The Hellhound's Return

By Twix3780

[BOOK ONE] Something old and powerful lives in the woods surrounding the small town of Briarwood. Something t... More

Broken Spell: Part I
Broken Spell: Part II
Code Busters
Rock Solid
Whispering Voices
Legendary Catastros
Fireheart
Stranger Within, Part I
Stranger Within, Part II
Petrified Xander
The Gatekeeper, Part I
The Gatekeeper, Part II
Scaredy Cat
Long Ago
Inner Strength
The Dark Wish, Part I
Dark Wish, Part II
Dark Wish, Part III
Koragg's Trial
Heir Apparent, Part I
The Light
The Hunter
Hard Heads
Snow Prince
Light Source, Part I
Light Source, Part II
The Return
Mystic Fate, Part I
Mystic Fate, Part II

Heir Apparent, Part II

582 11 0
By Twix3780

The silence was deafening.

Kali stood, with the help of Nick, as Udonna crossed the cavern and threw her arms around her husband.

"I don't know how to explain. But it's true," said Leanbow, holding Udonna at arm's length as they pulled away. "I am alive."

"This is unbelievable," said Maddie.

"No, this is one of Koragg's tricks," said Nick, shaking his head.

Imperious scoffed from where he had landed on the steps leading to his throne. "Leanbow may have survived but not Solaris Knight," he said, still trying to maintain his victory.

"I wouldn't count Daggeron out just yet," said Kali.

Imperious glared at her. "Now, to finish what I've started!" he said, aiming his fan at the team. A blast of black magic arched towards them but was deflected by Leanbow. The beam bounced back and collided with Imperious, knocking him into his throne.

"Uthe Sasoray!" said Leanbow. He snapped his fingers and the dreary cavern disappeared.

~X~

Kali blinked as the sunlight blinded her. She ducked her head and took a few seconds to adjust to the difference, before looking back up. Nick still had his arm around her back, supporting most of her weight against him, while Xander stood wearily nearby in case he was needed.

The others, Chip, Maddie, and Vida, were crowded together nearby, each one still staring at Leanbow like they were waiting for him to say or do something. Udonna, however, hadn't left her husbands side.

"We'll be safe in this dimension for a while," said Leanbow, turning his attention to the others. "You should sit," he added to Kali. "Chimera took a lot out of you before Imperious used his magic. You'll be recovering for a little while."

Kali looked to Nick and nodded. "Is that what that thing was called?" she asked, sitting down. "Chimera? Why does it affect me so much?"

"The chimaera is made up of souls," said Leanbow. "Good, bad, and neutral. All the souls that have yet to crossover, and the ones that refuse or even can't. Imperious used a dark spell to bind the souls into a monster. As the Hellhound, you prevent souls from escaping their dimensions. The Chimera challenges that ability."

"So you're saying that I can never go near that thing?" Kali asked. "How am I supposed to fight it?"

"You don't fight it," said Leanbow, shaking his head. "You trust your teammates to do that for you."

Kali sighed and looked around at her friends. She did trust them. But how could she let them face that thing without her?

"Am I the only one confused by what's going on here?" Xander asked as Leanbow walked away.

"I'm a little mixed-up myself," Vida agreed.

"Let me get this straight," said Chip. "Leanbow was Koragg, and Koragg was Leanbow, and one of them - or both of them - just saved our lives?"

"No, no, wait a second," said Nick, shaking his head. "This is the same guy who's been trying to toast us for months. How can we trust that it's Leanbow?"

"You're right," Leanbow nodded, his arms folded as he faced the team. "I don't blame you for not trusting me."

Udonna shook her head and stepped forward. "I trust you," she said. "I know it's you. What happened?"

"My tale is so incredible I'm not sure I believe it myself," said Leanbow. He took a seat on another rock, and the others settled in around him.

"That's a great start," Kali muttered, resting her head against Nick's shoulder as she sat beside her. "How are you supposed to believe your story if you don't believe it yourself?"

Leanbow cocked his head to the side.

"Ignore her," said Xander. "She's grouchy."

Kali glared at him.

Leanbow chuckled. "It happened in the last battle of the Great War," he said.

"You closed the gates to the Underworld and we all thought you were gone forever," said Udonna.

"Yes, but that's when the story just begins," said Leanbow. "My plan had worked, and the master was sinking into the depths. But he used the last of his dark magic to take me with him, and turned me into Koragg, the knight wolf, his most obedient soldier."

Kali glanced up at Nick. "What happened to Eithne?" she asked, earning herself Leanbow's attention. "You sealed the gates, but we know she got through before they fully closed. What happened to her before or after you became Koragg?"

"After he turned me into Koragg, wiping away any memories of my previous life," said Leanbow. "He pit me against Eithne. Told me that she was there to stop him from coming back. I didn't remember her, even though she tried to fight his dark magic. But, from that moment on, I was the Master's puppet. I did everything for him."

"That doesn't answer my question," said Kali. "What happened to my mother? What did you do to her?"

Leanbow stared at Kali with wide eyes. "You're Maeve?" he asked. "Yes, I see it now. The one thing that Koragg has been trying to figure out for months - how the Hellhound exists here when she was buried deep within the pit."

"So she's dead?"

"I never said she was dead," said Leanbow, shaking his head.

Kali frowned and stared at Leanbow in confusion. How could Eithne be buried deep within the pit and still be alive?

"You said that you didn't remember anything from your previous life after you became Koragg," said Chip. "Then how do you remember now?"

Leanbow shook his head. "It must've been the virus that infected my titan mode," he said. "It began to break the memory spell."

"Then you must remember how many times you tried to destroy us, and Udonna, even your wife," said Nick. "You almost destroyed her, then stole her snow staff. Is this ringing any bells?"

"Yes," said Leanbow. He looked ashamed at his actions. "I remember it all, and I cannot tell you all how sorry I am."

"Words mean nothing," said Kali, shaking her head. "You can say you're sorry a thousand times, but it doesn't change what you did."

Nick nodded his agreement.

"Nick, Kali, no one could withstand the full power of the Master's dark magic," said Udonna.

"No offence, Udonna, but I think you're just looking for a reason to justify his actions because of his real identity," said Kali. "Just because he's Leanbow doesn't change what he did to us as Koragg."

"She's right," said Leanbow. He nodded at Kali and Nick. "You're both right. But, if there was any way you could forgive me, all of you..."

"Forgiveness isn't exactly my forte," Kali muttered.

Udonna, however, smiled and took an uneasy step towards her husband. "Of course, I -" she broke off as she collapsed.

"Udonna!" Xander exclaimed, catching the white sorceress before she could hit the floor. The others crowded around.

"You're injured," said Leanbow, grasping his wife's hands.

"I.. used the book of Dark Magic to get to the Underworld," Udonna admitted. "I'm afraid I'm as vulnerable as any human now."

"You shouldn't have done that," said Leanbow, shaking his head.

Kali tensed. "They've found us," she said, looking up as an explosion obliterated a nearby mountain top.

~X~

"I'm sending you back to Root core," said Leanbow, looking down at his wife.

"Oh, no. No, I don't want to lose you again," said Udonna, shaking her head.

Leanbow pressed a kiss to her forehead. "You're in no condition to fight," he said.

"For once, we agree," said Nick. "Send her." He turned back to Kali and held out his hand, pulling her from the rock and under his arm again. "Stay close," he whispered.

"Like I have a choice," Kali replied.

As Udonna disappeared the skies above turned black and storm clouds rolled in from every direction. Kali sucked in a breath as she felt the air in her body turned to ice, and she bit back a groan, burying her head into Nick's shoulder.

"There you are," Imperious laughed as he arrived, accompanied by Necrolai and Chimera.

Leanbow growled and turned to face the trio.

"Get them, Chimera!" Imperious ordered.

"My pleasure!" Chimaera roared.

"Prepare yourselves!" Leanbow warned. He clenched his fists and then reeled back, clutching his head and screaming in pain. He stumbled away from the team and his ancient mystic armour returned.

Nick pushed Kali behind him and reached for his Morpher. "Kali, stay back!" he warned her. "The rest of you are with me. Let's do it!"

"Magical Source, Mystic Force!"

Kali watched as her friends morphed and raced off to face the Chimera. She watched as they were each thrown around like rag dolls, and hated herself more and more for not being able to help. She had never felt like a burden, but right now she was the biggest burden in History.

As her friends dealt with Chimera, Necrolai wandered over to where Leanbow lay panting. "I always knew you couldn't be trusted," she said, gripping his face and forcing him to look at her.

Imperious laughed.

"Come! You have an appointment with the Master!"

Necrolai swept her cloak around herself and prepared to return to the Underworld, only to stop as a black ball of energy collided with her wing. She snarled and turned to see Kali standing nearby.

"Ha! Look at you," said Necrolai, mockingly. "I could swat you like a bug. Why don't you just be a good little ranger and sit this one out?"

Kali shook her head and tried to focus on getting her bearings. "I may not be able to fight Chimera," she said. "But I should have enough energy to fight you. You let him go! I'm more valuable."

Necrolai hesitated and glanced at Imperious. Kali had a point. Delivering the Hellhound to the Master was surely better than Leanbow; but then, maybe she could deliver both?

"Necrolai, stop wasting time," said Imperious. "I'll deal with the Hellhound."

Kali stared at Necrolai. "Best run along, little vampire," she mocked. "Wouldn't want to upset the hand that feeds you."

The Queen bared her fangs and hissed. She then re-tightened her hold on Leanbow and disappeared with him.

"We don't need him anyway!" said Nick, reaching for his magi staff and launching himself at the Chimera. The creature deflected and blasted Nick through the air.

Kali spun around, wobbled slightly and then tore across the quarry, landing on her knees beside her friend. "Nick," she panted, grabbing at his arm and helping him stand.

"I told you to stay back," Nick coughed.

"When do I ever listen?" Kali asked.

Chimaera screeched and surged towards the team. He was less than a foot away when a beam of yellow slammed into him, knocking him backwards into a mountain.

The team paused and turned in the direction that the blast had come from. A portal burst open and Daggeron rode into the dimension on the back of a pure white unicorn.

"But I destroyed you!" Imperious yelled.

"I told you not to count him out just yet," said Kali. She turned towards the Knight.

"Rangers, the Unicorn's name is Bright Star," said Daggeron, dismounting. "She can travel through all dimensions. If you run into trouble, she can combine with your Megazord. Now hurry!"

As Daggeron headed towards Imperious the others crowded around Bright Star. Kali glanced over her shoulder at the Chimera monster and knew what she had to do. "Everyone hold on," she said, moving Nick closer to the reigns.

The horn on Bright Star's head shone and a ripple of golden energy run across her flank. She glowed brightly, and at the last second, just before she pulled the team into another dimension, Kali released Nick.

"Kali -"

"You won't getaway! Chimaera!" Imperious ordered.

Kali watched as Chimera disappeared, too. She sighed in relief, as the second he did so, she felt her energy flooding back along with the clear blue skies.

"What a pest you are!" Imperious said, and Kali turned to see he was speaking to Daggeron.

"And you're a disgrace to Leanbow's memory and his teachings," Daggeron countered.

"Fine! If you're still Leanbow's good little student, then let's settle things his way," said Imperious. "I challenge you to a bound battle, but this time, it won't be training. It will be the real thing!"

Pushing herself to her feet, Kali approached the two knights. "Challenge accepted," she said.

"Kali, what are you still doing here?" Daggeron asked, turning quickly to her. "You should've gone with the others."

Kali shook her head. "I can't be with them when the Chimera is still around," she said. "At least here, I can help." She turned back to Imperious. "You challenged Daggeron, but how about a little skin in the game? Fight me, and if you win, you get to keep me."

"Kali, no," said Daggeron, catching her shoulder and forcing her to look at him. "You can't trust him. He'll find a way to cheat."

"I'm counting on that," said Kali. She shrugged out of Daggeron's grasp and turned back to Imperious. "What do you say, father? Are you in?"

Imperious scoffed. "Welcome home, Hellhound."

~X~

Kali looked around the new dimension. It was like being in a box with no windows or doors, and no lights or sunlight. Across from her stood Imperioius, smirking behind his fan whilst Daggeron stood to the left of her with Jenji.

"Now, does anyone need me to go over the rules?" Jenji asked, looking between the pair. "I'll tell you them anyway, just to be sure. Swords only, no other weapons or magic."

"Agreed," Kali nodded.

"But of course," Imperious accepted.

Jenji nodded. "Goody. Then, combatants, prepare for battle," he said, snapping his fingers.

"Magical Source, Mystic Force!" Kali said.

Imperious smirked. "Ancient Mystic Mode," he said, transforming into his old armour.

Kali looked down as a leather cuff snapped itself around her wrist and a long thick rope bound her to a second cuff around Imperious' wrist.

"In this corner, the loyal but aggressive Kali, a.k.a. Meave," said Jenji, pointing to his left. "And in this corner, the traitor known as Calindor, A.K.A. Imperious," he pointed to his right. "Let the bound battle begin!"

Imperious pulled the chain taught and Kali allowed herself to stumble forward; she swung her sword up but Imperious blocked it with a downward strike. Kali growled and kicked at Imperious' shin, but he jumped back and pulled her up using her wrist.

"Oh, this is a bound battle at it's best!" Jenji commented from the sidelines as the father and daughter fought, meanwhile, Daggeron was watching for any chances that Imperious would go back on his word. He knew the man better than most people, even Imperious himself, and he knew that at some point, he would resort to magic.

Kali ducked back as Imperious' sword narrowly missed her throat. She wrenched her wrist back, twisting it to the left and lynching the chain around Imperious' blade.

"Sneaky!" Imperious complimented. "But, it's not enough!" He pulled out of the restraint and leapt at Kali. She deflected by rolling aside, and then pushing off from the ground, aiming a well-placed kick to her father's chest.

Imperious stumbled in surprise.

Kali took a split second to catch her breath. "I just want to know one thing," she said. "After everything you went through. Why switch sides? You had everything you could've ever wanted - a fiance, a daughter - and you threw it all away. Why?"

"Because I wanted more," said Imperious. "More power. More magic. More... everything."

"Look what your greed did to you," said Kali. "Turned you into something unrecognisable. Turned you into a monster."

"You're a monster to somebody, Hellhound," said Imperious, yanking her forward again. He swung his sword at her but Kali flipped over his head and landed behind him. Before Imperious even had the chance to turn to face her, Kali unclenched her fist and threw an energy ball at her father.

Daggeron and Jenji gasped.

Imperious grunted and then turned to face his daughter. "You cheated!" he accused.

"Like you weren't thinking of doing the same!" Kali snapped. "You're just pissed that I beat you to the punch."

"Maybe we're more alike than imagined, Hellhound," said Imperious', standing.

Kali shrugged and pointed her sword at him. "Maybe," she said. "But I doubt it. I made a promise to my friends that if I couldn't save them, then I would do everything within my power to stop them. This just falls under that category."

The chain binding the pair shattered and Imperious dropped his sword with a clatter. A flicker of fear crossed his face as he looked up at Kali. "What did you do?" he asked, falling to his knees as the pain started to cripple his body.

"I didn't just use any magic against you, Imperious," said Kali, standing over him. "It's the same magic you used against me in the Underworld - the Master's Magic. How do you like it? Being rendered useless! Unable to move... unable to scream... as your body slowly burns from the inside."

Daggeron crossed the room and wound his hand around Kali's wrist. "Your crossing territories," he warned her in a low voice. "You did it. You won. You don't want to become like him."

Kali blinked and slowly raised her gaze to meet Daggeron's. She took a deep breath and turned back to Imperious', releasing the hold she had on him and taking a deep breath before stepping back. "It's over, Imperious!" she said. "Your done."

"NO!" Imperious' yelled, shooting to his feet. He grabbed his sword, shoved Daggeron aside, and thrust his blade at Kali.

Ducking to the right, Kali wound her arm over Imperious' and twisted back to the left, driving his own sword into his chest. Imperious spluttered and stumbled before falling to his knees. He choked and looked up at Kali.

"You... defeated me..." Imperious choked. "How?"

"Because, while I did cheat, I'm not like you," said Kali. "I don't crave power, and I know when to accept defeat."

"You may think this is over, Hellhound, but I can assure you that it's only just begun," said Imperious. He then stiffened and turned to stone, before disintegrating into dust.

Kali sighed and Daggeron reached across to squeeze her shoulder.

~X~

Nick sighed with relief as he entered Root core later that afternoon to find Kali sitting at the round table, reading. He raced to her side and pulled her into a hug before pushing her away and glaring at her.

"I know you're mad," said Kali. "But before you shout at me, can I just mention that I destroyed Imperious?"

"You did?" Xander asked. "How? When? Where?"

Kali laughed and turned to her friends. "After you left with Bright Star," she said. "Imperious challenged Daggeron to a bound battle and I accepted. I upped the stakes by telling him that if he won then he would get to keep me."

"That was dangerous, Kali," said Daggeron, walking back into Root core. "You're very lucky."

"I didn't put skin in the game if I didn't think I could beat him," said Kali. "I may be reckless at times, but I'm not stupid. I knew I could beat him."

"Did you always plan on cheating?"

Kali shrugged. "I just did to Imperious what he was planning to do to me," she said. "You knew that he would eventually cheat, so why are you so pissed that I did the same?"

"Bound battles are about fighting with honour," said Daggeron.

"Like Imperious cared about fighting with honour."

"You didn't have to be just like him."

"I did what I had to do. I'm not going to lose sleep over it."

Daggeron scoffed and shook his head.

Meanwhile, the others shared similar looks and turned towards the exit.

"Where are you guys going?" Kali asked them.

"Work. You coming?" Xander asked he sounded hopeful.

Kali paused and glanced back at Nick. "I'll catch up," she said, waving Xander away. She turned and wandered over to where Nick was sitting on the steps and sat beside him. "I'm sorry," she apologised. "I should've told you what I was planning. But, I knew if I did then you wouldn't let me go."

Nick nodded and reached for her hand, squeezing it. "I'm just glad you're alive," he said.

"Same. So, what did I miss?" Kali asked.

Nick let out a laugh and then started the long story of telling her what had happened after Bright Star had got them out.

Daggeron watched the pair of them.

"Then Leanbow drove the Master back into the depths and released our Legend powers back to the surface," said Nick. "Udonna is beside herself. It could take a while for her to come back from all this."

Kali nodded in understanding. She couldn't begin to imagine how Udonna was feeling. To find and lose her husband all in the same day. "Can we back up for a second?" she asked, turning to face her best friend. "You're Bowen? The same Bowen that I was whisked away with as a kid and supposedly separated from?"

"Supposedly, yeah," said Nick.

"How are you feeling about all this?"

Nick shrugged and let out a heavy sigh. "Better than can be expected, I guess," he said.

"How about the whole 'my father tried to destroy me' thing?"

"We're both in the same boat on that one."

Kali smiled and nudged him. "Hey, I destroyed my father," she said. "You've got miles to go before you can catch up."

Nick cracked a grin.

"Imperious may be gone, but his departure is just the beginning of our journey," said Daggeron, interrupting.

"I thought he was the middle of our journey?" Kali asked. "Morticon was the beginning, remember?"

"Morticon and Imperious were the foundations of what is to come," said Daggeron. "Don't get complacent."

Kali rolled her eyes and leaned back, propping herself up on her elbows as Daggeron rested against the round table, watching the pair of them intently.

"Your father said many times -" Daggeron continued, pointing at Nick.

"Whoa, wait, wait," Nick interrupted, shaking his head. "You're telling me this like I care about him. He may have been my father, but I just spent the last few months stopping him from destroying the world."

"And the world would have been destroyed if he hadn't..." Daggeron retorted, angrily.

Nick opened his mouth to respond when the doors leading to the library opened and Udonna walked in, carrying a book in her hands.

"That's what I like to see - everyone happy and enjoying the day," said Udonna. "But, Bowen, didn't I ask you to clean this place up?"

Kali snorted.

"This is just great," said Nick, chuckling. "I finally find my real mom, and two seconds later, I'm getting chores."

"Yes you are. I want this place cleaned before your father comes home," said Udonna, smiling.

Kali's laughter faded and she bit her lip. "That's my cue to head back to Briarwood," she said, getting up from her seat and heading for the door.

"I think I'll go feed Fireheart," Daggeron added, following her out.

As the door closed behind the pair of them, sealing Nick and Udonna inside, Daggeron caught Kali's wrist and turned her to face him.

Kali sighed. "I don't need another lecture on how I was my father's daughter today," she said. "I know you're disappointed in me. But how much more disappointed, or worried, would you had been if I had lost? If he had got his hands on the Hellhound?"

"You're right, I am disappointed," said Daggeron, nodding. "But I am also worried. You destroyed your father, Kali, and you almost crossed a line on how you did it. Do you realise what you could've done if I hadn't have stopped you, today?"

Kali lowered her gaze and shook her head.

"A Hellhound is neither good nor evil," said Daggeron, leaning in closer and lowering his voice. "It is the host that chooses its destiny. There is something that Udonna hasn't told you, and I think it's because she's afraid. But the Eve of the Great Battle was the day you were born."

Kali looked up with wide eyes.

"'The day the Hellhound bares its teeth, is the day that the Underworld will be unleashed' an oracle uttered those words on the Eve of the Great Battle, and then, two hours later, you were born," Daggeron explained. "Both you and Nick are powerful individuals. But to which side, for you, remains to be seen."

Kali licked her lips and swallowed.

"The line between Good and Evil is thin," Daggeron added, dropping her wrist. "Be careful how you cross it." He walked away, leaving her alone in the corridor.

I know the world is a scary place right now! But be safe, and look out for one another.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

664 15 14
[Book Ten] [Sequel to Phase One of the Hellhound Universe] Ten-years after losing the Ninja Steel, Galavanx returns to Earth seeking the very thing t...
760 30 5
[Book Seven] [Sequel to the Hellhound's Return, the Hellhound's Secret, Power Outage, and Coveted Operation] The duty of a Hellhound was to prevent s...
394K 12K 51
UNEDITED/poorly written when I was younger (needs severe editing) "Becky, I'm scared! Someone's following me and I don't think I can make it home! Pl...
4.4K 200 30
[Book Five] [Sequel to the Hellhound's Return, the Hellhound's Secret, Power Outage, and Coveted Operation] After sensing a shift in the balance betw...