The Mark of a Fallen Angel

By Misguided

Alexis Gardiner has been through the normal ups and downs of a seventeen year old girl, albeit a few pluses a... More

1: New Beginnings...
2: Patterns and Scars
3: Another Side Of Him
4: Tell Me The Truth
5: Memory
6: Anger
7: Confrontation
8: Just Friends...?
9: Followed
10: Visitor
11: The New Guy
12: Manipulation
13: Barely Coping
14: Feather
15: Familiar Stranger P1
16: Familiar Stranger P2
17: Maryanne Thomas
18: Power
19: Leo
20: Past, Present, and No Future
21: Blonde
22:Cousin Theo
23: The Book of Enoch
24: Family History
25: The Truth.
26: Wings
28: Check List
29: Unaware Goodbye
30 - Part I: Pain
30 - Part II: Who I Am
31: Stories
32: Remembered
33: Training
34: Genevieve
35: Fire and Ice
36: School
37: Attack Me... If You Can
38: Cam
39: Strength
40: Tutored
41 - Part I : Want
41 - Part II - Morning After
42: The Old Ones
43: I Tried
44: Funeral
45: Mysteries and All Other Things
46: Loop hole
47: Christmas
48: Like Old Times
49: 5/6 Days Remaining - 26th December
50: Invincible
51: 4/5 Days Remaining - Death and Anger
52: 3/4 Days Remaining - The Other Side
53: 2/3 Days Remaining - Black Heart
54: 23 Hours Remaining - Step 5
55: Last Hours
56: The Decision
57: One Last Night
Epilogue.

27: Calling

109K 2.3K 219
By Misguided

____________________________

Everything was burnt.

The buildings were burnt, the forms of transport were burnt; everything was burnt. A small but involuntary smile planted itself on my lips. I turned around and spotted a man clearing up burnt items in the distance. I ignored him and started walking around.

I looked down at the clothes I was wearing and frowned. I was wearing a pretty old dress that looked like it was made for Victorian times. Pieces of loose paper flew around and I grabbed one.
I couldn't read the year but it said June 1st. I dropped it and started walking around in the rubble. 

I could hear a voice that came from where the man was coming from so I stopped and turned to him. The voice stopped and then man stared at me from behind something large. 

I tilted my head curiously for a moment but then ignored him. I continued to walk through the burnt rubble when I heard a loud whistle. 

The noise screeched through my ears and caused me to cringe and drop to my knees. 

I glanced in the direction of the man in the distance but he'd disappeared.

Heels stood in front of me. I looked up into the woman's face and gasped. The blonde woman with luminous blue eyes in front of me frowned and said in Enochian, "You need to depart. You've done enough here."

My eyes widened. "Maryanne?!"

She frowned deeper. "My name is Genevieve. You know that."

**

I sat up so fast I got a head rush and dropped back down.

What the hell was that?

That seemed so real. It felt real. I lifted my shaky hands up to my damp head and sighed.

What could it have been? A memory? Was it some sort of illusion? Could someone have maybe placed the scene into my mind? Now I know what angels were capable of, it wouldn't surprise me if that last statement were true.

I sat up again and looked on the empty side Gabriel was sleeping on. I read the digital clock on the side which read 10.05am.

I stood up and walked into the bathroom to splash water on my face. That dream was weird even for me. Telling Gabriel about this wouldn't do any good. 

But... Maryanne. I felt like I knew her even in that dream. But she was blonde. She almost looked as Pure as Axel and Leo. 

I quickly brushed my teeth and combed my hair out.

I walked out and sat on the bed for a brief moment to collect myself. Genevieve seemed like a different person. But the distinctive way she said what she said sounded just like Maryanne. They were exactly the same except for the hair colour. Could it be possible that Mary could have been as Pure as that?

But it still doesn't explain how I knew. How that memory came to me. It felt like a flashback...

I stood up, walked to Gabriel's drawer to borrow shorts then walked out the room.

Could it have been a flashback? But from what? Did I have a glimpse into Maryanne's previous life...?

Or mine?

I shook my head. How could I be so absurd? It might have been made up. It might not even be a flashback! It could have just been my imagination running wild.

I paused at the steps as I heard voices travel from the kitchen.

"...You know when?" I heard an unfamiliar male voice say.

There was a brief pause. "I don't know when. She didn't say when she found out." Gabriel said.

"It doesn't matter now," Elizabeth said. "She knows and that's all that matters."

"Yes, but this is the earliest she has ever known." The unfamiliar voice said. "This could be a sign."

I heard a scoff I recognized as Maryanne. "I doubt it's a sign. She's smart. Independent. She knows what she's doing. It's different this time."

Was that a compliment from her?

I walked down slowly.

"I gave her a lead." I heard Tristan say. "Someone had to."

I was expecting Gabriel or someone to go ape-shit on him but instead I heard sounds of agreement.

"Tristan, you did what you had to do. Gabriel," The voice said. "How is she now?"

"She's fine." Was all he said to 

"And how are you?" He asked seriously.

He didn't reply.

I walked through the living room and into the kitchen. I gasped and smiled. There stood the large beautiful brunette man I hadn't seen since I was fifteen. He was dressed in a White polo shirt and tan khaki shorts. He looked like someone that jumped out of a Ralph Lauren commercial.

Joseph's grey eyes lit up and a smile planted on his lips. "Alexis," He opened his arms.

I walked forward and wrapped myself around him. I only met Gabriel's so called 'Father' a couple of times in the past but every time I did see him, Gabriel and I had so much fun; I had to go to the hospital because of how much laughing I did.

He laughed and said, "Last time I saw you, you were only this high." He let go and pointed to his shoulder.

"Yeah, you've been gone a while."

He nodded his head forward. "I apologize for my absence."

I smiled at him and my eyes moved to Maryanne. I stared at her for a moment with a weird feeling in my stomach. She stared back with a scowl.

She looked so different...

I blinked and turned around. Where did that come from?

"May I?" Joseph asked.

I raised a brow. "May you what?"

He smiled his dazzling smile. "Your hand."

"I wouldn't." Mary said.

I lifted my arm and frowned at it. I still hadn't found out what it was or why it seemed to be spreading. From my hand up to my forearm, it was covered in what looked like a rash.
He didn't touch my hand but he asked me to turn it left and right.

"Do you know what this is Alexis?" He asked me.

I shook my head. "Nobody will tell me."

He chuckled. "I'm sorry but it's going to remain that way. Only for a short time. Don't worry too much."

I nodded and glanced at Maryanne again. She was staring at something out the window not paying any attention to us at all.

Gabriel was frowning so deep I was worried his face would stay like that, Tristan was looking excited yet scared all in one and Elizabeth was staring at me with worry.

Joseph however looked as though he'd done this a thousand times before. 

"I'm not worried." I lied confidently.

He smiled. "I'm sure."

And with that he walked out of the room and into the dining room. Everyone but Gabriel and Maryanne followed.

I wanted to talk to Mary but what could I say? I had a weird dream I thought was real, oh and by the way, we knew each other in a past life!

Yeah, she would believe that.

Gabriel pulled me into his chest. "You alright?"

I nodded. "I'm fine."

He kissed my forehead and sighed.

I heard a scoff. "Cry me a river." Then she started walking toward the back door.

I pulled out of Gabe's embrace and followed her. 

"Lex!" Gabe shouted.

"Maryanne." I said as I followed her. "Stop."

She turned around but walked backwards. "Why should I?"  She turned again and continued walking.

"Mary!" I yelled. "Maryanne."

She continued walking and turned a corner out of sight. Even if she did let me talk to her what was could I say to her?

"Alexis,"

Joseph walked next to me and smiled. "Come and take a walk with me."

I nodded and he led the way through the gate and around the front of the house. We entered the forest Gabriel and I went in yesterday. I noted how normal and peaceful everything looked during the day compared to last night. The birds flew above and twitted along the floors but there were very few animals to be seen.

"I understand you don't know me as well as you know the rest of the family," He started. "I apologize for not being around. The few times we did meet, however were eventful."

I chuckled. "Yeah. We really had fun. It's fine anyway, Joe."

We crunched through the leaves in a comfortable silence until we came to a large log. He sat down and patted the space next to him.

I sat down and he turned to me. "So, tell me how your family is. Tell me how you are."

I smiled and told him how my mother and father were. I told him how I was and how I was handling this whole angel situation. "I found books in the library. Like seven books. I haven't read them all yet. But I read the main ones. The one that told me what you were. The one that told me about your hair, wings and eye colour." He smiled softly. "And all that stuff."

"You know what needs to be known. And I presume you know our language. As in you understand it and can speak it?"

I sighed and nodded. I turned to look up at the sky.

"Hmm..." He closed his eyes and leaned back to put his hands behind him on the log. "Books."

I nodded and watched him. He looked so relaxed. So at home. The wind whipped my hair lightly to the side. I looked up at the moving trees and sighed. It was peaceful out here. Like there was nothing to worry about.

"So, tell me about this hooded stranger."

I turned my head back to Joseph. "Did Gabriel tell you?"

He shook his head. "No. I've known for some time. He's been following you for a while now. But he's merely a messenger. He's working for someone. He isn't the cause to all of your pain, someone else is."

I shut my eyes. "The man said everything in my life was going to get harder, more painful, more... Emotional."

There was small pause. "I'm not going to lie to you, Alexis."

I shook my head. So everything was going to get worse. Maryanne's warning last night wasn't as harsh as that man's. What was there for me that could possibly be so bad?
I frowned. "Do you know who it is?"

He shook his head. "This demon obviously is smart but not smart enough to keep a leash on his worker." He glanced at me and picked up a small rock from the ground. "The man doesn't follow you here because of the family. And now that Gabriel and Tristan are with you every waking minute, he hasn't been around."

"How do you know all of this?" I asked him.

He smiled. "I just know." He patted my hand. "So, you and Gabriel hmm?"

I cleared my throat but didn't answer.

"The way you admitted that you love him was very sweet."

I laughed. "I'm sure this isn't something Gabriel blurts out to everyone."

"You're right."

I raised a brow. "Then how..."

He tilted his head and stared at me.

He knew almost everything when he wasn't even here... Then it finally clicked. "Elizabeth said your power was both a gift and a curse."

He nodded. "The gift of knowing is sometimes helpful. But, yes it can be a curse. Knowing too much can be painful. And sometimes I could be wrong." He frowned. "Unfortunately, I'm only wrong five percent of the time."

"I'm guessing you've known about me for a while then. Even before you met me?"

"I've known about you since the day you were conceived, Alexis."

I chuckled and ran a hand through my hair. "That's kind of gross."

He shrugged with a smile. "I don't control these things. Some things come to me in sections; some come to me like a bullet. And you're one of those bullets."

I sighed. "So you've known everything that's happened up until now?"

He nodded once. "Right down to your latest dream."

I stiffened and gulped.

"No need to try and hide it. I saw everything you saw. I wouldn't talk to Maryanne about Genevieve just yet. I assume she'll rip your head off." He chuckled and threw the rock so far, I lost sight of it.

"So... What was the dream?" I asked. "And what was that horrible screeching whistle I heard?"

"That was Maryanne. You know she causes physical and emotional pain, and that was her trying to get your attention. And the dream... A memory from one of your past lives." He stated simply.

My eyes widened and my mouth dropped open. "O-one of my past lives? How many have I had?"

He held up a hand as if stopping me from asking anymore questions. "I can't say. But the dreams are all part of your Transformation. Your dreams happen for a reason. They all have meaning."

They all had meaning.

So, the forest fire dreams have meaning? I hadn't had those dreams since last week.

"You're probably wondering what I mean by Transformation? I'm sorry to say but when you change, it's not something that happens over night. It's a process. Starting with your dreams. You have the two main stages: The Penultimate Stage and The Final Stage. You don't have to worry about the Final Stage just yet. But when the time comes you'll be trained properly."

I could hear the blood pounding in my ears. I've already started to change. Mary said two or three months not in less than four weeks. This was too much to take in. I don't know anything about the change let alone what's going to happen during.

"You're very important, Alexis. I'll tell you this now that no one is trying to kill you. No one wants you dead."

I nodded and leaned forward.

"You have a calling. Everyone does. Your calling is of great importance." He stretched his arms up and sat up.

I ran a hand through my hair. I was freaking out inside. I was glad I knew something about what I was going to become but then again this information has scared the shit out of me. Joseph had basically told me the things I've wanted to know ever since the hooded stalker guy told me I was important to this world and his.

"You need to realize that your relationship with Gabriel is dangerous." He suddenly said. "Your new found love for each other is dangerous for both you and him."

I straightened up and turned to stare at him. His bright grey eyes were begging me to understand. Begging me to accept the fact that Gabriel wasn't normal.

"I understand it's dangerous. But-"

"You love him. Love always conquers all." He chuckled but then turned serious. "But in your case it doesn't." I wanted him to elaborate but he stood up and offered me his hand. "Shall we?"

I took his hand and he helped me up. We made our way back to the house while he whistled a tune I didn't recognize. My thoughts ran wild. I was beginning to understand so much more than I did last month. Most things were becoming clear and yet there were still secrets I wanted to uncover.

"Gabriel knows about everything I explained to you apart from the Genevieve dream. I suggest you keep it that way." Joseph smiled down at me as we exited the forest and made our way inside.

Elizabeth popped up around the corner and walked up to Joseph. "How did it go?"
"Just fine." He replied with a soft adoring smile.

Her arms wrapped around his neck and his wrapped around her waist.

I turned around and walked into the kitchen. I felt like I was intruding their privacy.

Gabriel walked in with my bag from last night. "Your phone has been driving me crazy."

I dug through my bag and pulled out my phone. Eight missed calls from my mom, four missed calls from both Theo and Anthony and seven text messages from Tracey.

I started with my mom. "Are you still at Gabriel's?"

"Yes."

There was a pause. "When are you going to be home?"

"Uhh..." I looked at the clock on the wall. "This evening?"

"Alright well, thank Elizabeth for hosting the party this year. Tell her she can come over tomorrow for a cup of coffee."

I rolled my eyes. "Sure thing mom."

Arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me against their hard chest. I smiled and leaned into him.

"Did you enjoy your party?" She asked me.

"Yeah. Thanks mom, for everything. It was great." 

Gabriel's lips touched the side of my throat. I smiled into the phone and looked over my shoulder.

A cute smile curved his lips.

"You're welcome sweetie. See you later," Then she hung up.

I turned in Gabriel's arms and wrapped mine around his neck. "Tell me something,"

"Anything,"

I raised a brow. "There's something I thought I'd never hear you say."

He chuckled.

"Tell me how your mom got the stage out back to disappear overnight." I wondered.

He burst out laughing and lifted me up in a hug. "What you don't know can't hurt you."

"Funny you should say that," I said with a smirk.

He put me down and planted a small kiss on my lips. "Well, in your case it's the other way around."

"Alexis!"

I turned toward the kitchen archway to see an angry Tristan. "You know what I just remembered?"

"Your brain?" I gasped dramatically.

He didn't even crack a smile. "Remember when I told you to tell me first when you found out about us?"

I let go of Gabriel's neck but he didn't let go of me. "Oh, yeah I-"

"You think I'm going to let you get away with it?" He crossed his arms over his chest and gave me an evil smirk.

I glanced at Gabriel and back.

"Paybacks a bitch."

Well, this was going to be a long evening. Maybe I could get Gabriel to fly me out of-

"With what he's planning, you're on your own. Even I can't get you out of this." He kissed my forehead and walked out of the kitchen.

My jaw dropped as I watched him leave. How could he?!

Tristan stepped forward. "Like I said: Payback's a bitch, babe."

Shoot me now.

_______________________________________

(Partly edited: 2023)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.5K 574 22
*COMPLETE* "I want to be someone to you." Isabella has only ever wanted one thing since she was a little girl. Her best friend, Phineas Flynn. But wh...
4 0 4
As Unities' Journey continues she begins to forget everything about her past. She's able to move forward and distract herself from the memories that...
80 2 1
Alex thought she was normal. She was living a normal life. But then everything changed after winter break. School started again. Alex is living with...