Pulled by Roses- A War of the...

By firebolt36

Lady Kathryn, better known as Katy, lived a simple life in Ireland. That is until her father was accused of t... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three

Chapter Twenty

851 30 7
By firebolt36

Winter, 1470

Lizzie clung to Katy's hand walking through Westminster Palace. As she got older, her hair became redder and it looked as if she was of relation to Katy. Lizzie had now become known as a troublemaker. She was headstrong and stubborn, but extremely lovable. The young princess wanted nothing more than be exactly like her favorite lady and she copied everything Katy did. Katy beamed while listening to Lizzie humming with each step.

"Lady Kathryn?" She questioned, jumping from one foot to another.

"Yes Princess?"

"When did you know you loved Uncle Richard?" Katy stopped in her track and knelt down to the small girl. She swayed to and fro, waiting patiently for Katy's answer.

"May I ask you a question first?" Lizzie giggled and nodded. "Why do you have so many questions regarding Uncle Richard and myself?" Katy lightly pressed on Lizzie's nose.

"You smile when you see him. I should like to love someone."

"You are to marry the Duke of Bedford, I hear he is a nice boy." Katy commented, "And you may learn to love him." Katy simply could not tell her marriage for love hardly happened. Even her own marriage had benefits for Richard and Edward.

"Uncle Richard!" Lizzie ran towards him. Richard laughed and picked up his niece, spinning her round. Lizzie whispered in his ear and he looked at Katy, smirking. Katy strolled towards them, taking Richard's extended arm.

"When did you know you loved me?" He questioned as Lizzie giggled. "You must've known before I fell from Gawain."

"During our time at Sudeley," Katy teased. "That is where I began to love you."

"That long? I knew when you rode with me to Sudeley." Katy looked at him from the side, while he flashed a quick smile. "When others thought you were running away."

"Lady Kathryn would never leave us," Lizzie called, squirming in Richard's arms. Richard paused and lightly placed Lizzie on the ground.

"Was Lady Kathryn returning you to your mother?" Lizzie nodded and took Katy's hand again. "We best get you to her in a timely manner." Lizzie skipped with every step Katy took, humming her song again. Katy's heart skipped a beat in tune with the young princess, and she looked at Richard.

"I want one," she whispered so only he could hear. He raised his eyebrows and grinned, trying to hold back laughter.

"Only one?" He teased. "I should hope we have more."

"I will be happy with how ever many God blesses me with," Katy spoke quietly.

"Mama!" Lizzie ran to her mother. Elizabeth picked her up and rested her on her hip. "We went to the stables again."

"And how are the horses?" Elizabeth questioned excitedly for my daughter. Lizzie spoke quietly to her mother and Elizabeth couldn't help but smile.

"Your Grace," Katy lowered herself and took her place next to Anne Lovell. Richard bowed and departed.

"He is happy with her," Anne commented quietly to Isabel. "You can see it plainly."

"You were meant to marry him, not her," Isabel snapped back.

"I do not believe she hates us. Perhaps we may even-"

"I do not plan on being her friend. We were passed over. First by the Queen and her family, and now by an Irish newcomer. I was married without the King's permission as a sign of open rebellion. We will never have what the Queen has and what Katy will get, don't you see that? Richard looks at her as if she were the only women in the world," Isabel scolded. Katy looked to Anne Lovell, who remained still. In that moment, everything was put together. Isabel and Anne were no more than pawns in their father's game. Pieces to be given away in the hopes of forcing the King away from from his own protection. She felt for the girls. Anne had spent her childhood vying for Richard's attention, and Katy had stolen them rather quickly. Isabel was blind-sighted by her marriage to George, not having one for love as she thought, as every girl hopes for. Katy did not dare say a word, as she was not supposed to know of this conversation.

Katy walked in line, now understanding why Isabel had been hostile to her. She was ashamed of her own behavior, acting as if they did not exist. None of this was their fault. Isabel and Anne had not ordered Edward to be held, the Queen's family murdered, or Thomas' imprisonment. She felt she must speak to them, but did not know how without the Queen finding out. Elizabeth would view Katy's attempt to reconcile as a betrayal. Her heart was torn between those she had harmed and ones who expected her support.

"Lady Kathryn?" Katy snapped her head forward looking into the Queen's bright eyes.

"Yes, Mi'Lady?"

"You seem troubled," Elizabeth called sitting in a large chair. Katy said nothing but noticed Anne and Isabel shying away from the group, as they normally do. Katy forced a smile.

"Simply thinking, Mi'Lady. I apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused. Is there anything I can help you with?"

"Does the Duke of Gloucester preoccupy your thoughts?"

"His Grace has been extremely kind to me. He has invited me for a ride, though I am unsure if I should join him." It was easier for Katy to lie in this moment and she forced another smile. The other ladies giggled, except for Anne and Isabel. Anne looked solemnly at the ground and Isabel rested her hand on her stomach, looking coldly at Katy.

"Why you must! You are excused from service today."

"Thank you, your Grace." Katy quickly left the chambers and walked quickly toward Richard's chambers. She prayed he may be there, as she did not know where to look for him. Her hand hurt as she banged and she sighed.

"He is not here. I sent him and George on a hunt, to restore their friendship."

"Your Grace," Katy curtseyed to Edward. "I am sorry."

"Is there something I may be able to help you with?" Edward flashed a large grin at the young lady.

"I have lied to your wife," she shook her head. "I told her your brother had invited me for a ride and that was why I was preoccupied. Truthfully, I was looking for him to maintain my lie." Edward looked over her shoulder and his surroundings. He moved past her, "I am not a great lady to her Grace," Katy whispered.

"Come with me." Katy's heart sank as Edward moved back toward Elizabeth's chamber. She sulked and followed him, her heart beating quicker. She would surely be chastised for this, and needed to confess her sin. Edward continued walking, but passed the Queen's chambers without sending Katy in. "You may walk with me, Lady Kathryn." Katy scurried to his side and looked at him confused.

"I do not understand, your Grace."

"Am I a suitable substitute for my brother?" He questioned, smiling at her. "If you wish to remove yourself from court, you need only ask." Relief washed over her and Edward quickly had his stallion and Morgan brought out. His white coat shone in the winter day, in contrast to Morgan's roan. Katy adjusted her thick cloak as she mounted Morgan.

Katy followed closely behind as Edward maneuvered through the thick trees. The ground crunched beneath the cantering horses. Katy could not help but laugh and Edward joined in. They were the only two people in the forest and rode until there was an open field. Morgan's warm breath materialized in the cold air as Katy stopped and looked over the frost covered ground.

"You are quite the horsewomen," Edward commented, stopping next to her. "What has preoccupied you?" He dug.

"May I speak freely?" Edward nodded, looking into Katy's eyes. "How do you find it easy to forgive Lord Clarence and Warwick?" Edward was taken aback by the question. "I do not question your reasoning, but I am having a difficult time doing it myself. Lord Clarence does not believe in my maidenhood and regularly discusses his beliefs before others. And Lord Warwick has not found me in his favor." Edward said nothing and looked over the field. "I confess, I am having the hardest time with Lady Isabel and Lady Anne. I do not believe they had any prior knowledge and simply did as they were told."

"Would you marry my enemy, Katy?" Katy shook her head no, unsure what Edward would ask of her next. "Why?"

"You have pardoned my father. My family would have been nothing without your kindness and mercy."

"Do you remember what I asked of you?"

"To become a ward of your court. Prepare to marry an Irish lord, one loyal to you." Edward nodded.

"George was the favorite and he knew that. He and Thomas had discussed the proposal in detail. Truthfully, I was going to approve it that Christmas season. Until I spoke with you, and saw how Richard had matured." Katy looked at the ground, knowing she did not remember how she discussed Richard. "You spoke with such passion about the accident, and the anger you had for him. You vented your frustrations with how cocky he had become, even facing death." Edward paused and chuckled, "And then you told me how he had told you he loved you, and you did not say it back because of your duty. There have been many times you could've gone back to your family and done as you wanted, but you have stayed loyal to me." Edward paused and looked Katy in the eye, "If your family had asked for you to return, would you have?"

"No. We could've been tried with treason," Katy whispered.

"And there lies the difference between you and Isabel. You do not do as you are told, you do as you think is right. It is fairly impressive."

"How should I act towards them? Richard refuses to look in their direction and the Queen puts me ahead of them, though I should not be."

"I cannot answer that." Katy closed her eyes and stroked Morgan's neck. "You could wait till after her confinement to discuss this matter. I have given my blessing for them to return to Middleham in preparation for the birth of George's child. It may give Richard time to forgive George."

"Perhaps that would be best." Katy laughed gently. "I must admit, my head is much more level, your Grace." Morgan's ears stood tall and she toss her head, listening to her surroundings. She stomped her foot and huffed loudly.

"Is she alright?" Edward commented observing Morgan's behavior.

"Your brothers are near. She is rather fond of Richard's stallion and likes to be with him. This is a normal occurrence for me."

"And you have no trouble with her?" Katy shook her head and placed her hand on Morgan's neck. "I should like to see how you handle her." Katy lowered her head and tapped Morgan lightly. She moved quickly from a trot to a canter in the field. Even this far away, she watched Edward beam with admiration.

"Come on," Katy whispered as Morgan's speed increased. The frigid air rushed through her hair and stung her face. Katy could not help but smile, looking back at her King. Morgan climbed the small hill, back to him.

"If you were a man, I would've made you a commander in my army. She has never been an easy mare, yet gives you no disagreements." Katy smiled and looked over the field.

"She is extremely pleasant," Katy whispered as George rode out of the forest.

"Come now, Katy. We must return you," Edward called riding towards the palace. Katy turned to follow him, looking briefly over her shoulder to Richard emerging behind her. She rode quietly, listening to the approaching hoofbeats.

"Hello, brother!" Edward called, not looking back. George quickly rode with Edward, discussing the hunt and resolution him and Richard had reached. Katy looked forward, pretending not to notice the black horse approaching.

"I went looking for you," Katy playfully called. Richard's hand snatched her reins and he laughed.

"And now you have found me!"

"You must stop doing that to me," Katy laughed, trying to have him release his hand.

"You must learn not to let me." Richard waited til Edward and George were out of earshot, "And why were you looking for me?" He asked rather seriously. Katy smiled at his overt protection, contrast to his contrasty cocky demeanor.

"You need not trouble yourself. Your brother has given me sound advice." She and Richard rode together, as Katy explained her dilemma and how she used him to cover her occupied nature. Richard made light of the situation, laughing and teasing Katy.

"I confess, I do not believe George and I will go back to the way it was after this betrayal," Richard admitted. His own uncertainty gave Katy small hope.

"We must work together then. You with George, and I will show kindness to the Neville girls. Once your nephew is born. I could not forgive myself by putting Isabel under such stress currently."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

202K 4.3K 33
Rosemary Parker could never work out what Thomas Shelby saw in her and the fact that they had managed to stay together for four years still baffled h...
3.2K 202 27
When the Avengers devised a plan to infiltrate HYDRA's base and capture the Winter Soldier, they were missing one crucial part of their mission. Elys...
83.7K 10.6K 26
This is the sequel of RRR, so new readers please read it before starting this book. Agneya, the soon to be crown prince of Rakshatra, was bounded by...
153K 4.4K 49
*ON HOLD* Cora Crawley had another brother. Her brother married and had a beautiful daughter named Evelyn Levinson. When a mysterious fire burns the...