Acumen: Riddling Life

By elmirafh

✳️ Featured on Wattpad's official @generalfiction profile ❝I haven't lived for twenty-one years!❞ Eleanor Eva... More

Author's note (+ Achievements)
1. The day before graduation
2. Before The Party
3. The Party
4. After The Party
Home (5)
The dinner (6)
Planning and Packing (7)
Geneva, Switzerland (8)
Before the lake (9)
Deal (10)
Alone (11)
Late fall of Junior year high school [pt2](13)
Dazed (14)
Rooftop talks (15)
Explanations (16)
Acumen? (17)
Plans (18)
Theodor [pt1](19)
Theodor [pt2](20)
Why are you here! (21)
Crazy (22)
23. Zurich, Switzerland
24. Brussels, Belgium
25. Bruges, Belgium
26. Amsterdam, Netherlands
27. Young and Stupid [Adrien's POV]
28. Red Light District
29. The truths and answers
30. Free
31. Guilt [Adrien's POV]
32. I'm sorry
33. Outcast
34. Music
35. Berlin, Germany
36. Prague, Czech republic
37. Budapest, Hungary
38. Bucharest, Romania
39. Sofia, Bulgari
40. Athens, Greece
41. Florence, Italy
42. Hit and Run
43. Paris, France
44. Badass nerd
45. City of Love
(46)Happiness
(47)Barcelona beaches, Spain
(48)Smiles & friendships
(49)Drown
(50)The Search [Adrien's POV]
(51) Old fears [Adrien's POV]
(52) Pain and lost
(53)Hurt [Adrien's POV]

Late fall of Junior year high school [pt1](12)

109 34 126
By elmirafh

I walk into the counselors' room, he looks up from the paper in his hand and smiles at me. "Eleanor! Sit," he says with a warm smile.

I slide off my bag and sit across him. I push my glasses up, and try to stop my leg from bouncing.

"We have decided it's about time to bring a few tutors to guide you in this path, so you might reach its highest levels," he pauses and smiles at me.

I feel my heart bursting out of my chest out of excitement. I nervously fiddle with my fingers but a smile breaks through my face.

"But are you sure you can handle Astronomy Olympiad along with your National academic championship and Academic Decathlon?" He asks with genuine concern.

"I think I can," I say and my smile widens.

I have waited for this moment for more than a year now, and it's finally happening.

"I need your parents' signature on this paper, it's a notice, informing them about the classes, their schedules, and everything else." He says and hands me the paper in his hand.

I take it and scan it for a moment, then nod my head.

"Good luck," he says.

I stand up, my smile still wide and I nod my head, "Thank you," I say and walk out of his room.

Clutching the paper tightly in my hand I walk out of the office and into the hallways.

I check my watch as I walk through the empty hallways, deciding to make my way to the library, Jace is probably there if not with Avery.

As I take another turn, I'm face to face with Adrien and his gang, all ten of them. They are talking and laughing, I hope they don't notice me, even Avery is there but Jace is not in sight... maybe he's in the library already.

Sophia's leaning on Adrien giggling at something, and that's when she turns and her steel blue eyes land on me as I was trying to pass the hallway, so much for going unnoticed.

Her laughter dies and Adrien follows her eyes. His eyes land on me, the discussion dies in their group and now they are all staring at me.

I fix my gaze on the ground and try to hurry away but before I get a step away Will calls me as he starts walking towards me.

"You got us thinking you're getting suspended for being a freak," he spats it at my face. They all start laughing.

"Look at you! Scurrying off like a rat," Sophia says as she twirls a lock of golden hair around her finger.

I keep my gaze on the ground, refusing to look up at any of them.

"What's that?" Will asks, reaching his hand out to snatch the paper out of my hand.

I pull the paper away before his fingers reach it. I swallow hard and look up to him, "That's none of your business," I say, but I can I feel every single cell in my body trembling.

He scoffs and looks back to Adrien, who is leaning to one of the lockers, his admiral blue jacket's sleeves rolled up, his matching tie hanging loosely around the collar of his white button-up shirt, watching us intently, his leg propped up backward, occasionally tapping on the locker he has put his foot on.

Will looks back at me, annoyance radiating off of him.

"Looks like Eleotard's forgetting who she's talking to," Will says.

"Need to be reminded?" James says with a smirk as he pushes himself up from the locker he was leaning to and makes his way to me.

I take a step back,  but by then James is standing next to me. Will reaches for the notice in my hand again and before I can pull away, James wraps his fingers around my wrist, his grip tightening as he pulls my hand up. Will takes the piece of paper out of my hand.

Will's eyes scan the paper, he frowns. "The fuck is this?" He asks, looking at James. He lets go of my wrist, leaving red marks behind.

He reads the paper and then looks back at Adrien.

Adrien rolls his eyes, pushes himself off the locker and walks over, looking bored and annoyed.

He stands next to them, and snatches the paper out of James's hand, he flicks his wrist and they both take a few steps back.

Oh no.

His eyes scan it, I notice he rereads the paper a few times and by the time he's done, he looks at me, shooting daggers with his eyes at me.

"Can I have it back?" I try my best to sound strong.

He frowns and glances at the paper and then fixes his burning gaze on me.

"Looks important," he muses. "You sound desperate enough for it," he adds, then takes a step back, "beg,"

I blink a few times, what the hell? They all start snickering, Avery included.

"Can I please have it?" I say and reach my hand out to take it back, he clicks his tongue and shakes his head, narrowing his eyes.

"Beg properly," he says and then a smirk crawls to his face. "On your knees,"

I feel my throat tightening, a pair of hands wrapping itself around my heart and squeezing it.

I know he won't give it to me in any other way... but I'm not going on my knees for that.

"Looks like it's not that important then," he says and then takes out a lighter from his pocket, "I guess you wouldn't mind if I..." he trails down as he pulls the lid away, a small flame flickers to life and starts moving it under my paper.

"No!" I blurt out panicking.

I can't lose it! The councilor just gave it to me, then I won't look serious to him and they might change their mind, plus it would be pretty embarrassing to go back and ask for a copy.

"Thought so," he says, sounding pleased as he pulls back the lid of the lighter. "Do I need to repeat myself... Eleotard?"

I feel my hands trembling, my lip quivering, as I glare at him. He arches his eyebrow, his thumb playing on the lid, a warning. I look down, fixing my gaze on the floor.

I slowly go on my knees and hear everyone laugh, including Avery, Will snickers something and James has already his phone out, filming everything.

I swallow hard.

"I'm waiting," Adrien says with annoyance as he shifts his weight from one leg to the other.

"Can I please have it back?" I slowly say, fisting my hands on either side of me, my nails digging into my palms.

"I didn't hear you," he says, another burst of laughter erupts.

"Can I please have it back?" I say louder, but my voice trembles in the end.

"Better," he says and looks down at me, "Since you're begging, and I'm very merciful," he says and throws the paper on the ground in front of me.

I swallow the lump forming in my throat and pick the paper up.

I slowly get to my feet, hearing footsteps, and then Mr. Brown comes into view. He suspiciously looks at everyone. "Mr. Brown," Adrien drawls with a lopsided smile, "Great to see you here, is there anything we can help with?"

Mr. Brown fixes his narrowed eyes on Adrien, glances at me, and back at Adrien he says, "Is everything alright?" and then looks back at me again, "Eleanor?"

I feel Avery's glare on me, when I look at her, she has a threatening look on her face, as if warning me not to say anything out of place. "Yes," I mutter and he nods his head and with a final look walks away.

Waiting that he's far enough from us, Adrien takes a step towards me. His fingers wrap around my upper arm, just above my elbow, his grip firm and tight.

He leans down, his mouth next to my ear and whispers, "I don't fucking care how you'll be managing this, but if you happen to get in the way of our team winning in Academic championship and the Decathlon, I'll make sure every single day in your miserable life gets worse than living through hell." With that, he lets go of my hand and takes a step back. His eyes ablaze, showing he meant everything he said, not that I was second-guessing.

I take a step back and look anywhere but him, with a small nod I hurry out of there and make my way to the library.

I sit down and try to calm my ragged breathing, trying my best not to think about what just happened.

I should get used to it, I've been living through this from fourth grade but it still hurts. I hug myself tightly.

Then my eyes land on the notice, USAAAO written in bold letters. Warmth blooms in my heart, thinking that I'll officially be getting ready for it. I trace the words with my finger, all the bad feelings getting lost in the void. A small smile cracks on my lips.

I can't wait to start studying Astronomy! I took its course the previous year and I became first... I might even be able to get a gold medal in it.

"Ellie!" Jace's voice draws my attention to himself, I look up to see he's taking off his navy blue jacket and then sits next to me with a broad smile. I smile back. "What's up?" He asks as he leans down and opens his bag to take out a book and pen.

He puts them on the desk and then his eyes land on the paper. "What's that?" He asks and I give it to him, my smile widening with every passing second.

"Holy shit!" He mutters as he pushes his hand through his brown hair.

"It has a few rounds, if I manage to score each high enough and get a gold medal, I'll be heading for the international round."

"Wow!" He says then looks at me, "So where should we celebrate when you come back with gold?" He asks and I start giggling.

"It's really hard you know... I mean I might even not get to the summer round." I say and fiddle with my fingers.

"Not for the Eleanor I know!" He says, his sapphire blue eyes sparkling under the fluorescent light, his excitement making me smile at him. "Did something happened before you came here?" He suddenly asks, his tone and expression on his face changing immediately. I shake my head no but he narrows his eyes, suspiciously taking in my face. "Adi did something?" He tries to make it sound like a question but it still comes off as a statement.

I open my mouth to decline, I don't want to ruin two brothers' relationship because of myself, but he shakes his head, "I saw you when you came in here, don't lie to me Ellie,"

"It was nothing, really," I say and I hope I sound convincing.

He sighs and takes my hand in his, "I'm sorry, for whatever my brother said to you," he says and I try to say something but he shakes his head, "I'll talk to him again, okay? After he comes from his band practice, I'll make sure he won't do it again."

"You don't have to do that," I protest but he shakes his head.

"I want to do that, you've got a lot going on already, I don't want Adi making things harder for you... after all I have to make sure you're getting the medal if I want to be a part of the celebration," he quirks his eyebrows and I giggle at him. He smiles at me, the corners of his eyes crinkling.

"How are the preparations for SAT going?" I ask as I put the paper away, he shrugs.

"I'm still pretty sure next fall I'm in Harvard," he answers and I smile.

It's hard to imagine what next year high school would be like for me, especially with Jace off to college, but it's too early to think about that.

"Can I ask you something?" He says making me look up from the books and textbooks I've just placed on the desk.

I nod and he continues, "Did Avery tell you anything about us?" I frown, looking confusedly at him, he heaves a sigh, "She's been acting weird... she keeps picking up fights with me and constantly complaints about everything..." he trails down.

"I mean you should spend more time with her... you guys are dating after all," I say.

Actually, Avery walked into my room last night, calling me a slut and couple of other names for spending too much time with her boyfriend, but then Jaceon and I are only friends... he's my only friend, the only person who cares enough to talk to me. The only person who sees me.

He leans back into his chair, "It's not working out... she's cool and all but she's not my type," he says and crosses his arms in front of his chest.

"You guys just need to talk and work out your differences instead of ignoring each other," I point out, not knowing what else to say.

He nods his head and then looks at me, I offer a small smile to him which he gladly returns.

+++

((Okay, this was a dramatic yet vital chapter :)) I had to show the teenage bullying Adrien (because everyone is going team Adrien! And I had to this because I'm evil =))))) and of course we get to see Jace for the first time! What do you think about Jace? And Of course Adrien? Don't forget to vote and tell me what you think about this chapter overall?))

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

146K 15.2K 18
[Sequel of 'MY SUBCONSCIOUS DESIRE'] Once again, a tale of desire and respect Once again, a tale of Rathod and family bond A multi-couple story. F...
397K 41.1K 22
انا العاصفة الحمراء ألتي تراهن وتربح انا القوة العظيمة الذي سوف تنهك كُل الارواح الجنون والتلاعب بحد ذاته هنا أستطيع ان اتلاعب بعقلك حَد الجنون امر...
84.2K 3.5K 48
The MC may seem cringey in the first few chapters, but please give this story a chance. This story is an experiment, so I don't know how well it wil...
2.5M 187K 71
RATHOD In a broken family, every person suffers from his insecurities and guilt. Successful in every field but a big failure when it comes to emotio...