Welcome to New York

By feverdreamhigh

โ› It's not that I don't believe in love, I'm a strong believer of it actually, I'm just deathly terrified tha... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four

Twenty-One

313 15 5
By feverdreamhigh

•• Taylor ••

Time really does fly fast, and by that, I meant, it's been already about two months since I first moved here in New York.

Yes, you heard me right. It's been two months. It's seems a bit shocking to know that, and so am I. It was like, I was starting to settle down here in New York, and one moment later, I already feel comfortable here along with its ambience and people.

And in the span of those two months, I could say that a handful of things had happened. First, Selena and Max almost broke up just because they almost couldn't find time for each other anymore. But luckily, they worked it out, and yesterday, they went out to a dinner date. Selena cried her eyes out almost every single night, because she told me that she was afraid to lose him and she didn't know what to do. But I told her that every relationship has its ups and its downs. And that's what a true relationship is. It can't just be all fun and games.

I could also say that my friendship between Harry became closer and now, we hang out casually, we usually hang out during weekends and I come to every single one of his gigs. And in the pub, Chris, Dean's godson, will come by at least once a month to visit Dean. And to be frank, I'm not completely oblivious that I don't notice that he's trying to hit me up. And every time Chris does that, I'd normally turn him down, but he seems persistent.

Anyways, speaking of gigs, there were a handful of songs that he wrote. Just like, Strong, Live while we're Young, Alive and a few more. And as time goes by, the teasing just got worse and more frequent than before than I'd like to. And Harry and I keep telling them that we're only friends, but they'd shrug it off and say that we just don't want to admit it.

Which is completely untrue.

Harry and I were only friends, and we agreed on that label. As much as I trust Harry now and our bond is only getting stronger, I don't think I'm ready to be in a relationship yet, and I honestly don't think I ever will. I'm just afraid of the fact that I'm just going to get hurt in the end, and I don't think I could risk another heartbreak. I mean, if I'll just get heartbroken in the end, what's the point of being in love in the first place, right?

Plus I don't think he's finds me attractive in any other way, he only sees me as a friend, just like what I see in him too.

I sighed as I watched the snow cover the window and its frames, making it frosty and crisp from the snowflakes. Of course, from the three months that had gone by, the weather and season had changed too. From orange leaves falling to the ground, this time, it's snow falling from the sky. I watched as the snow keeps falling down, making everything icy and covered in snow. The trees were completely covered with frost, and you wouldn't be able to see any leaves in sight.

I cupped the mug of hot chocolate in my hands and took a sip, the hot and chocolatey rich flavor of the drink went down my throat making it warm.

I checked the time on the clock hanging on the wall, it's currently eight o'clock in the evening, and nothing could go wrong with drinking hot chocolate before bed. I was currently sitting by the windowsill, in the living room. Selena was probably upstairs, inside the library, talking to Max on the phone. They were supposed to have a movie night in the family room, but I think something came up and Max had to cancel.

I think I never appreciated enough how huge Selena's house actually is. Just beside the kitchen, she has the family room where a large flat screen television is placed. Upstairs is where our rooms are located, she also has a office room with all of her necessary files and office things, she sometimes uses the room when she has to do some extra work and answer a few emails from home. Beside the office room, there's the library. The library was a cozy place where three tall bookshelves were placed and two wing back chairs are located and a small chaise lounge sofa as well. And what's the best part of the library is that, that's where the balcony is located.

Sometimes, I'd go to the library and night just so I can go to the balcony and see the starry night sky. The night sky reminded me what I saw when Harry and I were in Les Amoureux park. Which was just alluring and pleasing to see.

I finished up my cup of hot chocolate so I can get ready for bed. I went to the kitchen and washed the cup I used, making sure that I scrubbed off the stain that the chocolate made.

When I was finally done, I placed it back and dried my hands. I exited the kitchen and went upstairs. I didn't want to interfere with Selena and Max's conversation, so I just went straight ahead to my room. I neatly folded the towel I used to dry my hair with and placed it aside. I didn't bother to turn on the air conditioner because it was already cold anyways.

I climed on the bed and lied down, letting my body sink in the soft white duvets. I looked at my nightstand beside me, the Harry Potter book was still there. I finished that book a little over two months ago. And I still haven't put it away because I sometimes reread a few of my favorite scenes. And I'm thinking about getting the second book. And I honestly don't know why I still haven't got the second book yet.

Beside the Harry Potter book was my phone, I reached for my phone and I opened it up to see a few missed calls. One missed call is from my mom, one text message was from Karlie and two missed calls were from Harry.

I called my mom first, and on the fourth ring, she picked up.

"Mom, you called?" I asked and I heard a bit of vague chatters from the other end of the line.

'I did, I was just wondering if you were coming home for Christmas this year?' She asked, her voice full of hope. I swallowed thickly and my heart unintentionally began to race.

"I don't think so, Mom. I might spend this Christmas with Selena and a few other friends." I replied a bit nervously.

I could hear her sigh from the other line and I knew that I had disappointed her and she wasn't too happy with my decision.

"Mom, I spent last Christmas with you guys, right? So I might as well spend third one here in New York." I reasoned. I knew that, this wasn't the best excuse to not spend Christmas with my family.

'Yes you did, but, what does that have to do with this year's Christmas? Ever since you moved to Colorado, the last time you spent Christmas with us was last year. Please find time for your family back here, Taylor.' She scolded and I could evidently here the distraught and frustration in her tone. I knew I disappointed my mom again, not just her, but also my whole family back in Nashville. And there's nothing in the world worse than disappointing the ones you love.

"I'm sorry mom, I really am. But since I just moved here in New York, I have to save up a bit so I can visit you guys. And also, it doesn't mean that if I'm not spending Christmas with you guys this year, it'll be like that forever. I'll try my best to visit you guys as much as possible." I said and picked at my fingernails, anticipating with my mom's answer.

'Don't try, Taylor, do it. Alright, I have to go.' She said sternly but I know that I'm already off the hook.

"Okay Mom, bye, love you." I said and she hang up first before I could.

I honestly felt bad for not spending that much time with my family. But like I said, I'll do my best to make time for them, just like mom said.

After that, I opened Karlie's text message.

I have a surprise for u! ;)

That was all her message read, and I furrowed my brows in cofusion. What was that supposed to mean? What exactly did Karlie have in store for me this time?

I was about to reply to her message about what she meant when my phone buzzed and my familiar ring tone rang inside my room. I looked at the caller ID and it was none other than Harry himself.

I swiped up to answer his call and pressed the surface of my phone to my left ear.

"Hey Harry, you had two missed calls, what's up?" I asked casually, and this is what I meant by Harry and I getting closer. It's like I don't have to be formal and I could be myself when I'm around him.

'Yeah, and did I wake you up?'

"Not really, I was just about to go to bed and I was also going to return your calls. Until you know, you called."

'Is that so? Well, are you still up for something? I have a surprise for you, and yes, I know it's not the best time for this, but I promise, you won't regret this. So are you in?' He asked all so suddenly and I quickly sat up on my bed and suppressed a yawn.

"I won't regret this? That sounds promising, what's the surprise about?"

'It's not going to be a surprise anymore if I tell you now, is it?' He said cheekily which just made me even more curious about his surprise.

"Alright, fine, you've piqued my interest with this surprise of yours." I said.

'Great! I'll come over and pick you up in about thirty minutes. See you, I promise you won't regret it.' He said excitedly. And I almost laughed at how excited he was, he was just like a little kid getting his first toy. And I could've swore he was smiling the whole time while saying it.

We bid our goodbyes and both hung up.

Tonight was already full with surprises. First, it was Karlie's mysterious text message, which I had to reply when I get home, and now, it's Harry's turn to say he has a surprise. What was going on?

I shrugged the thoughts forming inside my head and got up from the bed and went straight ahead to my walk-in closet.

Great, now I have to unexpectedly pick some clothes to wear for tonight.

I rummaged through my rack of clothes and I ended up choosing a cream colored sweater, a pair of pants and a black overcoat.

I took a shower barely an hour ago, so I just stripped off my pajamas and slipped on the clothes I chose.

After I finished buttoning my coat, I folded my pajamas and placed them aside. I went to my bathroom so I can apply my usual red lipstick.

Once I was done coating my lips with my usual red shade of lipstick, I went to my drawer and pulled out a pinkish bottle filled with perfume. I sprayed some of the peach and lavender scented perfume on some parts of my body, making sure it wasn't too much.

I slipped on my ankle boots and slung my bag over my shoulder.

Before I could even walk down stairs, I headed towards the library and knocked on the door. I slightly opened the door and peeked my head inside.

Selena was sitting on the armchair, with her phone gripped tightly in her left hand and her phone was pressed on her left ear, probably still on the phone with Max.

And before I could even tell her I was going out with Harry, Selena immediately spoke up first.

"Why are you dressed up? Where are you going?" Selena asked and I let myself inside the room, gently closing the door behind me.

"I'm going out."

"At this time of night? And with who? Oh, let me guess, it's Harry isn't it?" Selena stated. I lightly nodded my head at her, and after that, a small smirk appeared on her face, giving me a cheeky look.

"Ah, late night date? That's so roman—"

"Shush it Sel, it's not a date. Harry called me a while ago and told me he has a surprise, so we decided to meet up. He's going to pick me up soon." I said, cutting her off mid-sentence. She just laughed at me and I meekly rolled my eyes at her.

"Fine, whatever you say. Tell me all about the details when you get home, I also want to hear what's his surprise, it might lead up to something." Selena said while adding a wink at the end. I just chuckled and shook my head at her.

"Alright, I have to go now. See you later." I said and I twisted the doorknob to open and before I got out I heard Selena mutter a faint 'goodbye'. I closed the door, making a soft thud sound.

I went downstairs, the heels of my shoes making a clicking sound as I go down on each step.

And as if on cue, I heard a familiar car engine and beep. I peeked at the window to see Harry's car waiting for me outside the house.

I checked myself at the mirror before opening the door and getting outside in the cold. I quickly shut the door and went towards Harry's car. I opened the car door and sat on the passenger's seat.

I took a few quick breathes, to warm myself up from the cold I had just gone out to. I glanced at Harry and he was already driving off from the house and heading towards God's knows what.

He has wearing a deep blue turtleneck with a coat to finish his top. He honestly looks fashionable at anytime, even when he's only wearing sweats. And trust me, I've seen him wear those a handful of times.

"So are you going to tell me what's the surprise all about? Or even where you're heading to?" I asked him and he just chuckled lightly at me, making his dimples pop out at each corners of his pinkish lips.

"It wouldn't be a surprise anymore, now would it?" He asked while slightly chuckling.

"All right fine, but I expect it to be good and it has to be worth it, because I was already getting in bed when you called." I said while jokingly pouting at him which made him even laugh more.

"Oh trust me, it's going to be good and worth it. I promise." He said.

I nodded my head and I leaned back at the backrest and placed my head on the headrest of the seat.

I was honestly excited about this surprise of his, it left me wondering and I couldn't wait any longer. But I trusted Harry that his surprise will be a good one. He promised anyways.

And I'm counting on him by that.

Harry parked his car in the middle of somewhere I still don't know. All I know is that he's parking his car in the dark and in the cold.

He turned off his car engine and unlocked the doors, but before we get out, I suddenly spoke to him.

"So, are you going to tell me what's the surprise? Or at least tell me where we are?"

"I promise, you'll only wait a little longer. It'll be worth it." He replied, I just shrugged it off and we both get out of his car.

Once we got out, he locked his car doors with the use of his keys and he led the way to his 'surprise'. While we were walking side by side, I could feel the cold air tickling some parts of my bare skin. The snow covered the ground beneath our feet and every time we take a step, I could hear the snow making soft crunches every time we step.

The unfamiliar place Harry led me to wasn't completely dark, there were a few street lights, but I noticed that there weren't a lot of people as well. Maybe it's just because it's a bit late in the night and who would honestly go out at this time of the night? Apparently, me and Harry.

With a few more walking around in the cold, from a distance, I could hear faint sounds of waves crashing into a shore, perhaps.

Waves? Does that mean. . .?

My thoughts and conclusions were proven true when Harry and I finally reached where he was leading me to. A beach.

A beach during a frigid night.

I stared with awe at the sight in front of me. The sand was completely covered by the snow, as expected, but the waves slightly crash against the shore, making a crashing sound, and the crisp air also added up to the scenery. And on the further side of the shore, there seems to be a dock, if I'm not mistaken.

"This isn't my surprise yet, let's go to the dock over there." Harry stated and he led the way to where we was pointing, the dock.

"Harry, where exactly are we?" I suddenly asked while we were walking towards the dock. I honestly didn't mean to ruin the quiet atmosphere between us, but I was just wondering and I was left curious about it.

"We're somewhere in Brooklyn." He answered back.

Brooklyn? But isn't that a bit far away from Queens? But even though Brooklyn is far away from Queens, the drive to Brooklyn doesn't really seem as long as I'd expect.

With a little bit of strolling at the snow covered beach, we finally reached the dock.

And the dock has a quite fancy looking yacht parked in front of it. I could see some of the lights were on inside the yacht. I turned to look at Harry with a confused look and he just gave me a smirk in return.

He led me the way to the yacht. I walked on the wooden planks of the dock while Harry did the same.

Once we reached the yacht, he helped me get on it first before he did. After we both got securely inside the yacht, I took my time to admire the place.

We were in the lounge part of the yacht, and a few lights were turned on, but it wasn't too bright and it was actually a bit dim, just perfect for a night like this.

"Harry, is this your—?" I didn't got to finish what I was about to say when he cuts me off mid-sentence.

"I suppose this is a part of my surprise, but don't worry, we're getting there." He replied.

A man looking in his early thirties suddenly walked into our direction. He has tanned skin with a smile plastered on his face.

"Ah, Harry, I thought you wouldn't come. And I reckon this is Taylor?" He spoke while giving Harry a side hug before turning to me.

"Sorry it took us a while. And yes, this is Taylor. Taylor, meet Jace, our captain for tonight, and Jace, this is Taylor." Harry introduced us to one another. I stick out my hand for Jace to shake and he gladly took it.

"You can call me Ace if you'd like. And it's nice to finally meet you, Taylor. I've heard a handful of stories about you." He mentioned.

"You too, Ace. And I hope those are good things." I replied, pulling my hand away from his grip.

"Good things indeed."

After our little introduction, Jace told us that he's about to start the yacht so he could take us wherever Harry's surprise is. Jace went back to where he came from and disappeared from our sights.

And once Jace was gone, a moment later I could feel the yacht moving against the sea.

I don't know why, but I feel this kind of excitement coursing through my veins. It's a kind of adrenaline rush. I smiled giddly at Harry, which he returned. He led me to the yacht's deck where we could see the view.

It got even colder when we were outside on the deck. Especially when the cold wind was gushing past us, but nevertheless, the view was a sight to see.

"I met Jace in courtesy of Bryce. Do you remember Bryce, my waiter friend? The one you told me that was a joy to be around." Harry started.

"Of course, speaking of Bryce, I haven't seen him since then."

"You'll see him soon then. But Bryce was a big part of this surprise and he helped me a lot with this, so I really owe him." He said.

"Why? What was the surprise he helped you out with?"

"Look in front of you." He replied. I glanced at Harry first, he was looking straight ahead, but I've got to admit, he looks striking with his side profile, his sharp jawline could probably cut through glass.

I shook the thought that were forming inside my head once I realized what I was thinking about. Did I just really think Harry, who's my friend, was attractive? Especially with his jawline? What kind of things was I thinking?

I pushed the thoughts away and looked in front of me, just like what Harry told me to, and I quietly gasped at the sight in front of me.

It was the statue of liberty.

I quickly turned to look at Harry, and he also did the same. He could clearly see the shocked expression I have and etched on my face and he smiled before me.

"Well, surprise."

"Harry, you didn't have to do this. This is just too much, you–"

"It's fine Taylor, like I said, I got some help from friends. And just enjoy the view, so do you like it?"

"Like is an understatement. I love it, Harry, thank you." I replied with a genuine smile on my face.

I looked the view in front of me. I honestly never thought that I'd get to see one of the most well-known landmarks in the world.

But here I am now, in a secluded yacht with just me and Harry, on a quiet cold night in early December.

"You remembered." I said quietly, almost to myself, but Harry clearly heard it as he hummed back in reply and muttering a 'pardon me?'.

"You remembered the promise you made when we had our first lunch together. You promised that you'll take me on a tour around New York and I'll get to see the statue of liberty. And here we are now. Thank you Harry, really."

"Anything for a friend, Taylor. Isn't that what friends are for?" He said and we both chuckled.

I looked back at the sight in front of me. The yacht was still moving, but it's movement and pace slowed down and we were moving gradually. Harry muttered something like he was going to get something from the back, but I didn't heard him clearly because I was too occupied at the sight.

It wasn't moments later when Harry returned. I looked at him to see him carrying a bottle of champagne as well as a bottle of what seems like red wine. He smirked at me which I returned. He settled the two bottles on a table near me and pulled out two wine glasses. He gestured for me to sit which I followed.

I sat next to him as Harry poured some champagne into the glass and he poured some red wine for himself. He handed me the champagne flute which I gladly accepted.

These past few months, I've been drinking a few glasses of alcohol here and there. Unlike my first few weeks here in New York, I was cautious about the drinks served to me, and I turned down every drink that has any alcohol content in it. But now, I've been taking a few glasses of wine or champagne if I can, I just told myself that it was a part of my life anyway.

I looked up at the night sky above us. The evening sky had a few sparkling stars that were twinkling ever so often, and of course, the full moon itself was an artwork. The moonlight gave us just enough light to illuminate the starry night.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Harry look up at the night sky as well. I could feel his shoulders gently brush against mine, and as much as I tried to deny and ignore it, I couldn't help but think that he sent shivers down at my back.

And from this moment on, I couldn't ask for anything better.

It was just me and Harry on a yacht, the statue of liberty was in front of us and the beautiful night sky was hovering above us.

•• Harry ••

I served myself one last glass of red wine, I poured the dark red liquid into my wine glass, filling it about halfway.

"Harry, pour me another one, would you?" I heard Taylor asks, or more like slur.

"Are you sure, Taylor? I mean, you've already had five glasses of champagne for tonight."

"I'm sure, this is my last one, promise." She said and I just obeyed what she wanted me to do.

She handed me her glass, almost slipping out of her grip and it almost fell, luckily I caught it before it the wine glass shattered into pieces. I poured what's left in the champagne bottle, which wasn't that much. After pouring the gold and sparkling liquid into her glass, I handed the champagne flute to her while she quietly thanked me.

We were currently sitting on our laid back chairs. Jace stopped the yacht just a bit farther away from the statue. And I think Jace is in the back, probably giving himself a rest and a drink. But just a while ago, he came to the deck to tell us that we'll be heading back to the shore soon.

I frankly have no idea what time it is, but I could tell that it was late in the night. I looked at Taylor, she was laying on the chair beside me. She was looking up at the sky, that was what she was doing these past hours. She'll either look at the statue again, ask me to pour her another drink, or she'll look at the stars above us, it was a cycle she repeated.

"Harry, I've never really got to appreciate the night sky, until now. It's so gorgeous." She mentioned.

I looked at the night sky above us, just like what Taylor has been doing. The full moon glistened against the dark sky, and the little shining stars were scattered around it. It was definitely a sight to see. And Taylor wasn't wrong about calling it gorgeous.

"Yeah it is, but it's nothing compared to you." I blurted out loud. And I instantly regretted that I even said that aloud.

"Sorry Harry, what did you say? I didn't heard you." Taylor said and I slightly gave a sigh of relief.

"Um, I said that you're right." I replied and I knew that was a bad excuse but Taylor being already tipsy, she bought it and nodded her head.

I could instantly feel my cheeks heat up and I knew my cheeks were probably as red as Taylor's red lipstick. And why did I even had that kind of thoughts in the first place? I mentally scolded myself for being careless about what I say out loud. I should be more careful next time, I wouldn't want Taylor catching me next time when she's sober.

But I wasn't lying about what I had just said though, because I know it's the truth.

I was sober enough to drive us home. I only had three glasses anyway. Jace told us that we were heading back shortly after the embarrassing incident I had just made and said.

And right now, I was driving Taylor and I home. Just one left turn around the street and we'll arrive to her house in no time.

Taylor sat at the passenger's seat. And for the whole ride, she kept on telling me her life back in Nashville, her home town and how she moved to Colorado. But she hasn't told me anything yet about the reason why she moved to New York though.

I noticed that when Taylor gets drunk, she's the type where she usually talks a lot and she's very galorous. Unlike me, when I'm drunk, I just usually blurt out cheesy pick up lines and I'm the kind where I get awfully a bit too flirtatious is I get too much drinks. And I honestly have no plans about getting drunk, especially when Taylor's around. I met just blurt something out that I wouldn't want her to know, because the things I might say is what I keep deep inside my heart and hide it from her.

I took a left turn and I could see her house down across the road. I glanced at Taylor, she was still awake, but she's gone quiet and I could see her eyelids becoming heavy and it was already a struggle for her to keep them open.

I stopped the car in front of the house, I quickly got out of my driver's seat and immediately went to Taylor's side to open her door. I helped her got out, I offered her my hand for her to take and she quietly thanked me.

"Thank you for tonight, Harry. I really enjoyed it. And you weren't wrong when you said it was going to be worth it, because it is. I owe you a lot." She said.

I muttered something along the lines of 'no worries' and 'you don't have to'. I offered Taylor if she needed my help to get in her house, but she gently declined and said that she could make it.

As I awaited for her to walk towards the door of the house, before she could even take a step forward, she turned back to look at me.

I was confused for a moment until she unexpectedly placed a kiss on my left cheek. Her warm lips landed on my cheek adruptly. My eyes went a bit wide at her sudden action, and after she pulled her lips away from my cheek, I could feel my cheeks heat up quickly. And I was glad it was dark and it was night so she wouldn't be able to see my reddened cheeks.

"Thank you again, Harry. I'll see you soon." She said and then she finally sauntered towards the wooden door. I saw her pull out a key from her bag, she inserted it inside the lock and opened the door.

I waited for her to get inside, she turned the lights on and went inside the house. But before she closes the door, she gave me a smile and a wink, and finally she softly closed the door.

I walked towards the driver's seat, my mind still befuddled about what had just happened a while ago.

I opened the car door and got inside the driver's seat and started the engine, and soon enough I was starting to drive away from her house.

Maybe it's just because Taylor was intoxicated too much with alcohol and she had the will to place a kiss on my cheek. Because she had never done that before, never in the past two months had she been close to me in that way.

While driving, I thought about it for a while. And I could feel a smile creeping its way to my lips as the short memory played inside my head.

I might be making this a big deal, but for me, it's clearly a big deal. Considering my small crush for Taylor, the butterflies inside me fluttered wildly. And somehow, I could still feel the warmth of her lips radiate on my cheek.

I did say that I wasn't expecting that at all, but I never said that I didn't liked it though.

And I think I enjoyed it too much than I would've thought.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.6K 1.7K 32
โ If we love again, I swear I'll love you right. . . โž โ”โ” When Harry broke up with Taylor, that was the only mistake he wished he hadn't done. The...
38.2K 2.2K 72
"Just give me one more chance, take my hand and I'll take you to Wonderland." Honestly, I did not choose to go to Canada, it wasn't really the first...
63.7K 1.5K 95
I should have fixed my hair, checked my makeup. I should have made sure the obvious tears that even I didn't realize I had shed were cleaned from my...
176 6 15
Celebrity and Barista!? Who wouldn't expect this would happen? A guy who is working as a barista, loving coffee, and an average person had a crush on...