PAIN | Jasper Hale [1]

By typicalwriternerd

"It all started with a look." Dorothea Summers or "Thea", lost a lot in her short life. After a rather recent... More

~PREFACE~
~PROLOGUE~
~CHAPTER 1: ARRIVAL~
~CHAPTER 2: SCHOOL~
~CHAPTER 3: INCIDENT~
~CHAPTER 4: SHOPPING~
~CHAPTER 5: A PROMISE~
~CHAPTER 6: ACCIDENT~
~CHAPTER 7: THE BIG BAD SECRET~
~CHAPTER 8: VAMPIRES?~
~CHAPTER 9: SUNNY DAY~
~CHAPTER 10: MONSTER~
~CHAPTER 11: PART OF FAMILY~
~CHAPTER 12: IT WAS YOU~
~CHAPTER 13: NORMAL~
~CHAPTER 14: SLEEPOVER WITH VAMPIRES~
~CHAPTER 15: VAMPIRE BASEBALL~
~CHAPTER 17: I LOVE YOU~
~CHAPTER 18: AWAKENING~
~CHAPTER 19: TOGETHER AGAIN~
~CHAPTER 20: HAPPILY EVER AFTER... OR IS IT?~
Part II

~CHAPTER 16: AWAY FROM HOME~

13.8K 365 42
By typicalwriternerd

(edited: 22.01.24)

"EDWARD, I said leave me alone!" Bella screamed as we stormed into the house.

"Bella, please calm down. Give me another chance..." Edward tried weakly... and awkwardly.

I frowned at him, thinking loudly so he could pick it up.

You're not winning any awards for that performance...

He sent me a look that I simply translated, as "Really?".

Playing along with the plan, I sent him the harshest glare that I could manage and said "There are no second chances with my sister, asshole. Now go home and get your shit together!"

Edward sent me a surprised look, as I slammed the doors so hard that I got worried about the glass part might shattering.

"Hey!" called Charlie in alarm, coming down the hallway looking between me and Bella "What the hell is going on?!"

Bella ran up to her room, while I huffed, going to mine.

"Thea?!"

Stopping briefly, I just said "All guys are assholes! That's what happened!"

With that I entered my room and slammed the door shut, listening as Charlie said something, before running up the stairs. Sighing, I looked up, just to see Jasper already packing my bag.

He looked up and frowned, his fists clenching as he whispered "I'm sorry..."

I shook my head, coming closer and helping him "Let's just... let's just pack up."

Jasper stopped only briefly, before continuing on. Together we packed up as much stuff as we could, thankfully without having to worry about any toiletries, as Bella would pack those. I zipped the back shut and something wet dropped down on my hand, making me realize that I was crying.

Rubbing my eyes, I shook, feeling way too hot as my heart raced and my head pounded.

"Hey, hey... he's going to be fine. You're going to be fine." Jasper reassured, his hand coming to rest on my back, as I turned and put my head on his chest, fighting back tears.

"I'm so scared, Jasper..." I admitted, taking a sharp breath as sobs tried to escape me.

Jasper wrapped his arms around me fully, making me nearly disappear against his cold frame "Shhh... I won't let anything happen to you. Or Bella. None of us will. I'm sure that Carlisle already has a plan, he has friends, Esme too. They won't leave you or us. We are not alone in this. You are not alone, Thea... I swear."

I nodded, shaking as I whispered "But Charlie... I couldn't live with myself if something happened to him. I need... we need to..."

"We won't leave him alone, either. But right now, you and Bella need to play your part... as hard as it might be." he reassured, kissing the top of my head "It's going to be alright."

Pulling away I nodded, taking a deep breath I wiped my face "Okay. Okay..."

Kissing my wet cheek, Jasper sighed "Charlie is coming... I'll meet you in the car. I love you."

With that he was gone, leaving behind nothing but a soft gust of wind and a cold feeling of his lips against my flaming cheek.

"I love you too..." I whispered back to the empty room, just as the door to my room opened revealing a hurt and desperate looking Charlie.

"Kid, what the hell is going on? You're leaving too? W-Where will you go?" he asked as the hurtful expression only grew on his weathered face.

I looked at him, before glancing away, playing with the strap of my bag "I'm sorry... I just, I can't let Bella leave alone in this state. I'll drive her to her mother's house and then I'll be back. I promise—"

Charlie shook his head, cutting me off "What the hell happened out there?"

Taking a deep breath, I swung the bag over my shoulder "They got into an argument, both said nasty things and then I got involved..." sighing, I shook my head "She's really hurt... you need to understand that she needs her mom right now."

He nodded at me, looking more calm but also defeated...

"O-Okay, alright kid... I-I trust you. Just call me if anything happens. I don't care if it's about gas prices or–or I don't know, about what flavor of a granola bar you chose. You call me, got it?"

Smiling with trembling lips, I nodded "Got it."

With that I moved to leave the room, but I was stopped by Charlie. He put a hand on my shoulder and squeezed, making me look at him as he said "I-I just want you to know that... I'm glad that she has you. You're... a really great kid, Thea."

I sniffed and hugged him tightly, which Charlie instantly returned. Although I wanted nothing more but to stay, I pulled away.

"I'll call you, as soon as I can."

After that, I left the house. The bag weighed even more as I saw Bella already sitting in our truck.

It's all really happening...

I threw my bag inside and started the car, while Bella silently cried beside me. Once I pulled out onto the road, I took her hand in mine.

"We're gonna be okay." I whispered, to which Bella squeezed my hand and nodded.

Still, as we drove away from the house and into the dark woods, I realized that I was not okay. I struggled to change the gear, as my legs and hands shook uncontrollably. That's when Edward suddenly appeared, in the window beside me, startling me.

"Let me, Thea." he whispered gently, to which I nodded, letting him take over as I moved closer to Bella and wrapped my arms around her.

"He's right." Edward added after a moment, making me look back at him "She is very lucky to have you."

I smiled at him, muttering soft "Thank you." when a loud bang echoed through the truck, making both me and Bella jump in fright.

"That's Jasper." Edward explained, calming us down "Alice and Emmett are in the car behind us."

That's when I felt a warm emotion wrap itself around me, almost like a blanket. I smiled to myself, knowing that it was indeed Jasper.

As we left the woodsy part of the road, Bella and I noticed her friends leaving the restaurant. All of them were laughing and joking around. They looked as carefree as all teenagers should.

They looked normal.

And while I never felt or was normal, I knew that Bella always longed to belong, or at the very least blend in. But that wasn't possible anymore, for both of us.

Once we arrived at Cullen's house, Edward immediately took Bella from me and started leading her towards the entrance. All while trying to comfort her. And of course, it didn't take even a minute for Jasper to be at my side as well.

His cold hand was gently touching my back and rubbing it with his thumb. I looked up at him, just to see his worried frown, which I probably mirrored. Still, my heart ached for him and wanting nothing more, but for all of us to just be okay I spoke up.

"We'll be okay."

It wasn't much, but Jasper also deserved to hear those words. And judging by how his shoulders dropped ever so slightly, and his thumb slowed down along my back. I knew that he needed someone to say that to him.

"Yeah, we will..." he responded simply, as I smiled and grabbed his other hand. Kissing the inside of his wrist, right where a long time ago his pulse would be.

Jasper smiled tiredly, and kissed the side of my head in passing, as he started to lead me towards the house.

I knew that he was still blaming himself for what happened, but right now there was nothing more for us to do, but survive.

When we entered the house, instead of finding some sort of brief safe heaven, we found Laurent.

Before I could react, Jasper grabbed me and pulled me behind him, as he growled at the red eyed vampire. Across the room, I noticed Edward also standing protectively in front of Bella, his hand on her arm, as if ready to take her away.

"Jasper, wait!" said Carlisle, seeing that in comparison to Edward, Jasper looked probably more ready to kill, than to get me away.

Although Jasper ignored Carlisle's warning, I didn't. Immediately, I grabbed Jasper's arm tightly and pulled onto it.

"Calm down, Jasper." he glanced at me and relaxed ever so slightly, but still that was better than nothing.

Carlisle sent me a thankful look, before saying "He came to warn us."

"This isn't my fight and I've grown tired of his games." Laurent explained, looking at Jasper every now and then, as if preparing himself for a fight "But he's got unparalleled senses, absolutely lethal. I've never seen anything like that in my three hundred years. And the woman, Victoria. Don't underestimate her."

And with that said he left in peace, leaving all of us tense.

Soon after that, we all gathered in the garage. The air was tense and it was clear that no one was happy. Even Alice looked worried, as she stood beside me, holding my hand and playing with my fingers.

"I've had to fight our kind before." Jasper said in deadly but strangely calm tone, as he and Emmett were looking through the cabinets "We're not easy to kill."

"But not impossible." added Emmett, glancing at me with a reassuring look.

Jasper nodded at him "Yes, we'll rip him apart and burn what's left."

I shivered at the mention of fire and Jasper's tone of voice, I don't think that I've heard him talk like this...

"I don't relish the thought of killing another creature." Carlisle said with a frown "Even a sadistic one like James."

"What if he kills one of us?" Rosalie asked the question that was probably on everyone's mind, in some capacity.

Edward ignored her, instead looking at Jasper as he said "Jasper and I will run Bella and Thea south. And then lead the tracker, away from here."

Carlisle shook his head, saying "No, Edward. James knows you'd never leave Bella, same with Jasper and Thea. He'll follow you both and the girls will be in danger again."

Jasper glared at him arguing "Aren't they already in danger? And now what? You expect me to just leave my Thea, when she needs me? I will never do it, I'm not a coward."

"Jasper—" Carlisle started, but I cut in.

"Jasper. Carlisle is right." he looked at me, looking slightly confused or perhaps betrayed, as I slowly walked closer to him "You and I both know that."

As soon as I was close enough, he grabbed my hand and whispered "I won't lose you. Not when I only just found you."

I smiled a bit, squeezing his hand as I whispered back "I know and you won't. I promise you that."

"I'll take both Thea and Bella south." Alice offered as she looked at both Edward and Jasper.

"And I'll come with them." Emmett added, looking determined "No one will hurt them on my watch."

I smiled at both vampires, feeling lighter and eternally grateful, to have such good friends.

Jasper only nodded at them, still keeping me close. As much as I knew that he must hate the idea of us separating, I feel a little better to have an actual plan to follow now.

"Jasper, why don't you go with Thea to the kitchen, and pack some food for her and Bella." Esme proposed gently, probably sensing that Jasper and I needed some good distraction.

I sent her a smile and tugged on Jasper's hand "Come on. Let's pack those super healthy cereals that you chose." Jasper smiled at my joke and followed without hesitation.

When we reached the kitchen, I let go of Jasper's hand looking for some plastic bags or at least food containers for the snacks. Just as I reached the high cabinet, I was suddenly being picked up and placed on top of the kitchen island.

"Wha—?" I stuttered, staring up at Jasper, as he stood between my legs with his hands gripping the edge of the counter. I turned bright red, seeing Jasper's intense black eyes. He stared for a couple of seconds, before sighing and resting his head on my shoulder, as his honey colored strands tickled my nose.

"Dorothea..." he whispered, his hands coming to wrap around my middle.

I brushed his pretty curls and asked "What is it, honey?"

He chuckled, probably at my pet name, before speaking up again "There's something that I... want from you."

I frowned, my hand stopping briefly in his hair "What? What is it?"

He raised his head slowly, but didn't completely lean away "May I kiss you?" I opened my mouth, the conversation from last night coming back quickly... "I know that I wanted our first kiss to be... special. Or at the very least in a pleasant setting, but... I can't bear the thought of something happening to you. Of us parting so soon after only just finding common ground. I know that I'm being selfish right now, but—"

Before he could continue, I took matters into my own hands. Quite literally, as I pulled his head forward and crocked my head to the side, allowing for our lips to connect. As if on instinct my lips started to move shyly against his cold and unmovable ones. Although, not for long, as very quickly he pushed forwards even more, and one of his hands came to rest against my jaw and cheek.

Our kiss was slow and gentle, it felt so perfect as if we were made for each other. It made me forget about the world around us, it didn't matter that he was a vampire and I a human. Right now it was all about us.

All too soon, I was getting a bit lightheaded from the lack of air and Jasper pulled away. I opened my eyes and met his intense black gaze, still he smiled at me, his tense shoulders growing lax "That was... you're perfect."

I grinned, responding "Then you haven't been looking in the mirror, quite as much as I was at you, angel. Because you're the one who's perfect around here."

He shook his head "Well, perhaps you should take your own advice, Darlin'..." his thumb moved to brush my lips gently, as he continued on staring into my eyes "You are the most beautiful woman that I've come across, in all my years. Both inside and out."

My cheeks burned as I smiled "It's not fair..."

"What is?"

"The way you can so easily make me speechless, with your endless flattery." I responded while still grinning.

Jasper laughed lightly, asking "Would you rather than I stopped?"

I shook my head, giggling "Don't you dare, cowboy." with that I leaned forwards and kissed him again.

We stayed like this for a while, exchanging quick kisses and pecks, before eventually moving and taking the food.

As I filled another bag with some sodas, I handed it to Jasper. Although, as our hands met, I stopped, looking up into his eyes saying.

"We're going to be okay."

Jasper smiled and nodded, echoing back "We're going to be okay."

And somehow, I think that we finally believed that.

As we finally returned to the garage, Alice immediately greeted us and took the food to put it in the car, where Bella was already sitting and talking to Edward through the open window.

I looked back at Jasper and squeezed his hand "I need to go now..." he nodded silently and let go of my hand, as I walked towards the car, letting Edward get me inside and next to Bella.

As we drove away, I knew not to turn around, or it would be only harder for both of us. I didn't want our last look to be like this, or for it to even be the last one...

"We're going to be okay..." I whispered again, making Bella smile and take my hand.

A quick chapter before the final act begins ;)

If you have any question or idea please leave a comment ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

261K 8.2K 23
A boy who would live forever fell in love with a girl who wouldn't last the year. "if i loved you less, i might be able to talk about it more." --- ...
561K 8.1K 24
Aurora Giselle Swan. The adopted daughter of Charlie Swan. She is young, bubbly, oh and the mate of Jasper Hale. When she meets the Cullen family, sh...
111K 3.1K 20
Sequel to "PAIN | Jasper Hale [1]" "Getting over you." Thea's life has been great so far. She has a loving boyfriend, family, friends and she's slowl...
287K 7.4K 22
phos·phenes /ˈfäsfēn/ 𝘯𝘰𝘶𝘯 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐬 𝐨𝐫 "𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐬" 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐬𝐞𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐫𝐮𝐛 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐞𝐲𝐞𝐬. - Summer was the complet...