What happens when someone whom you used to call as 'bestfriend' turns out to be someone who you never thought him to become like and all this happen...
2.9K 93 7
What would you do if your boyfriend broke up with you for someone else? Even worse. She is that girl. Popular, shallow and horribly perfect. The one...
556K 13.6K 53
Oil doesn't mix with water, we were taught that when the teacher was ranting about the basic laws of science. It doesn't combine just like how light...