How to Top

By onelasttae

in which the school's resident badboy helps a seemingly unattractive loser win the heart of his best friend... More

01 :: milk tea & pork broth
02:: life scarring things & feelings
03 :: ugly pajamas & ugly people
04 :: ugly crushes & pretty deals
05 :: smart asses & dumbasses
06 :: makeovers & disasters
07 :: subpar flirting & shitty liars
08 :: pick-up lines & put downs
09 :: pals & not so good pals
10 :: fake & faker
11 :: fake dates & the real deal
12 :: right & wrong
13 :: platonic hickeys & heated stuff
14 :: remember & forget
15 :: controlled chaos & messes
16 :: want & need
17 :: besties & little shits
18 :: broken hearts & broken dicks
19 :: on purpose & accidental grinding
20 :: arguments & questionable news
22 :: true feelings & careful lies
23 :: country boys & flower fields
24 :: stars & everything in between
25 :: questions & literally no answers
26 :: magical sticks & heartwarming gays
27 :: boyfriends & boy friends
28 :: the part & the whole
29 :: new friends & annoying flirts
30 :: redos & no turning back
31 :: lost & found
32 :: temporary & permanent
33 :: moving on & remembering it all
34 :: happy surprises & dirty plays
35 :: saying always & being okay
36 :: happy thoughts & painful conversations
37 :: the nerd & the fuckboy
EPILOGUE
HOW TO BE HUMAN (PREQUEL)

21 :: road trips & home

89.6K 5.3K 23.7K
By onelasttae

oh hi there
jk hi i think you'll like
this update

i recommend listening to hostage
by billie eilish at the taekook part (:

♡︎♡︎♡

Taehyung wanted to call this a road trip, but driving to Busan to see his best friend's sick mother wasn't a light topic to joke about.

It was an impromptu idea, and all he wanted to do was make Jeongguk happy again because a crying, puffy eyed and sniffling Jeongguk tugged at his heart strings. His hugs weren't enough, and despite all the forehead kisses he gave him, Jeongguk only cried harder.

So, his mind thought, why not drive to Busan since they had break the following week?

You see, it wasn't easy, but Taehyung was able to pack them backpacks of clothes and money, give Yeontan over to Hoseok and Jin for a few days, talk to Yugyeom and San about volleyball, and find his car keys to the car he rarely used in a good hour.

The plan was pretty crappy, but Taehyung was sure they could do it. After all, it was worth it to make Jeongguk happy again.

On the bright side, Busan was only a good five hours if the traffic wasn't bad. Plus Jeongguk needed to see his mom, and he couldn't imagine how difficult it was on his sisters. They could probably help when they get there.

It would be all worth it in the end.

Taehyung had to admit though, he hadn't touched his car in a long time. When they got on the road, he was freaking out internally when they hit a freeway, and god merging was horrifying.

It was then did he remember how fricking terrifying driving actually was and why he didn't like it.

The outside world was scary! Drivers were mean, and the traffic was so congested he felt crammed into his seat. He wasn't used to holding a steering wheel, and the longer Jeongguk cried, he wanted to drive faster.

But of course, safety over anything, and tried to drive as fast as he could without them dying in some freak car accident.

Jeongguk, on the otherhand, was calming down an hour into the driving. They haven't fully left Seoul yet, but at least his quiet sobs were limited to soft sniffling. That was good, right?

"Where are we going?" Jeongguk's voice was small when he finally spoke to him, but that wasn't what freaked him out.

He realized he practically kidnapped him. Oops.

"We're going to Busan," Taehyung said, drumming his fingers across the steeringwheel, keeping his eyes on the road no matter how much he wanted to look at Jeongguk.

"Busan? Why?" The younger asked, voice a little raspy from crying. "It's too far, turn around."

"Nope, we are heading to Busan to see your family," He declared. "I already called your sister, and they know we're coming."

"You called my sister? Which one?" He heard him sit up, his clothes rustling against the leather seats. He didn't want to look over at Jeongguk because he was pretty much shitting his pants, but he could feel him staring at him.

"Hyejung? The oldest sister. If you're wondering, she's with the little ones. Your aunt went to the hospital with your mom," Taehyung said, and when Jeongguk didn't say anything he cleared his throat.

"I'm sorry if I overstepped," He added quietly. "I know you don't like talking about your family—,"

"—Thank you, Tae," Jeongguuk murmured, catching him off guard. "But can I ask how you got into my phone?" At that, Taehyung's cheeks warmed up.

"Y-your password was simple," He grumbled, pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose. "It was your jersey number and the year you're joining the Olympics. 1220."

"Oh, I see," Jeongguk chuckled. Did he chuckle? The older didn't know but hopefully it was. Sounded more like a choking noise though. Was he dying?

God, he was probably freaking out again. He just couldn't help it, especially because this was one of those rare situations where Jeongguk wasn't happy, and it didn't feel right when one of them was sad.

The car fell silent again, and while the car stopped, he decided that maybe it wouldn't hurt to look at him. And he did, stealing a quick glance to make sure he was all in one piece.

Jeongguk's eyes were still red and slightly swollen, a hiccup slipping past his lips every now and then. He was staring out his window, fingers twiddling on his lap. At least he wasn't crying, but Taehyung knew he was probably worrying.

He was always worrying— that was something he realized about Jeongguk in the three months they spent together. People thought he was all arrogant and self-centered when it was quite the opposite.

The real Jeongguk cared. He cared about every little detail no matter how insignificant you thought it was because to him, it meant everything. He worried if you didn't eat, or if you were overworking.

The last person he worried about was himself.

"Um, are you feeling any better?" Taehyung tried to lighten the mood, his grip around the steering wheel easing as they got stuck in more dumb traffic.

"Define better," Jeongguk murmured, and for a second, Taehyung thought he messed up, but one look at him, he seemed to be alright. He wasn't that used to a sad Jeongguk, really.

"Do you wanna hear a joke?" He cleared his throat when Jeongguk didn't say anything else. He didn't want to force him to talk— his mom had a stroke— but he didn't want to lose him.

"What do you call a donkey with three legs?"

"I don't know, handicapped?" Okay, so sad Jeongguk didn't have a sense of humor. Taehyung loosened his shoulders, guessing this was his chance to 'cheer' him up like he did for him.

"Nope," He turned to look at him, fixing a smile on his lips. Jeongguk raised an eyebrow at him. "It's called a Wonkey."

"I— I don't know whether to open this door and just barrel roll out or just end our friendship," Jeongguk said, but Taehyung noticed the way the edge of his lip twitched.

He was close. Close to seeing him smile again.

"You know, at home, I got a hen who regularly counts her eggs," Jeongguk groaned, leaning back in his seat, hands covering his face. Taehyung bit down on his lips, unable to hold his smile back.

"She's quite the mathemachicken!"

"God, I hate you," He shook his head, groan muffled by his palm. "I'm gonna open this door and roll, Kim Taehyung. Roll."

"C'mon!" He found himself giggling a little, heart fluttering at the way Jeongguk's deadpan did not quite fit the light situation. "It was funny."

"You're killing me with your existence!"

"Jeongguk, you love me!"

"You removed fifty years off my life span," Jeongguk snorted, now hugging himself as he sat up in his seat, gaze still fixed straight ahead at the sea of cars jammed in traffic.

"That's basically murder."

The two of them snickered softly, but not even that seemed to last before Jeongguk slipped into silence. Taehyung gulped, scratching the side of his neck as he stole yet another secret glance at the younger, worry pulsating through him.

"M'not fragile, you know. You can look at me."

Taehyung blinked a couple times, grip tightening on the whee, not quite expecting that. When he did crane his neck toward the younger, he gulped when his sad eyes seemed to mirror his own.

"It's not the first time, and we were aware it wouldn't be the last," Jeongguk whispered, the first to pull away as he leaned his head against the glass.

"Were you there the first time?" He asked, voice low, gentle. For some reason, he couldn't quite bring himself to not tip-toe around the younger, fearing he would hurt him. That was the last thing he wanted.

"No," He said, shoulders sagging. "I was in the final round for the junior Olympics."

"Oh. M-m'sorry. T-That must have been hard," Taehyung didn't know what more to say. A sigh fluttered past his lips as he leaned back, one hand on the steering wheel, the other resting on the center console.

Jeongguk hummed, "Yeah. Cancelled all my summer clinics to spend time at Busan with them until they got back on their feet. My father came by to help, but he couldn't stay for long 'cos of work."

"Well," The older licked his lips, fingers drumming against the leather. "If your mom survived this one, I'm sure she'll make it through and see you in the Olympics like you've always dreamed of."

"Yeah," Jeongguk nodded stiffly. "Hopefully."

"She'll get better, Jeongguk," Taehyung said, finally able to steady his words. He glanced at the younger, heart tugging realizing he was trying to keep himself from crying, his eyes tinged red and chest rising unevenly.

"We'll make sure she gets to see you play again."

After that, Taehyung decided it was best to stay quiet, but he couldn't leave Jeongguk alone with his thoughts. He knew how terrifying it was, being alone with yourself.

Letting all your doubts and worries gnaw at your every being until it consumed you whole was a horror on its own.

So he reached over, fingers searching for Jeongguk's hand that was now resting on his thigh. His adam's apple bobbed nervously in the hollow of his throat, breath hitching as his fingers bumped against the younger's, hoping this idea wasn't bad.

It really wasn't his place to do this, but there was no other way to let him know he was there for him.

Jeongguk glanced up at him, but he was already looking away, focusing on the now moving traffic. But Taehyung didn't stop there: he reached over, gently taking Jeongguk's hand and turning it over ever so carefully.

The younger didn't question him the moment his palm slid over his, their fingers tangling with one another. Taehyung exhaled slowly, soaking up the way Jeongguk's hand seemed to complete his own.

The gentle silence that enveloped the car wasn't as painful as Taehyung thought it would be. With the younger's hand in his, he caressed his hand with his thumb, and without thinking he brought his hand up close to his lips.

Nobody said a word as he brushed his lips softly across the ridges of his knuckles, but it was then, did both of them realize they had each other.

︎♡︎♡︎♡

The second he got the phone call, his world stopped. Literally.

Jeongguk never cried, the last time being when his sister popped his special signed volleyball, but that was irrelevant. Crying wasn't really a thing in the family— the Jeons were strong; not even the littlest Jeon cried about anything.

But when it came to his mom, Jeongguk didn't give a fuck about looking strong anymore. It was his mom, the one who introduced volleyball to him, the one who encouraged him to chase his dream from the beginning.

He couldn't lose her. She was the reason he fell in love with volleyball in the first place. All she ever wanted was to go to the Olympics, but after having them, the dream was shared with Jeongguk.

They made plans. Jeongguk would be a starter on the Japanese men's volleyball team in the Olympics, and she would be watching him in the stands at the perfect angle to see him play.

Then she had a stroke, and after that struggle, he thought maybe they had another shot at following their dream.

But after being so close to finally having what they both wanted, suddenly it was out of reach for the second time.

However, Jeongguk wasn't alone anymore.

He wasn't spending nights awake and alone in his dorm, wondering if he could pick up another job on top of the one he already had. Letting himself worry that he bit every nail to the skin on his finger.

Because now, he had Specs— his Taehyung. He was there, somehow able to ground him, to make sure he wouldn't spiral into his worries. To grab his hand before he could bite his nails and kiss his knuckles to ease his stress.

Taehyung went out of his way to help him when he didn't need to, reminding him that he had him, that this time, he didn't need to deal with it alone.

Together, they would get through it, and he let himself believe it.

"Specs, you should let me drive now," Jeongguk noticed the older was yawning more than usual. It was already dark, and there was some congestion but they were still able to move.

"No, you're sad. Sad people can't drive," He rolled his eyes. Jeongguk sighed, watching him as he rubbed his eyes beneath his glasses. What a liar.

That was the thing he got to know about Taehyung. He was the definition of supportive. He cared, and he was so much better at showing it than Jeongguk. Taehyung was so selfless to the point he forgot about himself.

He was always busy caring for others— the school, the students, for Jeongguk. In the process, he forgot about his own needs and lied so he could continue to wear himself thin. He lied a lot but Jeongguk didn't take it personal.

They were the same in some way. Neither of them liked to show their weaknesses, but here they were, always stuck in some vulnerable situation together it was starting to humor him.

It was funny, because now matter how much they tried to push each other away, Jeongguk knew they would never fail to find a way back to one another.

"We're almost here anyways," Taehyung yawned yet again, and just as Jeongguk about to threaten him to let him drive, from the corner of his eye, he realized they were in a neighborhood.

His old childhood neighborhood, and for some reason, his chest felt heavy.

"Why didn't you wake me up earlier?" He whispered, taking in the homes and streets he remembered as a little kid, wandering around to find fun in the form of innocent trouble.

"You were asleep," The older muttered. "You looked peaceful, and I didn't wanna bother you."

"I wouldn't have minded," Jeongguk mumbled, his heart leaping in his chest when he saw the old play ground his sisters and he used to go to all the time to play volleyball.

"But you looked cute," He said, and from where he sat, he noticed a smile twitching on his lips.

"Looked like a whole princess."

"Oh shut up," The younger grumbled, crossing his arms over his chest. God, he hated that name, but it never failed to make his face all hot and bothered, and Taehyung knew it.

"I will. After this, I need to stretch and sleep 'cuz I might pass out," He chuckled, leaning back in his seat and leaving one hand on the wheel. Jeongguk was about to say something, but before he could, his gaze fell onto his arm.

Veins, many of them, strained against the tanned skin on his forearm. Circuits of them branched down his arm and dangling from his thin wrist was the red bracelet he made for him. It was hot, how the veins seemed to rippled with each gentle flex he made.

Jeongguk swore his mind was shortwiring, and he turned gaze away from him, hating how his stomach fluttered. He wasn't supposed to be feeling like this; there were other, more appropriate times.

"And here we are. Your childhood house," His low voice snapped him out of his thoughts, and there, where Taehyung was pointing at was his home.

He was home. Well, his first home. His other one was kinda sitting right next to him.

"Can I warn you that my sisters are weird?" He said, chuckling uneasy as the two of them unbuckled their seat belts. "They're on crack most of the time."

"Like you," Taehyung teased, reaching over and flicking the bottom of his chin. "I can handle kids. Don't worry about me, princess."

"Stop with the princess, Specs," Jeongguk pouted, getting out of the car with him and doing this weird half-jog, half-limp over to where Taehyung stood. His knee was messing with him again, probably from being bent too long.

"Princess doesn't work on me, hyung."

"You're really pulling the 'hyung' card?" The older snorted, handing him the backpack of clothes he made for him. Jeongguk took it, slinging it over his shoulder.

"M'too tired for you," He grumbled, gripping the straps of his backpack as he gestured at Taehyung to keep walking instead of wasting time staring at him.

To be honest, he wanted to see his sisters more than anything, and Taehyung doing this meant the whole fucking world. He didn't have to, but he did, and he didn't know if his heart could ever recover.

So Jeongguk did what he could to thank him. He reached over, taking his hand into his. The older was caught by surprise, his eyes slightly wide until their fingers fit into place, hands locking perfect like they were meant to be holding one another.

"Thank you," Jeongguk whispered softly, trying to focus on Taehyung's features beneath the darkness. He squeezed his hand tight, not wanting to let go of him, ever.

"It's really nothing," Taehyung murmured back, and as another car passed by, lights flickering over them, he noticed a blush creeping on his cheeks.

"I told you, I got you. I wasn't lying, Gguk."

Neither of them said anything. They were standing at the front door, bodies turned to face one another, and in that moment, nothing else seemed to matter except for Taehyung. His heart swelled, did all the things he was oh-so familiar with.

Taehyung reached over, eyes focusing on his own, and ever so gently, he tucked his hair behind his ear. Jeongguk's chest squeezed, stomach fluttering with emotions he couldn't define. And yet, he knew their meaning with every inch of his existence.

"I think I—," His words were suddenly interrupted by a little munchkin ramming right into his lower half, nearly toppling over as he let go of Taehyung's hand to stable himself.

"Jeonggukie! Ohmygosh you're really here! You escaped the mean screen!" The little girl squealed, and he knew who it was the second he picked her up.

"Yes, I escaped the mean screen," Jeongguk held her close, not used to how heavy she got since the last time he held his youngest sister. "I missed you!" He chuckled, blowing a raspberry to her neck.

"Who is this?" She said after calming down from a fit of giggles. "Jeonggukie? Is he your friend?"

He glanced over at Taehyung, who was waving at her with a gentle smile. Jeongguk cleared his throat, "He is. Kim Taehyung, meet Jeon Hyelin."

For some reason, Jeongguk's throat closed, and he wasn't so sure if the panic was because he was worried his sisters might not like Taehyung, or the fact he never introduced people to his family.

All of this was new, terrifying somewhat. Sharing this part of himself wasn't really a thing he did, but here he was, bringing Taehyung to meet his family.

And deep down, he hoped they liked him as much as he did.

"Taehyung? That's a pretty name," Hyelin rested her head on Jeongguk's chest. At that, Taehyung stepped closer, chuckling gently as he held his hand out.

"I think Hyelin is beautiful too," He murmured as the little girl grabbed his hand. Of course, her fingers were nearly as big as Taehyung's, so his entire hand practically enveloped hers.

It was cute. They were both cute, and the relief that washed through Jeongguk was enough to calm him down.

"Oh? Jeongguk! You should have called," Both of them turned their heads to the doorway where his aunt was standing, her hands on her hips. She gave them a smile, and when her gaze on Taehyung, her smile widened.

"My, Jeongguk. Are you Taehyung? Call me June," She reached over and shook his hand, but Jeongguk couldn't help his face from heating up when she shook it a little too enthusiastically.

"Nice to meet you, June," Taehyung bowed slightly before returning to Jeongguk's side. He felt the older's hand gently brush the edge of his elbow, letting him know he was there.

"Goodness, you two must be tired," June clasped her hands together. "Oh, and give me Lin. Sweetie, you can see your brother in the morning!"

"Buuuut auntie! I miss him!" Hyelin whined, making Jeongguk nearly choke by the way she wrapped her arms around his neck. "Oppa's never home."

"Well I'm home now, Lin," Jeongguk whispered, his gaze flitting to Taehyung's as he let his aunt take her from his arms. "I'm home." He repeated, staring directly at the older.

June hummed, interrupting the two's moment with an all-knowing smile, "Right. You two boys should eat. I'll let the little girls say hey, but they need to head to bed."

"Where's Hyejung?" Jeongguk asked, the two of them following his aunt into the house. He realized Taehyung seemed a bit awkward, so he reached over and slipped his hand into his briefly, giving him an assuring smile that everything was okay.

He dropped his hand when his aunt turned around, "Well we're taking shifts. She's at the hospital with your Uncle. I'm on children duty." She said, eyeing the two of them up and down.

"When can I see her?" He questioned, following her to the living room where his other sisters were on the couch, watching a Barbie movie.

"Tomorrow after you two sleep. I hope you guys don't mind, but you need to share a room," She said, gesturing at the two of them.

"That's fine. He can sleep with me," Jeongguk shrugged, barely even looking at Taehyung, knowing if he did he would think of something dirty.

"Alright well," His aunt gave them one last smile and called out, "Jeonkyung! Hyein! Your brother's here, and he brought someone."

He raised an eyebrow at her, wondering what that meant. His aunt wiggled her eyebrows at him, further confusing him.

Jeongguk glanced over at Taehyung, lips molded into a crooked grin as they watched both girls shoot up from the couch and run to where he stood. In barely any time, they hugged him, the oldest hugging his waist and the second youngest satisifed with his leg.

"You two are so big," Jeongguk gushed, ruffling their hair as he struggled to breathe from how tight they were holding onto him. "How's everything?"

"I'm a starter oppa! I can spike just like you!" Hyein cheered, shaking his leg aggressively. "My coach says I can be better than you!"

"Oh really? Maybe you should take my spot in the Olympics," He chuckled, the bright smile he wore broadening to the point he was nearly squinting.

"I won another competition Ggukie! They liked my dance a lot, and Auntie said I can show you all my trophies in the morning!" Jeonkyung squealed, staring up with him in stars in his eyes.

But all the chaos seemed to die down when all three girls realized their brother wasn't alone. Jeongguk hoped they would like him, especially because kids their age are hard to please. Taehyung waved at them, adam's apple bobbing uneasily.

Jeonkyung turned to him, brows furrowed, "You had a boyfriend and you didn't tell us?!"

Both Jeongguk and Taehyung choked. Okay, he wasn't expecting that.

"N-no he isn't my boyfriend, Kyungie," Jeongguk said, feeling Taehyung's presence behind him. "He's my best friend." Jeonkyung hummed.

"Is he your girlfriend then?" Hyein asked, blinking up at him. Jeonkyung pushed the other sister.

"He's a boy, duh. Boyfriends," Jeonkyung argued.

"We aren't boyfriends," Taehyung finally spoke up, and Jeongguk swore his voice enchanted his sisters. "But I know your brother well." He said, placing his hand on his shoulder.

"What happened to Jimin?" Hyelin asked, and the second she did, Jeongguk tensed beneath her touch. He swallowed, scratching the side of his neck.

"We aren't friends anymore," Jeongguk murmured, feeling Taehyung's shocked gaze on him. "We had some disagreements, so we aren't friends."

"Shame. Hey Taehyung?" Hyein said, suprising Jeongguk that she wasn't disappointed since she really loved Jimin. Taehyung replied with a quiet, 'yes', his hand squeezing Jeongguk's shoulder.

"Do you like The Princess and the Pauper?"

Oh, Jeongguk knew the answer to that— Specs was a whole twink for Barbie. Taehyung chuckled deeply, draping his arm over his shoulder now. "Yeah. I like the Twelve Dancing Princess more, though."

"Really!" Taehyung nodded. "I have all the dolls, and the dresses! Do you like dress-up?!" Hyein gushed.

"In the morning we can. I see you have a tea set," He grinned, gesturing over with his chin to the small set by the couch. "Wanna hear a secret?" She nodded eagerly.

"I can make way better tea than your brother. Every stuff animal approves of my tea, I can assure you," At that, Hyein squealed and practically flung herself to Taehyung.

"Alright girls, time for bed. Your brother and his boy friend need to have dinner and sleep. It's very late," June said, pushing the backs of the girls to go up the stairs.

"But auntie!" She shook her head. Taehyung and Jeongguk merely chuckled, glancing at one another.

"No. Tomorrow you can have a tea party with them," and after a couple groans, the three girls said their goodbyes, kissed Jeongguk's cheek, and went to bed.

"Now you two," June turned to them, both of them springing apart from one another. "Are you hungry?"

"We can just bring the food up to my room. I think you should sleep," Jeongguk said as his aunt brought them to the kitchen.

"I agree with Jeongguk, June. It's very late, and all of this is on very short notice," Taehyung was leaning against the counter with Jeongguk while his aunt made him a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and Jeongguk a bowl of his favorite cereal.

"Don't worry about me. I'm worried about you two," June waved them off, going over to the cabinet to get them glasses of water. "You drove a lot."

"The drive wasn't bad," Taehyung said, thanking her when she handed him a glass. June hummed softly, watching the two awkwardly settle by the island with their food.

"And I didn't mind it," Taehyung added. "I heard his mom was sick, and I couldn't watch him suffer from being away from you guys."

Jeongguk ducked his head, eating his cereal as he tried to hide his blush from his aunt.

"I see. You're a sweet boy," June nodded, chuckling a little. "Thank you. It's hard to be together since our Jeonggukie's career is so important."

"June, you know you guys are more important to me," Jeongguk cut in, brows furrowing. "I'd do anything for you guys. Going to the Olympics won't matter if mom isn't there."

"And she will be there," June murmured. "You see, Taehyung, he's a worrier. He worries way too much! But I'm glad," She said quietly, pausing briefly before saying—

"To have my Jeongguk, and someone who makes him happy."

"June," Jeongguk set his spoon back into his cereal bowl, his entire features burning red. She simply chuckled and shook her head, holding her hand up to silence him.

"I'll take that as my leave," June waved at Taehyung. "Goodnight both of you! I'll see you in the morning." And with that, she left the kitchen with one last wink in Jeongguk's direction.

When she was gone, Taehyung let out a snort, "I love your family. I can see where the chaotic energy came from."

Jeongguk rolled his eyes, nudging his side, unable to bite back the smile twitching onto his lips. "Shut up."

"Will do, Princess," Taehyung chuckled, going back to eating his sandwich after pealing all the crust off. Jeongguk stared down at his cereal bowl, wondering why he was worrying in the first place.

Everything worked out better than he imagined, and he guessed that maybe introducing Taehyung was a good idea after all.

︎♡︎♡︎♡

After they showered separately and groaning about exhausted they were, finally Jeongguk opened the door to his childhood bedroom.

"Welcome to my humble abode," Jeongguk shut the door behind him once Taehyung went inside.

"You call this humble?" Taehyung snorted, setting his backpack by the foot of Jeongguk bed as he stared directly at Jeongguk's trophy wall. Oh that.

Jeongguk stood by the side of his bed, watching the older take in his surroundings. He never let anyone into his room, not even his old friends, so this was odd, seeing Taehyung in here. But for some reason, he had to admit, it felt right.

"You won awards for everything. Top student, MVP, even popular awards? This is bragging," Taehyung chuckled, gesturing at the bookcase of gold. There wasn't any silver or bronze around.

"I don't know why I put them there. It's supposed to be a volleyball trophy case," Jeongguk said, running his hands through his slightly damp hair. He turned on the lamp on his side table before shutting off the actual lights.

"Still. I've won only academic awards. This is like a shrine to yourself," The older snorted, observing old volleyball team pictures with little Jeongguk.

"Oh my god! No way! Your hair! It was a coconut!"

"Are you bullying me?" Jeongguk raised an eyebrow at him, sitting down on the side of the bed. "I loved my bowl cut, thank you."

"Goodness, you were a fetus here!" Taehyung laughed, pointing at a picture of Jeongguk holding up his first volleyball medal with missing front teeth and huge front bangs.

"Stop bullying me. I'm hurt, Specs," The younger said, trying to sound annoyed but failing. "Come here already, I'm tired."

"You have Haikyuu posters!"

"Oh my god, you actual weeb!" Taehyung wheezed pointing at the posters he hung on his walls as a premature preeteen. "Okay, I have these too though. I'm a sucker for Hinata and Kageyama."

"Sailor Moon? You were a Sailor Moon fan boy? Jeongguk that's prime twink behavior," The older was clutching his stomach when spun around, facing him.

"I had a crush on her okay," Jeongguk muttered, trying to play it cool as Taehyung walked over to him and plopped down right beside him.

"Am I the twink, or are you the twink?" Taehyung teased, elbowing his side playfully. "Goodness, who are you? Are you my Jeongguk?"

"Yes, I'm your Jeongguk," He rolled his eyes, gently shoving him back. "That was an old phase, Specs. I bet you have Winx Club posters on top of your Barbie collection."

"Okay, fine touché," He snorted, calming down from the laughter bubbling in his tummy. "God, we were nerds. You, were a nerd, and I missed it."

Jeongguk scoffed, poking Taehyung's side. "Stop. You're giving me flashbacks to dark times. I thought you seeing my emo bangs were enough."

"It was," Taehyung exhaled, the laughter fading from his words as his gaze latched on to Jeongguk's. "It was enough. You... are enough."

"I'm enough?" Jeongguk asked, voice softening. The older nodded, swallowing.

"Yes, you are more than enough," He breathed. "Way more than I ever needed, honestly."

"Specs," The younger murmured.

"Jeongguk?"

He didn't know what possessed him in that moment, not even a single thought ran through his mind, as he reached up, cupped his face in his hands and placed his lips over his.

Realizing what he did, Jeongguk's eyes widened as he pulled away. But before he could move, the older clamped his fingers around his wrist, holding him in place, their noses brushing against one another's.

"It's okay," Taehyung whispered, breath tickling his lips. "Kiss me."

And he did, he kissed him, lips capturing his and finally letting out this sigh of relief through his nose as every inch of him melted in Taehyung in that one moment. He closed his eyes, holding onto him, lips brushing over his tentatively, caressing his mouth.

It was gentle— not too rushed, not too heated. All he wanted to do was remember the softness of his lips on his own, drugging him by the way he intoxicated him, making him addicted all over again. 

"I missed you," Jeongguk mumbled against his lips before connecting their lips again. "Fuck, I missed you, Specs."

He lowered Taehyung onto the bed, body on top of his as he pressed the side of his nose to the curve of his jaw. "I missed you." He repeated, tilting his head to the side, lips brushing against his jaw.

"I missed you too," Taehyung murmured, releasing his grip from his wrists and slipped his arms around his neck. "Missed you so much."

They kissed, again, and now Jeongguk was losing count. He kissed him to remember all the reasons why he wanted to, and at the same time forgot as he lost himself in the sickeningly sweet way he tasted like home and every other feeling in between.

The atmosphere shifted as Taehyung's fingers drifted into his hair, gently running through his locks. Jeongguk tilted his head, deepening the kiss, the tight-lipped exchange being pushed aside with the addition of his tongue.

The older's jaw slacked, allowing him to kiss him in a way that seemed to open more than just their lips. He licked at his mouth, tongues clashing, twirling, curling, wet and warm. Tingles shot down every inch of his limbs, his nerves practically on override.

He was overwhelmed— overwhelmed by Taehyung, who smelled like fresh flowers and sugary vanilla. By the way he tasted of faint toothpaste, and how his fingers tugged at the little tangles he forgot to brush out, stroking his neck.

Their bodies curved into one another, fitting perfect like puzzles, and the longer Jeongguk kissed him with every fiber of need he had, the more detailed of a painted memory of Taehyung developed in his mind that he couldn't erase.

Taehyung was the first to pull away, their heavy pants filling the hazy, orange tinged room thanks to the lamp Jeongguk turned on. Jeongguk glanced down at him, body hovering over his.

He swiped at the edge of his mouth, breaking the string of saliva that connected their mouths. The older's features crinkled with a smile, and Jeongguk wanted to give him his heart right there.

"I don't think we should," Jeongguk murmured, bringing his finger up to gently trace his cheek bone. "I want to, but we should wait."

"We should," Taehyung whispered, leaning his head to the side, pressing a kiss to the side of his palm.

Jeongguk's finger curled around one of his strands of blue hair, twirling it around his finger. "Thank you."

"For what?" The older asked, as Jeongguk rolled off of him and rested on his back. Although, their bodies were still pressed together side by side.

"For bringing me here," Jeongguk told him. "You didn't have to do this, and you did. You did, and so I should thank you. You better take it."

"I'll take it," Taehyung murmured, chuckling a little. He shifted to the side, the younger following in suit. He felt his eyes on him, but he was focused with the way Taehyung took his hand in his.

"But I want to thank you," He added.

"Because if it wasn't for you, I'd be so lost. I'm so glad you came into my life even though you called me Porky." At that, Jeongguk let out a laugh.

He played with his fingers, intertwining their hands, tracing the veins on his knuckles and down to his wrist. He slid their fingers together before finally taking his hand in his, bringing it up, and kissing it before resting over his heart.

"That was gay," Jeongguk said, trying to lighten up the mood. Everything was suffocating around the older, but to him, the pain was worth it.

"You're partially gay," Taehyung's features glowed with a ghost of a smile flickering over his lips. He flushed red, heart squeezing feeling the way the older's chest rumbled with deep laughter.

"You know, my family probably thinks we're dating," The younger hummed, struggling to keep his eyes up at Taehyung freed his other hand to start tracing his features.

"They're lovely," He chuckled again, finger running down the slope of Jeongguk's nose. "I don't mind."

"Have you ever pictured it?" Jeongguk asked, leaning into his touch as his fingers drew around the shape of his eyebrows.

"Pictured what?" Taehyung asked, finger drifting around the shape of his lips.

"Picture you and I together. Us," He whispered. "I think it's weird, don't you think?"

"It's weird," The older agreed. "The guy who actually wins your heart will be lucky." At that, he snorted ever so softly.

"Eh. I don't give my heart away easily," Jeongguk joked, and when Taehyung was done tracing every feature, he did the same, outlining it with a gentle touch. "I'm sure nobody will love me."

"Sure there are people out there who love you," Taehyung replied, voice growing weary. He watched as his eyelids flutter shut as he traced around his slightly swollen upper lip.

"Maybe, but I'll never know," Jeongguk said. "I don't think 'saying I love you' is enough."

"What do you mean?" Taehyung whispered, leaning into his touch.

"I don't believe in saying three words to confirm a feeling for someone," Jeongguk admitted. "I think you have to show it, to let them feel the way you feel for them."

"How sappy of you," The older snorted softly, lighting hitting his chest. "I kissed a sap."

Jeongguk's hand dropped, done tracing Taehyung's features because he already memorized them all. He rested his arm behind his head, watching as the older was slowly about to fall asleep, yet their hands were still tightly intertwined.

"Have you ever been in love?" Jeongguk asked, letting his eyes fall shut, content with Taehyung's hand in his own.

"Yeah," Taehyung replied back, words barely audible. "Have you?"

"I don't know," Jeongguk murmured, feeling himself slip away. "But I might be."

♡︎♡︎♡

that felt so personal i felt
like i was intruding on them💀
also i love talking to you guys (: you
make me feel the happiest💛 i love u

anyways a question, and it's not a
trick question although it may seem dumb
but who do you think taehyung's in
love with RIGHT NOW 👀

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

131K 7.7K 82
A collections of short stories about JinKook. Not so genuine. Update whenever I want. If you can't handle harsh words, swearing and bad boys, skip a...
11.7K 757 12
"What a coincidenc-" "I thought Mina was coming with you?" [one set of twins. one boy. one-sided love.] In which popular boy, Jeon Jeongguk, is in de...
311K 13.8K 56
What if you used to be the bad boy in your school. Always teasing this one person. Then something happens that you never see them again. Until 3 y...
320K 15.6K 53
Taehyung and Jungkook are childhood bestfriends. They love to hang out with each other. Night outs, parties , sleep over they are never alone. Taehy...