Out of the Woods | ✓

By thaliagrace-

[WATTYS WINNER 2021] ❝I WANT TO BE YOUR OFFSCREEN KISSES TOO.❞ ━ In which Jensen Rhodes wasn't supposed to b... More

cast + synopsis
01 | jensen rhodes is (not) ready for her close up
02 | path of the righteous woman
03 | give me liberty or give me death
04 | welcome to the land of fame excess
05 | takin' care of business
06 | greeks & geeks
07 | racin' her at thunder road
08 | indiana rhodes and the temple of food
09 | i mean funny like i'm clown, like i amuse you?
10 | baby, you'll be famous
11 | sunshine, rainbows, and la vie boheme
12 | double double take
13 | can you love a fool?
14 | what happens in hollywood
15 | it's the great pumpkin, jensen rhodes
16 | fiddle-dee-dee
17 | take me, baby, or leave me
18 | well, i believed in you
19 | california dreamin'
20 | for your eyes only
21 | coat of many colours
22 | may the force be with you
24 | everyone wants to be found
25 | fox on a plane
26 | fame puts you there when things are hollow
27 | rosebud
28 | sleepless in new york
29 | she's all that
30 | lost in new york
31 | risky business
32 | go your own way
33 | almost famous
34 | sweet home vancouver
35 | once upon a time... in hollywood
a.n. | the end?
miles and jensen's infinite watchlist
00.1 | bonus chapter

23 | dirty little secret

1.4K 121 76
By thaliagrace-

Jensen hadn't known it was Christmas until Miles was knocking at her hotel door because they'd agreed to spend the morning together. Miles had shown up in a Santa hat and they watched the first Home Alone movie before going to work. Jensen had found a comfortable spot against his side once again as a gift to herself. Her and Miles had agreed that they weren't going to do Christmas presents moments after Keira had announced their filming schedule. If they'd had to shop for presents, they would've spent less time together and neither of them wanted that. Especially when if they had, it would've meant bustling around busy shopping centres searching for something they might not have found.

            Keira started off the day with an apology that they had to work on Christmas, but she promised they would be done earlier than usual. Jensen assumed that was mainly for Holly's sake, but she appreciated the gesture too. Her days were starting to blend into one another.

            Holly was still Holly. Even on Christmas. Jensen witnessed Miles find that out the hard way.

            "Did you get anything cool from Santa this morning?" Miles had asked.

He'd been actively trying to stay on her good side the entire time they'd been filming. Was it because he wanted a good relationship with the girl playing his daughter? Sure. That's what he would claim to anyone who wasn't Jensen. He mostly did it because he wanted to figure out if Holly's determination was hers or her parents. Miles knew what that felt like.

            "I'm seven years old, Miles," Holly had said. Crossing her arms, in defense mode.

            "Okay..."

            "I know about Santa," Holly said. "My mother got me Michael Caine's Acting In Film."

            "Oh." Miles had nodded his head. "Is that good?"

            "It's great."

            "That's good then."

            "We should run over lines later."

            "Whatever you want, kiddo. Sounds good." Miles had practically sprinted over to Jensen when he was done talking to Holly.

            Jensen and Miles only had a couple scenes together, which meant most of his time was spent trying to avoid Holly and her shop talk. Miles mainly watched when Jensen was filming the scenes on her own. She was filming one of the end scenes, one where her character was in her own shop after winning the game show. Her character didn't feel happy, not really. Because her and Jason, Miles' character, had fallen out before the end of the reality show. Keira had prompted her by saying, "You won. But at what cost?"

            When Jensen was done, Keira said that they could have a half hour break before they filmed the last scenes for the day. It would have been a longer break, but Keira didn't want them staying late on Christmas.

            Miles had found the catering table decorated with various desserts and treats. His back was facing Jensen as she walked up to him. Looking around, Jensen made sure no one was watching when she bumped her hip into Miles'.

            Miles turned in her direction and his face dropped. "What the fuck?"

            Jensen frowned. "Excuse me?"

            It took her a second to realize Miles was looking above her. Over the top of her head. Jensen heard him gulp. "Dad?"

            Jensen turned around and saw a man standing a couple metres away. Shoulder-length grey hair with not a strand out of place, wrinkles etched into his face that somehow still looked soft, a clean shaven face. The silver age of Hollywood oozed from him. Jensen knew who Robert Walker was. She just didn't know how intimidating he was going to be standing in front of her like he owned the place.

"Miles." Robert held his hand out like he was sealing a business deal and not greeting his only son. Only child.

Miles stared at his father's hand like it was radioactive. Eventually Robert got the message that Miles wasn't going anywhere near his hand and pushed it back into his pants pocket. Jensen swallowed hard as she looked between them.

When Miles looked back up, there was no love in his eyes. It was stone cold. Jensen fought the urge to take his hand. "Why are you here?"

"Can't I come see my son?"

"Not that you've tried to in the past," Miles said, "but no."

"I heard you were working on a film."

Miles looked around at the set surrounding the two of them. He crossed his arms. "What tipped you off?"

Robert sighed. "There's really no need to be rude, Miles."

"There's really no need for you to be here, dad."

"I wanted to see what you were working on."

"Then read an Entertainment Weekly. It's been eleven years, I don't need a personal visit."

Robert looked at Jensen with a harsh gaze. She could see where Miles had got his eyes. And she hated how icy Robert's were compared to Miles' ocean waves. Jensen fought the urge to look away. His lips turned into what was possibly supposed to be a smile but looked more half-sneer than anything else. "You must be Miss Rhodes."

Jensen cleared her throat. "Jensen. Yeah."

"Robert Walker," Robert said. "I've seen you in the tabloids with my son."

"Um—"

"Leave Jensen out of this," Miles said. Venom on his tone. There was a deep crease in between his eyebrows. "You need to go. Actually. How the fuck did you get here in the first place? This is a closed set."

"I own this studio."

"No, you don't."

"I do now."

Miles threw a hand up in the air and shook his head. "For fuck's sake, are you serious?"

"This is a business, Miles," Robert said. "It's how it works. Yes, I bought the building."

"So you just happened to buy the studio I was working with?" Miles asked. "While I was working with it? Of course. Sounds about fucking right."

            "Is that beard part of the movie or are you trying to look like a slob, Miles?" Robert asked. "And that tattoo is massive. Are you trying to lower your chances of getting roles?"

            "Oh, wow, I missed this so much."

            "I'm just saying it's not very professional."

            "You need to leave."

            "I own the building," Robert said. "I'll stay as long as I want. We have to talk. And if it means having to come down here while you film, so be it."

            "Where do you get off talking about professionalism before saying something like that?" Miles asked. His fists balled and unballed at his side. "You're going to stalk me until I talk to you? Why didn't you just pick up a fucking phone?"

            "This isn't something that should be discussed over the phone." Robert tapped his foot like he was beginning to get impatient with Miles. Jensen wanted to pull him away but thought that might cause more chaos. Robert gave her a side-eyed glance before looking back to his son. "Or in the company of other people."

            "Send an assistant next time," Miles said. "I'm not talking to you about anything."

            "Miles."

            "If I see you here again, I'm getting a restraining order."

            "You're overreacting." Robert pushed away the sides of his suit jacket to place his hands on his hips. "I just need ten minutes to talk to you. Figure some things out."

            "I'm not a business deal," Miles said. A deathly calm falling over his voice. "Or one of your clients. I'm your son."

            "You think I don't know that?"

            "You really don't want me to answer that," Miles said. He pointed a finger at his father, looking like he was debating pressing it into his chest. "I better come back from break and you better be off the lot. Or I'll call my lawyer."

            "That's unreasonable."

            Miles turned on his heel and stormed away before he said anything else. Jensen assumed that was probably for the better.

            Robert kept his eyes on where Miles had walked out of the building. "If you can, Miss Rhodes, you should talk some sense into my son. He's not thinking straight these days and he needs to think about his future."

            "With all due... well, I don't really want to say respect," Jensen said, not sure where her courage was coming from. "I don't think Miles is the one not thinking straight. And I think if you took a step back from the business side of things, you'd be pretty proud of who he's turned out to be."

            "You don't know my son," Robert said. "And you don't know me."

"Judging by what I've seen here," Jensen started. She was already planning on how she was going to get out of there. Last words were never her thing, but she felt a fire in her chest. "I think I know enough."

            "You don't know anything."

            Jensen shrugged. "Guess I can't talk any sense into him if I don't know anything. You'll have to find someone else to do your dirty work."

            Robert tore his eyes away from where Miles had gone to glare icy daggers at her. "You know, I know what this is. You think that something's going to happen here. With my son." Robert shook his head and crossed his arms. "I recommend you cut your losses while you still can. Break him before he breaks you. It's easier, you know. Less embarrassing for you. Doesn't end up in tabloids this way."

            "I'll decide when I win and lose," Jensen said. "If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go see how your son is doing. Because we both know you're not going to be the one to do it."

            Before Robert could say anything else to Jensen, she headed in the direction Miles had gone. Her head was on a swivel as she looked around, trying to figure out where Miles would be. His trailer? Her trailer? Somewhere Robert would've never looked for him?

            "Miles?" Jensen called as she walked around. Loose rocks on the cement crackled under her boots. The costume department probably wouldn't be happy with her for dusting up their creation, but Jensen had other things on her mind. "Miles?" she called again, poking her head around the side of his trailer.

            Miles had leaned his back against the trailer, a hand tucked between his bicep and rib cage and the other rubbing his temples. He had one leg bent to press against the side too.

            "Hey," Jensen said softly. She walked up to him.

            Miles looked up from the ground to her and Jensen felt her heart sink into her stomach. His cheeks were drenched, tears disappearing into the edge of his stubble. "Hey, Jensen." Miles voice was croaky, hoarse. Like he was trying to hold back more tears.

            Jensen's chest felt tight with the sound of her own name. Rhodes and Jensen were distant. Was Miles too far away for her to even make a difference? She hoped not. "Is there anything I can do?"

"Um—" Miles practically slapped his cheeks dry before a couple stray tears fell. "—sorry for running out of there. Um. It just... you know..." Miles let out a weak chuckle. "I'm not late to be back on set, am I?"

            "No," Jensen said. "Not even close."

            "You know." Miles pinched his nose with his thumb and finger as he took a deep breath in. "It never feels real. Him making random appearances in my life. I mean. I know he's my dad. And all. But... but holy shit, am I just supposed to take that?"

            "You're not."

            "I mean, what did he get from that?" Miles asked. "The satisfaction of watching me yell? Knowing he still has power over me even after all these fucking years? Did he just come here to say Merry Christmas, hope I pissed you off. See you in another eleven years? What the hell was that about, anyway? Showing up at my fucking work. And now he's got me out here crying like some fucking hormonal teenager who doesn't know how to control his feelings."

            "Miles—"

            "You know what he used to say to me when I cried about my mom?"

            Jensen winced. She could only imagine.

            Miles continued before she could muster a response. "He used to say, you want to be a big time actor, you're going to have to shut that kind of shit off. Real tears have no place in Hollywood." Tears were starting to stream down his cheeks again.

Jensen softly wiped them away with her thumb, only to have them replaced with more. "You don't have to justify your feelings to fit his narrative."

            "Try telling him that," Miles said. "I did everything, Jensen. To get his fucking attention. I did everything. I drank, I hung out with shitty people and made myself this terrible public image to see if he'd care if I was on the front page. I crashed the Aston Martin before I got my first DUI. He didn't even blink. He paid off whoever he needed to and that was the last of that. I spent all this time trying get him to pay attention to me and now when I don't want it, he's here." Miles shook his head and stared at the ground. "I don't want to play whatever stupid fucking game he's playing. I don't want to. It's bullshit."

            "You don't have to."

            "Yeah, okay."

            "You don't. Your life isn't his to control."

            "You know I get the studio, right?" Miles asked. "When he retires, I have to drop everything that I want to do and run it with a bunch of people I don't like. And I'm supposed to do it with a smile on my face even though he wins in the end. No matter what I do. If I try to sell stocks, he's got me written into a contract that says I can't do that. If I try to do anything that isn't Robert Walker approved, I get my ass handed to me by one of his lawyers for breach of contract. He got me to sign when I was eighteen. Because he knew I would've done anything to be who he wanted me to be if it meant maybe he'd actually pay attention." Miles sniffled loudly. "My life doesn't feel real sometimes."

            "Hey. Look at me."

            Miles shook his head. His expression was blank. Neutral. Like staring at pavement was mesmerizing.

            "Miles," Jensen said. "Please, look at me."

            He shook his head again. Pressing his lips together as his face scrunched up. Fighting back anything that threatened to come through. Wet anger. Raw sadness. Tears and snot and spit. Miles swallowed hard but didn't say anything.

            Jensen bit her lip gently as she used a finger to softly turn his head toward her. Miles met her eyes. Reluctantly. But he met them. The blue shined through the redness. Brighter than ever.

            "I am real," Jensen said. "I'm right here. In your corner. Focus on me." Miles was focusing a little too hard. Like he was trying to see her through the tears that were building up and it wasn't quite working. "And even if everything else doesn't feel real, I am. Okay?" Jensen took his hand in hers. "This is real. This is now. This is—"

            Jensen was cut off by Miles' lips crashing against hers. She made a noise of surprise as he moved so her back was against the trailer. His hand slid out from hers and rested on her hip, the other hand somewhere above her, leaning on the trailer.

            Jensen was about to pull away when she heard someone's throat clear. Miles pulled away, his eyes wide. Jensen quickly took his hand off her hip before they both turned toward the noise. She kept her hand holding his. If only to reassure him that she was still real.

            "Hi," Holly said. She gave them a little wave. "Keira was looking for you... Miles. And sent me to see if I could find you."

            Miles swallowed hard. He wiped his eyes with his hand quickly. "I'll be right there, Holly. Thanks."

            "Okay." Holly started to walk away but came back. "I'm assuming people don't know about..." She pointed her finger between them. "This."

            "No," Jensen said. "Not really."

            "Oh," Holly said. She knit her fingers together. "Okay."

            "It would be nice to keep it that way," Miles said. "I'll pay you off."

            "That's not..." Holly frowned. The kind of plucky kid frown that said she was kind of offended but didn't want to argue with an adult. "My mother is a gossip," she said instead. "I think that's why she comes to sets with me. But I'm not like her and I don't want to be like that."

            Jensen squeezed Miles' hand tighter than she'd meant to.

            "Okay," Miles said weakly. He trailed off at the end like he was questioning where she was going with her statement.

            "I know I can be a lot," Holly said. "But I wouldn't do that. Sell the story, I mean. It's unprofessional and it's none of my business." She cleared her throat again and shrugged as she looked between Miles and Jensen. "In other words, your secret is safe with me. We're co-stars."

            "That means a lot, Holly," Jensen said. "Thank you."

            "You're going to go far," Miles said.

            "Thanks," Holly said. She kicked at the ground for a moment before looking back up. "Can I ask you a question?"

            "Shoot," Miles said.

            "Does free catering include sour Skittles?" Holly asked. "I mean, I rarely go to the table. But... I've got a craving. And I've done some really good acting when I follow cravings so I don't want to lose it."

            "I don't think our table has it," Miles said. "Sorry."

            "Oh," Holly said. "That's okay. Thank you."

            "Thank you," Miles said. "We'll be right in, okay?"

            "Okay."

            "We can..." Miles started. "Um, run lines. When I get back. Cool?"

            Holly nodded. "Cool." She walked away after she gave both of them small smiles.

            Miles took a deep breath in as he looked back to Jensen. "I'm sorry. I just..."

            "Needed to feel real?"

            Miles nodded. "I should've asked. And... not done it outside."

            "It's okay," Jensen said. "Do you feel any better?"

            "Not really," Miles said. "But, you know." He sniffled and motioned to his face with his free hand. "Maybe Devyn won't kill me for messing this up if she knows I cried."

            "I'm sure she won't be upset."

            "Can I... Could you..." Miles played with Jensen's fingers absentmindedly. "Make sure he's not there? While I get this fixed?"

            "I, um," Jensen said. "If he is here, it won't be good. I might've... you know..."

            "What?"

            "Told him to... fuck off..." Jensen said. Quietly. Because she didn't really want to admit to it. She tucked a few curls behind her ears. "Politely."

            Miles laughed. Genuine. Throaty. Like he was thrilled. Eyes crinkled, head tilted back. He pressed a kiss to her forehead. "I didn't think I could like you more, Rhodes."

            "Is there anything I can do to make this better?" Jensen didn't like the deflection game. She didn't like the idea of Miles hiding his feelings when she was more than willing to listen.

            "I'll be fine. And that's okay with me," Miles said. "I gotta find Devyn."

            "I'll check and see if... he's there. And I'll text you."

            Miles nodded. "Thank you."

            "I can run lines with Holly if you take longer than expected."

            Miles smiled softly. "I'm going to buy that kid an industrial sized bag of Skittles."

            Jensen let out a small laugh. "I'll split the cost with you."

*

[ a.n. ] introducing Kurt Russell as Robert Walker. the cast list has been updated with him and a new faceclaim for Grace! also, if you haven't checked it out, there's a new trailer in the cast chapter as well—so check that out! it's stunning. ❤️

jordin

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

517K 11.1K 37
| 𝟭𝟲𝘅 𝗙𝗘𝗔𝗧𝗨𝗥𝗘𝗗 · [EDITORS' CHOICE -- NOVEMBER 2020] [ONC 2020 Winner] Two strangers on separate trains, divided by uncaring glass. A bond...
285K 9.3K 54
(#1 OF THE SHAPED TRILOGY) Completed March 25th, 2021 ⚠️WARNING MATURE SCENE (16+)⚠️ A STEAMY ARRANGE LOVE ROMANCE. Most Impressive Rating. Rated #1...
205K 5.1K 35
Hailey Baxter signed a marriage contract with Xavier Anderson, billionaire of Anderson Inc, as she needed money to pay for her mother's hospital bill...
475K 12.3K 65
Julie and her twin sister Dahlia couldn't be anymore different. Where Julie was a total momma's girl in love with music, Dahlia followed her dad arou...