Welcome to New York

By feverdreamhigh

โ› It's not that I don't believe in love, I'm a strong believer of it actually, I'm just deathly terrified tha... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four

Twenty-Two

421 14 28
By feverdreamhigh

•• Taylor ••

The events of last Saturday played inside my head. The memory kept playing constantly, and for some reason I couldn't get it out of my head. It was like a regular reminder every time I wake up in the morning.

Today was currently Tuesday, and I sat on one of the stools of the kitchen island as my cup of coffee sits in front of me. I watched as the steam rises up from the cup, and I mixed my hot coffee with the use of my teaspoon. It was only six fifty in the morning, and I figured that it would be too early if I go to the flower shop at this time, so I decided to past the time with drinking coffee.

I already took a shower and I was dressed up for work. I wore a black shirt, with a thick velvety black coat to cover me up, I also wore a black mini skirt that stops at my mid-thigh, and to finish my winter outfit for today, I wore some  black stockings. And I just realized a while ago that I wore everything in black, which kind of seems like I was going to a funeral or some sort.

I took a sip from my cup of coffee, tasting the hot and bittersweet taste of the drink. I gulped it down, just in time when Selena went inside the kitchen and approached me.

"You're lucky." I heard her say, I furrowed my brows at her, confused at her short and incomplete context of her statement. She sat accross from me as I took another quick sip from my cup.

Selena probably noticed the confused look etched on my face as she goes on to explain herself more.

"I meant, you're lucky because you get to wear casual clothes for work. I have to wear  goddamn pencil skirts or slacks every time. Sometimes I just wish that our company doesn't have this pesky dress code." She added, or more like ranted.

"Rules are rules, Selena. Plus, I think that style suits you anyway." I replied and I heard her mutter something under her breath but I didn't really got to hear on what she said, and I didn't bother on asking because I didn't want to press more on the subject.

"By the way, have you heard anything from Karlie?" Selena asked again, changing the subject.

"No, not really. Why?" I asked, stirring the metal teaspoon inside my cup, watching the coffee swirl around along with its steam.

"She texted me yesterday and said that she has a surprise. Didn't you got one too?" She asks, and I quickly darted my eyes towards Selena's.

I completely forgotten about Karlie's text message two days ago, and I also forgot to reply to her message as well.

"Oh yeah, she sent me one two days ago. She sent me a message the night where I had gone out. And I completely forgot to reply to her. Did you ask what's her surprise?" I asked and I mentally scolded myself for being forgetful about it, so that's the reason why Karlie hasn't texted me these past days. I hope she isn't mad at me, though.

"I did, but she told me that we should wait and see." Selena told me and I heard her mumble something like 'typical of Karlie'.

"Oh, I just hope it's a good one. Plus, I forgot to reply to her message that night, I also hope she isn't mad at me."

"Of course she wouldn't be mad, I mean, why would she be? It's just a simple mistake." Selena said, and she's probably right. I may be overreacting a little bit and I need to calm myself down.

I took a last sip from my cup, before finishing it up and placing it near the sink, and I could see the trace of my red lipstick etched on the rim, leaving a stain.

"So Taylor, it's two weeks before Christmas. Do you have an idea on what you're going to get him this Christmas?" Selena mentioned, and frankly, she doesn't need to remind me, because I already have it planned and I'm actually going to buy my present for him later.

"I do, and I'm going to the mall to buy it later."

"Really? What is it, then? Tell me!" She urges and pressed more on the subject. Her eyes lit up and her face was written with pure excitement, to the point she almost squealed at delight.

"As much as I love you, Sel. I can't."

"What? But why not?" Her face drops into a look of disappointment and I honestly felt guilty because of that.

"It's because you might tell Max about it. And you know that Max and Harry are roommates, and if you tell Max, there's a chance he might tell Harry. So I won't risk it." I explained to her, which isn't a good explanation, to be honest.

"Are you serious, Tay? Come on, I won't tell it to Max, I promise. Plus, I don't tell him everything, you know. I didn't told him the reason why you moved here to New York." She reasoned and I honestly have no chance to stand against that.

"Alright, I'll tell you what I'm getting Harry for Christmas as long as you tell me what you're going to get for Max." I said and I'm pretty sure I heard her mutter a 'fair enough' and 'fine'.

"You go first." I added and she opened her mouth, she was probably about to protest, but she reluctantly closed it again, sighing in defeat.

"Fine, and I'm trusting you that you won't tell him, even Harry." She said, and playfully narrowed her eyes at me, and I chuckled at her actions.

"You have my word."

"I'm thinking of getting him a wristwatch. I know, it's pretty lame and boring, but I can't think of anything else." She says while adding a slight sigh in the end.

"I think Max will love it, Sel. Plus, it's not lame, I think it's classy, if I might add. And the important thing is Max will love it, and he surely will." I said, trying to cheer her up and I think it did cheer her up a little.

"Thank you for cheering me up, Tay. Now it's your turn." She said and her face instantly lightened up, waiting for what I have to say.

"Okay calm down, Sel, it's nothing exciting, really. I'm just planning on getting Harry a guitar." I replied nonchalantly and her hazel colored eyes widened a bit.

"Woah, really? Is there some significance about it? A back story, perhaps?"

"There is, actually. A few months ago, Harry was window shopping for guitars, and he told me that he always wanted one of his own so he could play by himself even when he's home. But at that time, he couldn't really afford one. So that's about it, I'm getting him a guitar." I explained to her briefly as Selena nodded her head.

"At least yours has some significance to it. And I think it's sweet of you to think about that. Harry better give you a good gift this Christmas." Selena said while I chuckled at what she just said.

"He doesn't have to, Selena. Plus, I'm just repaying him for the things he's done for me. He's been a good friend of mine, and despite the short amount of time I've known him, I'd consider him as one of my good friends, or best friends even."

"You know Tay, you've know him for two months, just like you said, but why wouldn't you date him, then? I mean, you guys have perfect chemistry together and get along pretty well. And he doesn't seem the type of person to break—" Selena started off again with the 'why not date Harry?' subject. I immediately cut her off mid-sentence, and I know that seemed rude, but I know where she's leading the topic to.

"I just can't. Sure we get along well, but don't you think two months is a bit too short for me to fully trust him? And for him to trust me?"

"If you think two months is too short, just think about me and Max. We started off our relationship even though we barely knew each other. Because that's what a relationship is about, isn't? It's about getting to know the other person better. Plus, haven't you heard of love at first sight?"

"I have, but I don't believe in it. I mean, how can you fall for someone with just a blink of an eye?" I reasoned.

Love at first does sound romantic and sweet, but I doubt that it actually exists.

"Oh God Taylor, when are you going to learn that, time doesn't matter, what matter is the connection between you two and how strong your bond is. An example of that is Harry. You two are friends for two months, and if you ask me, that's already long enough. So why not give him a chance, then?" She asks as I rested my right cheek on the palm of my hand and looked down at the faux marble countertop.

I believe I also forgot to mention that these past few months, Selena kept bringing the topic of Harry and I dating more often that I would like. And every time I'd say that my feelings for Harry are only neutral, she still says that we should start dating. Selena seems persistent about the idea, but I'm not. And I honestly don't plan on it any time soon.

"I'm not interested." I muttered boredly, because every time she brings the subject up, I'd turn it down, as usual. And it's like the same repeating cycle over and over again.

Selena was about to say something in contrast when we heard a familiar car beep. We both briefly made eye contact before standing up from our seats and went straight ahead to the small window near the door. Selena peeked from the outside, and I wondered how could she even see what's going on from outside when our window is almost completely covered with frost and snow.

"There's my ride. I've got to go, see you later at dinner." She says and clutches her purse in her left hand. She opened the door and got out of the house, scurrying towards Max's car. I saw she opened the car door and before I even knew it, Max's car was already driving away from the house and onto the busy streets of  New York.

Selena mentioned that she'll see me at dinner, indicating that she'll go home directly after work, it also simply means that she doesn't have any plans or dates with Max after her work. I strutted off towards the kitchen to wash the empty and used cup I left near the sink.

Once I was done with that, I checked the time on the clock, and it reads exactly seven twenty in the morning. I figured that it was a perfect time for me to leave and go to the shop.

I grabbed my hand bag that I placed on the couch, and checked myself in front of the mirror. Running my fingers through the ends of my blonde hair and slightly brushed my side swept bangs away from my eyes. I slung my bag over my over, making sure everything that I needed for today was inside. I opened the door and quickly got out, making sure I lock it with my key.

The cold winter air greeted me adruptly just as soon as I was on the streets, waiting for a taxi to give me a ride to the shop. Harry initially offered me to give me a ride to the shop, because he reasoned that our workplace was right next to each other, literally. But I declined and said that I don't want to bother him and be a burden for him.

The cold wind gushed harder and colder, luckily I wore stockings today so my legs won't shiver that badly.

A saw a taxi coming towards to my direction, I hailed it and the yellow vehicle stopped right in front of me. I briskly got inside and it was definitely a lot warmer inside the taxi rather than outside on the streets.

I told the driver to where I was heading and he gave me a short nod before driving away from the house and towards the street address I gave him.

I leaned back and watched the streets we were passing by, the snow covered ground and the frosty trees completed the scene. It was like I was in some sort of winter wonderland.

The driver stopped the cab exactly in front of the flower shop, I gave him the amount he was asking for and gave him a little tip which he thanked me for.

I opened the car door and got outside from the cab, and hurriedly went towards to the door of the shop so I can unlock it with the use of my key.

Fumbling with my things I have in my bag, I successfully found the right key I was looking for. I inserted the key inside the lock and turned it opened.

I got inside and closed the door promptly before the icy breeze takes over the warmth of the shop. I went towards to the back of the counter, grabbing my neatly folded apron on where I usually store it. I rested my bag under the counter, and tied my apron on my back. I pinned my nametag on the side of my apron and grabbed a clean cloth.  I usually do some cleaning up around the shop first thing in the morning, it's like it had become a routine for me to do.

I cleaned up a few vases that were displayed so that when customers comes in, at least they'd look presentable. After I did a bit of cleaning, I stored the cloth away and grabbed a spray bottle, that was half filled with water, I sprayed some water on the pink and purple colored petunias, including some of the red and white carnations.

I was about to water the vibrant yellow daffodils when I heard the door open from the entrance. I checked the time on the clock, and it's almost seven forty. We usually open at eight in the morning, plus not even a single customer comes into the shop this early and  at this time of the morning. But I guess it wouldn't hurt either way.

"Good morning, how may I help you?" I chirped even though I still couldn't see who was the customer. Because I was still in the back of the shop. I quickly set the spray bottle aside so I could serve the customer that just walked in.

I walked towards the front to see the customer,  and my heart beat has somehow picked up its pace when I saw his familiar green eyes and his signature dimples popping at the corners of his lips.

"Good morning to you too, I could tell that the name of the shop suits you well." He says as I tried to hide my burning and reddening cheeks from him by pretending to arrange the set of tulips beside me.

"I didn't expect you to come here this early in a flower shop. So what can I do for you today?" I asked and faced him once I felt that my cheeks had cooled down and I was sure that they weren't in a shade of red anymore.

"Nothing really. I just stopped by to see if you've arrived, because I hadn't heard from you this morning." He reasoned as I walked back to the counter, the soles of my heels making a clicking sound as it hits the shiny painted wooden floor.

"And now I've checked up on you, I guess I'll be heading on my way to the cafe."

"Oh wait just a minute." I called him before he was about to open the door and head out. He turned to look at me. I plucked a green hydrangea beside me as Harry walked towards me with a confused look.

I gave him the freshly hydrangea I just plucked out, he gently took it from my hand, with confusion still written on his face.

"What does this mean? And why are you also giving me this?"

"I think it'll be better if you look up on what it means, and I just gave it to you because I feel like it." I replied and he chuckled at my statement.

"Why thank you. But can I ask why green?"

"It's because it's my favorite flower from the shop, and it also matches your eyes." I said, stating the obvious and I saw his cheeks slightly went from a tinge of pink.

"Thank you for this, Taylor. But I better get going, they might be looking for me. I'll see you soon, yeah?"

"Yeah." I answered.

Harry inserted the hydrangea inside his small coat pocket at the upper left of his shirt. He gave me a wave before leaving the shop with a smile, and a hydrangea in his shirt pocket as well.

I returned back to where and what I was doing. I grabbed the spray bottle on where I had left it earlier, and I smiled unintentionally, just like an idiot. I smiled at what had just happened earlier, and at how I gave him the green hydrangea.

And I wasn't lying when I said those were my favorite kind of flowers out of all the beautiful flowers that were displayed in here.

I honestly don't know why it's my favorite, it's just because there's this kind of aura that caught me and made me take a liking to it.

And I suppose that wasn't the only reason why it's my favorite. I guess it has something to do with the British lad that has matching green eyes with the hydrangea.

And a part of me tells me that was mostly the reason on why it's my favorite flower.

I wrapped up the white chrysanthemums and yellow anemones in a usual flower wrapping paper. I delicately arranged the flowers to make it look pleasant and balanced with its color.

After arranging the flowers into place, I tied it all up with a golden glittery sheer ribbon, tying it together in a pull up bow.

"That'll be thirty dollars, sir." I told the man in front of me.

He looked like he was in his late twenties or so. His auburn hair was perfectly gelled to his left, and his blue eyes were almost in the same shade as mine, or probably close to that.

He reluctantly fished out a couple of dollars scrunched up in his pocket, and counted it precisely to make sure he was giving the exact amount.

He handed me the exact amount I told him and I placed the money in the cashier and did some usual work with it.

"Here's your bouquet, sir. Come back soon!"

"Ah, thank you. I'm sure my partner will love the work that you did. It's amazing, and I'll come back soon." He says and I beamed at him.

He walked to the exit, with the bouquet I made for him gripped tightly in his left hand. He opened the door and got exited the shop, the frigid air greeting him while we walked down the street, and dissappearing into my view.

I went back to what I was doing earlier before the customer arrived. I continued cutting the long stems of the flowers, and snipping the extra wilted leaves from the stem.

As I was cutting off the stem of some of the roses, the front door opened once again. I looked up, expecting it to be another customer, but I was proven wrong when I saw Lindsay walking inside the shop and hanging her coat on the rack.

"Hi, Taylor. An exciting day, I hope?"

"It is, we had about twenty customers already. It's a productive day." I replied and went back to what I was doing, cutting off the tulips next.

"That's good to hear, we had twenty customers, that's a record breaking." Lindsay joked while I chuckled, still keeping my eyes on the stems I'm snipping off.

"Oh, Taylor, you can have your break now. I'll manage the shop once you get back." Lindsay says. I kept away the flowers I was cleaning up and placed them on the side. I washed my hands at the back door where a sink and a toilet was located.

Once I was done and dried my hands with a towel, I untied my apron and folded it neatly and placed it away as I grabbed my bag and slung it over my arm.

I was about to head out towards the door, when I heard and felt my phone vibrate from my bag. I quickly got it out from my bag and turned on my phone to see what was the notification I got.

I turned it on to see one text message, and it was from Harry. And his text message read,

Are you coming to the cafe for lunch? Lunch is on me btw :)

I was about to reply to him and tell him yes, until I realized that I needed to go to the mall to buy the guitar for him. And the reason why I need to go buy it today, was because I believe that they have a holiday sale for it. Although I wasn't completely sure, because I just saw it through my newsfeed that they were having a sale for their instruments, and I honestly don't know until when their sales last. I decided to reply to him and tell him that I wouldn't be able to have lunch with him.

Sorry Harry, I need to do something a bit urgent.  :((  But maybe next time? Hope it's okay with you.

And it wasn't a second later after I replied and hit the send button, he already composed a reply.

Sure, I don't mind. I hope it isn't bad. And yeah, maybe next time. Stay safe, x.

He replied, and he has no idea that what I'm about to do isn't really what he thinks, in fact, it's the complete opposite.

I kept my phone back in my bag and told Lindsay I'll be heading out, I heard her mumble an 'okay' before I opened the door and made my way through the streets of New York.

"Hello, welcome to Wesley's Music Shop! I'm Evelyn, how may I help you?" A cheery voice greeted me once I entered and walked in the shop.

The shop has almost all kind of instruments that I could think of, but it's clear to say from the appearance that they mostly specialize in guitars. Starting from electric guitars, to bass and to acoustic guitars. The various types of guitars were hanged on the grey painted brick walls. I turned to the the Evelyn who just welcomed me warmly. She looks about as the same age as me, with hazelnut colored hair and slightly tanned skin.

"Oh hi, um, I was interested in buying the guitar you had displayed in front. And I also heard you have a holiday sale going on, if I'm not mistaken."

"I'm sorry miss, the sale ended a day ago. And also, the sale only applies to our set of drums, nothing else." She informs me and I nodded my head.

She approaches to my direction and she led the way to the guitar Harry wanted a few months back.

"I'll be taking that one, Evelyn." I said kindly.

"All right, but will it be okay if you come back later to the shop? It's because we need to varnish it and tune it before we can give it to you."

"Yes, of course. It's not a problem, I'll come back here at around five thirty or so."

"Perfect."

Evelyn also added that I needed to pay on the spot before I can get the guitar. I paid for the full price, which was exactly three hundred and twenty dollars. Evelyn told me that the guitar would be ready when I come back, I thanked her and I left the shop with a small smile etched on my face.

I went to find a nearby fast food store and ordered my lunch.

I sat on a table and ate quietly, and I made sure I finished my lunch before my break time ends.

I went back directly to the mall after my shift ends at the flower shop.

Lindsay left before five thirty, and I locked up the shop myself.

I didn't see Harry for the whole day after he visited the shop earlier today. I contemplated whether or not if I should send him a text message, but I figured he'd be busy in the cafe.

When I went back to the music shop, Evelyn didn't lie when she said that the guitar would be ready after I go and pick it up. She carefully placed it in a black guitar case, and I thanked Evelyn and she gave me a bright smile once I've left the music shop, a brand new guitar clutched in my left hand.

And I'm now currently in a taxi riding on my home. I glanced at the guitar beside me, and wondered if Harry will like it. I just hope he appreciates it as much as I do.

And Selena also sent me a text message a while ago saying that she'll be home at around six or maybe a quarter to six. I checked the time on my phone, and it reads exactly five-fifty.

The taxi driver announced that we've arrived at our destination. I paid him and added him a little  tip. I thanked him before getting out of the cab, grabbing the guitar along with me and I closed the car door of the taxi. I walked straight ahead to the house, fumbling with for my keys.

I inserted the key once I've found it and unlocked the door. I quickly got inside before any snow comes inside the house.

I shut the door behind me, the sound echoing throughout the whole empty house. I guess Selena isn't home yet.

I changed my shoes into some slippers and went upstairs to my room so I could place the guitar I bought for Harry safely.

I kept the guitar in my closet, making sure it'll be safe and it'll still be in good condition. I quickly changed my work clothes after that into a shirt and some sweats.

I was about to go to the library so I could pass my time there when I heard someone knocking on the door.

I furrowed my brows in confusion, because I knew it couldn't possibly be Selena. If it was her, she would just enter the house, and she has her own key. And I honestly doubt it's Harry, I figured he's probably still in his work shift, and if it was Harry, he'd send me a text message that he'll come over.

The knocking got louder until it was echoing back in forth through the house. I went downstairs as the knocking continued.

I checked the window first to see who it was, but unfortunately, the window was covered with frost and I couldn't see through it. Plus, Selena doesn't have a peep hole in her door either.

Sighing with confusion, I decided to finally open the door to see who was knocking and making a racket.

I opened the door slowly, and I couldn't believe my eyes who was standing in front of me right now. It was too surreal almost.

"Karlie?" I asked, almost in a gasp as she smiled wildly at me.

"Surprise!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.3K 364 16
*Taylor swift and Harry Styles both have bad reputations. They've been strictly warned to stay away from eachother. She's also sworn to never live ag...
28.7K 1.9K 41
After moving on from their past, two people from different worlds slowly fall in love unexpectedly. Taylor, who used to lead an ordinary life in Penn...
5.1K 323 34
A terminally ill woman finds herself at the breaking point, and wishes for the end of the world. In answer, a mysterious man who acts as a messenger...
9.7K 454 24
I've been spending the last eight months thinking all love ever does is break, and burn, and end...but on a Wednesday, in a cafรฉ, I watched it begin...