The Unveiling Truth [TVD FanF...

By slRose18qn

Laura Gilbert is the younger sister of Elena Gilbert, the sassy and sarcastic twin. The most popular girl in... More

Pilot
The Night of the Comet
Friday Night Bites
Family Ties
You're Undead to Me
Lost Girls
The Haunted
162 Candles
History Repeating
The Turning Point
Unpleasantville
Children of the Damned
Fool Me Once
A Few Good Men
There Goes the Neighbourhood
Let the Right One In
Under Control
Miss Mystic Falls
Blood Brothers
Isobel
Founder's Day
Season 2 - The Return
Brave New World
Bad Moon Rising
Memory Lane
Kill or Be Killed
Plan B
Masquerade
Rose
Katerina
The Sacrifice
By the Light of the Moon
The Descent
Daddy Issues
Crying Wolf
The Dinner Party
The House Guest
Know Thy Enemy
The Last Dance
Klaus
The Last Day
The Sun Also Rises
As I Lay Dying

Bloodlines

5.4K 155 14
By slRose18qn

Laura's POV

As the vampire came towards me I frantically tug at my seat belt trying to get free but it was stuck. My breath was shaky and I was panicking to get away from him. He was about to get to me and I let out an ear piercing scream.

Before he could do anything he ran away from my sight and I was able to let out my breath when I was frightened by another figure. I let out another scream and looked away.

"How you doing in there?" I turned back and saw Damon's face.

"Damon." I cried out his name unintentionally. I was so glad to see him after that terrible encounter but then I wasn't. Not after what I discovered about how I look like Katherine.

"You're stuck." He said looking at me.

I don't want to see him, especially not when I was stuck like this. "Go away. I don't want to see you." I cried both from the pain from the injury but mostly from my heart break. "I can't, you'll die if I leave you like this." He said.

I hate to admit it but he was right, the blood was rushing to my head and I was starting to feel a little dizzy. "You okay?" Damon asked.

"It's my seatbelt." I told him.

"Shh Shh Shh." He calmed me down with his voice then ripped open the door. "I'm gonna get you out of here. I want you to put you hands on the roof." He instructed.

I whimpered in pain and did as I was told and put my hands on top of tiny broken glass. "Just like that. You ready?" He asked and I nodded.

"1, 2, 3." He counted and ripped my seatbelt off.

I was falling when Damon caught me in his arms and carried me out of the car. "I got you." He said. I felt warm in his embrace. "Are you okay? Can you stand? Anything broken?" He asked me carefully.

"Put me down." I demanded weakly.

He carefully set me on my feet and helped me to stand but I was too weak to stand and collapsed. Damon caught me and held me upright. He brushed back my hair and stroked my face.

"Laura, look at me. Focus. Look at me." He grabbed my chin and made me look at him.

I look into his blue eyes and saw concern and worry in them. Why do you bother to care about me when you don't look at me as Laura?

"I look like her." I said softly.

He looked at me confused. "What?

Before I could say anything else I was consumed by darkness.

~ ~ ~ Morning ~ ~ ~

I flutter my eyes open slowly and adjust to the light, the scenery in front of me was an open field and it moving quickly. I realised I was in a car and the person driving was Damon. "Morning!" He smirked when he saw me waking up.

"Urgh, where are we?" I rub my head from the soreness. "Georgia." Damon answered and I looked at him surprised.

"Georgia? No, no. No, we're not." I said frantically not believing it. "Damon, seriously, where are we?"

He chuckled. "Seriously, we're in Georgia." He said, he didn't look like he was joking at all. I groan at the pain in my head and he looked over with concern. "How are you feeling?" He asked.

"Terrible. I crashed my car." I complained, it was my favourite car my dad got me for my sixteenth. "There's no broken bones, I checked." Damon reassured me.

I start to remember l what happened to me last night and how I ended up with Damon. "My car... there was a man and I hit him!" I snapped my eyes wide after recalling everything. "Damon, I killed him but then he--- who was that?" I asked.

"That's what I would like to know." Damon said staring into the road with a dead serious look.

I turn back to the road when I realised another thing, no one knows where I was. Jenna must be worried sick. I need to call her to let her know I was alright.

"Where's my phone?" I asked after I couldn't find it in my pocket. "Okay, we need to go back. Nobody knows where I am. Pull over." I looked at Damon but he kept on driving. "I mean it, Damon. Pull over!" I said harsher.

"Why? When we can spent some time together. Starting a new life. That's what you told me." He smirked playfully.

"Yeah, but that was before..." I stopped mid sentence. I was in no mood to play with him. I don't want to see him right now, I don't even want to be in the same car as him.

"Seriously, Damon, pull over!"

"Come on, you've gotta live a little." Damon said insisting but I wasn't having any of it. Just thinking about the picture Elena sent me I fumed more irritation in me.

"Stop the car, Damon!" I yelled.

Damon was a little shocked when I yelled and pulled over to the side of the road. I quickly got out of the car but my legs were still weak and I nearly fell.

"Hey." Damon startled me when he appeared at my side in an instant. He held onto me with care and looked at me with concern.

I almost melted at his gaze when I quickly snapped out of it and shook him off. "I'm fine." I started walking back the opposite direction we were going in.

"Where do you think you're going?" Damon held me back.

"I'm going home!" I pulled my arm away from him and pushed past him. "It's going to be long walk for you then." Damon said aloud and I paused.

"Just come to Georgia with me, we already made it this far." He said hopefully.

I look at the road ahead of me and saw just a long road leading back to Mystic Falls. It was definitely a long walk but I'd rather ruin these good pair of shoes than sit in a car with him.

"No, I'm going home."

"What's so bad about going to Georgia?" He said following me when I snapped and turned to him. "What is wrong with you?" I glared at him accusingly. "I can't be in Georgia. I have to go back. No one knows where I am." I yelled.

Damon just smirked like it was nothing. "Don't worry, I called your sister letting her know where you were. She did threaten me if I did anything to you, which was cute." He said

I rolled my eyes then glared at him. "I'm not going anywhere with you."

"Why are you looking at me like that? Weren't you crying in my arms last night?" He teased not catching on that I don't want to deal with him right now.

"This is kidnapping." I protested and he sighed resting his arm on my shoulder. "That's a little melodramatic, don't you think?"

I shake my head unbelievably at him. "You're not funny." I told him and he pulled away. "You can't do this. I'm not going with you." I said firmly then turned away.

"You don't have your bracelet on might I say." He said and I paid attention to my bare wrist. The bracelet Stefan gave me was gone. "So I can easily make you come with me." He smirked.

I turned back and glared at him. I let out my breath at how unbelievably selfish he was and shook my head at him. I couldn't even stand to look at him.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Damon grabbed my chin up and made me look in his eyes. I didn't want to be touched by him and slapped his hand away.

"How can you ask me that?" I snapped and he looked at me confused. "How long did you think you could keep me in the shadows? How long did you think you and Stefan can keep this from us?" I glared at him accusingly.

"What are you talking about?" He asked.

Before I could answer I heard my phone going off in Damon's pocket and looked at him suspiciously. He averted his eyes away from me. "That's my phone." I stared at him.

He took out my phone and peeked at the screen. "It's your aunt. I'll answer it." He said and was about to answer her when I snatch out from it from him.

"Jenna?" I answered.

"Oh my god Laura! Where the hell are you?" She asked being worried about my whereabouts. "I'm sorry, Aunt Jenna. I was in an accident." I told her.

"What? Are you okay?" Jenna asked.

"I'm okay. It was a small accident. I just ruined my car and now I'm on my way back." I told her leaving out the part I crashed into someone because that person was a vampire.

"Where are you? I'm coming to get you." She said. Great, I don't have to ride in the car Damon any more. "I'm in Georgia." I told her.

"Why the hell are you Georgia?" She asked.

I glared at him and he just shrugged like he had nothing to do with it. "I'll explain it to you when you get here." I sighed.

Suddenly Damon grabbed my phone from me and spoke to Jenna. "It's okay, Jenna. I'll take her home... soon." He smirked and hung up on her.

I glare at him shocked. "What do you think you are doing?" I exclaimed.

"Taking you home." He said but I looked at him doubtful. "You're taking me home?"

"Well... eventually." He smirked.

I grit my teeth at him and look away in frustration. This can't be happening. I don't want to be here with him. "Now get in the car." He nod to the car.

"No." I said firmly standing against.

Damon's face turned dark after being repeatedly rejected by me, he forced me up against the car and trapped me with his hands on either side. He drew his face in close to mine and I turn away from him repulsed.

"I can easily drag you myself so don't tempt me." He said making me shiver in fear for the first time. I breathed nervously from his hot gaze.

"Why do I look like Katherine?" I asked quietly.

His expression fell when I mentioned her name and he didn't say a word. "Was I just a replacement for her?" I asked and he avoided my eyes. "When you said you found a reason to stay, did you really mean you could start over with Katherine through me?"

In my head I was hoping he would say it wasn't true, that I was just overthinking it, and that he has moved on. That he's finally turned himself around to start over with me. But he didn't dare to look me in the eye and turned away. My tears were streaming out like crazy and I covered face with my hands.

"Laura I..." He tried to explain but I didn't want to listen at anything he had to say.

"Don't!" I held up my finger to silence him. "I don't want to see you ever again." I declared to him with tears threatening to seep out and walked past him.

Damon grabbed my arm to stop me from taking another step. "Laura. Please just listen to me." I slapped his hand away. "Let go of me!"

"I know I couldn't keep this from you but it was a remarkable resemblance, I had to get close to you to find out why." He explained but I was hardly believing any of it.

"No!"

He held his grip on me tightly when I wailed my arms and slapped him across the face. I was shocked that I actually did that when his expression changed drastically. I cowered at his sharp glare and was startled when he grabbed my arms roughly.

"Did you honestly think that I would feel something for you?" He chuckled darkly. "You're wrong!" I felt my heart stopped and started to ache.

He never felt anything for me.

Damon stared into my eyes and compelled me. "Now get in the car."

He let me go and I was forced into the car against my will. He drove in silence leaving me consumed with the dark truth.

Damon's POV

We drove the rest of the trip in silence and Laura was still sobbing in her seat. I would occasionally glance at her hoping to find the courage to talk to her, but I always choke from looking at her red puffy eyes.

What is wrong with me!

I didn't mean what I said to her and now I was regretting I ever did. I didn't think she'd ever find out about her resemblance to Katherine. I never thought I'd find someone who looked like an exact replica to her either. It didn't make sense to me how it was possible.

I tried to summon the courage to apologise to her but she had her body turned away from me and stared out the window. So I couldn't say anything to her.

We finally arrived at the place I wanted to be at and got out of the car with Laura looking confused. "Where are we?" Laura finally spoke to me.

"Bree's Bar. A friend of mine." I told her.

"Damon, I'm not old enough they're not gonna let me in." She said not moving from the car. "Sure they will." I smirked and nod my head for her to follow me.

I went ahead and walked towards the bar, Laura was hesitant but soon follow after me. I walked in and found my girl, Bree, cleaning behind the counter. There wasn't much people at this time but when it gets dark there will be.

She stopped cleaning the moment she saw me walking in and was surprised. "No. No, it can't be." She said and I laughed.

"Damon."

She jumped over the counter and came over to me with wide arms. "My honey pie." She pulled me in and we kissed in front of Laura. She was shocked and breathed in disbelief at us shaking her head.

She's jealous. She must be thinking I was rubbing it in.

Laura's POV

He's unbelievable.

'I only care about Katherine' he said and now he was kissing another woman right in front of me. What a complete jerk!

Bree went back behind the counter and grabbed a bottle. "Listen up everybody!" She called for attention in the bar. "Here's to the man that broke my heart, crushed my soul, destroyed my life, and ruined any and all chances of happiness!"

"No kidding." I muttered to myself but Damon heard me and looked at me. I gave him a small glare and turned away. Bree poured us some shots and served them to us. "Drink up!"

Bree and Damon drank their shots quickly and I just sat there not touching my glass. Damon noticed I was hesitating and took my shot and drained it for me without Bree looking. I looked at him and he winked at me. I didn't know whether to be glad he drank my shot for me or disgust because he winked at me.

"So, how'd he rope you in?" Bree poured us another round.

"Oh, no, I'm not roped, I'm..." I denied. "Honey, if you're not roped, you're whipped. Either way, just enjoy the ride." She said so carefree.

"Okay." I said with uncertainty. "So how exactly do you two know each other?" I asked eyeing them suspiciously.

"College." Bree answered much to my surprise and I stared at Damon. "You went to college?" I said doubtful of the idea.

He just smiled. "I've been on a college campus, yes." He said.

"About twenty years ago, when I was a sweet, young freshman, I met this beautiful man, and I fell in love. And then he told me about his little secret, made me love him more. Because, you see, I had a little secret of my own that I was dying to share with somebody." Bree explained how she met Damon when she talked about her secret.

Damon leaned over and whispered to me. 'She's a witch." He said and my eyes grew wide and I stared at her.

Another witch other than Bonnie?

"Changed my world, you know." She said looking at him. "I rocked your world." He said with a smirk.

She turned to me. "He is good in the sack, isn't he?" She said.

I grew uncomfortable at the question because Damon and I only kissed, and I was so close to giving my first to time. I tried to ignore what she said but I could feel Damon staring at me. Somehow I felt violated by it and tried to avoid looking at him.

~ ~ ~

I finally got my phone back from Damon and went outside to call Jenna. She must be worried because I was with Damon. She doesn't exactly like him because of his snarky attitude.

"Hey, Jenna. Look I know, I'm sorry." I answered.

"Laura, why are you? Why haven't you come back yet?" She asked me extremely worried. I sighed irritably. "I want to, but Damon won't let me go." I said as I glared at him through the window.

Damon and Bree was discussing something so secretive they didn't want anyone to hear. I can only guess that it had something to do with Katherine since that's the only reason Damon would travel miles away from home to see a witch in Georgia.

It's always Katherine.

"Laura?"

I realised I spaced out and left Jenna talking to herself and snapped out. "Oh, um... I promise I'll be back tonight. So don't worry about me." I assured her.

"Okay, but when you girls get home you two will seriously get it." She threatened and I frowned. "Wait. Elena hasn't come home yet?" I asked.

"Nope. She's stayed over at Bonnie's last night and just went straight to school without even telling me." She said upset and clearly angry about it.

"I'll call you soon." I hung up and was about to go back inside when I get a call from Elena so I answered it. "Elena."

"Where are you?" She asked.

I sighed at my surroundings. "Apparently I'm Georgia." I answered her.

"Why are you in Georgia?" She asked confused. "There's a witch here Damon wanted to see. They're talking right now, probably finding another way to open that tomb to get Katherine out." I said gruffly.

"He hasn't done anything to you, has he?" Elena asked worried.

I scoffed that she would think he'd have the guts to do anything to me. "He wouldn't dare. I'm pissed at him right now." I glared at him through the window again. "He just brought me here for distraction. Don't worry, I'll be home tonight." I assured her not to worry.

There was a pause when I remembered Jenna said Elena hasn't come yet and thought I should ask her what was going on. "Have you spoken to Jenna?" I asked.

"No, and I'm not going to either." Elena said holding a grudge which was unlike her. "Why? What's wrong?" I asked. There was a pause on the other line making me believe there was something wrong.

"Elena?"

"Laura, there's something you need to know." She said being all mysterious and sketchy all of a sudden. I was getting a bad feeling about it. "...What?"

She took a deep breath before telling me. "... We're adopted."

My heart stopped and my face fell, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I wanted to believe that I heard her wrong and she said something else.

"What did you just say?"

"I know you don't want to believe it but it's the truth. Mom and Dad aren't really--"

"You're lying!" I said not wanting to believe it.

"I'm not. Stefan looked into it, Mom was never admitted into hospital the year we were born, there was no records of her being pregnant with us." Elena explained to me but I didn't want to believe her.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

That can't be true... It's not true.

"Laura, just come home and we'll explain everything to you." She said but I quickly hung up the phone. "That's not true. It's not true." I repeated to myself breathing heavily at the truth.

I was sitting alone on the bench with my soul taken from my body trying to consume the truth that was given to me in denial. I couldn't believe our parents lied to us all this time. I didn't want to believe that our loving parents weren't really our parents, and that Jeremy wasn't really our brother.

"How you do doing?" Damon appeared out of nowhere and stood in front of me.

I looked up with my life drained away. "Are you done?" I asked quietly hoping he got what he wanted so I could go home. No, I don't want to go home. I don't want to face the truth. I want to go somewhere far away.

He tilt his head and was concerned. "What's wrong?"

I avoid his question and his eyes and looked away. "I want to go." I told him like a sulking child. Damon sighed and sat down next to me. "Go where?" He asked.

I shrugged with no apparent destination in mind when I suggested the idea. "Anywhere but home." I told him quietly.

He grabbed my chin and made me look at him. "Hey, what's wrong?" He asked. I noticed his eyes showed worry and concern but it could all be fake.

I pull my face away. "Don't pretend to care."

"I wouldn't be out here if I didn't." Damon said and I looked at him. His eyes were serious and it melted away any hate I had for him. He grabbed my hand. "Come on. There's a bar waiting for you to get wasted in it." He said. I looked at him uncertain.

When I didn't respond he hauled me away towards the bar, I didn't bother to fight him off and let him take me.

I knew Damon must have heard our conversation and was trying not to get on my nerves. He ordered lunch for us which was good timing because I haven't eaten anything since last night.

We were sitting together eating and talking about how I could look like Katherine. We didn't talk about my adoption because it was a sensitive topic.

"Okay, let's just say that I'm descended from Katherine... does that make me half vampire?" I asked him.

Damon shake his head. "Vampires can't procreate. But we love to try." He smirked raising his brow at me. I made a face at him and munched on my food. "No, if you were related, it would mean Katherine had a child before she was turned." He explained.

"So did you think you could use me to replace?" I asked and he paused his eating. "Kinda creepy don't you think?" He said trying to dodge the question. I rolled my eyes at him.

I picked out some pickles from my burger and left it out on my plate. "Come on, what? You don't like pickles? What's wrong with you?" He said and took the pickles off my plate.

I look at him as he munch on his food quite calmly, I didn't know vampires could eat normal human food when they only drink human blood. I'm surprised he can keep any of this down. "How can you eat when you're supposed to be dead?" I asked.

"As long as I keep a healthy diet of blood in my system, my body functions pretty normally." Damon said munch on a fry. "Hmm, your body functions normally but you're head isn't." I said snarkily. He wasn't too amused with my comment and looked at me but I didn't care.

Bree came back to the bar and served Damon and beer. "Here you go."

He thanked her and took it from her. I look at him feeling thirsty for a drink myself and looked at Bree. "I'll have one too." I said and Damon looked at me surprised.

"What? Never seen a girl asking for a drink before?" I sassed at him and he looked at me amused.

"Here you go, sweetie." Bree hand me my beer and I clink the bottle with Damon's.

~ ~ ~ Nightfall ~ ~ ~

By nightfall the bar was filled with people as it was made out to be and I was getting surrounded by strangers getting wasted at the bar. Bree was filling us glass after glass but I wasn't getting drunk at all no matter how much I ingest.

"Ready... Go!"

I was the first to drain my shot and slam it on the counter to call in first. "That's three! You lose!" I gloated in Damon's face and he had a little spillage.

I pretend to pout. "Aw, do you need a bib?"

"Sorry I can't unhinge my jaw like a snake to consume alcohol." He said wiping his mouth. I scoffed at him. "Whatever. Care for another round?"

He press his mouth in a line. "You should be on the floor by now." He said slightly impressed I was still standing right now. "I am not even drunk. My tolerance is high, there is no chance of you getting me drunk." I told in a know-it-all.

"Another round Bree." I looked at her and she smirked handing me another drink when Damon grabbed it from me "Ah. We're done here." He said.

He turned me to look at him. "Let's get you home." He said and I pout at him. "Hmm, why? I'm having so much fun."

"It's time for you to go home." He grabbed my jacket and pushed me towards the door. "No, I don't want to go home." I turned to him.

"Laura, you can't run away from the truth forever. You have to face it some day." Damon said staring hard at me.

"Then why don't you take on your own advice and accept the fact you're never going to see Katherine again." I said and he became quiet. He doesn't say anything else so I grab my jacket from him and walked out the door.

I was about to call up a taxi when a hand grabbed me from the back and covered my mouth of block out my voice. Before I could react my vision became a blur and I was whisked away to another scene.

The person was clearly a vampire and he pushed me against the tank of an electrical building. "Don't move! Or I'll snap you neck!" He threatened.

I tensed up at his intense look and did as I was told. I stood on the ladder and watched him carefully as he paced back and forth a bit agitated. "What do you want with me?" I asked nervously.

"Nothing! I only want Damon Salvatore!" The man barked at me and I flinched. What trouble did Damon get into this time?

I stayed quiet when I heard someone coming from around the corner and the vampire disappeared. I look at the person coming this way and saw Damon.

"Damon, get out of here!" I yelled.

Before Damon could comprehend what was happening the vampire attacked him. He was beaten to the ground with a baseball bat and Damon groaned in pain when his bone broke. The vampire beat Damon's leg a couple times before stopping to catch his breath. He disappeared then came back with a barrel and poured the liquid all over Damon.

"No! I jumped off the ladder and ran over to him, the man showed me his vampire face and I stopped in fear.

"Who are you?" Damon croaked.

"That's perfect! You have no idea." The vampire growled.

I couldn't tell whether he was happy Damon didn't remember or pissed because he didn't remember him but either way he wanted to kill Damon. And I couldn't let that happen.

"What are you talking about? What did he do?" I asked not sure why he was hurting Damon out of nowhere. "He killed my girlfriend." He responded.

I looked down at Damon who had a guilty look.

"What did she do to you, huh? What did she do to you!" The man yelled fiercely at Damon and continued to pour more liquid on Damon.

"Nothing." Damon answered casually.

"Who's your girlfriend?!" I yelled and he threw away the barrel aside. "The girl who went to visit Stefan, and Damon killed her. Got it?" The man spat at me then kicked Damon in the face.

"Lexi was your girlfriend?" I said after realising who it was. "She told me about you, she said that you were human." He clearly wasn't.

"I was." He turned back to Damon and pulled out a match from his pocket and I start to panic. He was going to burn Damon alive, I had to do something.

I rack through my brain trying to find a way to save Damon so I stalled for time. "Lexi turned you?" I said. "You want to be with someone forever, you have to live forever." He said kicking Damon in the face again.

"She loved you!" I shouted to catch his attention. "She said that, 'When it's real you can't walk away.'"

"Well, that's a choice you're not going to have to make." He said through his gritted teeth and glared murderously at Damon.

"No, please don't hurt him." I said desperately. The vampire lit the match and held it up. "I'm doing you a favour." He said.

"No, please!" I tried to stop him.

"Lexi loved you, and she was a good person. And that means you are too. You're better than him." I said and he stood there not moving and holding onto the small match stick. "Don't do this. I'm begging you! Please." I cried desperately because I didn't want to see Damon die.

He stood there thinking of what to do and I anticipated for his next move. He picked Damon off the ground and threw him at the building. He turned to me with hurt in his eyes that he couldn't kill Damon.

"Thank you." I whispered to him gratefully.

"It wasn't for you." He said and disappeared from my sight.

Once he was gone I ran over to Damon who struggled to get up on his own. "Damon!" I helped him sit up and wiped his face from the gasoline with my sleeve.

I dabbed my palm on around his face when our eyes met and I falter at his gaze. Just seeing him look at me made me nervous and I stopped wiping his face for him.

~ ~ ~ Morning ~ ~ ~

We were driving in silence when Damon broke it with a nervous look. "I, um, I didn't get to say this yesterday but uh... thank you. " He said.

I was surprised that he actually thanked me and turned to him stunned. It took me a while to digest what he said, I never thought he knew the words 'thank you'.

"...You're welcome." I said.

There was another silence when I noticed he had something bugging him in his mind. "Why?" He asked.

I frowned at him. "What do you mean 'why'?"

"Why would you risk saving me after the horrible things I've said to you? Wouldn't it make you feel better if I was dead?" He said.

I raise my brow pretending it was a good idea. "Huh. You're right, I should have just let him killed you. You were mean to me after all." I said pretending to still be upset.

Well I wasn't pretending, I was still upset with him.

"I wouldn't say I was mean to you, I was considerately gentle." Damon smirked.

I rolled my eyes at him. "I don't know why I bothered to save you." I said sighing tirelessly as I look out the window. "You did everything for her and you were just using me even when you knew how I felt about you."

He could feel him looking at me and turned to him. "Every time I keep reminding myself you're a bad person for me but I always end up falling for every one of your charms. Now what kind of fool does that make me?" I look at him hurt.

Damon had a look of guilt and tried to apologise. "Look, Laura, I'm sorry. I didn't mean any of the things I said." He tried to explained.

"Then what do you mean?" I asked softly with my voice breaking a little. He was silent when he looked at me and I could feel my heart aching.

"I don't know." He said softly.

~ ~ ~

He drove into the driveway and parked his car, we sat in silence for a moment and neither of us said anything to the other. We would sneak a glance at each other hoping to get a word out but in the end cowered in silence.

"Thanks." I whispered and got out.

He was about to say something but ended up not speaking them. "Bye." He said and drove out of the driveway.

I stand there and watched him leave with my heart still aching at what he said.

Why can't I be enough for you, Damon?

With heavy feet I walked up to the front porch and walked in. The first thing I heard was Elena and Aunt Jenna arguing with each other by the stairs.

"Don't turn this back on me. I didn't do anything!" Jenna yelled at Elena angrily.

I was tired after last night and didn't want be involved with their fighting but I also didn't want to see them arguing. 'What's going on?" I asked.

"Okay question. Are we adopted?" Elena ignored me and asked the vital question. "Elena, don't." I tried to stop her because I didn't want to know acknowledge the truth.

"We have the right to know, Laura!" She snapped at me.

I look at Aunt Jenna's reaction and she was stunned by the question. She didn't say a word which gave us a clear answer and my heart broke.

"I trust you to tell me the truth too, Jenna." Elena said.

Jenna looked at me but I was upset to say anything and avoided her. I just want to curl up in my bed and not think about anything anymore.

"How could you not tell us? I thought we were closer than that." Elena said before going up to her room. "Elena, I didn't... they asked me not." Jenna tried to explained but Elena completely ignored her.

"I don't want to hear it!" She slammed the door to her room.

Jenna was shocked by her reaction and turned to me with tears in her eyes. She was just as hurt as we were after being lashed out at by Elena. She's never done that before.

She tried to talk to me but I wasn't up for it. "Laura, I.."

I shake my head to cut her off. "It's okay, Jenna. I don't blame you. I just blame Mom and Dad for not telling us before they died." I told her and tears escaped her eyes.

I didn't say anything else and went up to my room. I closed the door behind me and slump against it.

I look around the room, somehow it felt colder today.

When Mom and Dad were still alive the home we lived in felt warm and pleasant. But after they died the place just felt colder and empty.

But now... it feels even colder.

I slide down the door and pulled my knees up to my chin and buried my face in them. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

212K 5.3K 48
One car crash changed her life forever. Jessica Gilbert was a normal teenage girl, she and her sister were cheerleaders, they had tons of friends, an...
233K 6.1K 65
I could hear her heart race and her breath get heavy. When she looked up at me, I saw tears run down her red cheeks. She flipped over onto her back a...
212K 5K 51
[Second Book to The Unveiling Truth] For two months she was taken by the devil, she misses her home, her family, her friends. But mostly she misses h...
41.1K 696 19
Elena Gilbert falls deeply in love with Stefan Salvatore who has a brother named Damon but both brothers have a secret they are both vampires. Elena...