Chapter 47 - Surrender

December 1961

On her way home from school in the back of the black car, Jess had her notebook open so she could check through her notes.  The first semester final exams were coming up fast and she was making a list of which books she had to bring home for her and Marty.  He had only two rounds of final exams left to pass if he was going to graduate, and she wasn't taking any chances.

When James reached the gate, he drove straight through and she looked up in surprise.  Turning her head as they continued down the drive, she saw the gate unlocked and wide open.

"Is something going on?" she asked.

"You'll be findin' that out when ya go in the house, won't ya?" he barked, not even bothering to look at her in the rear view mirror.

Fuming as she closed her notebook and stacked her books on her lap, she thought again how much she hated the man.  As soon as he pulled to a stop next to the house, she opened her door and got out, slamming it as hard as she could before he'd cut the engine.  Striding through snow to the back door, she felt a deep satisfaction.

When she let herself into the kitchen, she immediately knew something was wrong.  It was empty and silent and there were no delicious smells of food cooking.  Even more worrying, there were suitcases lined up near the door.  Then Annie came from her bedroom dressed in a matching wool skirt and jacket but her hair was still in a bun instead of styled.  It was obvious she'd been crying and Jess's heart leapt in her throat.  Had Uncle Jonathon fired her?

"Annie, what's going on?" she asked with alarm, going to her.

"Oh, Jess!" she sobbed, and Jess didn't hesitate to put her arms around her.  "I have to go!"

"Why?" Jess cried, pulling away so she could look at her.

"It's my - sister!" she choked out, tears streaming down her face.  "She's had a stroke!"

"Oh, no!" Jess said, hugging her again.

"They don't know if she's going to make it.  I don't know what I'll do if I lose her!" she cried.  "After losing my brother, she's all I have left!"

"I'm so sorry, Annie."  Jess rubbed her back, and after a minute, Annie pulled away.

"Thank you, pumpkin," she said shakily.  "The three of us were so close," she explained, wiping her face with her handkerchief.  "When we lost my brother on D-Day, it was so hard.  If I lose my sister, I'll be the only one left, and my mother -."  She shook her head sadly, unable to finish.

"I'm sure the doctors will do everything they can.  They'll help her."  Annie put her hand on Jess's cheek, and managed a small smile.

"Thank you, pumpkin.  James is taking me to the train station soon.  I called Mrs. Lindstrom up the road.  Her daughter is going to come three days a week to clean and do laundry.  Mrs. Lindstrom will be sending meals with her.  I don't know if I'll be back in time for your birthday - or Christmas."

"Don't worry about that!  That's not as important as your sister."

"Annie!"  Uncle Jonathon's voice boomed out, making Jess jump.  "I've made all the arrangements," he said, striding purposefully towards her.  "There's a ticket waiting for you at the station.  When you get to Chicago, take a cab to the Carlisle Hotel.  It's across the street from the hospital."  Jess stared at her uncle with disbelief.  "I've told them you'll be keeping your room indefinitely.  Dr. Baker will be in consultation with the doctors caring for Margie.  He'll keep me informed of her progress."

"Thank you!" Annie cried, her shoulders slumping with relief.

"Now when you get to the hotel, have them cash this for you and have most of it put in a safe," he said handing her a check.