The Boy in the Woods (2014 Wa...

By KatherineArlene

A newly expanded and professionally edited version of the Boy in the Woods is now available for sale as an eb... More

A Brief Word
Chapter 1 - Jess
Chapter 2 - On the Street Where You Live
Chapter 3 - Tears On My Pillow
Chapter 4 - Lonesome Town
Chapter 5 - Lonely Boy
Chapter 6 - Maybe
Chapter 7 - It's Just a Matter of Time
Chapter 8 - Hearts Made of Stone
Chapter 9 - Don't Be Cruel
Chapter 10 - One Summer Night
Chapter 11 - Problems
Chapter 12 - Twilight Time
Chapter 13 - I Got a Feeling
Chapter 14 - School Day (Ring! Ring! Goes the Bell)
Chapter 15 - Why
Chapter 16 - Alone With You
Chapter 17 - Who's Sorry Now?
Chapter 18 - It's Not For Me To Say
Chapter 19 - What a Difference a Day Makes
Chapter 20 - Silhouettes
Chapter 21 - You Send Me
Chapter 22 - The Secret of Christmas
Chapter 23 - Gonna Give Myself a Party
Chapter 24 - Let's Start the New Year Right
Chapter 25 - My Happiness
Chapter 26 - Am I Losing You
Chapter 27 - It's Time to Cry
Chapter 28 - Heartaches by the Number
Chapter 29 - Don't You Know
Chapter 30 - Here Comes Summer
Chapter 31 - Five Feet High and Rising
Chapter 32 - Tell Him No
Chapter 33 - Arrivederci
Chapter 34 - He'll Have to Go
Chapter 35 - Sixteen Candles
Chapter 36 - Come Go With Me
Chapter 37 - Somebody's Back in Town
Chapter 38 - Put Your Head on My Shoulder
Chapter 39 - Wishful Thinking
Chapter 40 - The One You Slip Around With
Chapter 41 - The Twist
Chapter 42 - Only the Lonely (Know the Way I Feel)
Chapter 43 - It's Now or Never
Chapter 44 - Swingin' School
Chapter 45 - Where the Boys Are
Chapter 46 - Run To Him
Chapter 47 - Surrender
Chapter 48 - Take Good Care of My Baby
Chapter 49 - I'm Sorry
Chapter 50 - I Fall To Pieces
Chapter 51 - Town Without Pity
Chapter 52 - Let's Twist Again
Chapter 54 - Don't Break the Heart That Loves You
Epilogue - God Only Knows
This Is Not the End - Jonathon's Story is Finished!
Exciting News about The Boy in the Woods!
Finding Marty
My Writing Process and The Boy in the Woods
Buy the Published Version of The Boy in the Woods!
A Paperback Version? Yes!

Chapter 53 - Do You Love Me?

91.8K 5.4K 3.3K
By KatherineArlene

Jess was coming down the stairs while Annie was at the front door accepting a tall vase filled with yellow gladiolus from a delivery man.

“Oh, Jess!” she said when she turned around, looking frazzled.  “Can you take these and find – somewhere to put them?” she asked with exasperation.  “I need to get the furniture moved out of the way in the small parlor before they deliver the bed for your uncle.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Jess replied, taking the vase from her and going into the grand parlor.

So many flowers were being delivered to her uncle that the hospital had insisted they be sent to the house, since his private room wasn’t large enough to contain them all. While she looked around to see if there was a surface available to accept another flower arrangement, she found the one place that still had space. 

Setting the vase on the closed bar cabinet, she turned around and sighed.   While having all those flowers was pretty to look at, she thought their home was starting to resemble a funeral parlor.  One good thing about it, the gate was now left open all day long so James didn’t continually have to go and unlock it.  If only this had happened when she and Marty were still together, she thought sadly.  With another sigh, she went to help Annie with the furniture.

Uncle Jonathon was coming home later that day after spending a week in the hospital and Annie had been busy getting the house ready for him.  It was decided he’d sleep downstairs so he wouldn’t have to deal with the stairs until he was healthier, and Jess’s father’s old bedroom was being prepared for a live-in nurse.  Doug had temporarily moved into his father’s room so she could have a private bathroom.

“How are you doing, pumpkin?” Annie asked gently once they’d cleared a space for the hospital bed.

“I’m okay,” she replied with a shrug.

“I know all of this can’t be easy for you,” she said, her hazel eyes full of concern.  “I told him I’m still angry at him for what he’s done,” she added firmly.  “He shouldn't have hurt you and Doug like that.”

“Do you think he understands?” Jess asked, wondering if he’d come around while he’d been at the hospital.  She hadn’t visited him once, nor had anyone suggested she should.  Annie and Doug were probably worried it would be too stressful for his weakened heart.  She thought it probably would be too, but she also wasn’t sure if she was ready to see him yet.  She was still angry about all the pain he’d caused her, and Doug.

“I don’t know,” Annie admitted quietly.  “He doesn’t say much when I bring it up.  He doesn’t say much of anything.  But then he’s never been one to talk about what’s going on inside him.  Maybe after he’s been home for a while and had time to reflect, he’ll start to open up.”

“Yeah,” Jess said, but she wasn’t sure if Annie was right.  He was so selfish and set in his ways.  Would he ever think he’d done anything wrong? 

 ~

The ambulance arrived later that afternoon with Doug following in his car.  He got out, still dressed in his suit from being at the office since the early morning and nervously hovered nearby while white uniformed men opened the back.  After the nurse climbed out, they pulled out the gurney with Uncle Jonathon strapped to it, and Jess's mouth dropped open with shock.  He looked visibly older, with more gray in his hair and deep lines etched in his pale, drawn face. 

Once they got the gurney in the small parlor and near his bed, they had to help him off.  When he stood, Jess was surprised again.  Wearing pajamas and a robe, he looked smaller, as if the heart attack had diminished him somehow.  While he was struggling to get onto the bed, he lifted his head, meeting Jess’s eyes, and then immediately looked away with embarrassment.  After a hesitation, she decided to step out to give him his privacy. 

While she walked to the kitchen, conflicting emotions swirled inside her.  Seeing how badly the heart attack had affected him, she wondered if that was punishment enough for what he’d done.  A few minutes later, Doug came into the kitchen.  He looked weary and sad as he took a pitcher of lemonade out of the ice box.  After pouring a glass, he joined her at the table where she was shelling peas to help Annie get an early start on dinner.

“The nurse and Annie are getting him comfortable,” he said quietly, slouching over his glass.

“Yeah,” Jess replied, not knowing what else to say.

“He’s so weak,” he said, looking up at her worriedly.

“He brought it on himself,” she muttered, the anger flaring up again.

“I know he did,” Doug admitted, slumping forward with his eyes firmly on his glass, and Jess suddenly felt guilty.  This was his dad, and in spite of everything, he still loved him.  She didn’t want to make him feel bad about it.  “We can go to the lawyer’s as soon as you’re ready,” he said, and then drained the last of his lemonade.

“I’m ready,” she said, standing so she could go wash her hands. 

She and Doug had talked to Mr. Levin back in New York, and the three of them had decided that Doug should be made trustee of her estate.  One of the law firms in town that worked for the mining company had called to say they’d received the paperwork he’d drawn up that morning in the mail, and she couldn’t wait to get it signed.  From that moment on, she’d finally be free from Uncle Jonathon’s control. 

When the two of them drove through the open gate, Jess turned to Doug.

“I want the gate kept open all the time, not just while your dad is getting flowers,” she said firmly.  “I don’t want to live behind locked gates anymore.”

“Al-right,” Doug said slowly, clearly reluctant about giving in. 

“And I want to be able to go into town whenever I want.”

“Of course, Jess,” he said emphatically, sincerity evident in his blue eyes when he looked at her.  “I don’t want you to feel like you’re not free.  Things are going to be different from now on.”

“I don’t want to have to lie about my friends, or pretend I don’t have the kinds of friends I have.  I don’t think you should either.” 

“I – guess you’re right,” Doug sighed.  “It’s going to be a big adjustment for dad.”

“But it’s something we need to change!  There have been enough lies in this family, Doug!  I don’t want to live with them anymore.”

“I know,” he said quietly, looking guilty, and she peered out the window at the passing scenery, feeling bad again.  Maybe someday she and Doug could speak openly about the past without it being painful.

When they arrived at the law firm, they were quickly ushered into an office, and after Jess was introduced to Mr. Anderson, they took seats in front of his desk.

“You understand that this will transfer the role of trustee from your uncle, to Douglas,” he said, setting papers in front of them.

“Yes, sir.  I understand,” Jess replied.

“And when you turn twenty-five, you’ll have full access to your money and the estate, including the property, the home, and Blackwell Iron and Mining.”

“Yes, but I want to give the mine and property to Doug.  I think he should have it.  It’s not fair he didn’t inherit it just because –.”  She stopped, suddenly realizing she was about to say too much.

“It’s okay, Jess,” Doug said quietly, with a sad smile.  “They know I’m adopted.”

“That is – commendable,” Mr. Anderson said slowly, appearing impressed.  “If that is what you wish, when the time comes I'm sure Mr. Levin will be happy to help you make that transfer of ownership.” 

Jess smiled, a feeling of relief washing over her that she wouldn't be saddled with it. 

“Douglas, I need you to sign here, here,” he continued, pointing to two different lines.  “And then here,” he added, turning to a second page.  He handed Doug a fountain pen and Doug leaned forward.

“Should I sign my full name, or –?”

“Yes, your full, legal name,” Mr. Anderson affirmed.  When he was done signing, he held the pen out to Mr. Anderson, but he didn’t take it. 

“Jessica will sign directly below your signature on the second page,” he said, and Doug handed her the pen.  Jess scooted forward in her seat, ready to sign, then straightened with surprise.  She looked at Doug, and he immediately appeared concerned, seeing her expression.

“What’s wrong?” he asked.

“Uh, nothing,” she replied, shaking her head, and leaned forward to sign her name under his.

“Alright!” the lawyer said jovially, taking the pen and papers from her.  “We’ll send these back to Mr. Levin in New York.”

There were handshakes all around and then Jess and Doug left.  When they got in the car, Jess pivoted to face Doug as he turned the key in the ignition.

“Your middle name,” Jess started.

“What about it,” he muttered, his cheeks flushing.

“It’s – Dwyer.

“Yeah.”  He put the car in reverse, his face turning redder.

“Are you –?  Is Mr. Dwyer your – grandfather?”

“Yeah,” he sighed.

“That’s why you didn’t want to go to the drug store that time with Louise,” she said quietly with wonder, remembering how upset he’d been that day. 

Doug shrugged his shoulders instead of responding and while he pulled onto the two lane highway, more memories came to her, falling together like pieces of a puzzle.  She finally understood – Doug’s mother was pregnant with Mr. Dwyer’s son when she married Uncle Jonathon.  

“Have you ever – talked to him?” she asked Doug, wondering if the anger between the families was because Mr. Dwyer had been cut off from his grandson.

“No,” he said curtly, keeping his eyes on the road ahead.

“Why not?”

“He doesn’t want anything to do with me,” he replied bitterly.

“I can’t believe that!” Jess said loudly.  “Of course he would want to know you!  You’re his grandson!” 

In the silence that followed, her thoughts of Mr. Dwyer continued  to all he'd done for Marty.  Mr. Dwyer had not just hired him, he’d looked out for him, encouraged him with his schooling, helped him change his life for the better.  Marty’s future was set because of the kindness and generosity of the man.  When Mr. Dwyer had done all that, was he thinking of the grandson he’d lost, the one he couldn't help influence and take care of?  Then she remembered the sad look in Mr. Dwyer's eyes during a long ago Christmas shopping trip at the drug store, and something else clicked into place. 

“When I wanted to buy a Christmas present for – a friend one year, he helped me even though he didn’t have what I wanted for sale.  He thought I was buying it for you, Doug.  I could tell it hurt him that he didn’t know you.  You should go see him,” she said decisively. 

Marty will be there, a voice inside her said, and an intense desire to see him overwhelmed her.  Now that the papers were signed and she was finally free, she could tell him.  They could be together now if they wanted. They had a chance, if he still loved her. 

“No, Jess,” Doug replied grimly, shaking his head.  “It’s not a good idea.”

“I’ll go with you!  I’ll introduce you!”  Doug pulled up to the gate and stopped even though it was still open.

“You don’t understand,” he said, turning towards her.  “I can’t go there!”

“Doug, I know Mr. Dwyer,” she explained gently.  “He’s a kind and decent man – and he’s your family.”  Doug hung his head, looking ashamed. 

“I know he won’t want to see me because –.”  He stopped and sighed.  “Because of what my dad did to him – and to that fellow who works for him.”

“What – fellow who works for him?” Jess asked faintly, suddenly finding it difficult to breathe.

“That fellow you were in love with.”

                           ~~~~~~~~~~~

Five Months Earlier

Marty entered the rear of the drug store after kicking the door frame to dislodge as much snow from his boots as possible.

“How is it out there?” Mr. Dwyer asked, bent over his work table as he tied string around a wrapped package.

“Some of the sidewalks are starting to get cleared,” Marty answered, closing the door.  “But the roads are still a mess.”

“The phone’s been ringing off the hook,” Mr. Dwyer said, stretching his back as he straightened.  “Why don’t you have some coffee, and I made sandwiches.  Once you’ve had a bite to eat and warm up, you can run these new orders out.”

Going to the electric percolator, Marty poured coffee and then added three heaping teaspoons of sugar.

“Some girl called for you,” Mr. Dwyer said, joining him.

“Oh?  Who?”

“She wouldn’t give me her name,” Mr. Dwyer answered, pouring himself a cup of coffee.  “She said she wanted to be sure you were okay.”

Jess, Marty thought, and as memories of the previous night filled his mind, he turned away to hide his smile from Mr. Dwyer.  He still couldn’t believe she’d kissed him, that he’d gotten to kiss her.  It was the craziest thing that had ever happened to him.  With his heart swelling with happiness, he remembered how good it felt to have her lips on his, her body pressed against him, her fingers in his hair.  She'd wanted him, and he didn’t think he’d ever experienced anything that wonderful in his life. 

“Marty,” Mr. Dwyer said, interrupting his thoughts, and he composed his face before he turned around.   “Are you seeing girls, son?”

“Uh, not really,” Marty said, immediately feeling uncomfortable.

“But you’re seeing that girl,” he stated rather than asked.  Marty didn’t want to answer, worried how much information Mr. Dwyer would want about Jess, but he didn’t want to lie to him either.

“Yes, sir,” he admitted, dropping his head.

“You care about her?”

“Yes, sir.”  Mr. Dwyer sighed, and Marty lifted his head.  He was surprised by the pain in Mr. Dwyer’s piercing blue eyes.

“Son, I don’t want to meddle in your life.  You’re a man now – and you have the right to make your own decisions, but –.”  He shook his head while his eyes became red.  “I’ve seen a whole lot of heartache and trouble caused when fellows aren’t careful with the girls they love.” 

Marty swallowed, understanding what Mr. Dwyer meant. 

“It’s a man’s responsibility to protect girls, and one of the things you need to protect her from is your urges.”  Marty dropped his eyes, unable to look at Mr. Dwyer while his face reddened.  “It’s not something that’s easy to talk about, but I know when you love a girl, what it makes you want to do with her.  If you really care about that girl, you’ll do whatever it takes to protect her and keep her safe, you understand?”

“Yes, sir,” Marty mumbled, looking at the floor while his face burned with embarrassment. 

“’Cos if you don’t, you’re gonna hurt her real bad, and I know you don’t want to do that.”

“No, sir,” he said more firmly, lifting his head.  Mr. Dwyer was right.  He had to do whatever it took to take care of Jess the right way.  He could never allow anything to happen that would hurt her. 

“I’m proud of you, son,” he said, gripping Marty’s shoulder while his eyes became shiny.  “Real proud.”  He turned away, clearing his throat and walked back to his work table.  “With the snow as bad as it is, I reckon you should stay the night again.  The only way you’ll be able to get home is walking on the highway, and I don’t feel right about it.  Better to have you safe here, than risking your life in the dark.”

“Yes, sir,” Marty replied, trying to mask his disappointment while he took a sandwich from a plate next to the percolator. 

He knew Mr. Dwyer was right, but he hated not being able to see Jess.  On the other hand, she probably wouldn’t be able to make it to the cabin anyway, he decided, remembering how they’d struggled just to get her home by taking the path.  Now that it wasn’t snowing anymore, she’d have no choice but to go the long route through the woods. 

Taking a seat on the cot Mr. Dwyer had set up for him, he took a bite from his sandwich and hoped the roads would be plowed by the next afternoon.  Then he’d be able to go the cabin, and hopefully Jess would too.  He couldn't wait to see her again.  Beautiful Jess, he thought, smiling while he chewed.  My girl.

~

“Marty!” Mr. Dwyer barked, walking into the back room.  “You’ll have to watch the store.  Norm Kennedy’s called and his mother’s medications have gotten all mixed up.  They left her alone and she took the labels off all the bottles,” he continued angrily while he retrieved his coat.  “It should be slow since people are still digging out so why don’t you get some cleaning done while you’re out there.  The perfume boxes are starting to get dusty.”

“Alright,” Marty replied, reaching for a feather duster.

He went up front as Mr. Dwyer let himself out the back door and headed for the perfume section.  Dusting the boxes as he went, he made his way to the colognes, and then he heard the bell on the door ring.  When he turned around, he froze and his heart leapt in his throat.  Jonathon Blackwell had just stepped inside. 

What should I do, Marty wondered desperately, watching Blackwell look around as he made his way to the soda fountain.  He had the urge to run for the back room, and then to keep on running, out the back door and down the alley.  He took a deep breath and blew it out, trying to calm down.  He wasn’t doing anything wrong by being there. 

Blackwell stood in front of the soda fountain counter, looking at the photo of Mr. Dwyer’s son, and Marty waited.  Since Blackwell hadn’t noticed him, there was no point in showing himself if he didn’t have to.  Then Blackwell sat on one of the stools, and Marty slumped.  Tucking the feather duster out of sight behind an Old Spice display, he made his way over to the soda fountain.

“Can I help you?” he asked, keeping his back to Blackwell while he took the apron off the hook on the wall.

“Coffee.”

“Uh, we don’t have any made,” Marty said, finally turning towards him.  He searched the man’s eyes, wondering if Blackwell would remember him, but Blackwell smiled.  He must not, Marty thought with relief.

“I’ll wait,” Blackwell replied easily. 

Taking the carafe from the coffee machine, he went to the sink to fill it. 

“You know, you look familiar,” Blackwell said, and Marty tensed.

“Do I?” he replied, turning on the water.  His heart began to race, but he tried to stay calm.  Even if he did recognize him, what was the big deal?  Blackwell couldn’t do anything to him now.

“I’m sure we’ve met before.”  Marty stayed quiet while he went to pour the water in the top of the machine.  “Now I remember!” he said cheerfully, snapping his fingers.  “You’re that delinquent who trespassed on my property.” 

Marty grit his teeth while he opened the can of coffee grounds.  He wouldn’t give the man the satisfaction of getting a rise out of him.

“It’s funny though.  Back then I didn’t know what was really going on.” 

His tone had turned more serious, and Marty suddenly found it difficult to breathe as fear began to take hold.  What had Blackwell figured out?

“Here I thought you were just some punk kid looking to make trouble,” he said, his voice lower and malevolent.  “But instead you were sniffing around my niece.”  

Marty continued to measure out coffee grounds, but his hands were shaking.  How did he find out?  And then he suddenly thought of Jess.  What was going to happen to her?

“Oh, yes,” Blackwell continued, as if he’d heard Marty’s thoughts.  “I know all about it.  How it’s been going on for years now.”  Marty turned on the machine while he desperately tried to think. 

“It’s quite the plan you had going.  Preying on a naïve, young girl.  Get your hooks into her so you’d be set for life, sucking off her trust fund.”

“That’s not true!” Marty shouted as he turned around.  Blackwell leaned back with a smug smile, and Marty immediately regretted his outburst.

“Well, it’s not true now, because you’re not going to see her anymore,” Blackwell said smoothly.  “She’s out of your league, boy – and you know it.”

Looking in the man’s hard brown eyes, Marty swallowed against the lump that had formed in his throat.  It was a truth he’d carried deep inside him for years, but realizing the moment had finally come when he was going to have to give her up still hurt like hell. 

“Here’s how this is going to happen,” Blackwell explained, his steely eyes flashing.  “You’re going to break things off with her – and you’re going to make her believe it’s your decision.”

“No!” Marty choked out, the pain inside him growing.  “I won’t see her, but I won’t hurt her like that!”

“You will do it!” shouted Blackwell, slamming his fist on the counter, his face turning red.  “I will not have her wasting her life away, mooning over you and imagining she’s living out some modern day Romeo and Juliet fantasy!”

“I won’t do that to her,” Marty countered determinedly, shaking his head. 

To his surprise Blackwell straightened as his features smoothed out, and he knew what was coming.  Blackwell was going to threaten him with arrest, but Marty didn’t care.  If Blackwell put him in jail, at least Jess would know he hadn’t abandoned her on purpose.

“You know,” Blackwell said contemplatively as he looked around.  “This old place has been around forever.  I used to come here when I was a kid.”  His eyes returned to meet Marty’s and the steeliness was back.  “Dwyer’s been running this business since before I was born.  I suppose when you get that old, you’re not as sharp as you used to be.  You start making mistakes – not noticing the chemicals have expired, not storing them properly, not being as careful making medications as you should be.  If the state board inspectors came here, I wonder what they’d find?”

Marty’s body shook, understanding what Blackwell meant.  The pain inside him rose in intensity as he realized the choice he was going to have to make.

“It would be a shame if Dwyer had to pay so many fines, he couldn’t keep the business going,” Blackwell continued smoothly.  “Or even faced criminal charges for risking the lives of the citizens of this town.  I imagine prison would be hard on a man that age.” 

He waited, but Marty’s throat wouldn’t work well enough to speak.  He struggled to stay in control, and Blackwell finally stood, reaching into his pocket. 

“Don’t drag it out, boy,” he said sharply, tossing a couple coins on the counter before he turned to leave.  “I don’t have a lot of patience.” 

****

One more secret revealed, and one more chapter to go!  What do you think about Uncle Jonathon, both then and now?  How will this change things for Jess's relationship with him, and with Doug who obviously kept this from her?  And what about Marty?  How do you think he feels about her after all this time has passed?  What will happen next!  As always, I can't wait to hear what you think!

I sincerely hope you enjoyed this chapter!  This has been a lot of hard work, but I've thoroughly enjoyed sharing it with all of you.  If you would like to support this story and help it win commenting, voting on the chapters, adding it to your reading lists all help it's chances.  The video is Do You Love Me by the Contours.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7M 37.6K 10
Fiona Pearce is the kind of girl who can never say no to anyone. As long as she can do something to help out, she'll do it in a heartbeat. So w...
39.2K 1.7K 18
"Rana Sa...." Why are you trembling...are you ok should I call someone for help.... "Sh...ssshhhhh...... Ahana....i would be inside you till now if y...
4.9M 121K 55
Ivy is a poor, misunderstood girl who isn't afraid to stick up for herself. The Lost Boys are four wealthy boys that are used to getting whatever the...
6K 340 28
"Let's do this, my I." Wherein the ace of the dance academy, Xu Minghao, reaches his hand out to the helpless girl, who reminded him of his own past...