Chapter 26 - Am I Losing You

When Marty reached the clearing that morning, he was surprised the front door of the cabin was closed.  More often than not, Jess would arrive before him, but he was earlier than usual since there hadn't been that many deliveries to make for Mr. Dwyer. 

The cabin was still warm from the heat of the previous day and he opened up the windows, then got a mug and filled it with cool water from the pump.  Taking it to the front door, he drank it leaning against the door frame.  While he listened to the birds singing in the trees, he watched the spot Jess would appear.  The air was still cool in the woods, but it was already hot in town.  It was going to be a perfect day for swimming. 

When he'd finished his water, he washed the mug and put it away.  Figuring Jess was probably on her way, he decided to meet her part way.  He took his time walking through the woods, but when he'd almost reached the winding drive, he was disappointed she wasn't there yet. 

Taking a chance, he slowly stepped out of the trees, listening for a car.  He peered down the drive, then walked several feet, but it made him uncomfortable to be exposed out in the open, and he turned and headed back into the woods.

Reaching the clearing, he checked the cabin in case she'd used the path, but found it empty.  Pulling out his pen knife and a small piece of wood he'd been working on from his pocket, he sat on the front step.  While he whittled, the sun crept closer until it reached his legs.  Getting up to get out of the heat, a thought occurred to him.  Perhaps if he took a look at the house, he'd figure out what was taking her so long.  At least it would give him something to do.  He was beginning to feel antsy sitting around and waiting.  Putting his knife and wood back in his pocket, he strode towards the path. 

When he'd first begun climbing over the fence at the age of twelve, he'd spied on old man Blackwell's house numerous times, but it was boring as hell and he'd long ago given it up.  The only people he ever saw outside were Blackwell's driver doing yard work, or the maid hanging laundry.  Even Jess's cousin never came outside.  

Walking quickly down the path, he soon reached the turn just before the garage.  He stopped and listened, but it was quiet as usual and he continued, pushing aside a tree branch and stepping out behind the garage.  Making his way to the corner, he listened for signs anyone was outside, but he heard nothing and stuck his head out. 

A cold shock went through his body.  Old man Blackwell was stepping off his front porch carrying a suitcase with the maid behind him.  Both of them locked eyes with him before he could jump back.

"Hey!"  

He turned and ran. 

"Stop!"

Don't go down the path! he thought as he reached the entrance.  That would lead them right to the cabin.  He passed it as he ran behind the garage, a plan forming in his mind.  He'd get Blackwell to chase him in the opposite direction and then lose him in the woods. 

He came out from behind the garage and just as he began sprinting across the grass, something hit him hard from the side, knocking him to the ground and landing on top of him with a grunt.  It was Blackwell's driver. 

Marty struggled desperately to get out from under his crushing weight while both men grabbed hold of him, and he was pulled up.  He tried to wriggle out of their grip, but with both of them holding him, it was impossible.  Then the driver managed to pin his arms behind his back so tight they felt like they were going to snap.

"What the hell do you think you're doing on my property?" Blackwell roared while Marty struggled.  There was a sound like a crack of thunder followed by a terrible stinging pain as Blackwell slapped him hard across the face.