Worlds Apart

Da cafanfiction

Aurora Ashur is an eighteen year old girl darkened by the death of her father. Cold, calculated, independent... Altro

Isolation
Suspicion
Deception
Devastation
Treachery
Guilt
Bravery
Vulnerability
Forgiveness
Festivities
Confliction
Uncertainty
Connections
Planning
Preparations
Repentance
Sabatoge
Declarations
Bloodlines
Abandonment
Abduction
Observation
Spotlight
Exposure
Honesty
Consequences
Strategy
Training
Absolution
Impetus
Exodus
Courage
Pursuit
Expedition
Discoveries
Arrival
Strength
Reckoning
Dissolution
Justice
Resurgence
Lineage
Intentions
Abidance
Reunions
Fare
Discourse
Allegiance
Safeguard
Objectivity
Fusion
Confrontations
Poignance
Forewarning
Affinity
Equanimity
Dereliction
Tenebrosity
Benevolence
Love
Tempest
Insurgents
Aurora
Peace
War
Catechism
Odium
Strain
Numb
Apostasy
Flight
Fight
Cohesion
Turpitude
Coronation
Inheritors
Closure

Cadence

53 3 4
Da cafanfiction

"This is a plan with a lot of moving parts." I begin as I stand, Eerika's grip tightening over my hand as I do so. She retreats when I nod, hinting the wave of nausea and lightheadedness brought on by the Flame has passed. "There will be a taskforce providing an initial assault on Wyetta's men, which I will lead, and the rest of the army waiting for the signal to engage out of range in the gorge."

"An initial taskforce?" Eerika asks as I head forward to retrieve all of my weapons from their place scattered along the floor of the tent. "Don't your taskforces only amount to a handful of men?"

"Yes."

"A handful of men against a fit of fire power that killed over 200 of my warriors?"

"When I was under influence of the Flame, I saw something." I state, now fully geared up and ready to face the others. "Those pulverizers, while powerful, have one fatal flaw in their design."

"Which is?" Eadric asks, rising to stand beside his sister.

"They're vulnerable to precise impacts."

"Precise impacts?" Apache asks, taking a pointed step towards me. "You mean like gunfire?"

"Or hits from long distance weaponry."

"Such as spears or arrows?" Eerika asks.

"Arrows are easier," Eadric contributes, crossing his arms over his chest, "but you still have a lot of explaining to do."

I raise a wry brow against his impugning glare. "Probably best I do that in front of a crowd."

"The Ambassadors." Apache nods, already making a move for the flap of the tent. "I'll gather them at once."

"I'll check in with Olvir and Einar, see how the battalions are managing." Eerika offers.

"Fine but bring Einar to me when you're finished." I instruct, needing her by my side for this. "Maaike too if you see her."

"You'll be the first to know if I do."

"I'll get the others ready." Eadric offers, heading towards the flap of the tent.

I narrow my eyes towards his armored form, my expression hardened. "I didn't say the taskforce would consist of its original members."

As I expected, my critique stops Eadric completely in his tracks. But the tension always prevalent in his hitched shoulders and gloved hands is replaced by a precision in his movements as he calmly turns to face me. His jawline is sharp in a manner that suggests a degree of anger, his pale blue eyes alert as he considers my words with a stubborn jut of his chin. "Don't worry," he mutters, laconic as he flexes his hands bruised beneath their fingerless apparel, "I'll be quick."

I realize what is missing when he turns to leave the tent without another word. Ever since we were reunited, there has been youthful light in Eadric that has dimmed, a light that spoke to his believe in his invulnerability. I recognized the expression, never the feeling that accompanied it. Maybe he no longer does either.

Despite his mundane manner earlier, Eadric still joins my side effortlessly as I make my way towards the tent filled with every Ambassador and their seconds. Apache hefts his spear and shield over his back with an intensity matching Einar's manner as she joins my side in similar apparel, Maaike and Njal trailing a little ways behind them. Perhaps Eadric had a chat with the little boy about being his second from now on, grant him some protection after he bravely stood by Eerika's side despite her wrongdoings in the gorge? Either way, his loyalty is admirable, and this formation is interesting but seems to be enough to gain us some authority as medics and other personnel gladly step out of our way to bow to us with fists raised to their hearts.

Entering the torchlit tent filled with solemn members of units that just lost dozens of their men presents a different tone, however, one far less untouchable, one much more real. These men before me are desperate for relief from the badlands, hungry from our depleted rations, exhausted after having just fought and lost a battle.

So how the hell do I go about convincing them we can still win this war?

"Ambassadors," Einar begins, stepping into her diplomatic mode, "we have gathered here today after having suffered a devastating loss of over two hundred of our men. We are tired, weak, but nevertheless we are here, gentlemen, as is our Queen, and she comes here today ready to offer us answers to our pleas."

"Aurora, it has been quite some time since we last saw one another." The Ambassador of Aqua Cantavit offers, stepping forward to offer a wrist.

"Yet you look hardly different." I note, reciprocating the gesture. "I know we've had little any time to chat, Ambassadors, but-"

"That was hardly your fault, My Lady." The Ambassador of Nix Cantavit offers good-naturedly, the young man I appointed all those years ago.

"Where is your second?" Apache asks when he notes the empty space behind the bulky warrior.

The Ambassador allows his gaze to momentarily waver before revealing, "She was killed during the battle."

"She?"

"My younger sister."

This devastating news causes a weighted silence to emerge, this notion hitting scarily close to the man beside me who almost lost his own younger sister as he swallows thickly, unable to offer any sympathies towards the Ambassador. This density continues to loom over the already disparaging environment until a shuffling near the entrance to the tent draws our attention to Eerika who has just entered the meeting. Judging by her expression, she also heard what was revealed by the stocky yet soft spoken Ambassador, her expression more transparent than ever as she slowly steps up to the incredibly large figure. Carefully, she sets a hand over his shoulder, encouraging his downward casted gaze to lift slightly towards her own. Understandably, this revelation causes him to retreat slightly, his entire body tensed at the sight of Eerika's armored form, yet the shock of seeing her softened expression must awe him enough that he remains before her.

"If you need a second, it is clear I still have much to learn." Eerika relents, shocking all of us around her. "My knowledge of battle strategy may be flawed, but I know about loss. I'm well aware I can in no way fill the void left in result of my ill-informed actions, but in honor of your sister, I will fight by your side if you'll have me."

"You may be a little overqualified, Princess." The Ambassador mutters with a disdainful edge to his tone, attempting to step back from her grip.

She holds strong, refusing to budge. "All the more reason I should do it. I'll offer you my protection until you have the opportunity to properly assess candidates from your own clan."

"Take the offer, Ambassador." Eadric insists, his gruff tone inarguable. "Let her fight by your side. She owes you that much."

Although clearly struggling to come to terms with Eerika assuming such a role, the Ambassador relents to his King's commands, stepping aside to allow her room beside him. With humility clearly being something Eerika lacks, this demotion she gladly accepts seems like a step in the right direction.

"With all of that settled, I think it's time we get back to discussing the matters at hand." I interject, drawing Eadric's attention back to the maps scattered over the crates stacked before us.

"I agree." He grunts closer to my side, his voice above me. His chest plate grazes my shoulder when he leans forward to rest his hand over the map closest to him, his index finger poised over the top ridgeline of the plateau the prisoners utilized to get a better angle on our troops. "Here is where they set up the majority of their fortification."

"And why is this relevant?" Njal asks, stepping forward to get a better look of the documents himself.

"She's got a plan." Maaike notes, perceptive as always.

"Something like that." I state, returning her smirk. "As we all discovered only hours ago, their technological advantage, superior fire power, and occupation of higher ground makes this enemy difficult to access. They have the potential to mow us down with bullets alone before we can even get near them."

"That's what forced our retreat." The Ambassador of Lignum Cantavit confirms.

"It is." I nod. "But bullets alone aren't the only form of offense they utilize."

The Ambassador of Glacies Cantavit is already shaking his head towards the thought of the pulverizers capable of shredding men to pieces when I glance to him. "Those cannons make getting near them impossible." He insists.

"But they also provide our enemy with a great disadvantage if we plan out our next attack carefully," I counter, "give them a target."

"A target?" The same Ambassador asks, his expression growing uneasy. "If you're suggesting we throw more men towards those horrific contraptions-"

"That's suicide." The Ambassador of Nix Cantavit critiques, causing Eerika to bristle a bit beside him.

"No, I'm not about to ask any of you to risk your men at the front lines again until those pulverizes are dealt with."

"Dealt with?" The Ambassador of Aqua Cantavit echoes. "How will they be dealt with?"

"With our help."

All of our attention is drawn to the entrance of the tent where the others, Carter, Alice, Brian, John, and Ukaleq are armed to the teeth with more than their signature weapons and suited up in light and heavy variations of crimson and ebony and armor. Iolana, I note, is absent from the group. Jackie, at the head of the group, leads them over to the Ambassador's with an explanation already on her lips.

"We've already heard an inkling of this plan you have, Aurora, and we want in."

I nod, sparing a glance towards Eadric who steps forward to offer the others reassuring grips over their shoulders. "Good, because we could do with your intelligence."

"As I assumed." Jackie smirks before turning towards the Ambassadors. "I'm assuming none of you know much about these pulverizers or got too good a look at them?"

"Are you claiming you did?" The Ambassador of Nix Cantavit questions.

"Not a close look, but I got a glimpse of how they operate when I acted as a man on the inside." Jackie explains. "The fire power on those cannons is fragile, but more importantly it is time consuming. To load up a pulse of that power, it takes time to charge that power up. This slot, though narrow and only lasting of a few seconds, is the window we'll have to act."

"Think of these cannons as a ticking time bomb," Alice explain after noting the confused glances exchanged between the Ambassadors. "Before they fire, their internals heat up to a temperature making them susceptible to considerable damage via gunfire, which we have, or through long distance weaponry alone. If we land precision shots into the mouths of the cannons just before they fire, we can apply enough pressure to cause them to combust on sight."

"Combust?" One of the Ambassador ventures.

"Explode." Jackie clarifies.

The mood of the room experiences a subtle shift from its skeptical state as the Ambassadors expressions begin to lighten, their shoulders lifting and chins rising against their sunken cheeks and the bags under their eyes. What I see in their eyes now, past the dulled exhaustion and despair, for the first time in days, perhaps, is hope.

But just to be sure they are on my side, I take care to secure my plan. "The explosions could kill twenty men on sight as well as take down their entire fortification."

"Eliminating their defense completely-"

"As well as removing all of their advantages they have over us within an hour." I conclude for the Ambassador of Lignum Cantavit.

"We could still win this war, gentleman." Eadric insists, leaning forward to catch their intent gazes.

"But you still have yet to answer an important question, Your Majesty." The Ambassador of Aqua Cantavit reveals.

Eadric raises a wry brow before pulling back from over the documents to stand tall. "Which is?"

"Through the chaos of war, landing a perfectly timed, precise shot will be impossible."

"Is that a question?"

"My question is, how do we draw out the cannons and land the shot?"

"The cannons are charged, and their charge is limited." Alice reveals. "It's clear they only prefer to bring them out to negate cover like the rockfalls utilized by your troops in the gorge."

"And most of those were cleared away when we first marched in, yes." The Ambassador continues. "So how do we guarantee they'll bring out the cannons, and how do we ensure our men will be able to both time and land a shot before the pulse is released?"

"It's like I said earlier," I clarify, drawing the Ambassador's expectant expressions to me, "we provide them with a target."

"The rover." Maaike realizes, finishing my thoughts for me.

"With an appointed taskforce to take it into the gorge." I add. "This taskforce will act as the first wave of our offensive maneuvers, designed to take out their fortification so the rest of you can march into the gorge with no opposing forces left to stop you."

"In case it wasn't clear, Ambassadors," John begins, leaning forward to motion towards the others, "we're your taskforce here."

"From then on out, the grounds we're fighting on will be equal, and our numbers will easily overwhelm their forces." Eerika summarizes, completely ignoring John's snide remark. "It's brilliant."

"Any additional questions, Ambassadors?" Eadric asks immediately after, his expression dark. "Good," he mutters when none are ventured, "then let's finish this."

Apache decides to oversee the organization of the troops while Eerika ventures off with the Ambassadors, ready to provide them with a briefing of what exactly to expect out there. Einar offers to fill her cousin in on the plan, though his role will remain mostly the same as the majority of this plan working out relies on the role of the taskforce. After sending the others towards the rover, Njal included, I expect Eadric to follow, leaving Maaike by my side.

"You did good in there." She offers, adjusting the strap of her quiver.

"Thanks," I mutter distractedly, my eyes on Njal as he momentarily turns back upon realizing Maaike's no longer at his side. "So did you."

"I trust you, Aurora. Everyone does." She assures me. When she catches Njal's gaze lingering on her, she hesitates, unsure whether to follow him.

"You know you can go." I state, drawing her attention back to me.

To this, Maaike pauses, well aware of the implications behind such a statement. "Njal's in the frontlines." She reminds me, watching closely for my reaction.

"He is."

"They go in first," she adds, "right after the taskforce."

"They do."

"But you... I thought you wanted me near the rear of the army with the archers. You said-"

"What I said was wrong, Maaike." I relent, taking in her lightly armored build and capable stance with a heavy sign. "I've always prepared you for the worst, and I did have responsibility over you when you were a child. I still do have a duty to protect you, but holding you back is not how I do that now."

"Then why did you insist I stay back if you thought I was skilled enough to be at the frontlines?"

More than willing to stall before confronting this question, I grab a couple crates near us, dragging them over so we can take a seat, Maaike across from me. Leaning forward with my elbows in my knees and gloved hands clutching one another tightly, I realize that I owe Maaike complete transparency, complete honesty. But seeing the innocence in her expectant gaze that has dimmed some since all of this started makes it nearly impossible for me to find the words. Nearly. "All I wanted was to protect you from this... from what I was never spared from. War and violence and death have been a part of my life since I was eighteen years old and knowing how compassionate and loyal you've always been, I wanted to do everything in my power to preserve those traits in you. I didn't want you to lose faith in this world like I nearly have so many times, and in my mind it had to be different with you. I wanted to do just one good thing with my life, to protect you... and now you've been thrown into the middle of it all. That's why I insisted you stay back."

When I find the courage to look back into Maaike's eyes again, her gaze is softened, saddened, but not weak. Her compassion towards my confession actually urges her to lean forward and set her olive hands partially concealed by her finger guard and hunting gear over my own, where she holds tight. "That doesn't make you weak, Aurora, nearly giving up in the past."

"I understand that now." I promise her, holding tight to her hand. "I do, and I'm so sorry if I ever made it seem like I was overlooking your capabilities, Maaike. You're truly one of the most talented individuals in this army, and that is purely by your own volition."

"No, it isn't." Maaike argues, silencing me. "You trained me, Aurora. You showed me compassion when I was on the streets, a little girl with no status who you didn't know or owe anything to, yet you fed me, gave me the tools to defend myself and taught me not to be afraid. You taught me what it takes to survive down here long before you took me under your wing, and what it takes is heart. That's why you're the Queen you are, Aurora, and that's why the people back you; because you care. Your empathy for those who can't defend themselves is what sets you apart from the others. It's what set you apart from Vlasta, and it's what every Ambassador in that room just saw now."

Feeling uneasy after her sudden string of compliments, I allow a warm smile to spread over my lips before quietly insisting, "I'm not as strong as you think, Maaike."

"Aurora, please stop with this self-defamation, okay? For four years you told me stories of all the heroes on the ground; Eerika who led her people in that bunker, Eadric who won the war against Trident, your friends who helped unite the Grounders and Sky People... when all along, you were the hero in my eyes. You saved me, Aurora, and fighting this war will allow me to utilize all the gifts you have given me over these past four years to return the favor."

With tears welling in my eyes, I surge forward to pull Maaike into a strong embrace, holding her tight to my chest as she clutches my armor with a shaky grip. "I've made a lot of mistakes in my life." I whisper, for her ears only. "But if every single one had to happen to ensure I was right here, right now, in this moment to have met you, to have seen you grow... then I forgive myself for them all."

The trembling sigh Maaike releases is hint enough that her emotions have grown to match the tears streaming down my own cheeks. But even between the muffled sobs she releases into my shoulder, her light tone is clear as day when she raises her chin to utter, "I love you, Aurora."

The warmth that spreads through my chest is like a call to home; grounded, comforting, real. It acts as a realization, one that makes my response feel like a weight has been lifted off my chest. "I love you too."

Njal is flipping his sword in hand as he paces back and forth, an indicator he is waiting to accompany the young warrior I pull away from now as she considers him with a softened expression. "He's kinder than I imagined he'd be." She relents, drawing my critical gaze back to her own still eyeing him thoughtfully. "But I know better than to form attachments now."

"It's okay to use your head and your heart in war, Maaike." I assure her, causing her to bristle.

"I don't need him protecting me out there." She argues, stubborn.

"I'm well aware of that fact." I assure her with a grin. "But having someone's back to watch as he does yours isn't something to be afraid of."

"I'm not afraid." She promises me, only for her tone to waver with her next declaration. "I just don't want to risk caring for him anymore than I already do, not when we're separated by clans, about to go into war where one of us could easily-"

"Easy, easy." I murmur, leaning down to brush hair out of her face as she tries to catch her breath. "Just breathe, okay?"

"I'm trying to." She mutters, raising a shaky hand to wipe her eyes. "I'm just..."

"You're scared." I finish for her.

"I'm really not-"

"For him." I clarify, causing her heavy breaths to waver as she slowly raises her head to look to Njal again. "I understand that fear, Maaike. None of us want to lose those we care about."

"Then how do you do it?" She asks, turning back to face me.

"Do what?"

"Let them go?"

I take a moment to consider my answer carefully. "I'm willing to let you go, and you know exactly why. Because I have faith in you." I explain. "If he is confident enough to march by your side, that means he has faith in you too. It might do you some good to try to reciprocate that."

With her lip braced between her teeth, Maaike glances once more to Njal's capable form before firmly nodding. "Okay," she breathes, gaining her confidence back, "okay, I will."

I give her a moment to breath deep, but cannot help but question her previous slip as I deduct, "You care about him?"

Given her widened eyes that meet my own with a subtle gasp, she need not even bother answering.

"North Stars are rare." I mutter after sometime, unsure where my words are coming from. "It's rare you'll meet someone who encompasses the way home, someone who is home that you will love. But you will love them as they are because they are yours and you are theirs. They exist beneath your skin, in your veins, in your bones, in everything you do... and whether you're willing to realize it or not, you are born half in love with them. And to have them and to be theirs is like nothing else would dare to be."

Perhaps overwhelmed by my sudden declaration, Maaike swallows thickly before muttering, "Aurora-"

"I'm not saying Njal's your North Star." I concede, causing her to still. "I'm saying that you ought to know what a North Star is now, and not too late as I did, just in case."

"Was Eadric your North Star?" Maaike asks after a moment, leaning towards me slightly.

"He's the one who comforted me, who cared for me. He's the one who truly understood me, who is, or at least was, an echo of me." I explain, an indirect answer to her pointed question. "I threw all that away. If you care for this boy, don't hesitate on my account. But if he hurts you, I kill him, you got that?"

Momentarily ducking her head to hide her smirk, Maaike shakes her head as I rise, a rueful grin over her lips. "I'm sure he's intimidated enough by me alone to keep from doing that."

"Still." I shrug. "Now go on, get in formation. You don't have much time before the troops begin to march off."

Maaike nods, leaning up to press a chaste kiss to my cheek before whispering, "May we meet again."

I set a hand over her cheek, my voice strong as I assure her, "We will."

I take a couple steps towards the pair as Maaike rushes up to Njal who greets her with a warm smile. He offers a brief bow my way before raising a hand to the small of Maaike's back to guide her towards the front of the first battalion. That is until she elbows him, insisting she can get there herself. Still, her smile seems genuine when she raises a hand for him to take, offering they walk in side by side. Content with this, Njal nods, reaching forward to take her hand in his own where they head towards the troops together.

"He's a good kid."

I startle to see Eadric standing behind me, unsure what to make of the notion of him choosing to stay back instead of having gone off with the others.

"Jackie's driving." He clarifies after a moment, unprovoked.

I hardly react, allowing my clenched jaw and stiff stance to speak for me instead.

"I know I had no right to do that." He states, as though this were reassuring at all.

"Do what?" I answer regardless, willing to entertain his attempts at an apology.

"Listen in on what you two were saying."

"Right."

Eadric takes in my indifference with an edge of irritation having crept into his usual scowl, but he manages to suppress the urge to comment on my manner as he states, "I had a chat with him, Njal. He knows to look out for Maaike while they're out there."

"You shouldn't have interfered at all."

"I had every right to." He argues. "Njal's young, he could benefit from some direction."

"And Maaike's smart. She can handle herself-"

"I didn't say I interfered for her sake." Eadric snaps, cutting me off. He juts his chin towards the pair still walking off before continuing, "The kid's young, cocky. Maaike's resilient, strong, rebellious but she has a talent for humbling those around her. You trained her well. Njal could benefit having such a strong warrior by his side who actually has a couple kills in combat."

"She would've sought him out anyway." I mutter, raising a hand to maneuver the lengthy tail of my braid back behind me from over my shoulder.

Eadric's eyes track my gloved hand until its braced against my Desert Eagle Mark XIX pistol strapped to my thigh. "You know," he mutters, eyeing the machine gun secured to my side just above it, "I learned how to shoot while on the ring."

This comment actually causes my thoughts to falter as I raise my eyes to watch Eadric closely. Aside from his daunting claymore strapped to his back, swords holstered over his hips, and countless blades tucked away all over his armor, there is no automated weapon I can detect on him. But still, curiosity gets the best of me as I venture, "You did?"

He nods. "Carter and Brian taught me. I knew I'd have to eventually learn, knowing the rest of my armies were going to have access to them."

"That's the only reason?"

"Of course not." He immediately counters. "We defeated the mountain. Their legends of wiping out entire villages should one of my people pick up a gun are worthless now."

I hum as ponder his words, not quite convinced by his prepared remarks.

Judging by his scoff that follows, it is clear Eadric has taken note of my skepticism as he takes a light step forward to insist, "It wasn't because of my father."

"Right."

"I would tell you if it was."

"Would you?"

"You, yes." He insists before abruptly stilling, catching himself.

A strange look passes over my face as I cock my head to the side, an incredulous scoff passing my lips. "You've hardly talked to me about your experiences on the ring. There's no need to start now."

"It appears we've both been secretive with our pasts apart from each other." Eadric declares, his voice low but gaze searching.

"I'm really not looking to hear about yours." I snap, my thoughts immediately turning towards the woman who apparently kept him satisfied all those years he was on the ring.

Eadric narrows his eyes against my distain, his expression infuriatingly knowing as he sets his hands over his hips, his manner defensive. "I mourned your death for two years." He abruptly admits, causing me to blink at his intense stare, tentative. "I spent the majority of them aimlessly walking the halls of the ship, spending hours in the prison station going over all the drawings you etched in your cell. There was one night, following twenty-four months spent in agony, when I nearly took my own life until Iolana stopped me before I could go through with it."

Shocked by his sudden confession and the intensity his tense stare has adopted, I take an unsteady step back. My tone is wavering when I somehow find it in me to respond. "Why would you tell me this now?"

"We may die today." He states, brash, without warning. "And on top of that, I'm already in your head."

"That hardly explains anything."

"The pain I felt at losing you, I shouldn't have tried to bandage it with a sham of a relationship." He adds, another attempt at an apology, I suppose. But this time he takes care to confirm this when he says, "I'm sorry."

Not willing to confront these emotions Eadric's confessions have brought forth in me now, I abruptly clear my throat, tearing my gaze from his intently searching my own. With my expression sobered, I use his apology as a transition to a question that has been occupying my mind for some time now. "Where is Iolana?"

"I told her to stay back on this one."

"You did?" I ask, curiosity getting the best of me.

Eadric nods. "I don't need her fighting my battles for me anymore, and I can't have her on my conscience. She deserves better."

"And yet you'd leave without saying goodbye!"

Eadric and I turn towards the angered statement, me taking the automatic cue to retreat some as Iolana quickly occupies a space right across from Eadric. Her full lips are pursed, her blonde waves disheveled and she points towards him accusingly. "I told you not to fight this war, Eadric."

"And I said you'll never have any power over what I choose for myself."

"This isn't even for yourself!" Iolana shouts, her cheeks flushed with her anger. "It's for this warped sense of obligation you feel towards staying on the throne! Finally, you were free from your family and the burden ruling has always had over you, and yet even after everything we've been through, you'd still choose that bloody title over us!"

"Ruling has shaped the man I've become," Eadric states, admirably calm against Iolana's degrading remarks, "as has my family whether you choose to appreciate that or not. Our people have always been my top priority, and I lost sight of that on the ring. But I'm done making excuses now, I'm done trying to run from who I am. Being a King is in my blood. It's ingrained in everything I do and everything I am, and if you can't accept that, then you best stay the hell out of my way because I promise you, you can't stop me. Nothing can."

"Your sister almost killed all of us!" Iolana declares, drawing my lips apart as I train my anxious gaze on Eadric.

Where I expect Iolana's insult against Eerika to summon hellfire from Eadric, the latter actually remains cool, his gaze steely with his resolve. With an edge of suspicion having crept into his intimidating scowl, however, it is clear something has occurred to Eadric as he asks with a gravelly, wavering tone, "Did you rat us out?"

For a moment, Iolana's anger is replaced with self-doubt as she allows her gaze to momentarily falter. She takes a step back, as though attempting to escape Eadric impugning glare before scoffing as though his accusation were laughable. "What are you talking about?"

"The people in the gorge, including me... we were ambushed because Wyetta somehow knew we were coming."

"What does that have to do with me-?"

"You had access. You were our man on the inside. You had every opportunity to confront Wyetta, set Eerika up to fail, tear this Coalition apart from the inside out-"

"You sound insane right now." Iolana declares, her tone wavering.

"You mean like the kind of insane that manages to hold a grudge against someone's sister for so many years now-"

"We were never going to win this war, Eadric!" Iolana bursts, having been driven to rage.

It is hard to say what kind of reaction I expected from Eadric if he were ever put in such a difficult position as this. On one hand, Iolana's feud with Eerika, wanting to see her fail so badly all because Eadric continued to choose her over him is well worth a string of obscenities at the very least. But the fact that she would go to such an extent as to get hundreds of our people killed over it is a matter I am frankly struggling to process altogether. Eadric, however, only seems to be filled with hollow disappointment as he looks down on the traitor before him, disgusted, but somehow not surprised even after all of this. Maybe, all along, he knew what she was capable of, how broken she was, but simply thought that if he stayed by her side, that would be enough. Unfortunately, it seems it was not.

Instead of attempting to reconcile her sudden confession, it would appear Iolana is as defensive as ever as she voices a number of excuses without reason. "I had a firsthand look at how Wyetta trains her armies, your sister was never going to compare. She was leading us all to the slaughter!"

"So your solution was to betray your own people?" Eadric states, his chilling expression unchanged.

"It wouldn't be the first time I defied your sister, Eadric!"

My eyes snap to Iolana's opposing form just as Eadric's icy gaze widens, it all coming together for him. "You killed Lakote?" He breathes, his entire body tensing at the thought.

Iolana barely blinks against his paling complexion. "He was foolish enough to try to protect her after the bunker was sealed. That's on him."

"You tried to kill my sister?" He whispers, his piercing gaze turning glassy.

"Eerika was going to get all of us killed." Iolana counters, unapologetic. "I know it."

"When she was still good?" He continues as though she said nothing. "When she still had Lakote?"

"Lakote was weak."

"Or he was on to you, and the spying you were doing for the ice nation."

"That's completely irrelevant-"

"He was a good man." Eadric states, raising a fist to his heart. "He was loyal."

"You hated him."

Eadric actually has to turn away from her as he sets his hands over his hips, allowing his head to fall as he releases a series of sharp breaths. A cruel grin forms over his lips as soon as he has recovered, where he mutters a moment later under his breath, "Goes to show how little you know me."

"I do know you, Eadric." Iolana insists, taking a bold step towards him. "I know that your sister is your weakness, and the second we got back to the ground, she sought to exploit that."

"The person we found leading the bunker was broken, because you broke her." Eadric utters, his tone gravelly, dark.

"Baby, she was already broken-"

Iolana's next remark is cut off by the calloused hand encircling her neck, squeezing tight as Eadric slowly backs her into a tall stack of crates behind her.

"Eadric!" I shout, rushing up to the pair to intervene.

"You would try to console me with the voice that betrayed my people?" He growls, his jaw clenched and teeth gritted all he slams her into the wood behind her. "You would try to reach out to me with the same hands that tore my family apart?"

"Eadric, please, she can't breathe!"

"You would bed me, manipulate me, parade me in front of my sister knowing you killed her own lover!"

"I-I'm sorry-" Iolana squeaks, her desperate wringing over Eadric's wrist doing nothing to stop him.

"No you're not." He hisses, allowing his arm to curl just high enough to bring Iolana's feet nearly off the ground as he leans further towards her. "You're not capable of feeling anything real at all. You gave yourself away to vengeance and destruction, and those are the only things any of us see when we look at you now."

"Eadric-!"

"And you know what's ironic?" Eadric goads, still not letting up on his hold any. "Even after all of your terrible attempts at destroying what is left of my family, Eerika managed to overpower them, because unlike you, she's redeemable... and now I know you're not."

Upon finally being released from Eadric's unforgiving grip, Iolana immediately drops to her knees, keened over and desperate to gulp down any air back into her lungs as Eadric slowly steps back, his hands clenched into tight fists at his sides. Iolana, having never been quite as keen in hiding her emotions, continues to sob in the midst of the camp, a hand pressed to her chest as she continues to gasp for breath in between her fits of wailing. It is a difficult scene to watch unfold, and yet Eadric seems to have little trouble turning away from her now as he turns to face me.

"Let's go." He grunts, hardly waiting for me to acknowledge his order before he has rounded me to make his way over to the rover.

I find myself rooted to the spot for a moment, for some reason finding it difficult to look away from Iolana's dejected form. Is it because had I not learned to trust in my heart sooner, I could have ended up isolating myself as she has? Regardless of my reason for hesitating, it quickly dawns on me that I have no choice but to leave her, well aware we have a job to do, one that will require our full attention. Knowing this, I slowly manage to turn from Iolana only to be greeted with the others watching on devastatingly. I wince as Eadric barrels past them, then approach slowly, well aware they knew Iolana much better than I ever did, and I can only imagine how hard this must be for them to take now.

"It's okay if you need time." I mutter, setting a hand over Jackie's shoulder as she appears the most upset over what has just transpired.

"To think all this time, we had no idea that she..."

"You can't let it get to you." I whisper, jutting my chin towards the rover Eadric wrenches the back doors open to now.

"She's right." Ukaleq insists, crossing John to rub a soothing hand up and down Jackie's back. "For Eadric, we owe it to him to be strong."

"Screw that." Jackie mutters, her lip quivering as she shoves mine and Ukaleq's hands off of her. "This isn't just something we can pretend hasn't happened, Aurora."

"You're right." I relent, my gaze softening some. "It was insensitive of me to say that."

"After everything she's done though, you have to admit she's not really worth losing sleep over."

"Really, John?" Brian prompts, just in time for Alice to sharply shush him before turning her attention back to Jackie.

"Come on," she insists, "we can get you some tea in the medics tent if you'd prefer to stay behind-"

"Screw that too." Jackie argues, momentarily tilting her chin up to blink back the tears blurring her vision. "We have a job to do, and you guys need someone to drive. I'm still in, just don't expect me to be a bundle of joy while we head out."

"Aw, don't worry, sweetheart, we wouldn't have expected that from you anyways." John teases, and yet he is the only one who actually manages to get a small smile out of Jackie before escorting her over to the rover with Brian and Carter there to join the pair while pretending not to check up on Eadric.

Alice is the first to speak once sure the boys are out of ear shot, but even then, she keeps her tone quiet, cautious. "Iolana's the one who taught Jackie to fight, help her to assert her independence and everything."

"And yet she was also the one Jackie confided in before mysteriously breaking up with Carter the next day." Ukaleq scoffs, dismissive of the pain being experienced over Iolana's betrayal. "Misery sure loves company, doesn't it?"

"Guys, I'm not really in the mood to rub any dirt into this fresh of a wound, if you know what I mean?" I insist, my wary gaze flitting to Eadric as he and the others begin to pile into the rover.

"We get it, it's still a sensitive topic." Ukaleq offers, sparing a sympathetic glance towards the rover.

"Something like that." I mutter.

"Regardless, we're here for you." Alice assures me. "And we missed you up there."

"A lot." Ukaleq adds. "We just wanted to tell you that we weren't the only ones."

My brows furrow as I consider this remark with an air of confusion. "What do you mean?"

"We just wanted to reassure you that while we don't exactly have a place to comment here given it would be pretty invasive-"

"Very invasive, actually." Alice nervously interjects, sparing a wary glance back to the rover again.

"Eadric really did miss you, Aurora, for a very long time, actually." Ukaleq concludes with a hand over her hip.

"I don't think he really ever stopped." Alice insists, offering a gentle smile my way.

Regrettably I shrink a bit under her warm expression and Ukaleq's insistent gaze, raising a hand to the back of my neck. "I know what you're trying to do." I mutter after a moment, causing Ukaleq and Alice to exchange ridiculously shocked expressions as they raise hands to their chests, feigning offense.

"Whatever could she mean?" Ukaleq gasps, causing Alice to cock her head to the side as though truly perplexed.

"Why, I have absolutely no idea!" She teases, though her giggling does cause some subtle laughter to emerge from my own chest as I shake my head towards their absurd timing.

"Guys, seriously, Eadric and I are fine, okay? But after all of this, I think you're going to have to settle with fine from now on, okay? He needs time to recover, and I need to do everything in my power to make sure he has that time, okay?"

"I'm afraid time is the one thing we don't have." Ukaleq reminds me after a moment, her sobered expression on the rover as John waves us over.

"Perhaps not." I note, dread over the task at hand causing my palms to sweat as my stomach twists into knots.

It has been awhile since I assumed a leadership position. I almost forgot the pressure it entails, knowing everyone around me will be put into immediate danger because of a plan I devised. But as Carter assumes his position in the passenger's seat while Jackie starts the rover up, Brian wrapping an arm around Alice who settles close into his side while John welcomes Ukaleq's feet in her lap from where they sit across from one another towards the back doors of the truck, I start to remember how I handled that pressure as I take a tentative seat beside Eadric who's exhausted gaze finds my own the moment I do. He takes his lower lip between his teeth as he shifts over a bit to grant me more room, and I find myself unable to do anything more than nod in acknowledgement, releasing a breath I had not even realized I had been holding until he has turned away from me to lean back and close his eyes. Here he is, thinking back to the past four years, tediously reflecting each and every moment he could have spared his sister such pain and thus protected his people, regret tearing at his chest over every opportunity he had to fix all of this that he missed while here I am, doing nothing more than dedicating my time to remembering all the details of his face.

Time, we have not, indeed.

--- A/N

Hi everyone, there has been quite a bit of time since my last update and it's safe to say so much has happened since. I hope during this difficult time featuring a lot of adjustments that everyone is staying safe, healthy (both mentally and physically), and is looking out for their friends and family.

Of course this chapter release took much longer than I planned and for that I sincerely apologize, but again, it has been a hectic time so I hope you all can respect that. There is also the small matter of my initial draft of the chapter not saving that caused quite a bit of a delay as well, but in all honesty I was glad for the accidental deletion in the end because I am much more content with this final product than I was my first attempt.

There are not many chapters pending until the conclusion of this story but the majority of the scenes to be featured are already outlined, some with the dialogue completely written out. I'm hoping that with my classes having been transitioned to online and my resulting schedule becoming much more flexible in the weeks to come, I will have more time to focus on writing and finishing up this story once and for all.

Of course, I urge you all to prioritize yourselves and your families at a time like this, but if you can find any free time you'd like to dedicate to reading, then my story as well as hundreds of others on this platform are here to offer solace. Speaking of which, I wish you all good health and safety for the challenging weeks to come and hope you're looking forward the release of the next chapter. Until then!

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerĂ  anche

115K 1.6K 56
This is so cringe idk why this has so many views... Aurora was one of the youngest to be thrown in skybox. The 100 delinquents get sent down to Earth...
211K 6.3K 72
"How you holding up?" "You know. Just stuck in here." "Just one more day and I won't have to worry about your damn sarcasm." "Be quiet, you love m...
6.4K 271 38
"and in the end she realized no matter how much history they shared, there was never going to be a future." A nuclear apocalypse sends what's left of...
1.7K 450 23
Part 2 of 'A Tale of People and Apples' trilogy. Sequel to 'The Boy with No Name'. After the tragic events across Gaiathal and within Orconia City, L...