PAIN | Jasper Hale [1]

By typicalwriternerd

"It all started with a look." Dorothea Summers or "Thea", lost a lot in her short life. After a rather recent... More

~PREFACE~
~PROLOGUE~
~CHAPTER 1: ARRIVAL~
~CHAPTER 2: SCHOOL~
~CHAPTER 3: INCIDENT~
~CHAPTER 4: SHOPPING~
~CHAPTER 6: ACCIDENT~
~CHAPTER 7: THE BIG BAD SECRET~
~CHAPTER 8: VAMPIRES?~
~CHAPTER 9: SUNNY DAY~
~CHAPTER 10: MONSTER~
~CHAPTER 11: PART OF FAMILY~
~CHAPTER 12: IT WAS YOU~
~CHAPTER 13: NORMAL~
~CHAPTER 14: SLEEPOVER WITH VAMPIRES~
~CHAPTER 15: VAMPIRE BASEBALL~
~CHAPTER 16: AWAY FROM HOME~
~CHAPTER 17: I LOVE YOU~
~CHAPTER 18: AWAKENING~
~CHAPTER 19: TOGETHER AGAIN~
~CHAPTER 20: HAPPILY EVER AFTER... OR IS IT?~
Part II

~CHAPTER 5: A PROMISE~

23.2K 598 495
By typicalwriternerd

(edited: 15.08.22)

ONCE the sun came up, I got out of my bed feeling oddly well rested, as I only woke up three times tonight. I looked in the mirror and saw that the shadows under my eyes were looking a bit better than normally, which made me smile a bit. I went to open my window, smiling as the scent of rain filled my room.

For a while I just stood next to the window enjoying the scent, but hearing my phone ring I frowned and went to pick it up. I noticed that it was Alice.

"Hello?" I asked, feeling confused as to why she would call me at six in the morning.

"Hi! I hope that I didn't wake you up?" Alice greeted, sounding excited for some reason.

"No, I just got up." I answered, feeling slightly nervous after our last conversation.

"Good! Now, it's time to get serious." she said in a serious voice, making me feel worried.

"What do you mean?" I asked, silently cursing myself for my outburst back in the car on Saturday. I should've acted like I'm fine and not gotten defensive.

"You need my help!"

"With what?"

I heard her bell-like laugh "With getting ready for today! We can't have all these clothes go to waste. So, I want you to wear the dark blue dress today. You can pair it up with the black boots and some tights, so you won't get too cold. Then try and put on at least some make up, like I explained to you at the store."

"Wait, why should I get so... dressed up?" I asked with a frown, not really feeling like doing all that.

"You're not getting dressed up! You, young lady, are becoming a fashionable young woman!"

"Yeah... sure, Alice." I answered with a snort.

"Okay, enough with the sarcasm! You have a lot of work to do! I expect to see you at the parking lot before school!" with that she hung up, leaving me confused.

Sighing I put down my phone and went to take a shower, after that I returned to my room. With a sigh I dressed in the clothes that Alice told me to wear, although I put on a t-shirt underneath the dress. Then I applied some mascara and lip gloss. I left my short hair alone, not feeling the need to do more.

I took my backpack and went to the kitchen to make myself some coffee.

"Morning." I greeted Charlie, who was just leaving for work.

"Yeah, hey kid." he said looking up from zipping his jacket, before looking up again in shock "Wow, and what's got you so dressed up?"

I blushed and played with the long skirt of the dress "My friend.. she, uh wanted me to wear this today."

"Oh... that's em... nice. Okay kiddo have a nice day, I've got to go." awkwardly responded Charlie, but before shutting the door he said "You look really pretty, Thea. But do wear a jacket." and with that said, he was gone.

"Thanks..." I replied to the empty room, smiling softly at Charlie's awkwardness.

About fifteen minutes later me and Bella were hurrying to the car, as we were late because she overslept. In all this hurry, Bella of course had to fall on her ass, on the ice that was next to the stairs.

"Fuck, Bella! Are you okay?" I asked, picking her up.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Ice unfortunately doesn't really help the uncoordinated." she said with a small laugh.

I smiled and rolled my eyes "Alright, let's go! We're going to be late!"

The drive to school took us less than twenty minutes, which thankfully meant that we still had at least a few minutes before our classes started.

As we got out of the car, I continued fussing with my dress, feeling grateful that at the last minute I put on some gym shorts underneath. While the skirt was down to my calf, I still felt weirdly exposed. Especially as a gust of wind passed by, making me wrap my jacket tightly around me.

"We should head inside, you'll catch a cold." Bella advised.

I sighed "Yeah, remind me to never listen to Alice Cullen again."

Bella nodded with a small laugh and just as we started heading towards the building, I heard someone call me. I turned to see that it was Alice, she was standing with her siblings next to their cars. I also noticed that Jasper and Edward were back.

I couldn't help but turn to Bella "The rude boy is back. You wanna go and confront?"

Bella blushed and shook her head "Not right now, I'll wait and see how Biology works out."

With that she quickly left me and went inside the building. I sighed and slowly made my way towards Alice.

"Hey." I greeted all of them, with my eyes stopping on Jasper for a bit longer.

Alice squeaked and hugged me "You look beautiful! You should wear more dresses, but ditch the t-shirt."

I huffed "Have you seen the weather? It's way too cold for a dress."

She opened her mouth to argue, but then her eyes swept through the other students, who were all wearing long sleeves and or jackets. Then her eyes finally found the ice that lingered in some places and she frowned.

"Oh, right. Sorry, I didn't notice..."

Frowning I was ready to ask how she could not notice, but I was quickly swept in the air, making me yelp and my captor laugh. Emmett spinned me around a couple of times before putting me on the ground saying "You clean up nice, Red."

I looked up at him, cheeks flushed and heart pumping wildly "Thanks, but you could warn someone before doing all that. Jesus, now at least I'm not cold anymore..."

When my head stopped spinning, I found Edward standing by his car brooding and looking at me.

"Hey there, you better be ready. Bella has a lot of questions about the stunt you pulled."

He looked at me, as if he was trying to figure something out, before asking "And you don't?"

"It's none of my business. But I recently got into a fight, so you never actually know."

Edward looked shocked at my response before nodding and walking away.

And finally my brown eyes met Jasper's black ones. He smiled at me softly and I smiled back at him, walking past Rosalie and closer to him.

My hands played with the dress again, as I asked "You're alright?"

"Yes" he answered, letting out a breath.

We stared at each other not even needing words, I felt that everything was alright and something told me that he felt the same. It was a bizarre feeling but I accepted it.

"We'll see you guys at lunch." said Alice, as she and her siblings left us.

"That's good, I was kinda worried." I said to him, unable to stop myself from being completely honest.

"I apologize... I didn't mean to make you worry." he admitted with a guilty expression.

I smiled and shook my head, feeling my neck ache from looking up at him, but I ignored that.

"Don't apologize to me, just don't disappear like that again. At least leave me a message or something... I thought that your parents got you grounded or something like that."

"I won't disappear again. I promise, Thea." he whispered, as his accent got thicker. Jasper took my hand into his cold and large one, showing me that he meant what he said.

"Okay..." I whispered, squeezing softly his hand, we stood there all alone for a moment looking into each other's eyes. I noticed that Jasper's black eyes were getting slightly lighter the longer I stared at them.

"We should go, the Chemistry class is about to start." Jasper reminded, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Oh, yeah. Wait, we have Chemistry together?" I questioned as we started walking.

Jasper smirked and said "Yes, ma'am."

"Well then, I hope that you're good at it. Because I suck," I responded as we entered the school.

That for some reason made Jasper laugh "Fortunately, I don't suck at Chemistry."

"Good, then you'll be my savior, Mr. Hale,"

"Always, Miss Summers." he answered, while opening the door for me, letting me in. The teacher was still absent, but everyone was weirdly looking at us, making me frown and look down just to see that Jasper and I were still holding hands. I blushed, feeling uncomfortable and embarrassed, as Jasper simply led me to the last desk where we sat down together.

I finally let go of Jasper's hand and started to look for my notebook and pen, when I looked at Jasper again his black eyes were focused on my bruised knuckles. When he noticed that I was looking, he turned away to grab his own notebook.

Soon the teacher appeared and the lesson began, "Hello class. Your task for today is to make a colored fire pine cone."

I tensed at the word fire feeling anxiety and fear within me grow stronger. I jumped, as a cold hand grabbed my hand, squeezing it gently. I looked up at Jasper who sent me a calming smile. I relaxed a bit, but it was a strong wave of comfort and calmness washing over me that made me relax further.

The teacher gave us our pine cone along with the chemicals that we needed to make it burn, and said that we had an entire lesson for it to happen.

I took a deep breath and reached for one of the chemicals, but Jasper grabbed it before I could "I'll do it. You can just sit and watch, it'll be safer that way."

"Okay... thank you." I whispered and watched as Jasper worked swiftly and fast. Making me wonder if he ever did it before.

In the middle of the lesson one of the girls in the class screamed, making me and the whole class look at her, that's when I noticed that her desk caught on fire and was buring. I jumped from my chair making it fall on the floor, but before I could run I felt someone grab my arm.

It was Jasper.

He stood in front of me, so I wouldn't look at the fire. I let out a trembling breath and reached out to grip his wrist with my free hand.

"I'm fine, I'm fine, I'm fine..." I whispered trying not to hear all the commotion that was coming from the teacher and other students.

"Yes, you are." Jasper whispered and started rubbing my arm.

Soon the screams stopped as the teacher put out the fire, then he said that we have to leave the classroom. He probably should've said that when the fire started, but what can you do?

Jasper stepped back from where I still stood somewhat shaken, and then led me out of the classroom, easily taking our things with him.

"W-where are we going?" I asked him, trying to calm my breathing.

"Outside, you need to breathe." he answered, his hand briefly squeezing mind as I trembled.

My breathing got better, as we got outside and stopped by what I assumed was Jasper's car. I leaned against it and put my hand on my forehead, going through everything in my head.

To be completely honest, what scared me worse was the fact that I couldn't breathe in my panic. It reminded me of that night on the roof, even more than the fire did.

"What can I do to help?" Jasper asked, his hand still in mine.

"Sorry, I'm fine... I just..." I sighed not knowing what to do or say.

Suddenly he let go of me and unlocked his car, placing our things on the back seat.

"Wha–What are you doing?"

"I... I'm taking you to my place. If you'll allow." he responded, stopping briefly.

"Why not to my house?" I asked, rubbing my chest as it still felt heavy from my panic attack.

"Because there, Chief Swan could walk in any moment and know that you skipped school." he explained in a calm tone.

"And won't your parents be angry that you've brought me with you and skipped school?"

"Carlisle is at work and Esme will probably be over the moon to finally meet you." he explained with a small smile.

"Why?"

Jasper smirked, explaining "Because she heard all about you from Alice, there's not a moment when my dear sister doesn't talk about you. Sometimes it feels like she's talked about you for years."

I blushed red and looked at him with wide eyes, as he casually reached out for me and led me inside the car. I watched as he closed the door and went around to the driver's side.

Normally I wouldn't feel too good to be alone with a guy like this, but he felt different. It was like there was a calmness around him that made me gravitate towards him and his siblings.

To be truthful, I bonded to them faster than to Bella. Maybe because they were just so... easy to be around. They never made me talk to them or to spill my guts about everything, they understood that I'll talk to them when I'm ready.

That was a trait that I loved about them, because ever since that night, everyone was always asking me about everything, wanting me to pour my heart out to them. And with the Cullens it was different, even after Alice and Rose tried to pry something out of me, they still backed off when I shut them down.

The drive was calm but quick, Jasper seemed to be driving fast but still knowing what's dangerous and what's not. By the time we got to his house, I was calm but my hands still shook a little. It made me feel embarrassed that I had completely broken down right in front of Jasper and now his mother will see me like this.

As if he sensed my embarrassment and nerves Jasper squeezed my hand that he held through the entire drive here "There's no reason for you to feel embarrassed Thea, everyone has the right to feel scared. Especially you."

I nodded at him, wondering what he means by "especially you". Maybe he heard about what happened that night, before I could continue to think about it Jasper got out of the car and went to open the car door for me. He held out his hand and helped me to get out of the car. That's when I saw his house and it made me nearly drop my jaw, it was modern and beautiful.

"Your house is beautiful." I said to Jasper with a small smile.

"Esme will be happy to hear that." he answered with a smile and led me through the front door. The air inside was quite cold, but I didn't mind it, feeling too nervous to meet Jasper's mother.

Jasper put his hand on my lower back as we started walking up the stairs, then he led me to what seemed to be a living room. There I saw a beautiful caramel haired woman, she was smiling at us as if she knew that we were coming. She walked up to us and said.

"Hello, you must be Dorothea. It's a pleasure to finally meet you dear"

I smiled widely at her warm greeting "And it's a great pleasure to meet you as well Mrs. Cullen. Your children speak very highly of you."

Mrs. Cullen's golden eyes sparkled at the mention of her children, I could see that she loved them very much.

"Oh please call me Esme."

"Only if you promise to call me Thea." I responded not being able to get the smile off of my face, the woman was just so welcoming and warm. It made me remember my own mother.

"Of course Thea." then she looked at Jasper and said "Jasper, give Thea a tour of the house while I go grocery shopping. Do you like spaghetti dear?"

I blushed "Yes, but please don't make trouble for yourself. I'll eat when I get home."

"Nonsens, it's no trouble! Now go and have fun." with that, Esme left the house.

I looked up at Jasper and whispered, still enchanted by the woman "Your mother is very kind."

He nodded at me "Yes, she is. Now let me show you around." Jasper showed me around the house, with his hand still on my lower back. The house was very clean and bright, thanks to the large windows that let the light inside. Soon we were standing at the door that Jasper opened for me saying "And this is my room."

The room seemed to look a bit older than other ones, thanks to the old wooden furniture. There was a massive desk right next to the window, on it everything was perfectly organized just like everything else in the room. One of the walls was covered by bookshelves and a dresser, while at the other wall there was a large bed. The walls were forest green, making me feel at ease.

"Your room is beautiful." I walked towards one of the walls staring at the paint "The color of the walls is quite calming and nice."

I turned to look at Jasper who was looking at me with a soft look in his now dark golden eyes, it confused me that the color of his eyes was changing. Maybe it's a medical condition.

"Thank you, I have to admit that I find this color quite calming as well." he said with a smile, before continuing "It helps."

"It's good to have something grounding you, isn't it?" I replied, looking out the window enjoying the view of the forest.

"Yes, it is..." I turned to see him looking at me once again, as if he hadn't looked away from me ever since we entered "Would you like to sit down?" he asked, motioning towards the bed.

"Sure." I responded while walking towards the bed, as soon as I sat down Jasper joined me. Although he kept a respectful distance between us. I sighed and spoke up "Jasper... after today, I know that I owe you an explanation."

He took my hand and responded "Thea, you don't owe me anything. You'll tell me everything when you're ready."

"No, I want to tell you. You're my friend Jasper... and I feel that I can trust you." I stated, looking into his dark golden eyes, he held my gaze and finally responded.

"Alright but as soon as you feel uncomfortable, you'll stop."

I nodded "I will, I promise." then I took a deep breath and started telling him about what happened that night. I told him about every little detail, tears were streaming down my cheeks and my hand was squeezing Jasper's so hard that I was a bit worried that it might hurt him. By the end of my story Jasper pulled me to his chest, running his cold hands through my short auburn hair.

"An–And then they found me in my backyard, lying on the grass as my house was burning. T-they said that I must've got down the ladder, but that's impossible! I remember passing out, choking in my panic! I-I don't know how I got out..."

"Shhh... it's okay, Darlin'. I'm sure that... it all will be explained one day. The important thing is that you're alive and well." Jasper comforted.

"No! I'm not well! I'm a big fuck up!" I jumped out of his embrace and started pacing around the room, rubbing my cheeks in anger as if that would stop the tears.

"Jasper, I don't sleep, eat or even act normal! I don't leave the house, I jump and wake up at the slightest touch from someone, I can't talk to anybody besides Charlie, you and your family. I'm all alone in this world... and I'm just tired, okay? I am... I am not fine!"

Seconds after I stopped talking, Jasper was at my side, his hand on my shoulder as he spoke.

"Don't say that. You're not alone, Charlie is with you, Bella is with you, my family is with you and I am with you Darlin'. I'm not leaving you okay? I'm here for you, I always will be."

"D-don't make a promise that you can't keep. Everyone dies or leaves eventually Jasper." I argued, rubbing my face again not wanting to cry.

"Not me, Darlin'... not me. I will never leave you, no matter what happens." he stated, before adding slowly "We're... I mean, that's what friends are for right?"

I nodded, before looking at him with a glare "Okay then Cowboy, if you ever decide to toss this promise out of the fucking window. I'll kick your arse."

Jasper laughed and said "I wouldn't have it any other way, Darlin'." 

What do you think about Thea finally telling about everything Jasper?
Will Jasper tell her about what he is, or will he wait for her to discover that?

If you have any question or idea please leave a comment ;)

(post edit note:)

Another couple of edits, I hope that everything is better.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

464K 16.3K 57
B O O K T W O ; Christina Swan had only managed to survive the first year of supernatural, but things were starting to heat up. She didn't want to f...
290K 7.5K 22
phos·phenes /ˈfäsfēn/ 𝘯𝘰𝘶𝘯 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐬 𝐨𝐫 "𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐬" 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐬𝐞𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐫𝐮𝐛 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐞𝐲𝐞𝐬. - Summer was the complet...
176K 8.9K 35
𝘰𝘰𝘰. ┋【 𝐁𝐎𝐑𝐍 𝐓𝐎 𝐃𝐈𝐄 】- 𝘤𝘢𝘶𝘴𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘪, 𝘸𝘦 𝘸𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘣𝘰𝘳𝘯 𝘵𝘰 𝘥𝘪𝘦 ☁️. *. ⋆ ੈ✩‧ ೃ⁀➷ - - - 𝑰𝑵 𝑾𝑯𝑰𝑪𝑯... she cann...
9.2K 451 5
in which lorraine hawthorne wasn't always lorraine hawthorne, for once she was not only a killer but a monster. „i'm not supposed to engage myself wi...