Infection

By PeterMorrinsville

It starts with a simple itch, nothing more. Maybe a few random spasms or the occasional shudder but you'll th... More

Writers Comments
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Late
Chapter 2 - Strange Times
Chapter 3 - Train Wreck
Chapter 4 - No Accident
Chapter 6 - Beginning of the End
Chapter 7 - Day Trip
Chapter 8 - Shopping Spree
Chapter 9 - The Camp
Chapter 10 - The Twins
Chapter 11 - Sitting by the fire
Chapter 12 - She Heard Everything
Chapter 13 - Into The Heavens
Chapter 14 - The Game
Chapter 15 - Open the Gate
Chapter 16 - Nightmares
Chapter 17 - A Cold Wet Day
Chapter 18 - A Golden Dawn
Chapter 19 - The Loot
Chapter 20 - Small Town Girl
Chapter 21 - Alone
Chapter 22 - Like Father, Like Daughter
Chapter 23 - Over the Roof
Chapter 24 - Till Dusk
Chapter 25 - Recovery
Chapter 26 - Dead or Alive
Chaper 27 - Bedding Down
Chapter 28 - Inferno
Chapter 29 - At Bay
Chapter 30 - Knuckles
Chapter 31 - Raining Cars
Chapter 32 - River
Chapter 33 - Coffee Table
Chapter 34 - Fighting to survive
Chapter 35 - A Will to Live
Chapter 36 - Sickened
Chapter 38 - Reunion
Chapter 39 - From Bellow
Chapter 40 - Changed
Chapter 41 - A Dark Room
Chapter 42 - Masks
Chapter 43 - The Woman With the Red Lipstick
Chapter 44 - Humanity
Chapter 45 - Playful Mind
Chapter 46 - Dazed
Chapter 47 - Back Again
Chapter 48 - Watched
Chapter 49 - Darwin's Law
Chapter 50 - Mental War
Chapter 51 - Casino and Snow
Chapter 52 - Yellow Eyes
Chapter 53 - Stabbed
Chapter 54 - A Dance With The Devils Daughter
Chapter 55 - Back Stabbed (END OF BOOK 1)

Chapter 5 - Finally Leaving

13.8K 640 57
By PeterMorrinsville

Firstly I hope your enjoying the story so far! And thank you for reading, secondly I'm sorry that this chapter may have a few spelling and grammar mistakes, I haven't had time to fully edit it but I wanted to continue publishing on time!
******************
The days went slow at the hospital. In-between sleep and Dr Ivic I had very little to do but sit and watch the city go about its daily business through the wide window, or wait for a visitor. My mum came every day checking on me and fussing over my care but she could never stay for long. Then I had my other regular visitor, Eve. She would come at the oddest of time. Don't get me wrong I was grateful for the company and I hated it when she had to leave. But I began to notice little things here and there that you wouldn't normal notice at school because you're too busy buying your chips or stressing about school work. Or it could just be me; I do have way too much time to myself. But still the other night it must have been what, past midnight and I woke up for whatever reason and there she was sleeping peacefully on the edge of the bed. The next morning she was gone. I remember earlier that evening she had come in with a rather large bruise hidden under her hair, and she looked like she'd been crying. When I asked her about it she went all awkward and didn't answer. And that wasn't the first time I caught her sleeping over plus the Nurse sometimes mentions it on her morning rounds. I wondered what her parents thought of this.

"Good morning Seth, think the Doctors got some good news for you today!" the nurse smiled, neatening my covers.

I greeted her back and wondered what it could be, could he finally be letting me go, I saw no point in me being here!

"Morning Seth, good news, you're going home!"
"It's about time!"

He chuckled, "not so hasty, I wanted to keep you in for longer but the hospital needs more space freed up."

"So when do I leave?"

"As soon as we sign you off, you want me to call anyone?"

"No, I'll surprise mum. Thank you, for everything."

"Don't mention it, looks like you'll make it to school for Monday though."

"It will be nice to be back, train should be fun!" I laughed

He raised his eyebrow,"I don't want to see you back anytime soon!"

"Don't worry, I'm not planning on it, have you tried the food?!"

He nodded and handed me a sheet of paper signing me off. "You take care now."

I slide out of my bed (the drip had been gone after the first day) and grabbed the bag of fresh clothes my mum had brought me and quickly made my way to the bathroom. Ones in I quickly got out of the hideous gown, being careful of my arm. I noticed the three short scars that where developing on my chest from where they cut me open, I still looked a bit black and blue especially my face but I was healing. It felt good to be back in a pair of jeans and shirt. Leaving the bathroom, I made way down to the waiting room.

"It about time they let your go! Biology's been awfully lonely!"

"Good morning Eve. How did you know I was getting signed off?"

"I'm quite the regular if you haven't noticed, Ivic told me yesterday."

"What! He told you and not me, hey do I smell bacon?!"

"Maybe, fancy breakfast?" she produced two bacon buttes.

"You know me too well." I said taking one of them off of her. "I've been living on prison rations for last four days!"

"Thought you might like it. Shall we?" she nodded towards the door.

"With pleasure!"

We strolled out of the hospital into the gentle breeze of a Sunday morning frost, the sun warming are faces and making it unbearable to look anywhere near Eves ginger hair without blinding me.

We spent the rest of the morning walking around town just talking, it was nice, but she soon had to go to work at the Chippy and I needed to get home.

"I'll see you at school then." she said giving me a hug. "We should do this more often."

"Don't think I could survive another train crash, but okay."

"You know what I meant," she broke away slightly, smiling. "You look after yourself now."

"Aaaa don't worry about me, worry about you!"

"Too late."

We stood there for a minute just holding each other, it felt good, peaceful. "Thank you."

She chuckled. "What for?"

"Being there for me."

"Anytime."

And with that we broke away, waving as we went our separate ways both happy and content.

It was ecstatic! Final I was free of the hospital, my arm was still in a cast but only for couple more weeks, then I'd just be left with the scars to remind me of what happened. I began making my way to the train station, you would of thought I'd had enough of them but I didn't mind. I found my season ticket battered but in one piece, in what was left of my jacket and though I might as well use it. Walking into the familiar station, I passed through the barriers my feet leading the way.

"You're back already?" exclaimed the member of staff checking my pass; I was a regular so they knew me quite well.

"Couldn't get enough, am I only one to come back?"

"So far, I think you'll be getting a letter from us in the post soon."

"Thanks for the heads up, they know why it happened?"

"Haven't told use if they have but you'll be the first to know."

"Thanks," he handed my pass back nodding me through. I headed on to the platform and stood waiting for my train to arrive. As I stood there I realized that I would soon be seeing the place where I was only recently taken away in an ambulance. The wreckage might even still be there! I began to hear the train pulling in and it soon came into site. The station wasn't busy at all so in no time I was sitting comfortable at my own table waiting anxiously for the train to depart. Eventually I heard the engine revving up and we were off. I watched intently through the window waiting for that brief moment where I would see what I survived. It wasn't long before my eyes were rewarded. Wide eyed I observed the disaster before me. The train had rolled ending up on its side with as many bumps and bruises as myself, not to mention half of it had gone up in flames, marked by black soot. The greenery around the wreck was dug up and several trees had obviously been smashed through and roasted. I craned my head back trying to take in everything before it disappeared. Had I really been in that! I remembered very little, mostly sounds but I never thought it had been that bad or gone so far off the tracks. I really was a fortunate individual.

Arriving into my small little station, consisting of two platforms, I walked off the train alive with no further injury then I did walking onto it. It was nice to be back and I couldn't wait to see my Mum's reaction, so much so that as I walked briskly home I went through several scenarios in my head, perfecting it. When I finally arrived at the front step, heart raceing, I opened the door with a click. As soon as the door was opening I could see mum looking towards the door in confusion, but when she saw me her old face lit up as bright as the morning sun and came rushing over to me grinning ear to ear and bring me into a heavy bear hug.

"You're home! You're finally home, but how did you get here?" she wondered.

"Took the train," I grinned.

"Really, after all you've been through. You took the train?!"

"I'm alive, what can I say."

"Well you even had your father worried and that's saying something!" she exclaimed, finally breaking away from me and walking back towards the kitchen.

"Well I did kind of nearly die. Where are my sisters?"

"Oh out and about with the dog, they'll be home soon enough. Is that you out of the hospital for good now?"

"Only to get this cast of in a couple of week and then I'm free. Have I had any post?"

"Okay, and no, were you expecting some?"

"From National Rails."

"Oh yeah, we must of have them over every day since the incident, apologizing. And so they should be! You could have died!"

"But I didn't I'm okay mum." I chuckled to myself. She always fussed about everything.

"Well you could have been! Do you want anything to eat, there's left over's in the fridge?"

"I can wait till dinner, it's okay."

The front door abruptly opened and Lucy the chocolate Lab came bounding in, charging me down.

"It's good to see you to Lucy," I gave her neck a good scratch while my two younger sisters came running in.

"Seth!" the younger one screamed, running head first into me. I always had a soft spot for Anne, she was only 7.

I gave her a big hug back; she only came up to just above my waist. "Good to see you too, have you grown while I was gone?"

"Mummy says I'm growing bigger, but I must eat my carrots."

"What ever mummy says. Hello Lauren, ya miss me?"

"A little," she smiled, coming over to give me hug.

Now that was a rarity for a 15 year old! Everything seems to be back on track. I was on the mend and I'd soon be back at school on Monday, it was as almost as if it had never happened.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

523 38 32
A girl stuck on a thought to find someone who would love her gets caught by the spreading virus that turns into a deadly pandemic zombie plague. She...
1.1M 18.3K 23
WHEN THEY RISE, WE WILL FALL. We've seen the movies, we've watched the TV shows, but nothing will ever prepare us for a real zombie apocalypse. When...
5.1M 236K 41
(Book 1) In a world where a virus has spread turning most of the population into flesh eating monsters, there are two friends partying it up in New O...
495 38 28
When a set of deadly viruses is unleashed on the world everything begins to change. Weather becomes more intense, animals become more dangerous, and...