Pulled by Roses- A War of the...

By firebolt36

Lady Kathryn, better known as Katy, lived a simple life in Ireland. That is until her father was accused of t... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three

Chapter Nineteen

807 30 3
By firebolt36

December, 1469

Katy and Anne huddled around the high window watching carefully as Lord Warwick and George entered into the courtyard. It had been about a year since Katy had laid eyes on George. He looked more disheveled than she remembered, though she attributed this to his betrayal of his brothers. Lord Warwick, however, looked exactly as she remembered. His dark hair had not changed, and his dark eyes shot wildly around the open space. The two men showed obvious signs of distrust, though they tried to mask it with confidence and familiarity.

"Shouldn't you both be assisting the Queen?"

"Sh, husband. We have been dismissed until the feast preparation begins," Anne whispered as the carriage slowly pulled in. "The Queen wishes to speak with the Countess, Duchess, and Lady Anne alone," Anne advised. Francis looked over their shoulders as the carriage opened. Lord Warwick assisted his wife and Anne out first. Anne had changed tremendously, now much taller and sporting curvature in her waist. Warwick briefly hugged Edward. Katy fumed at the sight of them pretending nothing had happened. As if they had not tried to depose Edward and crown George while murdering the Queen's family to further their interests. The least offensive crime committed was her own brother's capture, yet that was the one that made her most angry.

"It is a crime that you both should walk behind them," Francis added as George assisted Isabel from the carriage. "You have done your duties."

"We will follow the given order. She is a duchess now, and Anne out ranks Katy and I even as a Lady." Katy gasped at the sight of her. Her normally slim figure was now rounded and plump, though her belly only protruded slightly.

"Isabel is with child?" Katy questioned shocked. Anne's mouth sat agape.

"She has not written to me in months," Anne whispered, watching her cousin cradle her stomach. George forced a smile to Edward, though Richard was no where to be seen.

"Where is he?" Katy questioned quietly, looking over at Francis. Francis said nothing but laughed quietly. "I know you know."

"Unfortunately, I am bound by my loyalty to his Grace, the Duke of Gloucester, not to reveal that information."

"Well, he is not greeting his brother," Katy spoke confidently. Francis turned his attention back to the window. He cleared his throat and motioned to Katy to look again. In the corner, she spotted Richard. He did not dare smile and kept a hand on his hilt, watching George carefully.

"He is there," Francis assured her.

"You are keeping a secret and I shall find out what it is," Katy threatened under her breath. Katy quickly looked into George's eyes and moved away from the window. Her back cooled against the stone wall. "I do not like him being here," Katy confided in Anne.

"You have our support," Anne promised, lightly taking her hand. "I shall see you soon." She and Thomas proceeded towards their chambers. Katy sighed alone and walked in the opposite direction of them. She was planning on escaping to her chambers or the great hall, but planned to do so without meeting with Isabel. She walked quickly, but took a longer route away from the Queen's chambers. She turned a corner and recognized familiar voices, arguing. Edward led in his white robes, George slightly behind him, and Richard keeping pace. Warwick stood behind the men, voicing his concerns. Katy did not have the nerve to continue her approach. The angry tones seemed to make her invisible. She lowered herself and dropped her head, remaining as inconspicuous as she could. The voices hushed and she soon watched feet approaching. A pair of shoes stopped and a hand appeared before her eyes. Katy shook her head and lightly took the hand. Richard brought it to his lips lightly, but said nothing. He bowed and winked, taking pace with his brothers again. Katy turned to continue her walk to her chambers when her thoughts were interrupted.

"I believe Lady Kathryn should spend time in my daughter's household," Warwick called loud enough for Katy to hear. Katy did not move a muscle, knowing all eyes were now on her. "Isabel is now a duchess, Lady Kathryn could learn a great deal from her."

"Absolutely not," Richard spoke calmly. He gave no supporting information which seemed to shock Warwick.

"Richard, she has much to master. I have seen her..."

"It would be best to remember whom you speak to. Lady Kathryn is my ward and as such, I have control over her activities." Warwick stood silently, for he had not expected this from young Richard. "She will never serve Isabel as her lady. And she is already favorite to her Grace, the Queen."

"You mustn't let your personal desires cloud..."

"My personal desires? You honestly believe I put my desires before hers?" Richard raised his voice. "Perhaps, you should ask her," he huffed. Katy locked eyes with Lord Warwick, neither refusing to look away. Katy smiled confidently at the lord. She had risen in ranks at court on her own merit and had now become a well respected woman.

"Lady Kathryn is in the service of my wife and as a result cannot serve your daughter," Edward concurred. Katy could see the frustration in Richard's eyes as Edward whispered in his ear. "You overstep, cousin. Lady Kathryn is the future Duchess of Gloucester. As a result, Richard or myself have the final say in her placements." Warwick nodded quietly to Edward. He was out of his graces and Edward had no problem reminding him of that. Edward turned his attention to Katy, "You may continue, Katy." Katy lowered her head and continued her journey away from the chaos she felt would ensue.

"Lady Kathryn? The Queen requests your presence." Katy smiled and nodded, making her way to exact place she hoped to avoid. The large door opened and Elizabeth immediately sighed with relief.

"Your Grace," Katy curtseyed. Anne and Isabel looked back at her. Katy looked over them, doing as Richard recommended.

"Please come with me Katy." Elizabeth stood abruptly and walked with increasing speed. Katy trailed behind, giving room for Anne and Isabel to be behind her. Elizabeth took no notice and disregarded them. "Katy, I must ask- ah Richard!" She began. He bowed and smiled softly.

"I was coming to escort you to the feast, dear sister." Elizabeth sighed and laughed lightly.

"You are too kind, Richard." She took his hand. Richard did not look back at his childhood friends, he looked ahead or at the Queen. Music filled the great hall and Katy gazed at the Christmas decor. Elizabeth stopped and spoke with her brother. She sensed the Neville girls' anxiety as Anne ran to her father and Isabel sat with George. Katy curtseyed as Richard approached.

"Come with me," he whispered, walking past her without any eye contact. Katy scanned the hall and turned to follow him. She could not help but smile as she turned the corner and faced him.

"I do not have much time," she whispered into his shoulder as he held her. "The Queen is extremely unhappy with Lady Anne and Lady Isabel after her father's death." He stroked her hair softly and sighed. "I am sorry for them. My anger is not with them, it is their father. But the Queen simply cannot hide her disappointment."

"I must ask something of you to add onto your growing duties." Katy pulled away and cocked her head slightly. "Your mare is causing much trouble in the stables. Seems she is unhappy with her latest stablemate."

"You know better than I, she prefers Gawain in the pastures. She is rather stubborn."

"Except with you. You have a strong, yet soft way with her."

"I will check on her wellbeing," Katy grinned. "It would be too late for her to be in heat," Katy reasoned and exhaled forcefully. "I must return to my duties." Richard playfully touched the red and green velvet covering her arm.

"I rather like this," he commented.

"I am happy you do, as you supply me the means to have such a dress." He followed her arm up, traveling lightly over her neck, and quickly touched her lower lip. "I must return to her Grace."

"Will you do me the honor of a dance tonight?" Katy nodded and turned slightly red, though she was unsure why.

"Well if it isn't the two love birds!" George boasted, turning the corner. "Where is your chaperone, Lady Kathryn?" Katy looked to the side and stayed quiet. "It does not look like you are keeping true to your order. Do you go against the King's direct command?"

"We are betrothed, and she is still my ward," Richard defended. "There are private matters we must attend to."

"We would never go against the King, Lord Clarence," Katy spoke confidently. She thought her ears deceived her. How could George speak of her and Richard going against the King, when he himself had betrayed Edward.

"We are as good as married," Richard added moving towards George.

"Except in one way," George taunted. "As she is still a maid and untouched by you." He turned his attention to Katy, "Unless you are a true woman."

"I am a virgin," Katy announced to George. "Though I do not think you would believe me." Katy curtseyed to George as she walked by, "I must return to the Queen. I pray for a safe pregnancy for your wife, Lord Clarence. And that your child is a boy." George bowed and Katy left him and Richard in the corridor, running back to the hall. 

She was relieved to see she was not needed as Anne Lovell had taken up the duties. Katy watched George and Richard enter into the hall and Edward greet them both. Richard held his breath as he stormed toward Francis, explaining his brother's behavior. She was upset with George, but refused to let him spoil her celebration. She looked at Anne solemn face, her eyes scanning the hall for anyone to acknowledge her. Anne stumbled upon Katy's eyes, shocked that Katy was even looking in her direction. Katy took a deep breath and half smiled at the girl. Anne did not react immediately, but soon looked at the ground.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.3M 772K 88
Marriage had always been my dream but not to a man about whom I know nothing. The moment my father fixed an alliance of me to a Prince without even t...
19.1K 622 32
Medici the Magnificent meets Hogwarts. Maria Fiore, adopted friend and sister of the Medicis, must overcome her draw to the enigmatic Francesco Pazzi...
7.7K 190 34
Long before the age of the Golden Trio, there were the Marauders. James, the ring-leader. Sirius, the run-away. Remus, the werewolf. Peter, the quiet...
27.1K 885 43
In the gritty aftermath of a tragic incident involving Finn Shelby and a young Meskhetian Turk boy, Thomas Shelby finds himself entangled in an arran...