Rebellious Angel

By Angie8177

It all began with a promise While his good friend lay in his arms dying, the last words that came from his li... More

To my readers
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
*~*~*Epilogue*~*~*
Thank You

Chapter 9

35K 1.5K 84
By Angie8177

Above is a photo of what Haroun would look like.

*~*~*~*~
Weary confused eyes watched as the tall muscular warrior paced before them. The meek adolescent male voice cleared his throat before asking his question.

"Are you saying M'lord we are to mock fight with a girl?" Jacob asked.

Standing before him, Gavins stern eyes made him back up an inch into young Ian behind him.

"She is not just any girl, she is quick and agile but none the less very cunning." He spun and continued pacing.

Eyeing each young boy before him.

"Some of you may know her," he paused.

"she is young Lady Brienna the late Lord Hugh's one and only daughter and heir to Forsythe Castle," He bellowed so the last boy down the long line could hear him.

Gasps and worried looks glanced at eachother. Smiling to his self he looked down and thought for a moment.
Yes,they knew her most definetly

"Aye, from what poor Wendell told us, she is not one to upset,"

Came one voice

"I heard she nearly shoved Daniel into the moat just for calling her pretty,"

"And she threatened to mame poor Lawrence," Another confessed.

Amusement looked back at him as he turned to look at Haroun and his other men who were snickering.

"Well in the morning she will be joining all of you in training,"

Hushed murmurs and side glances looked his way.

"But, she will be your target,"

Silently he watched the worried glances and those close to him turn pale their complexion boarding a slight greenish tint.

He shook his head blowing out a deep breath then he continued.

"During this particular training you will show her no mercy," He stopped to look at them.

His stern gaze changed to a warning glare.

"But, I must warn you..none of you are to impact any physical harm to her body,"

Silently he stood for a while as one or two of them looked at eachother.

"So that we are clear M'lord, we are to spar with her but, not bruise or harm her." Ian questioned looking up at Gavins tall form that towered over him.

"Aye, although I know that it is inevitable you must restrain from seriously injuring her, the objective is to bruise her ego.... only," he warned.

Now that it all made sense they all sighed in agreement.

Quickly Haroun spoke up and joined Gavins side.

"But remember we go by the code of chivalry, respect and to honor young woman and in no way or form  this is acceptable outside of training. This my lads is only one time," Narrowing slits of steel eyed Haroun.

Turning to them Gavin agreed.

After a while of belting out more instructions he dismissed everyone.

Turning to walk out the bailey, he could see Haroun leaning against a post.

Ignoring the disappointing look on  his friends face, he walked passed him.

"What are you thinking,Gavin?"

Not answering him Gavin continued walking.

"Nothing good can come of this." He shouted.

******

The loud thud of her bedroom door scared her out of her sleep. Sitting bolt up right still dazed she watched as Gavin neared the bed and tossed a bulk of clothing on her lap and dropped a pair of boots at her bedside.

The low lit dawn light gave little for her to see.

In a low emotionless tone Gavin ordered her to get dressed and to meet him in the bailey yard immediately.

Today she began her training.

Confusion creased her brow as she looked up at him. Trying to find the words to clarify his order,he spun on his heel and walked out leaving her sitting there.

Was this true?

Or a dream?

She frowned looking down at the bundle of clothing in her lap.

With a brief painful pinch of her wrist she gasped.
It wasnt a dream...

Her heart leaped in her chest as she scrambled off the bed and began to dress. Sitting on the floor she pulled on the boots. In a fast gaze and amusement they fit her like a glove.

Standing up fast she ran out into the corridor down the stairs into  the greathall.

Readying her self she breathed in deep walking out the doors to the courtyard.

The brisk morning dew touched her face. The dawn lit sun slowly rose above the wall.

In deep thought unaware of the startled glances of the few town folk that walked around she continued on towards the bailey yard.

Walking in quickly to halt, she stood in her tracks with surprise at what was before her.

More than a dozen eyes landed on her. The worst feeling creeped up her stomach.

Looking into Gavins expressionless eyes made her feel even worse. Quickly he ordered her to get in line.

So training can begin.

******

"Again" the shout vibrated through out the bailey yard.

Hooded eyes watched each and everyone of them as they lunged and swiped their swords at their opponent.

The meek battle cries of young boys rang high as they repeated their steps once again.

Tired and sweaty heavy breathing came from one or the other.

Ever so often he glanced at the tiny figure in the distance that twirled and fought back her opponent.

The slight twinge of surprise rose in him as he watched her hold her own.

The full attention of his men watching was proof enough of that surprise to see her still moving about.

"Hugh trained her well" Haroun stood beside him observing.

With a slight smirk he nodded a bit prideful that she could defend  her self a bit.

"Aye, he did," he agreed not taking his eyes off of them.

The days heat was hard on them all as some bowed out early to sit and watch their remaining companions train.

The bailey grew quiet as the remaining trainers grew short. All eyes in awe were on the swift figure with long black hair that moved with such ease.

He noticed the gleam in her eyes, her expression with her moves. Confidence, pride and a fearlessness to her stance.

It worried him.

A surge in his heart rose as he watched her spin quickly away from Harold and Jefferys attack. All grew silent watching their latest attempt at taking her down.

She ducked at Jefferys swipe over her head. Only to catch Harolds sneak attack from behind.

Agility was her only ally. And it was on her side. She gasped for air with every move trying her best to keep steady. Her arms burned and her legs were throbbing but she refused to give up.

Her two opponents had no mercy on her. They barreled down on her with such strength she could not match but only to be swift so she does not lose. From all sides they attacked and deep down inside she knew she could not hold her ground any longer.

They had finally cornered her towards the posts on the far wall.

The gritting moment came when finally Harold landed the final blow. Falling back she landed hard on her rump that it took the breath out of her. For the silent second she layed there in defeat she sucked in a gulp of air as he put his foot on her chest to pin her down.

With that final blow the bailey yard vibrated with all of the boys hoots and hurrahs. Swords clinked and clammered while others clapped in cheer.

In shock she lay there while they continued to celebrate.

*****

Sheer will held him back from running to see how she was at that moment. He watched as Harold took the final blow. The soft whimper beneath her breath as she went down caught his attention. He slowly walked towards her in the middle of the merriment. He knelt beside her and held out his hand to pull her to her feet. Slowly she sat up, and stood on her own. Hurt and embarrassed she walked with her head lowered. Her heart thumped in her ears with so much anger of being defeated she didnt hear Gavin walking behind her or softly calling her name. Hugging herself she held in her tears until she reached the inner courtyard. Speeding up her pace she continued into the greathall towards the stairs to her chamber. Slamming the door to her chamber sliding the lock home she shut everyone out.

That evening at supper she didnt come down to eat. With various attempts Alice and Marguerite could not get her to open the door. She sat in the darkness of her chamber and wept. Sitting on the window seat she burrowed further down into the cushion and dozed off.

After a couple of hours Gavin trudged up the stairs as well. He felt horrible and prayed that the couple of cups of wine would numb his miserable feeling. Not even the company of one of the willing servant girls would have made a difference. Slowly shutting the door behind him he walked over to his bed fumbling in the dark. Feeling the affects of the wine without removing his clothes like a tree trunk he fell face forward across his bed.

*******

The talking of a maidservant outside  her door in the early morning woke her. After her short sleep she was up part of the night tossing and turning.

Stepping down from the bed she could hear them through the door.

"Aye, I tell you. Harold landed the final blow." One midservant explained.

"I heard young Ian tell his da t'was M'lords order to have no mercy on her, the poor lass was in such a stuper she went to bed without supper."

The conversation quickened her heart.

Gavin planned it all along.

"He and those jack daws are going to pay," she fumed dashing away a tear.

Some while after they had left she she dressed and  slid on her boots.

With a swiftness she swung open her door and bolted out of her room in such speed. Blinded with rage, she did not see Naan or the rest of the men sitting in the hall eating breakfast.

Walking across the courtyard she headed towards the bailey. In seconds, she was through the posts standing there. Looking at the suprised gazes that stopped in mid practice. Gavin was no where around. Just Haroun.

He stood and watched as she slowly walked in and confronted the bunch.

Slowly she dragged out the long sword from her side. The gleaming steel in position while her arm stretched out and she crooked her finger to Harold come closer.

Slight snicker and side glances were unsure of what to do. But the foolish one infront of them lunged forward with a cry and engaged in battle.

"M'lord, arent you going to stop her?" The worried stare of young Gregory asked Haroun.

Silently with the  no answer he watched observantly with crossed arms as six against one unfolded.

Her quick moves were not the same as yesterday. The sword danced in her hands with ease. Stealth and agility was not the only thing she held back yesterday. Pure furry drove her moves and it had all in awe. Like a feral hellcat green eyes flashed in the sunlight as she swiped and took down her last opponent.

Slowly she looked up to the rest that stood dumbfounded. All scattered out of her way leaving Harold to face her alone.

The tall older boy slightly was taller than her. Narrow blue eyes stared at hers and stood his ground. With a boyish smile that had no affect on her he came dangerously close.

"What! you think you can beat me as  you did those soft blokes?."

Silently she stood emotionless to his taunts.

"You think a wee puny lass like you would have learned ye lesson,"

Slowly in playful guffaw he stood before her.

"Come now pet lets call this a truce and we can escape to the woods.  I have a special sword I can show you. Mayhap if your good you can play with it," He seductively whispered.

Reaching his hand up he caressed a strand of her braid.

Hungry blue eyes stared at her breast. Or what hid under her tunic.

Slowly she reached for his hand before they traveled any lower.

In a blink of an eye, the crackling and pop of his fingers in her twisted grasp had him on his knees howling and begging for her to let go.

Icy green eyes moved in very close that her nose brushed his.

"Tis only because of sheer luck,  your friends are not fishing your bloated body out of the moat and prying my blade from it right now," She hissed between clenched teeth.

Slowly standing up right she shoved him aside. Sprawled out before her on the floor she stepped on  him and walked off.

*****

Afters seeing the squires scurry one by one out of the bailey yard, he quickly walked over to see what was wrong.

He watched in shock as the petite figure with billowing shiney black hair fought with such finesse.

Walking towards Haroun he stood as well and watched her with speed take them all down.

"Hugh taught her very, very  well" Haroun gave a wide grin.

A slight smile crept up on his lips as she faced Harold.

Knowing his reputation he knew from the look on his face he would loose. Brienna quickly grabbed his fingers and twisted them sending him to his knees before her.

"I pitty the man that tries to woo her." Young Gregory spoke in a shaky voice.

Turning she walked off in their direction. Standing before him with a quick thwang her sword was slammed into the dirt between his feet.

Breathing in swifly he inched back and frowned at her. It was inches at his toes.

Her voice cracked beneath the urge to cry but she refused to drop one  tear for them to see.

"I dont like to be mocked and made a fool," Lowering her head she brushed passed him and walked off.

Before he could go after her Haroun held his arm.

"Let her be."

With a frustrated breath he stood and watched her disappear into the greathall.

What was he to do with her? He questioned himself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

95.5K 7.9K 32
Picked for the WattVamps February Showcase & now a Wattpad Dark Fantasy featured story! The Risen Series - Book 1 Rebellion I've been a cardholding...
241K 6.3K 59
"You're in my territory now, princess, and you'll abide by my rules. Is that clear?" he whispered in my ear as he backed me against the wall, his han...
Chattan Bride By Maria York

Historical Fiction

4.2K 258 29
READERS' FAVORITE FIVE STAR AWARD WINNER - As the daughter of a strong English baron, Isabel is compelled by peace negotiations to become the child-b...
56.9K 2.9K 82
Damsels aren't supposed to wield swords, especially ancient swords that will have the blood of thousands spilled across it. ✵✵✵✵✵ Deep in the mountai...