The Mating Season (Chase Me...

By jaywren_author

Marcel Conway is fresh on the market for a new year of the Mating Season: a sex auction masquerading as a Pea... More

Introduction
☽☾Characters☽☾
☽☾ Smoke ☽☾
☽☾ Before the Storm ☽☾
☽☾ Hotel Blues ☽☾
☽☾ The Parade ☽☾
☽☾Apologies Are for The Weak☽☾
☽☾ Dog Tags ☽☾
☽☾ Donovan Blackmon ☽☾
☽☾ Claiming Day ☽☾
☽☾ The Running ☽☾
☽☾ Finally Mine☽☾
☽☾ bittersweet ☽☾
☽☾ wildfire ☽☾
☽☾ moon mixer ☽☾
☽☾ frost on flowers ☽☾
☽☾ melting hearts ☽☾
☽☾ cold brews ☽☾
☽☾ when in rome ☽☾
☽☾ antique tears ☽☾
☽☾ sweat and smoothies ☽☾
☽☾ turn the page ☽☾
☽☾ breaking the dam☽☾
☽☾ the path less travelled ☽☾
☽☾ enter the summit ☽☾
☽☾ the book of Genesis ☽☾
☽☾ Arcadia's point ☽☾
☽☾ a whimsical proposition ☽☾

☽☾ the clapback called karma ☽☾

3.8K 133 83
By jaywren_author

☽☾ ☽☾ ☽☾

"Fatigue...dehydration...she'll be fine, she's over exhausted herself. Give her some room."

When I opened my eyes, I could see the soft, beige roof of an SUV, my cheek stuck to the cool leather seat beneath me. I finally gathered my bearings and shakily propped myself up on my hands. I could feel the steady vibration of the motor running and I knew we were moving. 

"Marcel, honey, lay back down. Don't strain yourself," Jane spoke gently from the front passenger seat. A sigma from Night Blood was driving. I looked up dizzily and cursed softly, flopping upright against the seat as I clutched my aching head. 

"Jane, I was trying to tell you," I groaned, rubbing my eyes. 

"Marcel, your speech was slurring and nothing you were saying was making any sense," She sighed, leaning around the seat to look at me with worry. "We were worried you were having a heat stroke."

"Jane, there was a woman in the woods!" I hissed, my eyes snapping open as I glared. Her face remained even and I gnashed my teeth in frustration. "I'm not crazy! There was a woman in the woods. She was watching us. She wore a white dress and last night she spoke to me about the Mating Season-!"

"Marcel!" Jane quipped authoritatively, her tone silencing me as her eyes darkened. I fell silent, my jaw hanging open as I donned disbelief on my face like a mask. 

"I...I don't believe this," I sputtered, my chest twinging with hurt as my eyes flamed. "You don't believe me! You think I was just seeing things!"

"Marcel," Her voice was still stern, but quieter as she kept her eyes glued on me. "Right now is not the time to talk about this," I scoffed and her eyes sharpened. "That doesn't mean I don't believe you. In case you need your memory jogged, you passed out from over exertion. If what your ladies say is true and you really carried Tekiera up the last three miles of the mountain, then you need to rest!"

I maintained my silence, glaring down at the floorboards of the well furnished vehicle with contempt and impatience, my knee bouncing anxiously. 

"You need to rest. If you say that you saw something in those mountains, then you saw it. No questions asked. We will talk about it when we get back with Donovan and Jaxon. But you are exhausted and if you keep straining yourself you'll just give yourself a head ache and pass out again," She lectured as she turned around in her seat. "I'm not saying that we won't talk about it. But if you relax and drink some water and wait until after the celebration, it will give you more time to recall some details and align the events you saw."

I bit my tongue. I hate it when she makes a valid point. 

"Celebration?" I parroted after a moment, deciding to listen to Jane. 

"Yes, the welcoming ceremony. My grandson has been particularly annoying since you left," She grumbled from the front seat and I coughed to hide a dismayed laugh. Donovan? Annoying? 

"Of course it sounds humorous, the big and foreboding Alpha of Night Blood pestering his feeble old grandmother, threatening to put me in a nursing home if I didn't give him an update on you," She waved a hand dismissively. "You know, the bastard actually printed out a list of assisted care snow bird facilities? The gall of that boy! As if I could march out here myself and say Oh, Marcel, how is the Summit going? You're not injured are you?  How on earth something that bothersome descended from the fruits of my loins I'll never know!"

I was shaking violently from trying so hard to withhold my laughter. It seemed so unlike him, and yet, so much like something he'd do. 

"If the rotten brat wasn't annoying me, it took every bit of my strength to drag him out of that green house. He nearly killed me when I told him to stop crying into his tulips."

"And...I suppose when you came out here to get us?" I pressed, trying to hide my curiosity. She glanced back at me with a teasing glower. 

"Don't sound so smug, Marcel, I had to beat the boy off my leg just to get here!" She huffed, turning around in her seat. "The seats were already full, and he arranged that himself! Gran, will you just check and see? Maybe someone got sick and there's a seat open?" She mocked her grandson perfectly and I couldn't hide the brilliant smile that took over my face as I leaned back, practically brimming with bliss and excitement to finally see him. 

But as a moment passed and the green blur of trees racing by the window grew boring, a sudden thought sobered my glee. 

"Jane...was there another attack while we were gone?" I asked softly. 

Her silence planted a seed of dread in my stomach and I closed my eyes, waiting for her to rip off the band aid. 

"Alpha Adrian of Imperial Canis," She had finally admitted regretfully. "Someone poisoned his wine. His Beta found him a few minutes after he ingested it. A minute later and he'd have been dead. He's in intensive care right now but...the doctor's aren't hopeful."

My face puckered with guilt, a blossom of sadness seeped through my body and I lay a hand over my eyes tiredly. Alpha Adrian had been kind and supportive at the meeting. Encouraging me and inspiring me to continue being true to myself as a leader. "If your words are any indication of what type of leader you're going to be, I expect we'll see great things from you."

"Rest, Marcel, we'll be home soon."

☽☾ ☽☾ ☽☾

Coming back, dusk had begun to settle on the quaint territory of Night Blood. Glimmering fairy lights and flickering torches lined the drive as the convoy of vehicle tore down the weathered, dirt trail. 

The dim clearing was alive with a tall bonfire, the red flames dancing high in the air, and the silhouettes of the pack rippled as people moved out of the way. The Welcoming Ceremony. 

My heart seemed to be stuck in my throat, anxiety coursing through my body like a drug. Jane leaned around the front seat and smiled at me. 

"Breathe, darling, Donovan is waiting," She told me tenderly before swinging the door open and stepping out. 

I looked down at my scratched, dirtied hands, my shorts tattered and shirt stretched ridiculously and littered with stains. A small, miniscule part of me fretted over my appearance, tutting disapprovingly about my unruly state, but the majority of me was brimming with nerves, ready to be out of this car and back into Donovan's arms. 

My shaking hand closed around the latch and slowly pulled. 

The scent of burning oak, smoke, and a hint of bourbon flooded my nose along. The humid air latched onto my skin like a leech, and my tired eyes scanned the dark crowd of people. I could hear my ladies letting out gleeful shouts and I turned to see them all racing off into haphazard directions as they hunted down their mates. 

I stepped out onto wobbly feet, the sensation surreal as the sound of unanimous clapping reached me, cheering for our arrival.

"Marcie!" 

And there he was. His voice, smooth and deep like a fifth of whiskey intoxicated me instantly, every muscle in my body relaxing in relief. 

Donovan stood tall over the crowd of silhouettes, the flames casting shadows across the fine curves of his sculpted face, his inky dark hair in a tousled mess as those molten gold eyes stared down at me. 

A crooked smile claimed his face as he wove around the throng of people, aiming for me. 

"Donovan," My voice was nothing more than a relieved whisper as I hobbled toward him. 

In one fatal swoop, i was enveloped in his large, warm arms, my face pressed tightly against his chest as my hands scrambled to find purchase on his broad back. Clean linen dancing on the warm summer breeze in a thickly wooded forest, a new cup of freshly brewed coffee pressed against grizzled lips---it filled my vision and imagination with a vigor. 

I hardly realized I was hiccupping with emotion until I heard him shushing me gently, a large, calloused hand smoothing down my matted hair. 

"You did it, Marce," He hummed, pulling back as he beamed down at me, adoration gleaming in those melting amber eyes. "You did it and then some. Smile, love, be proud of yourself," He chuckled, leaning down as he pressed his forehead against mine, and a shaky, emotional laugh fell from me. "Be proud of yourself, like I am."

"Shit," I hiccupped, my hands skimming down the sharp curves of his arms. "I missed you." Three words that I would have never seen myself using when I first got here. A small, sweet nothing that threatened to be chased by three more, horrifying, and intimate words. 

"And I missed you," He murmured, placing his lips against my forehead before pulling back to stare at me with that same, stomach churning look of admiration. 

"Jane said you were getting annoying," I breathed another laugh as my hands fell from his arms and our fingers tangled. There was a perturbed glint in his eyes and his face puckered ever so slightly with irritation. 

"Chatty old coot," He grumbled. 

"You're not putting Jane in a nursing home," I told him with a roll of my eyes and he blinked owlishly in shock. "Donovan, you can't threaten her with assisted care."

"I'll pawn her off on hospice," He said icily, a small mirthful grin playing at his lips. "Teach her a lesson for running her mouth."

"Hospice is for people that are-?" I started when his grin broadened and I gasped. "Donovan, that's horrid!" I slapped his arm as he let out a barking laugh. 

"Come on, Marce," He said as he took my hand lead me over to the fire. "I wasn't the only one getting annoying while you were gone."

I furrowed my brows as I followed before my face split into a large smile and a boisterous laugh left me when I saw the flint of auburn hair. Kadence. Why didn't I guess? When she me, her freckled face lit up like a Christmas tree and she darted toward me like a bat out of hell. 

"Marcel! Holy shit," She chirped happily, nearly knocking me over as Donovan released me and took a step back. "That has to be a record! 4 Days and 16 hours?! What kind of drugs are you on?!" 

I untangled her arms from around my neck and a smiled warmly at Kadence's excitement. 

"It's good to see you, too," I told her. "How have you been keeping yourself sane?"

"Extra guard duty," She waved a hand dismissively. "Marco had to physically force me to do the shifts, otherwise I was in Alpha Blackmon's office. He was surprisingly unhelpful with updates."

A flurry of motion behind Kadence caught my attention and I peeked around her. There was Genesis, standing in the arms of Benjamin, a deceiving smile plastered across her face as she melted against him, laughing in tune with those around her. 

Her brown eyes flickered over to me, and my face had to have given away my dismay. The mask slipped out of place ever so slightly, and I could see the sadness lingering as she smiled gently at me in understanding and gave me a small nod. 

"Marcel?" Kadence touched my shoulder and I jerked back to reality.  I smiled awkwardly and forced a short laugh as I averted my eyes from Genesis. 

"Sorry, I was spacing out," I said guiltily. Kadence scoffed and rolled her eyes. 

"Spacing out? After nearly five days in the mountains? How unheard of!" Sarcasm dripped heavily from her words. I could feel Donovan's intense stare on the back of my head and I laughed to play it off. 

"You're right, I am pretty tired," I glanced back at Donovan. "I'll stick it out as long as I can, but a hot shower and clean sheets are calling my name."

Donovan's face relaxed a bit but the concern never fully left his amber eyes. I had a feeling if Donovan had it his way, we'd talk about it later. 

I felt an overwhelming, consuming sensation of guilt and frustration, even as I continued to laugh and socialize, reacquainting myself with my friends. Just because I was excited to return back home and be with my mate...it didn't mean everyone was. 

How could I be so foolish? Genesis had just told me about the situation with Ben! I almost couldn't stomach myself. But even now...watching as Genesis laughed so easily, smiled so carelessly, and exuded an unparalleled sense of happiness, shit, it seemed like that night in the mountains was a dream. 

Would it really be like this? What happened in the mountains would stay in the mountains? Perhaps the copper haired woman really was a figment of my imagination, or projection of my own disappointment with myself? 

Through the celebration and exhaustion, I had begun to even doubt myself...

Donovan never left my side the entire night, following me like a lost puppy and guiding me around the pack to speak to introduce me as  the crowning Luna to different groups. We were practically glued at the hip...and I didn't exactly hate it. 

"Where is Lydia?" I had finally asked after we left the third group of Deltas from the forward group. Donovan raised a dark brow curiously at me, a mirthful smirk playing at his lips. 

"Are you actually curious?"

"Not really," I snorted. "I just happened to notice the birds still singing and the lack of children crying."

Donovan quickly wiped the smile off his face with his hand, clearly trying to compose himself and remain as unbiased as he could. 

"Lydia said she was feeling sick," He explained and I mocked a gasp.

"Tuberculosis? Pneumonia? Oh, one can only hope for a pulmonary embolism!"

"If I'm not mistaken, I heard her laughing healthily to an episode of Friends," He admonished me with a sympathetic pat on my shoulder and I groaned. 

"Dammit, I actually liked that show. Now I have to hate it by association," I grumbled. "Could she be anymore insufferable?"

Just as Donovan went to respond to my cleverly timed pun (if I do say so myself) a piercing howl filled the celebration clearing, and the pleasant hum of chitter chatter fell silent. His carved face went rigid, a feral look flashing in his eye and my face instantly puckered with worry, rocks seeming to fill my stomach. 

"Donovan? Donovan, what is it?" I demanded, grabbing his arm when he instantly tore away from me, grabbing Kadence's mate, Marco and pulled him away from the throng of people. 

"You and Kadence, make sure everyone is back in their homes, now!" He snarled at Marco, who kept serious and cool, unflinching in the severe tone of the Alpha. Marco nodded and swept a stone-faced Kadence away as Donovan drew the attention of the pack in attendance. 

"Curfew is in place, starting tonight!" He barked out over the silent clearing, save for the soft whistle of the wind and crackling of the bonfire. "Everyone is to head immediately to their homes and remain there until you receive word that it is safe! Any meanderers or rule breakers will answer directly to me!"

He sounded absolutely savage. The tone he took was feral, yet regal. Even with his threat still hanging in the air, I hardly wanted to be on the receiving end of the ass chewing that awaited anyone bold enough to defy Alpha Donovan...and he's supposed to be my mate. 

As the masses began to move, rippling like the scales of a serpent I found my voice and called out for him again. "Donovan! Please, talk to me!" 

He spun around, his hands wrapping around mine instantly. 

"Come on, we're meeting Jane and Jaxon at the gate now," He told me urgently. "I don't know everything, but they'll explain it when we get there."

Still in a fog of confusion, I nodded and allowed him to lead me out of the clearing of people scrambling to get to their homes, and down the dark, dusty trail to the gate, two Sigmas in tow. Something felt wrong...

This feeling caused a nauseated pit of concern to develop in my stomach, my mind spiraling with both and anxiety and fatigue. But Donovan's hand, his warm touch, seemed to keep me from plummeting as he kept our hands twined. 

Finally at the gate, I could make out a series of figures, silhouettes standing in the dark before the ominous gap that was our gate. The closest person being a familiar head of mahogany brown, matted hair. 

"Khadra?" I called out and she turned instantly, concern flashing across her paling face. 

"Idiots," Donovan hissed under his breath venomously as he released my hand and stomped toward the group of people congregating around the gate. 

"Marcel," She breathed, racing toward me. "What the hell is going on?"

"I was about to ask you the same thing," I furrowed my brows in confusion. "You beat us here. I thought you'd know?"

She shook her head, her eyes straying to the group of people. 

"We only just got here. Jaxon is trying to handle the situation...we have visitors?"

My mind flashed instantly to the woman in the woods. I quickly shook the ludicrous thought from my head. It wouldn't make any sense for her to be here now. The more I thought about it, the treaty between the packs was still a sensitive accommodation for many. If we had visitors, it wasn't likely that a friendly greeting awaited them. 

Khadra blew a heavy breath and let her eyes stray to the group where an argument appeared to be boiling. 

"-and I'm saying you don't just barge into our territory without any notice! Peace Treaty or not, have some goddamn etiquette!" Jax's voice rang out. "Look, pal, just because you're built like a deep freezer doesn't mean I won't hand deliver your ass straight to the Lord."

"Jaxon, I will hand deliver you to the fucking dog house if you don't shut the fuck up!" And that was Donovan. 

I sighed heavily, rubbing my temples, "Ready to be the voice of reason?"

When I didn't hear a response, I looked up and saw Khadra striding toward the ruckus, already piling up her matted locks on top of her head. 

"Wait, Khadra, no!" I gasped, hobbling after her. 

Just as I was trained to be the Alpha Female of the pack, Khadra had been preparing herself for the role of the Beta Female. We were not submissive supports to our male counterparts (aka our mates) but rather co-leaders. 

Just because women were softer and more nurturing, did not make us housewives' holding babies on our hips. Just as I was becoming the Luna, Khadra was taking on the task of becoming Beta, to not only regard and enforce my decisions, but to debate and talk strategy with my logically. 

But of course, logic seemed to be smoldering away in the bonfire back at the Welcoming Ceremony.

With my hand clasped around Khadra's mouth, I finally dragged her toward the group, ignoring her struggling. 

Amid the wolf-like snarls and growling, Donovan was spitting out orders, Jaxon still glowering arrogantly at the new arrivals, and Jane was looming off to the side with a forlorn expression. Her tired amber eyes flickered toward me and she nodded at the group. She wants me to interfere? Talk about throwing me straight into the frying pan. 

It wasn't that hard for me to lose my cool in that moment, during the dick measuring contest that appeared to be occurring. No one could get a word in edgewise. 

I gnashed my teeth, releasing my hold on Khadra as a white hot fury pulsed through me, fueled with an unfamiliar sensation of intrinsic power. 

"Stop." 

My voice echoed through the woods, the reverb filling the gated area with a feeling I'd only felt while on the receiving end of an Alpha's wrath... It quieted, and Donovan's head whipped around with unbelievable speed as he stared at me with dismay and, dare I say, guilt?

I couldn't dwell on him for too long. 

"What the fuck is going on?" I spat, walking closer. A sigma, which had been standing in the middle of my warpath, discreetly backed away like he was tiptoeing across light bulbs. 

And that was when I could see it. 

A force of seven wolves stood at the gate, varying in size and color, but all so achingly familiar. When my eyes finally found the man Jax had been going toe to toe with, I didn't hide my shock very well. 

"J-Johnny Bravo?" I blinked owlishly, as I saw the head full of curly brown hair swivel to face me. Kade cocked his head at me for a moment before he bit back a laugh. 

"Conway? Excuse me...Luna," He shamelessly said with a disbelieving shake of his head. "I'd almost forgotten that wretched nickname."

I turned to Donovan with a broad smile, my eyes glimmering excitedly. "Donovan, this is Johnny-er-Kade. He was a Sigma Enforcer from Ash Oak at the Mating Season," I explained quickly, feeling the nostalgia of seeing this ridiculous brute eat away at my previous worries. "That means...Ash Oak is here?" 

Donovan grimaced, his eyes darting over to Jax who begrudgingly took a step back. 

"What are you-," Donovan began when I blurted over him amidst my excitement. 

"What are you doing here? This is crazy, I haven't seen you since the ceremony!" I laughed brilliantly, scratching my head in disbelief. What a crazy reunion?

Kade's face dissolved instantly, his eyes lowering. He donned the same stoic expression I had become accustomed to during my first few days in the Mating Season. His lips were pressed into a hard line, only breaking when he spoke. 

And when he did, it wiped the smile off my face like he'd slapped me. 

"Luna Marcel....Alpha Daniel is dead."

(A/N) Oh good...I mean, AWE DAMN IM SO SAD, NO NOT ALPHA DANIEL. And yes this was the 'death' I spoke of. 

Hi I'm back again. Update is a little late, but not as late as before. (It didn't take a month, I call that a win!)

I'm also really feeling the ship name Darcel...So thank you guys so much for your suggestions. They were extremely helpful.

Thank you guys so much for your support, god, it means the world to me and with how horrible things have been going lately, seeing your votes and reading your comments has put a smile on my face and sense of love and joy that keeps me going. Not to sound too cliche but, fr, you guys inspire me. 

*Ahem*

***What's your favorite part of this book so far?***

***What would you like to see happen next?***

***Is my humor drying up? I felt like I was scrambling...***

Next Chapter:
Marcel's pleasant surprise is soiled...by some very severe allegations. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5K 122 39
*Now rated Mature because of final chapter* In a world where shifters live on reservations and cater to the human's whims, there are also advantages...
122K 4.6K 64
"I want her." he said coldly sipping onto his wine staring at the grey eyed enchantress standing in front of him taking in her curves and flawless sm...
265K 8.2K 37
06.10.21~~ #2 in love 06.10.21~~ #3 in romance 06.10.21~~ #1 in werewolf 06.10.21~~ #1 in mates "Why do you hate me?" I cupped her cheeks and deeply...
87.3K 3.4K 31
"Privacy is only temporary between you and me." *** At four years old, Sophia was spared the fate that befell the rest of her family. The daughter of...