Bear Brawler (a Sonic OC stor...

Por JediAura

This is the origin of one of my Sonic OCs, Bopper. A story of an underdog who fought his way to true victory... Más

Prologue: Country Road
Chapter 1 The Game of Champions
Chapter 3 Cautionary Coaching
Chapter 4 Worn Out Workout
Chapter 5 Money or Motivation
Chapter 6 Practiced and Persevered

Chapter 2 Newest Recruit

61 5 2
Por JediAura

Bopper's narration

I was headed to Empire City to join the athletes academy in hopes of joining a fighting sport.

What I didn't know was that the rules were going to be bent in my favor.

—————————————————————————

Normal POV

Empire City Bus Stop

Ben steps out and looks around, amazed at the tall skyscrapers and many buildings that filled the place.

A wrestler in a mask waves him over. "Hola amigo!"

Ben waves back. "Howdy!"

The wrestler walks over and shakes his hand. "You must be the friend my cousin said was coming. I have a room prepared for you at my mansion."

Ben shook his head. "You don't have to do that,Bernardo. I saved enough money to get my own apartment."

Bernardo waves his hand in dismissal. "It is the least I can do. You are practically family here, and family comes first."

Ben nods. "Okay then. Whatever floats your boat."

Bernardo asks him as they walk off. "Do you have the papers the academy needs? I can't legally let you in without proof that you are in perfect health."

Ben shows them to him. "Got them here."

Bernardo looks through them before putting them in his own pocket. "Nice work. Just a few more months before you're in your first real match."

Ben smiles. "Alright!"

————————————————————————

Bopper's narration

I got signed in and put in Bernardo's wrestling class for my first semester.

We basically watched Bernardo show how it's done while training for the test, which was a match against a fellow student.

I already knew boxing because of Pa, so I already had a leg up over most students.

We were halfway through the first semester, when the midterm test came.

What we didn't know was that someone was watching us that day.

Someone who saw one of us catch his attention.

—————————————————————————

Normal POV

Athletes Academy

Ben watches as two students tackled each other across the ring, until one of them finally gave in after being pinned on the ground for too long.

After the kids cheered the victor, they both got off as it came time for the next two to be tested.

Bernardo calls out. "Edward and Ben! You're both up next for this one."

Ben walks up with a Mobian bison to the center of the ring, both wearing protective gear for the fight.

Bernardo signals them to start and gets off the mat.

The bison pushes him towards the edge right when it starts, having Ben already hanging on hard for his survival.

Ben rebounds off the ropes and belly bumps the bison across the ring.

The bison was surprised at the change of events in just a split second, but tried to make the bear stumble.

Ben dives for the legs and grabs them as he used the momentum to send him into a trip face first to the ground.

The bison recovers and goes to hit him, but Ben caught it and threw him so hard, he landed outside the ring and into a basket containing sweaty clothes.

He walks out of the ring anyways, not paying attention to all of the wide eyes starring at him.

—————————————————————————

Normal POV (a few minutes earlier)

The bleachers in the gym

A young man wearing a fancy suit was sitting at the top seats, a ring on his fingers with the initials "IBT" written on it.

This was the current owner of the International Brawlers Tournament, Mr McDaniel.

He was here to meet up with an old friend to talk for a bit while watching the athletes compete in a wrestling test.

He sees the president of the school sit beside him. "I never thought I'd get to plan a meeting with you in years. How's the business?"

McDaniel sighs. "Not looking bright for us, Millard. We may have to cancel this coming season."

Millard's smile disappears. "What is it this time? A lack of ticket sales from last season?"

McDaniel shook his head. "Nope. Bernardo got confirmed for cancer and has to get treatment to remove it."

Millard face palms. "Of course that happened."

McDaniel continues. "I tried to search for anyone willing to join, but no ones interested ever since people sent out videos to prove we're staging our matches."

Millard looks at him. "What did you expect? Ever since you started staging it, people only like buying your merchandise."

McDaniel sighs. "Things haven't been the same since Outback left the roaster. The people don't want fake.....they want real matches."

Millard raised an eyebrow. "I doubt you can find a new fighter after the media bashed your entertainment industry. Even if you did, I highly doubt it can just be any new fighter."

McDaniel nods. "Yeah. They want someone fresh and new......and totally unexpected. A new underdog to challenge the big time leagues."

Millard points down to the ring. "Bernardo's guest is coming in. He's a real anomaly I tell ya."

McDaniel asks. "Does he know him?"

Millard nods. "Yeah. His cousin lives in the same town as this bear. He helped around town and his own farm."

They watch the fight start and see the bison look like he has the upper hand for most of the fight.

Just when the bear looked like it was going to get plowed, the bear practically threw the bison out of the ring.

McDaniel and Millard just look in shock with everyone else as the bear just walks out of the ring like it was nothing.

The room was quiet for a while, until Bernardo called the next two fighters up.

Mr McDaniel walked out of the gym and onto a sidewalk, bringing a finger to an earpiece he's wearing.

He calls his assistant. "Hey Ron, is that spot still vacant?"

A voice answered back. "Yeah. Why do you ask?"

McDaniel smiles. "I think I found the perfect fighter to fill in for Bernardo."

—————————————————————————

Bopper's narration

And just like that, I was being set up with a VIP position in the tournament.

All I was doing was practicing for another league, unsure that I was going to make it to top league.

To say I was surprised was an understatement.

————————————————————————

Normal POV

Bernardo's mansion

Ben stares at the letter he got with wide eyes, clear shock on his face.

Bernardo couldn't believe it either, accidentally spilling coffee onto the floor.

Ben asks him. "Is this real?"

Bernardo responds with just as much surprise. "That is their invitation all right. You must be my replacement for this season."

Ben raised an eyebrow. "Why? I thought you were fine?"

Bernardo rubs his neck. "I was confirmed for cancer lately. I am going to get my treatment early in the season."

Ben's eyes widened. "Cancer?! Why didn't you tell me and your family about it?"

Bernardo puts the mug down. "My family does know, it just takes a while for the news to reach Greenwood Falls."

Ben sighs. "I'm not ready for this, Bernardo. I would've if I finished lessons early, but this happened right when I get here."

Bernardo puts a hand on his shoulder. "No amigo, you are more than ready to take on the best."

Ben asks. "What makes you say that?"

Bernardo responds with a smile. "Outback joined probably around your age with only a high school education. You don't get in with smarts, but with skills."

Ben nods and goes back inside,  wondering what the next day would bring.

————————————————————————

Bopper's narration

From that moment on, I was set on giving my A game for Bernardo and my family.

To say everyone was surprised I was brought in would be making it too small.

Most weren't sure if they were supposed to go easy on me......or extremely easy on me.

And I can definitely tell you that McDaniel's female assistant hated my guts.

———————————————————————

Normal POV

IBT Training Facilities

Ben walks with Bernardo downs the many rows of gym equipment that scattered the gym they were in, looking like a big metal version of a baby's mess.

Big and robust guys were occupied on their workouts, but gave the black bear a glance when he came by.

Some female fighters also looked, but more out of curiosity than the brief acknowledgment the guys gave.

Bernardo stands next to a boxing ring. "From what you have told me, your primary fighting style seems to match boxing, and sometimes you match well with wrestling too."

Ben tilts his head. "Primary? You mean I gotta pick a second way to fight too?"

Bernardo nods. "Si. You do not want to be predictable in the arena, or else your opponent will be able to predict your moves before the bell rings. My primary is wrestling, but my secondary is taekwondo."

Ben nods and asks. "Are you going to be my trainer?"

Bernardo shook his head. "No. McDaniel is looking into that, though your options will be limited. This small spar session will establish who you will be assigned."

Ben and Bernardo get into the ring together and get to the center.

Bernardo says after getting his shirt off, "Go full force on me. I can take any damage you can dish out on me."

Ben nods and goes straight for a punch, but Bernardo dodged and did a quick kick in response.

Ben hit the ropes, already struggling with his first IBT spar.

Bernardo tells him. "Think outside the box. You have the entire ring to yourself and me, so mix up your strategy."

Ben gets up and circles around, trying to punch him in the back, but Bernardo just rolls out of the way and chops him halfway across the ring.

Some of the guys chuckle not just at the fact that Ben was getting thrown around the ring, but being beaten by a cancer patient of all things.

Ben starts to lose his focus and runs in, trying to get a simple kick on the side, but Bernardo catches it and flips Ben to the ground before going elbow first on him.

Ben shouts in pain and pushes Bernardo off of him, quickly recovering and finally throwing the gloves off for the match.

Instead of going with one fist, Ben throws both fists at the same time, leaving Bernardo limited time to block at least one before getting pummeled by the other one.

Ben was about to take advantage of the opening, but McDaniel rung the bell nearby, trying to signal them to end the spar so he could talk to them.

Both of them stepped out to meet with him and a young woman who was carrying a clipboard.

McDaniel smiles at Ben. "Good fighting there, kiddo. You had Bernardo on the ropes for a moment there."

Ben feels his head in a little bit of embarrassment. "Thank you sir, but I think Bernardo was dominant one in that match. I was lucky the round ended."

McDaniel elbows him playfully. "Nonsense kid, you had nerves of titanium out there. We just need to get you a couch to harness that unbeatable will of yours."

Ben looks at the woman. "And what's your name, ma'am?"

McDonald answered. "This is one of my advisers and assistants, Vickie. I brought her here to help analyze your performance to find a suitable couch for you."

Ben smiles and stretches his hand out to shake. "Nice to meet ya. My name is Ben Gruff."

Vickie awkwardly shakes it. "Um...nice to meet you too. McDaniel, mind if we have a chat outside?"

McDaniel nods and waves at Ben. "Continue practicing with the equipment. I'll be back after I sort a few things out."

After the two stepped outside, Vickie glares at him. "Are you out of your mind?! You can't put him in there, he's a kid!"

McDaniel sighs. "I know...it's an extremely risky move to recruit him, but he's more than you think at a first look."

Vickie crosses her arms. "This isn't like when your predecessor could just take a kid off the streets and make a icon, this is the modern times now. If you send that cub out there, he's going to get squashed by the seasoned veterans who've had at least 5 years of experience under their belt at minimum."

McDaniel nods. "I'm aware of that, but I saw him take on another student that was probably almost twice his size. If anyone with a descent amount of training could bring in new fans....it's him."

Vickie asks. "You plan on making the matches real? That's going to hurt our sponsorships if you just bring in someone that embarrasses one of their fighters. Why would you risk that?"

McDaniel answered calmly. "People miss those days where a match was purely competitive. While football and basketball gained crowds of fans with real matches, we've been relying on our market to keep the franchise alive since we tried to make our competing brands look good in the ring. We're losing viewers years by year, and it won't be long until we have to shut down...for good this time."

Vickie face palms. "Fine. I'll get this runt a coach. But if this backfires publicly, I will quit and move as far away as I can from this."

McDaniel nods. "I know, and I'll take full responsibility for what happens. If you excuse me, I need to check on the rookie again," he says as he walks away.

————————————————————————

Normal POV

Seaside Hill

Vickie approached a small Mobian laying back in a lounge chair underneath an umbrella, relaxing as the cool breeze blew by the beach they were on.

The Mobian glances up at her. "So what does McDaniel's lackey want from me? If it's a free drink, you'll have to wait until supper."

Vickie tells him with a bland monotone. "Bernardo is getting treated for cancer and needs a replacement."

The Mobian winced mockingly. "Ouch, sorry mate. Bad news for you, these legs are too frail for kicking."

Vickie has no facial change from that remark. "There's already a new replacement up, but that's not why I'm here. He needs a coach."

The small stranger asks sarcastically. "And you think I'm a good teacher? Wow! Who would've thought that the great IBT needed my help?"

Vickie pokes a finger at his nose. "You are not being hired to teach him. This guy could lose to a house of cards without many moves."

The stranger asks. "Then why bother with me if it's that hopeless? You might as well throw him into the ring and let him go running home to his mommy."

Vickie's glare got harder. "Because I need you to discourage him from fighting. Show him how pointless it would be to compete. In a nutshell..."

She then smirks. "... I want you to break him."

—————————————————————————

Been a while since this was updated.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter

If you have any questions please let me know.

See you in the next chapter!

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

4.4K 19 66
So this was originally just gonna be Percy gets trained but ADHD is crazy and gave me so many plot points that I just had to write it like I am, all...
1.4K 23 22
This will be a fanfiction I will be doing of Yu-Gi-Oh! with my OCs, and I will be doing a tournament I don't own anything except for my OCs
4.4K 153 32
{This story takes place after Sonic Forces} While helping clear up debris from the war, one of the badnicks uses its last bit of life to shoot Silver...
403 21 57
The Origin Story of my Original Character(OC), Summer Flare. Topics in this story will range from his mother leaving him after he was born to the fri...