Bear Brawler (a Sonic OC stor...

By JediAura

This is the origin of one of my Sonic OCs, Bopper. A story of an underdog who fought his way to true victory... More

Prologue: Country Road
Chapter 2 Newest Recruit
Chapter 3 Cautionary Coaching
Chapter 4 Worn Out Workout
Chapter 5 Money or Motivation
Chapter 6 Practiced and Persevered

Chapter 1 The Game of Champions

75 7 5
By JediAura

Bopper's narration

While I did have a good life at Greenwood Falls, I always felt there was more to my life than living as a farmer for my life there.

There was a hunger and desire inside me to go beyond the mountains and make my own future.

I was usually shy to tell Pa this because I thought he'd want me to stay home and keep the farm going until he died.

Little did I know...he wanted something different from me.

————————————————————————

Normal POV (Bopper's age: 10 years old)

Gruff Farm

Ben sat down next to George after a long day of work, relaxing on the wooden porch of the house.

George wiped his head with his handkerchief. "Nice work today, son. With the way the field's growin', we'll have plenty of food for the next harvest season."

Ben fans himself a little. "Thanks Pa."

George looks at him. "Mind if I ask ya somethin' Ben?"

Ben looks at him, worried he might be in trouble. "Did I do something wrong?"

George pats his head. "No... I just wanna have a heart to heart with you."

Ben nods and waits to hear the question.

George sighs. "I know it's too early to ask, but I thought I put my help when I can. What do you want to do when you grow up?"

Ben was surprised by the answer. "I thought I'd was gonna work the fields with you?"

George shook his head. "I may want ya to stay and keep family tradition going, but I know you'll grow up one day to be your own man one day. Bears don't stay with the parents forever, because we grow up to leave them and hunt our own food."

Ben just stays quiet and let's him continue.

George points a finger at his chest. "Even if I pass before you get what you needed, I'll always be watching you here."

Ben asks. "You want me to follow my dreams?"

George shook his head. "Not exactly..."

Ben frowns at this response, confused at what sounded like a 180 turn on the choice.

George chuckles and pats his shoulder. "I ain't saying I won't help ya with your future, but I'm saying don't make it your dreams."

Ben tilts his head. "What do ya mean?"

George answers. "I want you to follow your instincts, not your dreams and passions."

Ben breathes out in relief, but still curious what he meant.

George responds to his confusion. "Sometimes, your dreams and desires ain't what you want or need. When I was your age, I wanted to be a cowboy like your grandpa, but I realized after he almost got killed once that I might not really want to do it."

He then smiles at him. "I found out what I really wanted all along was to have a farm and raise you and your brother."

Ben giggles as his dad pets his head some.

George looks directly at Ben's eyes. "Never tell yourself it's impossible to get where you really belong. Dreams and passions can end.....but willpower and hidden skills don't. Remember that son."

—————————————————————————

Bopper's narration

From there on out, I worked and studied hard so I could find where I my skills were needed.

Sad to say, my determination always hit a dead end whenever I picked something I thought I wanted.

I know I was too young at the time to work, but that didn't mean I couldn't get paid a few rings for doing something like bringing water or cleaning a room up.

I worked at Carlos' Cantina to see if I wanted to try cooking as a career, but I felt that was just making me hungry. And it felt way too delicate when it came down to it.

I tried working at the coal mine, but that didn't feel fun at all.

I was bored out of my mind when I tried to help the mayor and the secretary in the office.

I knew police work was gonna be too much for me to take, not to mention fire department career didn't have much to do here.

The longest job I had coming into my teen years was working at Quincy's General Store, where my strength helped move heavy loads into the store.

I felt like I wasn't gonna find anything, then I would have to tell my Pa that I was staying at the farm anyways.

But then...life sparked something in me for the first time.....a goal and an inspiration to do it.

I forgot to mention that around the time I was 10, rich families started building homes in Greenwood Falls.

City life can get stressful for most people, so moving out in the mountains seems relaxing.

It's hilarious to think about snobby people walking around and freaking out over the nearest bug in sight.

But these wealthy people weren't a joke for me and my family.

They gave my family the bad end of the stick for most of their time here, and it makes me ball my fists every time I think about it.

A moment with two spoiled people set me up with a drive to do something.

————————————————————————

Normal POV

Gruff Farm

George was with Ben at the stand selling food to anyone who came.

Ben spots two girls approaching the stand after a long walks.

They were both wearing colorful t-shirts and short shorts, paired with one wearing flip flops and the other wearing tennis shoes.

Obviously, their parents must be really rich to afford to let their daughters walk out in public with stuff like that.

Ben also saw them holding hands together, which he guessed meant they were a lesbian couple.

George kindly welcomes them. "Mornin' ladies! What do ya want to buy from us?"

One of the girls asks. "How much are the apples?"

George smiles. "One ring each. All of them grown from our orchard."

The other girl asks. "Can we have a taste test to see if they're good before we buy?"

George and Ben were suddenly confused, not sure why they would ask that.

Were city folk that paranoid?

George shook his head. "Sorry ma'am, but you have to pay to eat it. I don't want our goods wasted because you didn't want it."

The first girl scoffed at him. "Oh please, it'll just be one bite."

George tries to remain polite. "I'm sorry again ma'am, but I can't let you have any if you want to bite before you buy."

The second girl tried to pry him out of it. "Please, we'll pay back twice as much if you let us."

George kept his foot down. "Nope. That may sound nice to you, but I want every payment people give be worth it. You're just gonna have to try someone else."

The first girl glares at him. "Whatever! Let's just go."

Ben did not like how rude they were to his father, but what he saw next took it further.

He spotted two apples in their hands as they tried to sneak away without them knowing.

Ben tugged George's sleeve and points in their direction.

George gets out from behind the stand and runs over to them. "Hey! Stop! You can't just take my food without paying!"

The second girl turns around and whips out a cellphone. "Oh really?"

George crosses his arms. "If you're gonna call the sheriff, you're just pulling yourself to jail. I'm friends with him, and he knows a thief when he sees one. I don't care who you think you are, but this attitude won't fly around here!"

The second girl smirks. "I'm not going to call the cops, I'm going to talk about you on Facepage."

Ben and George were confused again, obviously never being told about social media.

The first girl answered their confusion. "Social media is where you share things with each other. Mostly info, pictures and other stuff you're too stupid to know."

The second puts a finger to her phone. "All I have to do is tell about you not selling to other people like....gay people and everyone won't buy from you anymore."

George backs up, showing Ben a clear sign that the tables have turned against them.

The first girl smirks. "If you let us get food for free all the time, we won't ruin your reputation to the rest of the world. Deal?"

George mutters after uncurling his fist. "Fine...."

The two girls walk off after that scene, while George just trudges back to the stand.

Ben was super angry and was about to walk out to fight them, but was stopped by George.

He sighs and tells Ben. "Just....let it go son..."

—————————————————————————

Bopper's narration

I know that story sounds weird, but I know you've seen stupid people before.

Pa could've gotten them arrested for theft, but he also could tell the girls weren't bluffing either.

It wasn't that we hated gays and lesbians, but we hated the people who hid behind stuff like that as if they were a victim of a villain.

It was strange and humiliating to see Pa, a large and incredibly strong bear, get pushed around by two little girls who thought they had the world on their side.

With the changing times outside my hometown, it felt like anyone who had a phone and a social media account had the power of a king or a president.

Anyone could get what they wanted, as long as they cried and yelled loud enough for everyone to hear.

At least that was what half of the world was acting like.

But either way, that moment had pumped me up with a new determination I didn't have earlier.

I wanted to show those who thought they were untouchable that they weren't.

To knock everyone off guard to the fact that no one is invincible.

This wish woke up whatever skill I had to go after my goal.

Turns out, my childhood was going to become reality in the biggest way possible.

—————————————————————————

Normal POV

Quincy's General Store

Ben had just finished unloading some items from a truck that just pulled up.

He then heard the sound of the truck trying to take off, but saw it was stuck in a large mud puddle.

Ben runs to the driver to get him to stop. "Your stuck in the mud that's formed in a pothole. We'll have to pull it out."

Quincy walks over and sighs. "Han is too busy with a bunch of rich family cars to come tow you."

The truck driver groans. "I'm gonna get fired if I come back late again."

Ben felt sorry for the driver, not wanting him to go through something like this to happen.

He tells the driver. "Get out, I'm gonna try something."

The truck driver steps out as Ben got to the end where the truck was stuck.

Ben lifts it with all he has, trying to get it up slightly so he could push it out.

Quincy and the truck driver look in awe as a small bear managed to move the truck a few feet before dropping it once it was clear of the pothole.

The truck driver looks at Quincy. "What kind of sandwiches were they feeding that bear?"

Quincy chuckles. "You'll have to ask his mother that."

The truck driver asks. "You sure he doesn't have powers? No bear can lift a car just like that."

Ben walks over and rests a little against a wall. "It ain't that special. Pa could do it just as easy."

The truck driver grins. "You should try out for the IBT. You'd win tons of matches, and you might even make it to the semifinals."

Ben sighs. "Don't think I could, you have to be a real pro to get in. I wouldn't even make it past the first match."

Quincy walks over and pats his back. "Who knows Ben, it's worth a try. Me and Catherine would root for you."

Ben thinks about it as the driver gets back in the truck and takes off.

—————————————————————————

Bopper's narration

And just like that, something springs up inside me, as if an answer just fell out of the sky.

For those on Mobius who don't watch sports, the IBT is the biggest fighting tournament on the planet.

It's full name is the International Brawling Tournament, or IBT for short.

The rules of the tournament are simple.

Rule 1) Don't kill or severely injure your opponent.

Rule 2) Don't use powers unless they can legally count. (Speed, super strength and high jumps)

Rule 3) No weapons or steroids

That's about it! Anything else goes!

Want to fight with ninjutsu or Kung fu?

Help yourself to it!

Want to keep the fight going outside the area?

Go ahead! Nobody cares!

Feel like body slamming your opponent from the Jumbotron?

Knock yourself out!

I spent my childhood watching their matches on television at Carlos' Cantina.

Whenever I had a day off, I sometimes visited the my next door neighbor's son to play with action figures or play their video game, IBT Hardcore.

Usually there's around 50 players in the male roster.

If you count the female roster, all of them together count up to almost 100.

I say almost because it's hard to get 50 or more women interested in fighting.

Everyone had their one favorite, but I had a gallery of 6 fighters that I treasured watching them compete.

There was Toro Tauro, the male fighter who is rumored to be a descendant of the legendary Minotaur.

Valkyrie, the female warrior who had the aggressiveness of tiger and the discipline of a samurai.

Roxanne Rivet, the female fighter who could study your moves and read your next action like a book.

Josh Caesar, the frequent champ before I was born.

Gravedigger, the embodiment of death itself in the tournament.

But my favorite was the true underdog turned legend of the tournament.

Outback.

A Mobian kangaroo with the guts to fight like a madman.

There's a myth that he was brought in at the age of 12 when the CEO saw him take down two Mobian elephants who tried to kidnap him.

The CEO at the time, Mr. Quake, hired him on the spot to compete.

Since then, Outback has made the world record of 32  winning titles!

No one ever knows if Outback has ever lost a match, but he stopped competing out of nowhere one day.

I used to think IBT was just gonna be that thing I liked as a kid and move on from it when I got older.

But the idea started to fit the more I thought about?

Was the tournament really my purpose in life?

Was Aurora telling me to go there for a reason?

I decided to talk with Pa about it.

—————————————————————————

Normal POV

Gruff Farm

Ben walks to the house, tired from work and a little nervous about what him and his father were about.

George looks at him with concern. "You ok, son? You look more fidgety than Mrs. Nancy's Chao in the winter."

Ben nods a little. "Yeah...I came to tell you... I know what I want to do for my career."

George walks over to him. "Why's it got you all nervous for?"

Ben sighed. "I.... I want to try competing in fighting sports."

George looks at him with understanding why he felt nervous for it. "You're worried your mama might get upset with you leaving?"

Ben nods. "Yeah. I know it's not the easiest life ever, but I keep feeling like I might enjoy it."

George pats him on the shoulder. "Nothing good ever comes easy. Your mama might miss you, but we both know you will be ok."

He then goes towards the field. "Why don't we get to work on those muscles more? The academy won't let you in if you don't show effort."

Ben follows him, smiling at his dad willing to prepare him for his future.

—————————————————————————

Bopper's narration

And just like that, I started the race against time to get ready for the my career.

Everyone I knew supported me on my goal.

Quincy paid me twice as much to help with the loads I carried in and out of the stores.

Catherine got me carrying several buckets of water up and down the hill where her flowers were.

Carlos let me try out punching ribs at the butcher shop his uncle owns.

David gave me tasks at the church and often prayed for me.

I carried Mrs. Nancy's groceries the whole mile to her house.

My birth family and the family I had in the town encouraged me the best they could.

After saving money for years, I finally had enough to buy an apartment, a bus ticket and some left over to buy food and bathroom stuff.

My goal was to go to the athletic academy in Empire City and train more until I get accepted into a league.

My sights were set for something like lightweight or heavy boxing.

If I couldn't get that, I'd try college football or rugby.

The town was there to see me off as I left to follow my goals.

——————————————————————————

Normal POV (Bopper's age: 14 years old)

Greenwood Falls Bus Stop

Ben was with everyone as they were about to say their farewells.

Carlos pats him on the back. "I'll be visiting you soon. My cousin works at the academy and is one the IBT fighters."

Ben smiles. "Really? I didn't know you had family in the tournament."

Carlos grins. "He is a libre there. If you can't get a place to stay, he'll let you stay at his manor."

Mrs Nancy gives Ben a hug. "Now be careful out there young man. You don't want your mother and me praying constantly."

Ben chuckles. "I'll be careful, Mrs Nancy."

Catherine walks up to him. "Be sure to send some pictures or postcards while you're gone. I wanna know what you've been up to."

Ben nods. "I will."

David smiles at him. "I will keep praying for you and hope that you bring your best."

Ben grins. "Thanks, I could use some help from heaven."

The secretary gives him some papers. "These are the papers to show the academy. I also got some good locations where hotels are and a few gyms."

Ben chuckles at her over preparing him before putting them in his pack. "Thank you Isabelle."

The mayor walks up to him. "I hope you do good out there. It'll be a lot of work for you, but I know you'll get there."

Ben smiles at him and nods. "Thanks mayor."

He then goes to his parents and brother.

Ben's brother was able to walk over to him and hug his legs. "Benny!"

Ben kneels down and hugs back. "Aww, thanks bro. I'll come back to celebrate Christmas with you soon."

His brother giggles before George picked him up.

Gine walks over to him and hugs him hard. "No matter where you go, you'll always be my little cub."

Ben tears up with her and hugs back. "I love you mama."

Ben lets go of her as George comes to him.

George smiles. "Go make us proud, Ben."

Ben smiles back. "Thanks Pa."

He walks to the ticket booth to purchase a ride to Empire City.

He counted every ring he had...

...only to come two rings short.

Ben frowns and lowers his head in disappointment, feeling he had already failed.

All of the hard work was for nothing.

He was about to leave, when he saw a hand put two rings on the counter.

It was Jeb.

The person selling tickets said to Jeb. "That's not enough to make a trip, sir."

Jeb shook his head. "This ain't for me, it's for that boy."

Ben looks at Jeb in shock. Those two rings must've been from Jeb's savings!

Ben asks him. "Jeb, what are you doing?"

Jeb grabs Ben's ticket. "I wanna make a promise between us."

He walks over to Ben and points to Mount Rockefeller, the largest mountain in the area. "See that mountain over there? I made a promise to a friend years ago that I was gonna climb it."

Jeb looks at Ben. "How bout' this sonny? You go win one of them championships, while I get to the top of that there mountain? Promise?"

Ben smiles and shakes his hand. "Promise. I owe you Jeb."

Jeb chuckles. "Oh shucks sonny, just go have fun out there while winning. I'll be here to tell you I climbed that mountain when you get here."

Ben nods and walks into bus as it arrives.

He tears up again he waves back at everyone while the bus leaves town minutes later.

—————————————————————————

Bopper's narration

My adventure had began, and I was ready to go out there.

What I didn't expect was for everything else to change once I got off the bus.

——————————————————————————

Sorry for the long wait, I wanted to put as much into it as I could.

If you have questions, ask away.

Hope you enjoy the next chapter later

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

133 0 9
My new origin story of Cyo from birth to the cyborg he is today. OC's belongs to me Officials to SEGA
1K 10 15
Espio comes across a maroon chameleon, who is training to be a ninja to fight for what's right. When she asks him to have a friendly-duel as she thin...
299 7 7
One shots of my ocs from my roleplays. Just for fun and for practice
1.5K 7 14
This is the story of a young, heroic, blue hedgehog named Sonic and how he became a hero.(I apologize to all readers because this story does not foll...