The Second Dragonoid's Tale

By zairrik

Follow an unlucky fellow as F/N discovers a new world and things he never knew. Rediscover things he would ra... More

Chapter 2: The Storm Dragon, The Slime, & The What?
Chapter 3: Helping The Goblin Village
Chapter 3.5: Everybody Talks
Chapter 4: Names
Chapter 5: Rules For Monsters
Chapter 6: Empowerment Duo
Chapter 7: Ask & Hear The Answer
Chapter 8: Dreadful Dreams Beside Reality
Chapter 9: Mistakes
Chapter 10: A Needed Talk
Chapter 10.5: Veldora
Chapter 11: Calm Before The Storm
Chapter 12: Striking Tempest Part 1
Chapter 13: Striking Tempest Part 2
Chapter 14: Alliance
Chapter 15: Parting of Ways
Chapter 16: First Day In Dwargon
Chapter 17: Knowledge & Faith
Chapter 18: Visit Ends
Chapter 19: Leaving
Chapter 20: Dwelling Of Ramiris
Chapter 21: Abomination
Special: Juramas
Chapter 22: A Strong Spirit
Chapter 23: Tempest & Gazel
Chapter 23.5: Four Demon Lords
Chapter 24: Short Side Love Story
Chapter 25: Milim Arrives
Chapter 26: One More Talk
Chapter 27: Moments In Time
Chapter 28: Unwelcomed Zealots
Chapter 29: Who Wants To Play Hero?
Chapter 30: Training One's Self In Mind
Chapter 30.5: Little Scheme
Chapter 31: A Chat With Rimuru
Chapter 32: F/N Versus Charybdis! Siblings Clash!
Chapter 33: Melancholy
Chapter 34: Doldrums
Chapter 35: Before The Dark Horizon
Chapter 36: Ingrassia
Chapter 37: Saved Souls
Chapter 38: Rumble In The Beast Kingdom
Chapter 39: Versus Milim! Devastation!
Chapter 40: Corruption & True Dragon Magic
Chapter 41: That Time A Slime Saved A Dragonoid
Chapter 42: Going Forward
Ultimate Skills
Chapter 43: Walpurgis & Velzard
Chapter 44: Tempest Dividends
Chapter 45: Plan For A Festival
Chapter 46: Cherry & Saints
Chapter 47: Tempest & Saints
Chapter 48: Luminous & Veldora
Chapter 49: Cold Comfort For The False Dragon
Chapter 50: Invite Only
Chapter 51: A Family Matter
Chapter 52: Reconcile
Chapter 53: Tempest Tango Festival
Chapter 54: Grand Closing
Chapter 55: Descend Into Ruin, In All Ways
Chapter 56: A Princess & A Dragon
Chapter 57: Scorched Empire
Chapter 58: Ivarage

Chapter 1: New Life, New Monsters

20.3K 311 170
By zairrik

One thing is most certain in life and that is the fact that all things eventually die. How they die is the only aspect of death that is uncertain, most of the time. But regardless of that, the fact of the matter is death came, and in my case, it hurt. In more ways than the literal one, that is the truth. It was a good morning that day, no rain in sight, no pesky errands to run, it was simply me and Sofia for the day. I still remember that gorgeous, casual dress she wore along with her irradiating smile. Karma must have really wanted to balance all the blessings I had in my life, including her, to the extreme. We went to the beach to enjoy each other's company and had grilled some food after having fun in the ocean. However, we didn't notice the rogue storm that appeared out of nowhere.

Sofia had returned to the water and was relaxing at the time. The memory was foggy, but I recall the water receded for a moment. And in my attempt to get out to her I didn't pay attention to the wave that came and swallowed me. Even when forced underwater, I continued reaching out for her. My vision turned darker and darker. The cold of the water started to disappear. In my attempt to save her, I ended up being the one in need of saving. My body wouldn't move anymore, though I want it to. It was then that an unfamiliar female voice spoke in my head.

Confirmed. Paralysis Resistance successfully acquired.

It reminded me of this video game I borrowed from Sofia's brother. It was a modded fantasy world, which made the adventures all the more interesting. Certain things he added were more annoying than fun, like dying from eating apples or that dog that came out of nowhere and stabbed me. But I remember that voice that narrated encounters and commented on special items. Sometimes, by accident, it would go off and mention events before they actually happened. I don't think that mod author ever fixed that.

Confirmed. Listener of The Voice successfully acquired.

It was very dark now. Only the faded memories gave me company other than that voice. I didn't want to forget. I didn't want to die, but I also didn't want to live without Sofia. That might make me selfish, however, after everything she's pulled me through, I couldn't imagine a world without her in it. It was a few years ago, a little after we met, that she pulled me through one of my darkest moments. I wish I could have pulled her out of this. My thoughts weakened and I couldn't hold a thought much longer. All I heard was that voice.

Error. Skill selection incomplete. Selecting skills from processed information. Confirmed. Other Worldly Company... cannot execute. Substituting with Strong Bonds... Successfully acquired. Confirmed. Lover's Embrace... Successfully acquired. Confirmed. Mind Library successfully acquired. Confirmed. Constructing a high endurance body... Successful. Confirmed. Extra skill Darkness successfully acquired. Evolving extra skill Darkness into unique skill Darkness X... Successful. Modifying constructed body to utilize skills... Successful.

The bright light of the sun pierced my eyes as they opened to the blue sky of few clouds. I could feel the sand beneath me and hear the waves run to and from the shore. I felt off and struggled to stand as my balance was off, forcing me to my hands and knees when I attempted to get up. Strangely, my clothes were completely dry, on account that I wasn't wearing any. Slowly this time, rising to my feet I managed to finally see what I half expected. No one was around, not a single sign of anyone.

"What happened?" I asked myself, expecting no answer.

Answer. Otherworld transfer occurred at the time of death.

"And who is that?!" I turned around too fast and fell on my ass.

Answer. It is the effect of the skill Listener of The Voice. It allows the user to speak to and hear the Voice of The World. Additionally, it can identify objects and skills, set objectives, state the current situation, and send notifications of encounters.

I scratched my head, "That's rather helpful. What can you tell me about my current situation? Where am I, or where should I go?"

Answer. Currently stranded in a new body naked on a beach.

If it wasn't right, and incorporeal, I would smack the skill so hard for stating the obvious. Except, the new body was something I didn't know. It's true that my body does feel different, but I did technically drown a moment ago. With nothing else to do besides surviving, I adjusted to the new, slightly shorter body and inquired more using [Listener of The Voice]. There was a forest not far from the beach. If it can identify objects then a perfect use would be for it to find food and drinkable water.

"So the things I heard before, the ones you were listing, they are my skills?" I continued to talk with the disembodied voice, "I'd like you to identify the three most powerful skills I have."

Confirmed. In order of power. Darkness X. Strong Bonds. Mind Library.

"[Mind Library]? That doesn't sound that powerful. Neither does [Strong Bonds]. [Darkness X]... that sounds edgy." I didn't like the sounds of it, but continued with my questions, "Can you explain what [Mind Library] does?"

Answer. It allows the user to enter an inner library where all acquired past knowledge and memories are permanently stored. This knowledge can be removed from the inner library to the outside world temporarily.

I was rather surprised, "That... could actually be very useful." I've never been a spy, but that could be a valuable tool for gathering information. "What about [Strong Bonds]?"

This skill can only be used when the user and another share a bond of friendship or greater. Those that can be bonded with are not limited to humanoid creatures. Upon achieving this, the user can sense the life force of the bonded and use their skills.

"That's a considerable step up in power." I groaned a little at the truth, "Kind of useless since I don't have any bonds right now. Then again, a pet might be an easy one. Okay, now for the last one. What does [Darkness X] do? I'm going to bet something edgy."

Access to the Dark Magic & Corrupted. Primary effect occurs when used with additional skills. When used as such the effect of the attached skill is reversed. Example. A skill that weakens a target, when combined with Darkness X, will strengthen them instead.

I nodded, "Okay, but do any of these skills provide me with pants?"

No.

"Great," I said sarcastically. "If I meet anyone it'll be in my birthday suit. Alright, what about this [Dark Magic] & [Corrupted]?"

Dark Magic passively amplifies your magic power and can give a demonic affinity. Corrupted activates only when Darkness X is used and applies a status effect. If Corruption reaches critical levels, the user will lose control. Caution is advised.

"Now these skills are starting to sound more like trouble." Once at a clearing in the forest, I stopped for a moment and continued, "This [Dark Magic], it implies I can use magic then, right? Is there a spell that can create the illusion of clothes?"

My newfound quest for pants was greeted with more disappointment as I pestered the [Voice of The World] for clothing options. On the greener side of the field, I wouldn't go hungry after identifying some of the edible vegetation. That created its own problem. How was I supposed to cook the wild vegetables? I didn't have a spell that could conjure me a pot and spices, though I'd be surprised if no one thought of such a spell. For now, a white, misshapen carrot cleaned with the nearest pond water I could find would have to do. It still said that it was edible, but I would be lying if I said I was eager to consume it.

In the quietness of it all, after having died and tossed into another world, I strangely didn't feel scared or mad about where I was and my current situation. I was lonely, but that was it. Crouched against a tree, in the shade, as I nibbled on the pseudo-carrot, my vision started blurring the more that feeling set into my chest. It was fully setting in now that Sofia was gone and there was no one in this world that I knew.

"[Voice of The World]," I stated as I tried to clear the tears with my bare hands. "Set two objectives. One is to find clothes, a place to stay, and possibly money. The other is... save everyone I can."

Confirmed. Objectives have been set.

"I'm not going to waste this life crying. You said [Darkness X] essentially reverses skills, right? What would happen if [Mind Library] was used with it?" I asked with the hope of using the skills to improve the situation.

Analyzing potential outcomes. The components that would be reversed are as follows. Books could not be taken out while [Darkness X] is active. All known knowledge & memories would be temporarily replaced with unknown knowledge & memories.

I was about to slap myself. It just said something outrageous. If I'm understanding this, my memories will temporarily be replaced with everyone else's. Meaning I would forget about being sent to another world, about the skill. It was a dangerous and extreme solution to the problem that could be solved with time. Nibbling on the carrot, I considered my options. Try to use my skills to my advantage and risk a bad outcome with [Darkness X], or wander the area and hope to find someone willing to hear a naked guy out.

"Hey... can the effects be chosen? If I used the skill, but wanted only one effect to change, would that be possible?" I asked with bated breath.

Analyzing. Ability to select specific effects... confirmed.

"Oh, you said something beautiful there." Since I showed up on the beach naked, this was the first time I smiled. "In that case, what if I affect the knowledge, but not the ability to take out books? Would the books, outside of the library, remain?"

Analyzing. Confirmed. The outcome is achievable.

Knowledge is important and the struggle to grasp it is often a long road with obstacles. I felt as though I had managed to overcome one and was now seeing the next mountain from the peak of a smaller one. Because now I had to trust in myself that it would all work out. Nervous, I spoke about the current situation to myself and stated what I had to look for, knowledge of where we were in the world. And most importantly, about [Darkness X]. I used [Mind Library] and stood at the railing, overseeing the spiral library that housed an insane amount of bookcases. Going to the most recent addition, taking the book I required and returning to where I stood, carrot still in hand. Holding the book tightly, I spoke the words that I hoped would get me to safety.

I used the skills, "[Darkness X Mind Library]."

The funny thing about not remembering something is seeing the situation you find yourself in after you come back to reality. I was standing near a berry bush in the forest, a book in one hand, and no carrot in the other. I combed through the pages and smiled once again. There it was, the recent memories from when the skill was used, and the answers I was looking for. The other me had combed through several books of knowledge and now I knew I was between the Armed Nation Dwargon and the Eastern Empire, entering the north of the Jura Forest. The book didn't stay long, but I gathered enough knowledge from it.

That knowledge also included how to make a primitive skirt from the local plants to at least cover myself. I wasn't sure about heading to either country in my current state. With no money, it wasn't as if I could live in either of them and I'm certain no one would hire a naked guy. With one option remaining, I planned to establish a source of food first in the Jura Forest. That would cover one of the essentials for surviving, the next being shelter. Picking some of the edible berries that were identified, I ate a handful as I decided to test my new body out.

"Question, this new body of mine, how is it different from my old one?" I asked, wanting to know how different it was from my old one.

Answer. Improved endurance and strength, allowing for prolonged stressful activities. Additional modifications led to the choice of a humanoid form to allow for skills to be fully utilized.

That last part implies I'm not a human, "I'm going to ignore that last part for now. Basically, am I more athletic than I was before?"

Yes.

With a smile on my face, "Then let's see what I can do. I can't use this body to its full extent if I don't know what its limits are."

The problem that comes with pushing things to their limit, is that control no longer exists if you're not used to it. When I went full speed ahead through the forest, I learned really quickly that my body was more than just improved. What the [Voice of The World] probably meant to say was, my body has the speed of a bullet train and enough strength to run through several, several trees. Thankfully, I didn't break anything other than some (maybe a lot of) trees and made some good distance into the forest. A lot of distance in fact as I got lost in the speed until it finally spoke up again.

Encounter. Entering The Den of Ogres.

"The den of what?!" I stopped, tripped into a roll, smacked into a tree, which then fell, then got up and looked around. "What's the situation?"

Answer. Upon entering the area near an Ogre village, a hunter had noticed and is returning to his village to inform the others.

"Ah. So why did you make it sound like I was about to fall into a swamp full of monsters?!" I waved my hand at it, "Never mind, I wonder... if it's a village, maybe I could get some proper clothes. Hmm, I think I'll wait and let them come to me. Let them have the first move to speak. That's assuming they can be spoken with." My stomach growled from all the running, "It would be nice if I could have a proper meal. Hey, are Ogres friendly?"

Answer. They are a high-class race of monsters.

I stared at the sky, "That isn't an answer to my question. I guess if they aren't I should be able to outrun them on a partly empty stomach."

I fixed my leaf skirt from all the running, grabbed some nearby berries to eat, and waited for the Ogres to show up. I wasn't completely sure what to expect, there was an image in mind of what they could look like, but I was hoping they would look nothing like that. A small group showed up, surprisingly dressed and armed. The one standing ahead of the others was carrying a katana, with armor reminiscent of a samurai. His hair and skin were red, with two black horns sticking out of his head.

He stepped forward and spoke, "You there, what is your business here?" I can understand him, that's good.

"None, initially. I sort of found myself running in this direction, naked. Was I heading for your village?"

"Yes, you were," The red ogre answered, his hand still on his weapon as he stared at me for a moment. "So you're saying you were unaware of this?"

"That's exactly what I'm saying," I answered. "But if there is a village, I'd appreciate it if I could get some clothes there. Of course, I'll find a way to pay you back for them."

The red one didn't appear as tense as he was at first, "If you aren't a threat, I suppose you may enter the village."

"Are you sure that's wise?" One of his comrades asked.

"If all he wants is clothes there should be no issue," The red ogre said. "Follow us back, and don't make any sudden actions."

"Really?!" I jumped at hearing that. "Woohoo! I can finally get some pants! I promise I'll repay you for this."

He cut into my celebration, "First, you need to hold back that aura of yours."

"Aura? What's that?" I asked.

The red ogre guy looked at me confused before explaining it was essentially the power I was giving off. With his advice, mainly the advice from the [Voice of The World], I was able to conceal it. He continued to keep his guard up, even as we walked back to his village. It was quite the sight, and I'm sure I was a sight myself, an almost naked man walking out of the forest with Ogres on all sides. It was unexpected that they had such a small village. With people that gave neither friendly looks nor hostile ones, just glances as to what was going on.

Wait, are Ogres technically people? The [Voice of The World] referred to them as monsters, but they appear civil like Humans. And the fact that we can understand each other, a feat I would later learn comes from the [Listener of The Voice] skill, also means that we can communicate our thoughts without misunderstandings. The bottom line might be my definition of people. They don't live like wild animals or act in that manner, so I suppose they could be.

Brought to one of the houses, I was left to wait in a room while the red Ogre went to speak with the chief. While I waited, I noticed an older-looking ogre appear against the wall without a word said. I didn't try to strike up a conversation at first, on account that he had a katana rested against the wall beside him, and figured it was unwise to say anything stupid. However, looking around mindlessly was proving to be too much of a bore to me.

"Excuse me," I said to the older ogre, "What's the red ogre's name? I didn't catch it on the way here."

He hummed, "Monsters do not have names, and no one in this village has been given one."

"That must cause some difficulties when you want to ask for someone specific," I commented, trying to keep him talking.

"Not at all," He said and returned to his silence.

"Right," I played with my thumbs, not sure what else to talk about.

The red ogre's return ended the waiting, "Here," He said, tossing me some clothes, I listened to him while getting dressed. "The chief has decided you can enter the village so long as you keep out of trouble. And keep your aura concealed while in the forest around us, if you don't it'll scare off the animals."

"Is that why I didn't run into any?" I asked, pulling my head through the shirt.

Answer. Yes.

I wasn't asking you. I thought to myself as I stretched in the new clothes. They weren't anything amazing, a simple shirt, pants with a rope belt, and a light jacket. The red ogre offered to guide me around their village. That generous offer came with the shadow of the older ogre following us. They must be treating me like a wolf, offering food with one hand, with the other armed in case I try to bite. I know I won't unless they make the first move, so I remained mindful of my actions as I spent time in the Ogre village.

After a quick look around, the red ogre said he would be returning to the chief and pointed me in the direction of a gathering spot in the forest. I was now on my own. Wanting to gather and explore around the forest, I pretended to not notice the older ogre following behind me while I went off toward the gathering spot. It was actually a nice walk, found some fruits that I carried by wrapping them in the jacket. Taking a break by a stream to clean my spoils, I sat down beside the water and felt the presence of my tail disappear. It was quiet, and it appeared I was genuinely alone.

The clean fruit was neatly wrapped again when the sound of rustling bushes was followed by a loud huff. Looking up across the stream was a wild horned boar eyeing me down. He was twice the size of any pig back on Earth and was currently kicking at the dirt with one of his hooves. Slowly I got up and tried to warn him against it, but it wasn't reasonable like the Ogres. It decided to charge at me. I didn't think to run as its sharp horns were coming to pierce me. With one foot planted in the ground, I kicked up and slammed my other foot down onto its head when it got close, caving in its skull into the river.

"I tried to warn you." I kicked its dead body, noticing the stab wound on its side, "But I guess that was enough of a show for you, old man?"

"I'm not sure what you're saying," He stepped out from behind a nearby tree, across the stream. "I was just taking a scroll when I came across you two."

"Well, if you're heading back soon I could use the company," I said, picking up the boar, getting used to the new strength of my body. "And a spare hand for the fruit."

The old guy jumped over the stream and picked up the bundle of fruit. On our way back I struck up a conversation about the swords he and the red guy carried. Taking advantage of my interest, he managed to talk me into training under him in the future. Since I had no skills in butchering a boar, when we arrived back I offered it to one of the Ogres the red one introduced me to and had some of the meat given to him, the chief, and the old guy. For the food, he offered me a room to stay in for the night, however, I'd find after dinner that sleep would be impossible.

Objective complete: Find clothes and a place to stay. Optional objective of money, incomplete.

Now that I stopped moving and all was quiet, I couldn't get her out of my mind. Sofia. Using [Mind Library] I could revisit the best moments we had together. The only one my eyes were set on was our last day. Wicked how a day can start sunny, turn dark, and go on brightly pretending the bad never happened. Tossing off the blanket as I rolled on the floor thinking more. I got up and stood outside with a heavy sigh aimed at the sky.

"How long should I stay here?" I asked myself. "Hmm, evaluating things, this isn't a bad place, and I pretty much understand what I'm capable of now, though I think there was more. Hey, [Voice of The World], were there other skills?"

Correct. Skills that were not inquired before: Paralysis Resistance & Lover's Embrace. Paralysis Resistance prevents the user from being immobilized due to magic, poison, and other causes of paralysis. Lover's Embrace temporarily charms a target and allows the user to understand the target's feelings. Time is dependent on the target's opinion of the user.

All the troubles keeping me awake quieted down upon hearing that, "What was that last skill?"

Lover's Embrace temporarily charms-

"No, no, it's alright, I heard you. That skill is just... very dangerous for different reasons now that I'm in a village. In fact, if the time can be affected by [Darkness X]," I quickly slapped myself. "I should not have thought that, I shouldn't have been thinking that."

What actually makes it terrifying isn't [Darkness X] but [Strong Bonds]. Using [Lover's Embrace], I could easily create bonds with people who possess powerful skills, which I could then use myself. And if one of those skills either allowed for more control over people or even allowed me to permanently keep the skills. I couldn't even call myself a Human at that point, I would be a... Demon Lord.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

675K 11.4K 73
A man who got reincarnated in the DxD world as Rimuru Tempest.And what he what's is a family that he been wanton. My first ever fanfiction story.
156K 3.8K 49
Have you ever wondered what things would be like if Rimuru actually stuck to what he had said when he died? "In my next life, I'm gonna go on the pro...
80.8K 2.6K 24
Tempest in ruins? What happened to this World? This is the sequel of Another Past? so enjoy it. This won't be after the LN.
18.2K 1K 30
One day, Rimuru wakes up only to find that he's once again been reincarnated into another world. Only instead of being a Slime, he's been reincarnate...