Setting you straight

By iamirina

After her father dies, Mikaela Jameson follows her father's last wish which is for her to run the company. Un... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15

Chapter 9

156 3 0
By iamirina

Chapter 9

I took deep breath, calming myself down. Okay, this is it. God I’ve never been nervous when it comes to him.

I opened the door and saw Taylor standing there with a big grin on his face and a box of pizza in one hand.

“I come bearing food!” he said. Well, he’s in a jolly mood, that makes one of us. I put on a smile and ushered him inside, which he didn’t need since he just walked in and felt at home, but not before kissing me on both cheeks.

He clearly has feelings for you. I heard Alex’s voice ringing in my head again. I shook my head, this is going to be difficult.

We sat side by side with the pizza in front of us. It was painfully quiet while we munched on the pizza together. Finally, he decided to break it.

“Sooo...What’s the special occasion that had you inviting me here?” he asked, amused

“I just missed my best friend is all. We haven’t been hanging out much with work and all.” I pouted. He laughed and pinched my cheek.

“Ow! That hurt!” I said, glaring at him playfully and nudging his shoulder. He just chuckled and grabbed another slice of pizza. Okay, I really need to do this now.

I turned my head to face and he did the same. Our faces were inches apart and I could feel his breath on my face. I looked at his lips and looked back at him. Before I could say or do anything, he crashed his lips on mine. I was too shocked to respond! No, no, no! This is not happening.

His lips gently moved on mine, tempting me to kiss him back. I did just that and responded, kissing him back and tangling my hand in his curly browns. Oh god, what am I doing? This is my best friend! Do I have feelings for him? Don’t even question it, Mika! I chastised myself. I pushed him back gently and leaned away. We were both panting, trying to catch our breaths.

We sat there for what felt like hours just staring wide eyed at each other.

“Oh my gosh, Mika! I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to.” He pleaded. His eyes looked so lost and confused. I looked down and played with my thumbs.

“Tay...Do you...Like me?” I asked him softly. He pulled my chin up so I could meet his eyes. Oh God, here it comes. The whole ‘I’ve always been in love with you thing’. What have I gotten myself into?!

“Mika.” He began. “I don’t like you. I love you.” He calmly stated. How can he be so calm when he’s professing his feelings to someone he loves?! I’m here hyperventilating and he’s looking at me lovingly?!

“I love you but...I’m sorry. I love you like a sister.” He said apologetically, giving me a sympathetic smile. My eyes went wide. OH MY GOD!

I was at a loss for words so I just flung myself on him and hugged him so tight.

“TAYLOR! Fuck! You had me thinking you were in love with me or something! I was about to die right here!” I exclaimed, letting him go seeing that he had a hard time breathing. He laughed and I just glared at him. “What’s so funny?”

“You are! You actually thought I was in love with you?! That’s disgusting. Why would you think that?” he asked, playfully grimacing at the thought. Yep, we were platonic. THANK GOD!

“First off, the kiss? Second, Alex was going on and on about how you CLEARLY have feelings for me. Third is, Kisha said it was a possibility since you were always so protective of me.” I said, not breaking my glare.

He continued laughing, boisterously I might add, and only slowed down when he was tearing up. He flicked my forehead, and I scowled at him.

“You are really something, Mika.” He sighed, a wide grin still on his face. “I kissed you because it was in the heat of the moment. Alex is just insecure of me because, let’s face it, I’m hotter than he is, and you’re listening to Kisha?! That girl is clueless when it comes to feelings. Even more so than you.” He bantered on without stopping for air. When he finished we were both on the floor, laughing our asses off.

“Wait, Alex told me you weren’t dating Amaira anymore. What happened there since obviously it wasn’t because of my hot piece of ass.” I asked, winking suggestively. He rolled his eyes and threw a pillow at me.

“She was too clingy and would always bounce around everywhere like a little kid.” He said, grimacing at the thought.

“Aww. Wassa matter? She not mature enough for big ‘ol Taylor?” I mocked.

“Shut up.” He said, trying to suppress his laughter. “Anyway, so Alex really called you a slut huh?” he asked in a serious tone. I just nodded and looked away. I still couldn’t believe that I almost fell for his douchebagery again.

“I’m gonna kill him.” Taylor said through clenched teeth.

“Idiot. You couldn’t kill a frog if it jumped in front of you and danced the can can.” I rolled my eyes.

He laughed again, “Frog dancing the can can?! What?” he said. We both laughed.

“So Mika, now that you’re back in the market. I have a suggestion.” He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively. I threw him a disgusted look and punched him on the arm.

“Ow! God you hit like a man. Get your mind out of the gutter. I was just going to suggest you go for Nikolai.” He said, rubbing his arm. Nikolai? Why would he say that? We were just friends.

“Tay, come on. Like I’d want to date after the horrible shit that Alex just said. Besides, Nikolai has a girlfriend.” I said, getting  2 glasses and filling them up with sodas.

“No he doesn’t.” He shrugged, then his eyes went wide after realizing what he just said.

“What?”

“I mean...he doesn’t talk about her much.” He said, nervously. I just nodded and shrugged it off.

So that’s practically how our little confrontation went that night. I was relieved to say the least to find out that he really didn’t see me in a romantic way. My thoughts were interrupted by the ringing of my phone.

“What do you want?” I asked. It was Alex. I bet on my life he’s going to apologize.

“Mika, I just want to apologize about today. I was out of line. I’m sorry.” Told you.

“Go fuck yourself, Mayer.” I said, then hung up. I let out a frustrated sigh. How could I forget why I built up that wall in the first place? It was because of assholes like him. Just then my phone rang again, I rolled my eyes and answered it.

“Look Alex. I don’t wanna hear it. I’m a slut, you happy?” I exclaimed.

“Woah there, beautiful.” It wasn’t Alex.

“Nikolai? Oh, I’m sorry. I thought you were someone else.” I said, embarrassed at my outburst.

“Clearly.” He chuckled then continued. “Trouble in paradise?” he asked

“Inquisitive aren’t we. Well, long story short, he called me a slut I told him to fuck himself.” I said proudly. I was proud to tell that douche off after what he said to me. I heard Nikolai laugh from the other end and I swear my heart stopped for a second. Oh no, not this again.

“Fiery, I like. So anyway, I called to remind you about tomorrow. It’s been changed though to lunch instead of dinner. Wear a sundress, we’ll be dining outside. Plus you always look lovely in sundresses.” He said.

“When have you ever seen me in sundresses, handsome?” I asked curiously. I’ve never worn sundresses to work.

“I may have seen a couple of photos on the internet.” He admitted shyly. Aww, he’s just adorable. Only he could get away with being shy.

“Stalker.”

“Yeah yeah. So I’ll see you tomorrow then yeah?”

“Not if I see you first.” I smirked then hung up.

With one phone call, Nikolai managed to tame my anger. He really is a good friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up feeling annoyed. I had no idea why I was feeling so irritated until someone rang the doorbell. I checked the clock and it was just a quarter past 10. Who would come by so early? That question answered itself when I opened the door revealing a dishevelled looking Alex.

“Really Alex? Early in the morning? I’d like a day to go by without being called a slut, thank you very much.” I said, rolling my eyes.

“Mika, I’m really sorry about what I said. I didn’t mean it. I don’t think you’re a slut.” He pleaded.

“Well you know what they say, angry words hold more truth.” I said, crossing my arms.

“I really am sorry, Mika. Let me prove to you that I didn’t mean it.” He pleaded again, his eyes were bloodshot. Was he up all night?

“Not this again, Alex. I gave you a shot, you blew it. Now get over it and leave me alone.” I said, banging the door closed in his face and locking it.

I ran to my bedroom and once again, screamed in my pillow. That boy is a nuisance! I swear, if he doesn’t leave me alone I’m going to have to get a restraining order from him.

After 30mins of basically screaming into my pillow and grunting like a diseased pig, I decided to get ready for lunch with the Carvers. I got in the shower and sang to Boston by Augustana. Sad song, I know. I decided on wearing my sky blue halter top sundress and some baby blue wedges to go with it. I curled my red hair and  clipped one side. I applied eye liner, mascara, and a pink matte lipstick. We were staying outside so heavy make up wasn’t required.

I checked the time and it was already 11:30. I grabbed my purse and locked the door. When I turned around, I saw Alex still slumped outside his car. When he saw me, his eyes sparkled and ran to me, flinging himself at me.

“I knew you’d change your mind!” he exclaimed in my hair. I pushed him off and he looked confused.

“I’m going out. I didn’t come out to give you another chance, dumbass.” I said, walking to my car. I heard him trailing behind me.

“Where are you going? On a date?” he asked, incredulously. I opened the car door and turned to look at him.

“As a matter of fact yes. Not that it’s any of your business.” I said smugly. Before I could get in, he yanked my arm so I stumbled out of the car. “What the fuck?!” I exclaimed. I hate being man handled!

“Just as I thought. You are a slut. Makes me wonder why I even wanted you in the first place.” He said, tightening his grip on my arm. I saw the anger in his eyes which infuriated me even more.

I punched him in the face causing him to let go of my arm and crouch on the gravel. He touched his face and found blood under his nose.

“You know, I was just wondering the same thing, baby boy.” I said sweetly. I got in the car, slammed the doors, and drove away.

I drove for 5mins then stopped at the side of the road. I screamed out all my frustrations. He’s a freakin’ psychopath! First he’s begging me to take him back and now he hurt me?! I looked at my arm and I saw bruises from where he had a tight grip on it. I winced as I touched it then tears started flooding my eyes.

I willed myself to get it together and drove to Nikolai’s parent’s address. I checked my make up before getting out so they won’t see any smudges or my eyes red. When I saw that I looked presentable, I got out of the car and put a smile on my face.

I rang the doorbell and held the bottle of champagne I brought tightly in my hands. Nikolai opened the door and smiled brightly at me. My heart fluttered again seeing that beautiful smile of his. Okay, no. Stop with the thoughts about this gorgeous boy’s smile.

“Mika, finally. I was getting bored with the company of old people.” He jokingly stated and ushered me into the house.

It was a beautiful home with one of those grand staircases with intricate designs on the rails. There was a huge chandelier on the ceiling, and it reminded me of bubbles. Paintings decorated the walls around the house, and there were beautiful vases lying around the house. It was a lovely home. It was grand but still had a cosy feel to it.

Nikolai led me out to the garden. My eyes widened at the sight of the Bermuda grass around us. Everything looked so ethereal, it was like walking into a set of one of Nicholas Sparks’ books. I saw my uncle and Mr. And Mrs. Carver on a white table at the other side of the lawn. Before I could take one step further, Nikolai held my hand.

He looked at me with concern on his face. “What happened to your arm?” he asked. I looked at it and realized that the concealer had done nothing to cover it up. I looked away and said it was nothing.

He sighed and took his jacket off, and placed it around me.

“There. Now you can avoid questions. But don’t think I’ll let you off the hook just yet.” He said, wrapping the jacket snugly around me. I gratefully smiled at him as we made our way to the table.

When we got there all three people were smiling mischievously at us. I looked at my uncle and looked at him questioningly. He winked and averted his gaze to my hand, which was still being held by Nikolai. I blushed and tore my hand away from his gently. He must have realized it to because he cleared his throat and rubbed the back of his neck shyly. He looked so shy and embarrassed that I tried to hold back my amusement.

“Mikaela, it’s so good to finally be able to spend time with you.” Mrs. Carver said, giving me a hug which I returned.

“Thank you so much for the gracious invite, Mrs. Carver.” I smiled sweetly at her. She giggled and patted my shoulder down to sit beside Nikolai.

“Please, call me Noella.” She insisted, still smiling at me.

“I brought a little something for you, Mr. Carver.” I said, handing him the bottle of champagne. He beamed at me and took it, studying the bottle.

“Jolly good taste you have, Mikaela but please call me Tony.” He said, still studying the bottle like he just won a prize.

“Of course she has good taste, Tony. She’s my niece for god’s sake.” My uncle stated, proudly and winked my way. We all laughed and continued conversing.

Nikolai’s parents were so easy to get along with and very funny. Noella was so motherly that I wish my own mother was still around. Her blonde hair, which I’m guessing Nikolai inherited, reached her hips. I was amazed at how she kept it so tamed. Tony, on the other hand, was like an over sized child. He was playful and would crack jokes most of the time. His hazel eyes sparkled with life all the time, especially when he would laugh. This made me see the definite similarities he has with Nikolai.

“...and has Nikolai been treating you well, my dear?” Noella’s voice suddenly interrupted my thoughts.

“I..I’m sorry what?” I stuttered.

“I asked if Nikolai has been treating you well.” She smiled at me.

“Oh, yes very much so. He is the perfect gentleman.” I smiled reassuringly. I looked at Nikolai and he was blushing. Aww, such a cutie.

“I don’t expect any less from my boy. We taught him well.” Tony said, glancing at his wife and taking her hand. I smiled at the gesture. Even after years of being married they were still in love with each other. I bet that kind of love stopped at their generation.

“Want a tour of the house?” Nikolai whispered. I jumped slightly, not realizing that he was inches from my ear. I nodded and we excused ourselves from the others.

We walked back to the main house and entered his living room. A gigantic flat screen tv was plastered on one wall and two shelves of books were on the other wall.

“Do you want a drink?” he offered while he poured one of his own.

“Yes please.” He nodded and handed me the glasses.

“So you want to tell me what happened to your arm?” he asked as we sat on the sofa.

“Can I not?”

“You can, but you should.”

I saw the concern in his eyes and sighed. Boy, those adorable brown eyes really know how to work its charm.

“It was Alex. He gripped my arm and I guess it was too tight. Look, before you go all alpha male on him, it doesn’t hurt and I didn’t even know it was there until you pointed it on.” I lied. He seemed to be contemplating on something for awhile before he finally nodded.

“So I remember you told me a field that you and your father always went to awhile back?” he asked, smiling at me.

“Yes, it was this beautiful field just beyond a forest. It’s so surreal when you’re there that all you want to do is just lay on the grass and smile at the sky.” I said dreamily picturing the field.

“Let’s go then.” He said, nonchalantly. My head tilted to the side, confused.

“When?” I asked

“Now.”

__________________________

So what do you guys think? EH? EH?

I bet you guys like Nikolai huh?

For all the Taylor/Mika fans. Sorry, not gonna happen. :D

x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5K 256 17
Jessy is the daughter of Drew , a man who lost all his money on poker. Most of her relatives along with her best friend and boyfriend left her alone...
111K 3.3K 20
All Caroline's (Cara's) life, she has wanted a happy ever after. She wants to marry a man, live in a nice house, and have a family. Caroline never ga...
23.5K 321 17
Idela's mother passed away, leaving her father to raise ten children alone. Idela is the oldest child, at age sixteen. Her father loses his job, and...
41.9K 704 23
**If you read this when it was out before, please read it again. I changed quite a few things in it, and hopefully made it better. Thanks :) ** Luke...