Ghost King Meets Batman

By Sparrow-_-2020

Nico di Angelo gets adopted by Bruce Wayne after Batman witnesses him stalking around a cemetery in Gotham in... More

Gotham Cemetery
Meeting The Family
Demigod Dreams
Hobbies
Shopping/Cousins/Patrol
So Not Asterous
Nico & Diana
You're Not My Uncle
A Day of Discovery
I Wish I Knew
Pranks
Momma Ivy?
Exposed
The Great Escape
Learning How To Family...
Nothing is Ever Simple With You
Murphy's Law
The Third Degree
Tagged
Where's Percy?
Enter Justice League
Secondhand State of Mind
Camp Jupiter
The Consultant
Explaining My World
Roman Eagles
Where's Jason?
Enter Ghost
Ghost v Mount Justice
Day One: Death Dude?
Poison Ivy
It's Starting
Jason Grace
Minor Criminal Acts
Stop Bullying A/N
Deathstroke Sucks
People are Complicated
Spilled Fruit Loops
Batman Returns... Home
A Deal With Death
Death has Left the Building
The Unicorn Incident
Crash the Party
Be Prepared
Annabeth has Hope
Trials & Tribulations
The Darkness Inside
What Is My Legacy?
What The Hell
Hazel in Wonderland
Two Nuclear Bombs Meet
The Ball Starts Rolling
They Grow Up So Fast
Farewell
Sense of Normalcy
Last Days on Earth
Head First Into The Abyss
June 23rd
Goddess of Misery
June 24th
Eventful day in Hell
June 25th
An Angel's Breath
June 26th
Get Off Your High Horse
Meanwhile
Here Comes the Calvary
A Peak Inside
Out Comes The Truth
Cloak and Dagger Ops
Knock Knock It's Therapy
#Nico is the new Waldo
Girl's Trip!

We're off to Save Death!

14.6K 629 1K
By Sparrow-_-2020

[Edited July 26, 2022]

[This chapter is dedicated to MonkeyGirl516 without whom I would have probably abandoned this concept.]

[Artwork by Ayesha_Hafidz please comment and let them know what you think!]

That night Nico stayed in the barracks with the fifth cohort but he didn't sleep. Instead, he laid awake in his borrowed bunk and listened to everyone around him breathe. It was surreal. The son of Hades wasn't used to the proximity to this many beings who breathed. Even in the manor, their rooms were fairly spread out through the house and you couldn't really hear what was going on inside. Here there were no walls to keep the sounds out.

From his position, Nico could clearly see Percy who slept in the bunk next to him. His face kept contorting so Nico knew he was dreaming. This was reminiscent of the last time Percy had been in Gotham, Nico's first and last true slumber party. As they had been getting ready for bed, Percy had clearly been trying to get him alone long enough to question him, so Nico had made sure that he wasn't alone for a second. He wished he could have sat and caught Percy up on everything, but the more he said, the more danger Percy would be in. For now, he had to be kept at an arm's length.

Just when Nico was about to close his eyes, an Iris message popped up in front of his face and he almost screamed. It was Annabeth and she clearly had some news for him. News that he did not want the Romans overhearing.

"Nico!" She started but the demigod shushed her.

"Call back in a minute." He whispered, wiping his hand through the message. He looked around and was pleased to see that no one had stirred. He hoped that if anyone was awake that they just assumed that it was a phone call or something. He didn't want to have to explain what an Iris Message was. The last thing they needed is for a curious Roman asking to be connected to Jason Grace and discover Camp Halfblood. That is what Bruce would consider a security breach. he needed a place where he wouldn't be disturbed-- he had to get to his father's temple.

Nico took one last look at Percy's sleeping form, feeling guilty that he couldn't just tell Annabeth where he was or even wake him and show him the message. They were feet apart but didn't know the other was there. Nico shadow traveled to the temple and moved behind it in order to block himself from the view of the camp. A short while later Annabeth's face popped back up. He expected her to ask about why he cut her off but she was too excited.

"We got a lead!" She said as he opened his mouth to apologize.

"What?"

"On Percy! He popped up in California. Tyson is on his way there now. Leo's finishing up the Argo any day now and we will be on our way to meet him!" Nico blinked a few times as he processed this. The ambassador of Pluto cursed mentally. This just got complicated.

"Really? That's great! I told you we'd find him. Any idea why he's there?" Annabeth shook her head.

"No, I was hoping you'd have some idea." Nico pretended to consider the question for a few long moments before he slowly shook his head, feeling bad for lying to her.

" I don't know much about what is happening in California. As you know, it isn't really safe for us out there."

"I know. And I know that it is a lot to ask, but I was wondering if you could go check?" Annabeth seemed at least a little apologetic for asking him to dive headfirst into the monster-infested state by himself, but her need to find Percy outweighed her concern. Nico sighed, knowing that he'd have to let her down.

"I can't Annabeth, my father has me trying to keep the Underworld in order. Something is really wrong down here." He told her. It was true that the Underworld was probably in chaos, though Nico definitely wasn't there.

"That's ok." It sounded like she meant the opposite, "I understand. What's going on?" The son of Hades told her about people trying to escape the dead and how the newly dead aren't always staying dead and spun a whole tale for her. She nodded in consideration.

"We've noticed it too. You mean to say that it isn't just monsters coming back?" he nodded in agreement.

"This could be a good chance to bring back Bianca... if you wanted to..." she suggested, watching his reaction closely. At first, Nico thought that she had found out about Hazel until he realized that that was impossible. Plus, he had only told Percy that Bianca was missing and he wasn't in the habit of sharing personal info so Annabeth probably had no idea about the new development.

"I couldn't even if I wanted to. Bianca tried for rebirth." He told the daughter of Athena. Annabeth didn't seem surprised.

"I'm sorry." Nico waved her apology away. There was nothing that could be said that would take away the pain, only time could heal some wounds.

"Good luck Annabeth. I have to go. Be careful, ok?" He told her. She assured him that she would and he cut the connection. The son of Hades gave himself a few long minutes in the coll night air before he shadow traveled back to the barracks, landing just outside the building. Nico opened the door and snuck back in. As he did, he saw that Frank was sitting up in his bunk rubbing his face. The son of Hades stopped in front of his bunk awkwardly, unsure if he should say anything or pretend he hadn't noticed. The son of Mars clearly hadn't heard him approach and seemed to be deep in his thoughts. Eventually, Nico decided to speak.

"Are you ok?" he whispered. Frank's head jerked up and he squinted into the darkness. The disguised demigod slipped into the light that shone through the window to make it easier for Frank to see him. The moon was bright and the sky was clear so he must have been pretty visible.

"Oh, hey Nico. What are you doing up?" The larger boy seemed to steel himself, taking on a strong facade that didn't match his body language. Nico didn't call him out on it.

"Too many living people." He chuckled to himself, though Frank didn't seem to think it was very funny.

"That was a joke, Frank."

"Oh, sorry. I'm just a bit distracted." He apologized.

"I'm not really known for my humor." Nico allowed tolerantly and Frank, to his credit, nodded absently. Nico watched the other boy for a few more pregnant moments before he broke the silence again. If he was going to stand there, he might as well try to help.

"Are you worried about the quest, the claiming, or the fragility of your life?" Frank looked like Nico had pulled a gun on him. He guessed, in a way, it was a similar situation. Perhaps the part-time vigilante should have been a bit more tactful with his question but he was tired of beating around the bush all the time. It was much simpler to just ask the questions and worry about feelings later.

"How did you..?"

"I'm the son of Pluto. Of course, I know about that nasty little curse."

"Does Hazel know too, then?" His face paled.

"No, she doesn't have any domain over death. You don't need to worry, your secret is safe with me." The son of the Underworld assured him-- dead men tell no tales. The son of War didn't question it but seemed relieved nonetheless. War and Death-- two things that always went hand in hand.

"Great, that's good at least. I'm worried about the quest, I guess." He admitted. The greek nodded, that was understandable.

"I've seen many great leaders, Frank. Trust me, you're going to be one of them." Frank eyed him uncomfortably-- clearly questioning the smaller boy's sanity. Whether it was because Nico was the one saying it or his confidence in himself was just that low, was hard to tell.

"Don't worry, you don't have to take my word for it. You'll see it for yourself." Nico walked back over to his bunk and pulled himself up.

"How do you know?" The son of Hades sat on top of the bunk facing him and considered the question for a moment. It was partly how he took control on the battlefield and how children of war often found their claims to greatness if their father had anything to say about it. It was also partly the fact that he was good at picking the people he could trust. Frank had an instinct for people that would serve him well. Instead of saying any of that he said,

"The gods don't give that curse to just anybody. That's a pretty nasty curse and, usually, the bigger the risk the greater the destiny. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's a gift, but it is definitely an omen. The power you will wield is so great that it must be evened out by a great vulnerability." He explained. Nico knew it wouldn't comfort him much, if at all, but it was also the truth. Frank deserved the truth.

"The burned stick of destiny... great," Frank muttered, turning his back on him. Nico wished he could help more but he couldn't find the words so he simply pulled the covers over himself and fell asleep. That night he dreamt of jumping into the pit. Falling and falling and falling. It got to the point that he didn't know which way was up or down. He couldn't tell how long he had been falling or how close he was to the ground. When he woke up, he could still feel the weightlessness.

[June 20th]

There was a little light coming in the room so Nico figured that it had to be almost dawn. He grabbed his black toga (seriously?) and left the barracks before anyone else had the chance to wake up and talk to him. He made his way to the dining hall undisturbed. A nymph brought him a chocolate chip muffin as soon as he stepped inside. He took it gratefully and ate it on the way to the park just outside the Pomeranian line. He settled himself under a tree and finished his breakfast. He spent the rest of the time putting on the toga, which is just as awful as it sounds. At least it was black. Luckily, he remembered how to put one on from the demonstration Julius Caesar had given him one day in the Underworld. Don't ask.

A short while later Nico got tired of waiting and shadow traveled to the dining hall to look for Gwen. He found her sitting among the other centurions picking at her food. She clearly hadn't slept well. Nico had arrived just in time for Reyna to announce that it was time to go so he fell into step alongside Gwen as the group made their way to the forum.

"How are you feeling today?" Nico asked carefully. He didn't want to press her if she didn't feel like talking. this was going to be a lot for her to come to terms with and the last thing that he wanted to do was make her shut down. She needed to talk to someone about it. Nico vaguely regretted not taking Batman's interpersonal communication lessons. If ever there was a time he wanted to know how to be personable. Luckily, Gwen didn't seem to mind.

"Better, thanks." Gwen seemed more relaxed than she had the day before.

"So what are you thinking about?" He prompted.

"I'm leaving the legion. I've done my ten years of service so... I'm going to retire." She said firmly but there was a slight tremor in her voice clearly she didn't know if she was making the right choice.

"You deserve your peace." Nico agreed, she had more than paid her dues to the legion. Her shoulders relaxed some and the pair walked in silence for a few steps.

"Nico..." she hesitated and he let her finish her thought, "the ferryman. What is his name?"

"His name is Charon. He takes souls over the river Styx so that they may enter the Underworld."

"He wanted a coin but I didn't have one." She recalled, Nico nodded.

"Yes, he demands a fee to take you across. One gold denarii."

"What if I didn't have a coin?" It surprised Nico that she didn't know the protocol, but he explained it to her anyway. He should probably tell Reyna to send out a PSA or something like that to remind her troops and medics about the proper death rituals. It couldn't hurt, anyway.

"We would have given you one, don't worry. But if you didn't have one and no one was there to give you one, then you would be stuck on the wrong side of the river for eternity.

"So what they say about the judges, the furies, Cerberus, and the fields are all true?" She didn't sound pleased.

"Well, probably not all of what you have heard is true. But those things all exist, yes." He agreed. People tended to exaggerate the horror that was the Underworld.

"How did I come back? Why?" She asked. We had almost reached the pomeranian line. Nico pulled his dagger coin out of his pocket and the ring off his finger.

"Thanatos is captured. He is the one who maintains the border between life and death, the area we call Erebos. Without him, the border falls apart. You were able to find a hole and slip back through. As for why that's because it simply isn't your time yet. You were murdered." Gwen's face went pale again.

"You see, that doesn't make sense to me either. I didn't think I had any enemies. Who would want to kill me?" She asked.

"I'm sure that I don't know," Nico replied even though he had a pretty good idea, "they'll figure it out, though, and they will have to answer to the whole legion."

"Thanks, Nico." Gwen sighed. They were silent until they reached the border.

"Gwendolyn, senator, Fifth Cohort, yes. Nico di Angelo, ambassador of pluto--" He placed his weapons in Julia's bin who promptly snuck off behind a tree. "Very well." he followed Gwen inside.

"Tell me about the fields," Gwen asked after a few moments of silence.

"What do you want to know?"

"Anything and everything." Nico would normally have protested, but he figured that she of all people had the right to be curious so he decided to humor her.

"There are three fields. Elysium, Asphodel, and Punishment." Nico started with his generic explanation. "Most heroes go to Elysium, demigods in particular wind up there."

"That's a good thing, right? Elysium is like heaven?" She cut in. He didn't mind the interruption, it showed that she was paying attention and was interested in what he had to say.

"Yeah, it's the --Roman equivalent. Some demigods who go to Elysium will try for rebirth. If granted, they will be born into a new life. If they achieve Elysium in three lives they will go to the Isles of the Blessed."

"What about Asphodel?"

"Asphodel is where most mortals go. The ones who haven't done enough good to get to Elysium or enough bad for Punishment. They forget who they are and wander the fields and eat the stalks of the Asphodel plant for all eternity. Not the worst afterlife there is." Gwen looked troubled and he wondered if he was doing more harm than good by telling her this. They reached the forum and Gwen led him to the Senate seats. He took a seat by her so that they could still talk. It seemed like people and ghosts were still arriving so we kept talking. The ghosts seemed to prefer to keep their distance from him as they made their way to their seats. It was almost comical.

"That leaves the fields of Punishment, right? The equivalent of hell?" Nico considered that.

"Yeah, it would be hell to us. Then there is Tartarus, the hell for monsters," He wasn't too eager to get into all that, "Don't worry, you would never have ended up in Punishment and mortal souls aren't sent to Tartarus.

"What is it like in Elysium?" She asked softly. Nico watched Percy take a seat by the other questers and took a moment to consider his reply. Percy caught his gaze and waved. The son of Hades waved back before turning his attention back to Gwen.

"It's beautiful. You can play, feast, and do whatever you want for all eternity. No one is unhappy. No one is lonely. There is no hatred, sadness, lies, or resentment. Just everlasting peace." His own voice sounded wistful.

"Then why do you sound sad?" She watched him curiously.

"My sister went to Elysium." Gwen frowned and glanced at Hazel. Nico chuckled but a stab of remorse went through his chest. Hazel should have been in Elysium too.

"No, not Hazel. My biological sister. She died when I was twelve. I used to visit her in Elysium but then she tried for the Isles of the blessed and now I'll never see her again." He explained. He didn't know why he was telling her this. Maybe it was because he wanted to turn her attention away from Hazel, maybe it was because she was easy to talk to. Either way, Nico felt comfortable around her. Their conversation was cut short as Reyna made her way to the podium and called the meeting to order, cutting off Gwen's response. Everyone in the stadium fell silent as the praetor put her hand in the air.

The bleacher-like seats were filled with veterans, ghosts, and senators. Octavian stood on the ground holding stuffed animals and a knife. The questers sat in the center of attention on the floor facing the stadium seats.

"Right, this is an emergency meeting," she said. "We won't stand on formalities."

"I love formalities!" a ghost complained. Reyna shot him a cross look.

"First of all," she said, "we're not here to vote on the quest itself. The quest has been issued by Mars Ultor, patron of Rome. We will obey his wishes. Nor are we here to debate the choice of Frank Zhang's companions."

"All three from the Fifth Cohort?" called out Hank from the Third. "That's not fair."

"And not smart," said the boy next to him. "We know the Fifth will mess up. They should take somebody good." Dakota got up so fast, he spilled Kool-Aid from his flask.

"We were plenty good last night when we whipped your podex, Larry!"

"Enough, Dakota," Reyna said. "Let's leave Larry's podex out of this. As quest leader, Frank has the right to choose his companions. He has chosen Percy Jackson and Hazel Levesque."

A ghost from the second row yelled, "Absurdus! Frank Zhang isn't even a full member of the legion! He's on probatio. A quest must be led by someone of centurion rank or higher. This is completely-"

"Cato," Reyna snapped. "We must obey the wishes of Mars Ultor. That means certain ... adjustments." Reyna clapped her hands, and Octavian came forward. He set down his knife and Beanie Baby and took the velvet package from the chair.

"Frank Zhang," he said, "come forward." Frank glanced nervously at Percy. Then he got to his feet and approached the augur. Even if Nico hadn't seen him sitting up late in the night it would have been obvious that he hadn't slept well. In fact, he looked kind of horrible.

"It is my...pleasure," Octavian said, forcing out the last word, "to bestow upon you the Mural Crown for being first over the walls in siege warfare." Octavian handed him a bronze badge shaped like a laurel wreath. "Also, by order of Praetor Reyna, to promote you to the rank of centurion." He handed Frank another badge, a bronze crescent, and the senate exploded in protest.

"He's still a probie!" one yelled.

"Impossible!" said another.

"Water cannon up my nose!" yelled a third. Nico coughed to keep from laughing and Gwen eyed him in amusement. If he ever saw his cousin again, Nico wasn't going to let him live this down. Ever.

"Silence!" Octavian's voice sounded a lot more commanding than it had the previous night on the battlefield. "Our praetor recognizes that no one below the rank of centurion may lead a quest. For good or ill, Frank must lead this quest-so our praetor has decreed that Frank Zhang must be made centurion." He sounded reasonable and supportive, but his expression was pained. He carefully crafted his words to put all the responsibility on Reyna.

This was her idea, he seemed to say. If it went wrong, Reyna was to blame. If only Octavian had been the one in charge, things would have been done more sensibly. But alas, he had no choice but to support Reyna, because Octavian was a loyal Roman soldier. Octavian managed to convey all that without saying it, simultaneously calming the senate and sympathizing with them. Percy eyed Octavian warily as though he was just beginning to realize that this scrawny, funny-looking scarecrow of a kid might be a dangerous enemy. Reyna must have recognized this too. A look of irritation flashed across her face.

"There is an opening for centurion," she said. "One of our officers, also a senator, has decided to step down. After ten years in the legion, she will retire to the city and attend college. Gwen of the Fifth Cohort, we thank you for your service." Everyone turned to Gwen, who managed a brave smile. She looked tired from the previous night's ordeal, but also relieved.

"As praetor," Reyna continued, "I have the right to replace officers. I admit it's unusual for a camper on probatio to rise directly to the rank of centurion, but I think we can agree...last night was unusual. Frank Zhang, your ID, please." Frank removed the lead tablet from around his neck and handed it to Octavian.

"Your arm," Octavian said. Frank held up his forearm. Octavian raised his hands to the heavens. Nico watched on with interest, this is the second time he had seen someone be admitted but he still couldn't believe the brutality of the ritual.

"We accept Frank Zhang, Son of Mars, to the Twelfth Legion Fulminata for his first year of service. Do you pledge your life to the senate and people of Rome?"

Frank muttered something like "Ud-dud." Then he cleared his throat and managed: "I do."

The senators shouted, "Senatus Populusque Romanus!" Fire blazed on Frank's arm. For a moment his eyes filled with terror, no doubt due to the fire itself. Then the smoke and flame died, and new marks were seared onto Frank's skin: SPQR, an image of crossed spears, and a single stripe, representing the first year of service.

"You may sit down." Octavian glanced at the audience as if to say: This wasn't my idea, folks. He caught the son of Hades' eye for a moment who was watching him coldly. Nico knew what he had done to Gwen. The swine swallowed hard and turned away from the accusing gaze.

"Now," Reyna said, "we must discuss the quest." The senators shifted and muttered as Frank returned to his seat. Percy whispered something in his ears and Frank looked over the brand, nodding. Hazel pinned the medals to Frank's shirt and Percy smiled.

While they were preoccupied, Octavian asked Frank if he had a plan for the quest, an unfair question if anyone had asked Nico's opinion. Though no one had...

"Centurion Zhang," called Octavian. "Did you hear the question?" Frank blinked.

"Um...sorry. What?" Octavian turned to the senate and smirked, like What did I tell you?

"I was asking," Octavian said like he was talking to a three-year-old, "if you have a plan for the quest. Do you even know where you are going?"

"Um..." Hazel put her hand on Frank's shoulder and stood. Things were about to get interesting.

"Weren't you listening last night, Octavian? Mars was pretty clear. We're going to the land beyond the gods-Alaska." The senators squirmed in their togas. Some of the ghosts shimmered and disappeared. Even Reyna's metal dogs rolled over on their backs and whimpered. Finally, Senator Larry stood.

"I know what Mars said, but that's crazy. Alaska is cursed! They call it the land beyond the gods for a reason. It's so far north, the Roman gods have no power there. The place is swarming with monsters. No demigod has come back from there alive since-" He trailed off, unable to finish.

"Since you lost your eagle," Percy said. Larry was so startled, he fell back on his podex. "Look," Percy continued, "I know I'm new here. I know you guys don't like to mention that massacre in the nineteen-eighties-"

"He mentioned it!" one of the ghosts whimpered.

"-But don't you get it?" Percy continued. "The Fifth Cohort led that expedition. We failed, and we have to be responsible for making things right. That's why Mars is sending us. This giant, the son of Gaea-he's the one who defeated your forces thirty years ago. I'm sure of it. Now he's sitting up there in Alaska with a chained death god, and all your old equipment. He's mustering his armies and sending them south to attack this camp." Percy had really learned a lot from having been here for a day and a half.

"Really?" Octavian said. "You seem to know a lot about our enemy's plans, Percy Jackson." The son of Hades froze in his seat and watched Percy closely, hoping that he had enough sense not to take the bait. Nico saw the son of Poseidon's shoulders tense before he took a deep breath. Nico was surprised he managed to restrain himself.

"We're going to confront this son of Gaea," he said, managing to keep his composure. "We'll get back your eagle and unchain this god..." He glanced at Hazel. "Thanatos, right?" She nodded.

"Letus, in Roman. But his old Greek name is Thanatos. When it comes to Death...we're happy to let him stay Greek." Octavian sighed in exasperation. He was obviously upset that Percy didn't go for him. If he knew who he was dealing with, he would have known that he was dodging a bullet there. Ares had tangled with Percy Jackson and lost.

"Well, whatever you call him...how do you expect to do all this and get back by the Feast of Fortuna? That's the evening of the twenty-fourth. It's the twentieth now. Do you even know where to look? Do you even know who this son of Gaea is?"

"Yes," Hazel spoke with certainty. Nico knew that she had come to the same conclusion that he had when Mars mentioned the oldest Giant. She knew him all too well. "I don't know exactly where to look, but I have a pretty good idea. The giant's name is Alcyoneus." That name seemed to lower the temperature in the room by fifty degrees. The senators shivered. Reyna gripped her podium.

"How do you know this, Hazel? Because you're a child of Pluto?" the son of Hades stepped in, having put some thought into a way to cover for her.

"Praetor, if I may," he introjected, "Hazel and I...we learned a little about the giants from our father. Each giant was bred specifically to oppose one of the twelve Olympian gods-- to usurp that god's domain. The king of giants was Porphyrion, the anti-Jupiter. But the eldest giant was Alcyoneus. He was born to oppose Pluto. That's why we know of him in particular." Reyna frowned.

"Indeed? You sound quite familiar with him." Nico picked at the edge of the stupid toga. He didn't know what led her to that conclusion, but she wasn't exactly wrong. Hazel had told him about him before with such detail that he felt that we were well acquainted.

"Anyway...the giants were hard to kill. According to prophecy, they could only be defeated by gods and demigods working together." Dakota belched.

"Sorry, did you say gods and demigods...like fighting side by side? That could never happen!"

"It has happened," Nico replied, thinking about how he and his father had ridden together into the Battle of Manhattan. Instead, he said, "In the first giant war, the gods called on heroes to join them, and they were victorious. Whether it could happen again, I don't know. But with Alcyoneus ... he was different. He was completely immortal, impossible to kill by god or demigod, as long as he remained in his home territory-the place where he was born." Nico paused to let that sink in. "And if Alcyoneus has been reborn in Alaska-"

"Then he can't be defeated there," Hazel finished. "Ever. By any means. Which is why our nineteen-eighties expedition was doomed to fail." Another round of arguing and shouting broke out.

"The quest is impossible!" shouted a senator.

"We're doomed!" cried a ghost.

"More Kool-Aid!" yelled Dakota. Nico wasn't sure who he was talking to, though. They surely didn't keep Kool-Aid in the Senate House.

"Silence!" Reyna called. "Senators, we must act like Romans. Mars has given us this quest, and we have to believe it is possible. These three demigods must travel to Alaska. They must free Thanatos and return before the Feast of Fortuna. If they can retrieve the lost eagle in the process, so much the better. All we can do is advise them and make sure they have a plan." Reyna looked at Percy without much hope.

"You do have a plan?" Percy looked around the arena and seemed to consider his answer carefully.

"First, I need to understand something." He turned towards Nico, whose chest tightened under his cousin's gaze, "I thought Pluto was the god of the dead. Now I hear about this other guy, Thanatos, and the Doors of Death from that prophecy-the Prophecy of Seven. What does all that mean?" Nico took a deep breath. It concerned him that his cousin forgot about their many conversations on this matter, but he didn't mind repeating it. The whole legion could do with a refresher on the Underworld it seemed.

"Okay. Pluto is the god of the Underworld, but the actual god of death, the one who's responsible for making sure souls go to the afterlife and stay there- that's Pluto's lieutenant, Thanatos. He's like..." Nico struggled for a moment before he thought of an analogy, "well, imagine Life and Death are two different countries. Everybody would like to be in Life, right? So there's a guarded border to keep people from crossing back over without permission. But it's a big border, with lots of holes in the fence. Pluto tries to seal up the breaches, but new ones keep popping up all the time. That's why he depends on Thanatos, who's like the border patrol, the police."

"Thanatos catches souls," Percy said, "and deports them back to the Underworld."

"Exactly," Nico agreed, "But now Thanatos has been captured, chained up." Frank raised his hand like they were still in school.

"Uh...how do you chain Death?"

"It's been done before," Nico said, "In the old days, a guy named Sisyphus tricked Death and tied him up. Another time, Hercules wrestled him to the ground."

"And now a giant has captured him," Percy said. "So if we could free Thanatos, then the dead would stay dead?" He glanced at Gwen. "Um... no offense."

"It's more complicated than that," The son of Hades replied. Octavian rolled his eyes.

"Why does that not surprise me?" Nico pursed his lips to keep from saying something he would regret.

"You mean the Doors of Death," Reyna said, ignoring Octavian. "They are mentioned in the Prophecy of Seven, which sent the first expedition to Alaska-" Cato the ghost snorted.

"We all know how that turned out! We Lares remember!" The other ghosts grumbled in agreement. Nico put his finger to his lips. Suddenly all the Lares went silent. Some looked alarmed like their mouths had been glued together. There was a hushed murmur from the gathered senators and Nico briefly wished he had the same control over the living. The number of press conferences he could have avoided if he could just seal people's mouths closed.

"Thanatos is only part of the solution," Nico explained, trying to be careful what he said. "The Doors of Death...well, that's a concept even I don't completely understand. There are many ways into the Underworld-the River Styx, the Door of Orpheus-plus the smaller escape routes that open up from time to time. With Thanatos imprisoned, all those exits will be easier to use. Sometimes it might work to our advantage and let a friendly soul come back-like Gwen here. More often, it will benefit evil souls and monsters, the sneaky ones who are looking to escape. Now, the Doors of Death-those are the personal doors of Thanatos, his fast lane between Life and Death. Only Thanatos is supposed to know where they are, and the location shifts over the ages. If I understand correctly, the Doors of Death have been forced open. Gaea's minions have seized control of them-"

"Which means Gaea controls who can come back from the dead," Percy guessed. Nico nodded. Unlike the Romans, he was used to Percy's skills of deduction and wasn't caught off guard by his interruption.

"She can pick and choose who to let out--  the worst monsters, the evilest souls. If we rescue Thanatos, that means at least he can catch souls again and send them below. Monsters will die when we kill them, like they used to, and we'll get a little breathing room. But unless we're able to retake the Doors of Death, our enemies won't stay down for long. They'll have an easy way back to the world of the living."

"So we can catch them and deport them," Percy summed up, "but they'll just keep coming back across."

"In a depressing nutshell, yes," Frank scratched his head.

"But Thanatos knows where the doors are, right? If we free him, he can retake them."

"I don't think so," Nico said, glancing at Reyna who met his gaze evenly. She knew what he was thinking. He couldn't get to the doors because they were in the only other place that is beyond the gods. "Not alone. He's no match for Gaea. That would take a massive quest...an army of the best demigods," he lied. It would take one and a burial shroud.

"Foes bear arms to the Doors of Death," Reyna said. "That's the Prophecy of Seven..." She and Percy made eye contact. Percy looked grim and Nico thought that maybe he knew more than the son of Hades did. "If this begins the ancient prophecy, we don't have the resources to send an army to these Doors of Death and protect the camp. I couldn't imagine even sparing seven demigods-" he knew that she wouldn't have to. She would only have to spare three.

"First things first." Percy started. "I don't know who the seven are, or what that old prophecy means, exactly. But first, we have to free Thanatos. Mars told us we only needed three people for the quest to Alaska. Let's concentrate on succeeding with that and getting back before the Feast of Fortuna. Then we can worry about the Doors of Death."

"Yeah," Frank said in a small voice. "That's probably enough for one week."

"So you do have a plan?" Octavian asked skeptically. Percy looked at his teammates. The ambassador of Pluto knew as well as everyone that they didn't have a plan.

"We go to Alaska as fast as possible..."

"And we improvise," Hazel said.

"A lot," Frank added. Reyna studied them. She looked like she was mentally writing her own obituary. Maybe that is something that he should consider doing before he left. He certainly didn't want his brothers to write it for him. Yikes.

"Very well," she said. "Nothing remains except for us to vote what support we can give the quest-transportation, money, magic, weapons."

"Praetor, if I may," Octavian said. "The camp is in grave danger," Octavian said. "Two gods have warned us we will be attacked four days from now. We must not spread our resources too thin, especially by funding projects that have a slim chance of success." Octavian looked at the three of them with pity, as if to say, Poor little things.

"Mars has clearly chosen the least likely candidates for this quest. Perhaps that is because he considers them the most expendable. Perhaps Mars is playing the long odds. Whatever the case, he wisely didn't order a massive expedition, nor did he ask us to fund their adventure. I say we keep our resources here and defend the camp. This is where the battle will be lost or won. If these three succeed, wonderful! But they should do so by their own ingenuity." An uneasy murmur passed through the crowd. Frank jumped to his feet.

Before he could start a fight, Percy said, "Fine! No problem. But at least give us transportation. Gaea is the Earth goddess, right? Going overland, across the earth-- I'm guessing we should avoid that. Plus, it'll be too slow." Octavian laughed.

"Would you like us to charter you an airplane?"

"No. Air travel... I have a feeling that would be bad, too. But a boat. Can you at least give us a boat?" Percy glanced at Hazel who looked kind of sickly. She shook her head and mouthed, Fine. I'm fine.

"A boat!" Octavian turned to the senators. "The son of Neptune wants a boat. Sea travel has never been the Roman way, but he isn't much of a Roman!"

"Octavian," Reyna said sternly, "a boat is little enough to ask. And providing no other aid seems very-"

"Traditional!" Octavian exclaimed. "It is very traditional. Let us see if these questers have the strength to survive without help, like true Romans!" Nico almost felt that he didn't want the quest to succeed. Was there some reason that he was trying to sabotage their chances? The world's chances? Did he understand that he was playing with people's lives here? He wanted to say something but that wasn't his place. Nico was barely even invited to this meeting, the son of Hades didn't wasn't to overstay his welcome.

More muttering filled the chamber. The senators' eyes moved back and forth between Octavian and Reyna, watching the test of wills. Reyna straightened in her chair. Nico knew that she wasn't pleased with this blatant show of disrespect, but he could also tell that she wasn't going to start something in front of the entire Senate.

"Very well," she said tightly. "We'll put it to a vote. Senators, the motion is as follows: The quest shall go to Alaska. The senate shall provide full access to the Roman navy docked at Alameda. No other aid will be forthcoming. The three adventurers will survive or fail on their own merits. All in favor?" Every senator's hand went up. Nico didn't vote, as he wasn't a Senator. He was hoping that they would have more support from the legion for this quest. It didn't make sense to spare expense because this was a quest that would benefit the whole of humanity, but he was just glad that they were left with something they could use.

"The motion is passed." Reyna turned to Frank. "Centurion, your party is excused. The senate has other matters to discuss. And, Octavian, if I may confer with you for a moment."

After the meeting Nico collected his weapons from Terminus and went into the city and placed a call back home to Bruce and the others, tucking himself in an alley for privacy. He felt that he needed to talk to them because he knew that things were starting and soon it would be time for him to leave. He probably had a few more days tops. Depending on what Reyna needed from him, he wasn't sure if he would have time to go home first. The son of Hades would have to wait a day or two into their quest before he left so that they would have enough time to free death before he got too far. He needed the monsters that he killed in the pit to stay dead for longer than a few minutes.

"Nico? What's going on?" Bruce answered on the second ring.

"I'm fine, don't worry about me. Long story short, they found out that Thanatos has been captured and that the barrier between life and death is weakening. They've called a quest of people to go to Alaska and free him and kill a giant by the 24th or else Camp Jupiter will be wiped out. Also, Gaea is definitely rising, the giants are rising, and I have to stay here a few more days to help out." He had meant to open with hello, but he found himself rushing through the point so he wouldn't have time to break down and tell him what was really going on.

"What? What does that even mean? Whose Gaea? A quest? Alaska? Nico, what is going on?" Nico should have known it wouldn't be that easy.

"Gaea is the primordial of Earth. She is the Earth, basically. And she's really bad news. She wants to wipe out all demigods and gods so that her children, the Giants, can rule. There is one Giant for every major god. Each Giant is built and was created to oppose that specific god. The one that they are going after is the one that is meant to oppose my father." He explained slowly. This was going to be a lot to take in.

"Will he come after you?" Nico considered that for a minute. He doubted that he would waste his time on him when he could be going after Hazel. They had unfinished business. Plus, he would already be doomed in the pit.

"I doubt it." Nico cringed-- he should have given context.

"What is that supposed to mean? Why do you doubt it?"

"He'll probably be too busy going after my sister."

"Bianca?" He asked. Then he remembered that they didn't know about Hazel.

"No... I forgot you don't know..." Nico rubbed his hand down his face. This was going to be a longer conversation than he thought it would be.

"I don't know what? Nico, you aren't making much sense." Bruce sounded worried.

"I have a half-sister named Hazel who is going on the quest to kill the Giant with Percy and Frank."

"Half-sister? Since when do you have a half-sister?"

"Since a few days before I had to guide her to California..." Nico replied, wincing in anticipation of his reaction. There was a long sigh before Bruce responded.

"You know what... We'll talk about this later. Now about that quest, are you involved?"

"Indirectly, yes."

"But you're not going?" He clarified.

"No, only groups of three."

"Ok, why do you have to stay then? What is this about the camp being wiped out?"

"I need to stay and help defend the camp. I especially need to stay if the quest fails and death remains captured." He lied. Most likely, he will have left for Tartarus by then.

"So Death is in Alaska?"

"Yeah because that is there that giant is. He has to stay in his homeland in order to stay immortal. Also, Alaska is the land beyond the gods so they are hoping demigods aren't crazy enough to go there."

"I didn't know that there was such a thing." Bruce sounded intrigued.

"Yeah, me neither until a few days ago."

"Nico, when are you coming home?" Bruce changed the subject. He hesitated.

"It's hard to say," the demigod said trying to keep the guilt out of his voice. Nico didn't want to make any commitments that he wouldn't end up keeping.

"Try." Bruce insisted.

"Well, the attack is on the 25th Annabeth is going to be on her way to find Percy around that time as well, then it depends on whether or not the Romans and Greeks get along. If they do, It shouldn't be long. If they don't... I don't know. They will probably have me executed."

"That better be a joke." Nico didn't reply.

"Nico." His voice was stern and edged with annoyance that stemmed from worry.

"I'll be ok. I'll shadow travel out if it comes to that." There was an uncomfortable pause and Bruce considered everything that he had said.

"Keep in touch. Do you hear me? If you aren't back by the 26th I'm coming over there after you." He warned.

"Don't bother, Bruce." the son of Hades sighed. "The camp is magically protected. You won't be able to find it on your own."

"So you would have me do nothing?" Nico didn't reply, not having a good answer.

"Listen, if you don't come back by the 26th or if I stop hearing from you before then for any reason, I am coming over there to find you. You understand?"

"I understand."

"Be careful, and be safe." Bruce pleaded.

"I will be. Bruce..." Nico said before he could hang up.

"Yeah?"

"Thanks, for everything." He had to control his voice because he was on the verge of tears. He wasn't sure if he was ever going to see them again and it was just now sinking in the enormity of what he had to do. And the end result.

"You're welcome, Nico. Take care of yourself." Nico di Angelo hung up the phone and let the tears fall.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

165K 3.5K 32
Percy Jackson. Two times Savior of Olympus. A son of Poseidon. Boyfriend to Annabeth Chase. Yes, that's the guy everyone knows, but what they don't k...
215K 7.4K 48
It's a new day. Bruce Wayne has been living the normal life. Billionaire Playboy by day, and Batman by night. Until recently, that is. He's noticed s...
9.2K 293 22
"I'm-" "Don't say you're sorry." Nico cut Leo of, this time he did push away from his warm friend. Nico got up and walked away a bit from the f...
51K 893 13
An epic romance starts at the edge of a cliff. Romantic huh? I mean only downside is what a waits theses two lovers at the bottom of that pit. inste...