Mirage

By ummhiya

"You never needed me on this team, not from the start. The Flash is what this city needs, and I can never be... More

HELLO THERE
PROLOGUE
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
CHAPTER THIRTY
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE
CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO
CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE
PART TWO
CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR
CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE
CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX
CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE
CHAPTER FORTY
CHAPTER FORTY-ONE
CHAPTER FORTY-THREE
CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR
CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE
CHAPTER FORTY-SIX
CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER FORTY-NINE
CHAPTER FIFTY
CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE
CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO
CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE
CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR
CHAPTER FIFTY-FIVE
CHAPTER FIFTY-SIX
CHAPTER FIFTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER FIFTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER FIFTY-NINE
CHAPTER SIXTY
CHAPTER SIXTY-ONE
CHAPTER SIXTY-TWO
CHAPTER SIXTY-THREE
CHAPTER SIXTY-FOUR
EPILOGUE

CHAPTER FORTY-TWO

432 11 0
By ummhiya

Alex had a weird feeling in her gut ever since they brought Wally back to STAR labs in his cocoon. She wasn't sure if it was herself worrying about him or if it was something different. Either way, she kept silent about it and continued on with her night trying to figure it out.

Barry seemed to be okay after his little run in with Savitar. Caitlin and Cisco used their powers to save him and she couldn't be more relieved about it. He made it back safe and sound just like she had. A minute later and he could have been dead. The moment that she hugged Caitlin was when her weird feeling started.

Upon realizing that there was nothing that the team could do for Wally, Joe headed back to CCPD to see if there was anything that he could do there. Iris, Alex, and Barry stayed with Wally to make sure that if something were to happen that they would be there to see it through. Barry wasn't sure who was more worried: Iris or Alex.

Although Alex had known him for so much longer, Iris was his blood family. Both the women cared for him and that was all that mattered. It wasn't some competition to see who would sacrifice more for Wally and they knew it. Both of them had important, yet separate roles in his life and they knew it.

Alex was zoned out in thought when Barry shook her shoulder to snap out of it. He had called her name several times to get her attention but she hadn't heard any of them. She jumped at his touch but relaxed upon realizing that it was just him and that there was no threat in the room.

Barry asked if she was okay. "Yeah, fine. Just worried about this Savitar guy," Alex lied. Though she was worried about stopping him, she was more concerned about why she was feeling so anxious. The odd feeling that consumed her was getting worse and it was driving her nuts. She had no idea where it was coming from.

She told him and Iris that she was going to stretch her legs. Just as she reached the hallway she noticed that Caitlin was looking awfully suspicious. Alex followed her down the hall, assuming that the brunette hadn't noticed her stalking behind. She was confused as she was led down to the pipeline.

Caitlin had no reason to go down there and it confused her even more when she stopped in front of an empty cell. Alex finally made herself known and stepped out from the shadows. Caitlin had her back faced towards her but she knew that Alex was standing there, she had known the whole time that she was following her.

As soon as she noticed she was being followed, her course had been changed from exiting the building to the basement. She couldn't have Alex following her to where she was going, she would only try to stop her. When Caitlin finally turned around to face her, her warm brown eyes had turned frosty white.

"Cait..." Alex trailed off, immediately noticing the change of her eye color. It was the same as Killer Frost on Earth-2. Cisco's vibe was coming true, she was turning into her own worst nightmare. Helping Barry fight off Savitar must have been the finally turning point for her.

"You can't stop me, Alex," Caitlin told her. Alexandra finally realized why she had been feeling funny all evening, it was because of the doctor. She was succumbing to the life of Killer Frost and Alex was feeling the turmoil within her. Caitlin must have been feeling very emotional if she was to feel it without shifting into her.

Truth be told, Alex could easily stop Caitlin. It was just simply a matter of she didn't want to hurt her friend. Instead, she raised her arms in defense. Frost emitted from Caitlin's finger tips and the two girls circled around each other so that Caitlin was near the door while Alex was closest to the cell.

"What are you doing, Caitlin? This isn't you," Alex tried to talk to her.

"I need to get rid of these powers," Caitlin informed her. Alex slowly lowered her arms to her sides, hoping that her actions would go unnoticed by the doctor. "You don't understand what having these powers could lead to."

"Out of everyone in this building I am the only one that would understand," Alex shook her head. "You know what my future held because of my abilities, you know the kind of person that I was supposed to turn into. I changed my future, and so can you. Nothing is set in stone, we create the path we want."

Alex reached for her phone in her back pocket. She hoped that Caitlin would keep looking at her face rather than her hands. Unfortunately for her, she had been mistaken. The moment that Caitlin realized that she was going for her phone, her hands frosted up once more.

With as much speed as she could muster, she tried to reach her phone so that she could press the emergency button for Barry to come. Caitlin, was just a little too quick to notice what she was trying to do, and shot her with an ice cold blast. Alex gasped as the wind was knocked out of her upon hitting the wall.

She tried to get up one more time but this time, she was hit with ice. Alex fell in and out of consciousness as the cell door locked her in and Caitlin walked away.

><

Alex woke up with a killer headache. She groaned at the bright lights that shone in her eyes and the alarm that was going off in the cortex. With a lot of complaining she hauled herself out of the medical bed, remembering what had happened to her the moment that she had gotten knocked out.

Caitlin had went full Killer Frost mode and caught her off guard enough to take her down. Someone must have realized where she was for her to be back in the med bay of the lab.

The noise to the alarm stopped but the pain in her head was still there. Alex rubbed the back of her skull as she went to go figure out what the hell was going on. Barry and Iris were hunched over one of the monitors looking at a map of Central City, one area was lit up in particular.

"What the hell happened?" Alex asked, catching both of their attentions. Barry looked relieved to see that she was up again. Caitlin had gotten a pretty good hit on her. It took a while to figure out where she had gone, Barry had done a sweep of the building the moment that Caitlin disappeared.

He found her knocked out in the cell, cold and shivering. It didn't take him long to piece two and two together to see that Caitlin had done it too her just before she had gone to CCPD to question one of Alchemy's acolytes. Alex must have figured out what she was up to before she had left.

She was brought upstairs. Barry used his powers to the best of his abilities to warm her up but there was nothing else that he could do until she woke up.

Iris explained to Alex what had happened since she had been knocked out. Caitlin kidnapped Julian to help her figure out where the acolytes where. Barry tried to stop her but was stabbed with an icicle. However, Iris left out that part after the look that he had given her. Alex didn't need to worry about him.

He couldn't run until he was healed which meant that Cisco, Joe, and HR had stationed themselves at the two locations they found. Barry and Iris stayed behind to watch out for Wally. However, as soon as she had awoken, an alarm had gone off letting them know that it was Cisco's location that Caitlin had gone to.

Alex was quick to switch into her suit to get ready to head out and help him but Barry ordered her to stay behind. Though she was ready to protest his choice, he had been gone before she could. Alex looked at Iris, wondering what was going on with him but she seemed to be hiding something too.

Her eyes narrowed at her friend and she took a step closer. "Caitlin stabbed Barry and he's still not healed yet," Iris caved. "You have to go help them."

Alex's jaw clenched. "I'm gonna kill him," She muttered as she slung her goggled back on her face. "Or he's going to be the death of me." There was a second breeze in the room and she was gone. While reaching the scene, she saw that Cisco was hiding behind one of the trees and both Barry and Caitlin were laying on the ground.

Caitlin seemed to notice that she showed up, along with Cisco who had joined her in the street. The doctor rolled herself on top of Barry and kissed him right on the lips. Alex was too shocked by what was happening to do anything. This had to be Killer Frost making her do these things, Caitlin would never.

Cisco came to the rescue and used his powers to blast her off of him. She slammed into the nearest car and was knocked out cold. Alex's fists clenched at her sides once more and this time pure anger and jealousy ran through her. Cisco noticed her attitude change, and unfortunately was well aware of it's outcome.

"I'm gonna kill her," Alex snarled. She had the bad habit of being extremely jealous, even though she knew that there was no need for her to be. Cisco held her back as she was ready to go after her. He knew that things wouldn't end well if Alex was the one that was going to stop her, someone was going to get hurt.

"That wasn't Caitlin and you know it," Cisco warned her. "She would never do that, she knows what Barry means to you. It's just Killer Frost trying to get under your skin."

"Yeah well, it worked," Alex muttered. She pushed past Cisco's hold and knelt down beside her boyfriend. "I guess the tables have turned." She ripped her gloves off and placed them on his cold cheeks. Using her powers, she vibrated her hands fast enough to warm him up back to normal.

Cisco and Alex carried a knocked out Caitlin back to the STAR Labs van while Barry tried to finish warming himself back up. He was right, this wasn't Caitlin and she knew that she couldn't be mad at her for what she had done. She wasn't in control of herself, but that still didn't make her any less angry.

The three of them drove in silence back to the lab. Cisco silently glared at Barry leaving Alex to wonder why he was mad yet again. They had just gotten over their last hurdle and she really didn't wish to see Cisco mad once again. She would have to ask about it later.

As soon as they got back to the lab, Caitlin was put into one of the cells in the pipeline. Iris, Joe, and HR had joined the three down there while they waited for her to wake up. Alex stood next to Barry, who still seemed to be shivering from his ice kiss. He also could tell that she was still fuming mad.

They stood there in silence. Alex wondered what had happened to the team while she had been knocked out in such a short period of time. There wasn't enough time to figure it out earlier, Barry had a lot of explaining to do once their never ending night was over.

Caitlin woke up with her icy eyes still. The one white streak of hair was still in her brown hair and the team instantly knew that she still wasn't herself. As soon as she spoke, she confirmed it as well. Her cold voice put a chill up everyone's spine.

"Guess I just needed a little sleep. Thank's guys, I'm feeling much better. It's okay, you can let me out now. I promise that I'm not going to hurt anybody," She faked. No one believed her act. "Hmm. Guess you're all smarter than I thought. You know that was some blast there, Vibe boy, it kinda hurt."

Cisco told her that he didn't want to hurt her. He had a sad look on his face and she was sure that it wasn't just from Caitlin starting to turn to the dark side. "Alchemy can't help you. But, we can. I promise," Barry tried to reason with her.

"Oh like you promised Eddie? And like you promised Ronnie? You know, for a hero, Flash, you sure let a lot of people around you die," Caitlin taunted. She knew his weaknesses and how to exploit them. Even if it was Killer Frost controlling her mind, she still knew everything about Caitlin Snow.

"This isn't you talking, it's the powers. They're messing with your mind. You're sick."

"I'm broken, Barry," Caitlin snapped. "But why do you care? Cause, you've got Alex, you got your happy ending. Everyone else be damned. So, I'll tell you what. You guys let me go and I will leave you to your sad and miserable lives. You did this to me."

Alex had enough of hearing her talk. She closed the wall between her and the rest of them so that they no longer had to hear her. Joe and HR stalked off with Iris not far behind. Alex asked Cisco if he had any idea how they could reverse what had been done to her. They needed to get her back before it was too late.

"Like Caitlin said: sometimes when things get broken, they can't be fixed," Cisco looked at Barry as he spoke. He too left the pipeline, along with leaving Alex more confused than ever about why he was mad at Barry again. She looked over at her boyfriend for an explanation about what was going on.

Barry explained to her that Caitlin revealed the truth about the other timeline that they were in before Flashpoint. Cisco's brother, Dante, was still alive. He was healthy and well and if it wasn't for him changing everything, he still would be. That was why Cisco was mad, he would still have his brother if he didn't change anything.

"I should have just stayed with you that night," Barry sighed, running a hand down his face. He sat down on the ledge of the ramp. Alex knew what he was talking about and sat down next to him. He was feeling guilty for creating Flashpoint in the first place, after all of the ramifications that it caused it was hard not to.

"You can't take all that blame," she grabbed his hand. "I was the one who told you to go. You were hurting, and wanted to do anything for you to not feel that pain anymore. But that's just the same and Caitlin and Cisco right now, we're all willing to do anything to make the pain stop. It's whats engraved into us a kids. You can't take this all on yourself."

"Why not?" Barry questioned her. Though he wanted his friends to not be mad at him, he was also a glutton for punishment. Time and time again he felt as if he needed to suffer for everything that he had done wrong in life. Though Alex hated that he was like that, she was the exact same.

"Do you remember that time that I told you about my father getting mad at me because I took his truck and dented it?" Alex asked. Barry nodded his head, confused. "Well, the reason that I took it was because Dylan wanted to go see Coastal City, which was where he wanted to go to school.

"I had just gotten my license, and I'll admit that I wasn't the best driver back then - shocking I know," Alex joked. "Dad wasn't feeling well so I decided that I would take him instead. The way there was fine, we were joking around having fun, but it wasn't until we reached the city that I realized that it was way bigger than Central City.

"I got nervous driving around but didn't tell Dylan that. It wasn't until we reached the university that we had both been distracted enough to run right into a pole. We were fine, and so was everyone else but there was a huge dent in the fender and I had no idea how I was going to hide it from dad.

"Dylan and I drove back to the city and I took the full blame for what had happened - of course I had to right? I was the one driving, I was the one that got distracted, I was the one that crashed. It was all my fault and dad knew it. He was furious at me, we were low on money anyways and didn't have that kind of cash laying around."

"And? What's the point to all of that?" Barry asked. He already felt terrible for what he had done, he didn't need a story from Alex to make him feel even worse about himself.

"The point is, Barry, is that it was Dylan that stepped up to the plate as soon as we walked into the house. He had taken the blame for what I had done, even though we both knew that it was my hands on the wheel. Dylan knew that he was the reason that we went there that day. He was the reason that we took the truck at all.

"What I'm trying to say, is that it was me who told you to go, but even if you hadn't, who's to say that stuff wouldn't have happened another day anyways? We don't know if Caitlin was already infected and we sure as hell didn't know if Dante would die in a car crash anyways. Life is full of what-ifs, but you can't let that consume you."

"You did this thing, where it was your voice talking but Joe's words coming out of your mouth," Barry joked to her. He understood where she was coming from and understood the meaning behind her story which had made him feel way better about everything that was happening in his life at the moment.

"Yeah, yeah," Alex shook him off. He kissed her lips, thankful that she was there to get him through tough times like those. "What would I do without you, Barry Allen?"

"I think that it should be me asking you that," he chuckled. The lights around them flickered which never meant anything good. "Wally. Come on."

The two speedster raced up to the cortex to see what was going on. They were shocked to see that Joe had brought him there and was trying to cut him out of the shell. They didn't know what was going to happen to him if they let him out early and by forcing him out, they were taking a huge risk.

Barry yelled for his adoptive father to stop what he was doing but it was no use, what was done, was done. There was a huge burst of energy that emitted from the cast breaking open and the two speedster did their best to get everyone out of the way of harm. They all still got blown back but everyone was okay.

Wally West was standing in the middle of the room but this time he was vibrating at only the rate a speedster could do. In other words, he had gotten the powers that he so wanted but at what cost? They had no idea what was happening to him or if he was even aware of himself.

As soon as Joe called out his son's name, Wally sped out of the room. They had no idea how to find him or if he would even be okay. Standing there, he didn't seem to be himself. He was out of it and they had no idea if any of them could fix that. Joe could have sealed the fate of his son without even knowing it.

Alex was on her knees in front of the mess that the cocoon had created. Joe was telling Barry that he needed to go talk to Caitlin, they need the expertise of a biochemist to help figure out what had happened to him when he got out of it. Alex was just worried about him altogether.

Just as Barry was about to run down to the cell that Caitlin was in, Alex stopped him. She decided that she was going to go get the help they needed, because when it came down to it, Barry wouldn't do what needed to be done. When it came down to it, Wally was the person that she cared about more.

Alex opened the door that led to the cell. Caitlin was leaning against the far wall with her arms crossed over her chest. She was hoping that the doctor would have been back to normal and things would have gone a lot easier but that wasn't the case.

"We need your help, Caitlin. Wally, he's out of the cocoon but his biochemistry is all out of whack. He went AWOL, kinda like you," Alex mimicked her position and crossed her own arms. Caitlin shrugged, wondering why she should care. "When we find him, he's gonna need your help."

"We both know that you know everything that I know," Caitlin stepped towards her. "You don't need me. So why are you here? Trying to talk some sense into me? Get a little revenge for kissing your boyfriend." Frost noticed instantly that she got angry at that comment. "Oh, still a little bothered by that, huh?"

"I came to let you go," Alex reluctantly told her. She needed to control her anger, this wasn't Caitlin. The glass that separated them lifted and Caitlin was free to go.

"For someone so smart, that was awfully dumb," Caitlin walked out of the cell. It was obvious that Alex was trying to hold back trying to retaliate from her earlier comments. "No fighting? No anger? Where's that Alex that I love to see, the Alex that stops at nothing no matter how much damage is already done? Where's that Alex that nearly killed Rupture?"

Alex's said nothing. She was regretting being the one to go down to that cell. Just like Barry had been attacked earlier by her, Caitlin knew just as many of her own weaknesses. "Like I said, you're free to go. But there's one catch. You have to kill me. I'm not gonna fight you, I'm not going to succumb to your desire to see me fight but if you want to step foot out of this lab again you're going to have to kill me."

Caitlin formed a sharp icicle in her hand. Alex felt the warmth in the room deplete as soon as she did. It wasn't where she was wanting to let her plan go but it was the only thing that she could think of off the top of her head with all the anger surging though her. Caitlin was taunting her and she knew it.

The ice was raise up to her heart but there was hesitation in her eyes. "What are you waiting for, Caity? One little kill? That shouldn't be a big deal for you, right? I mean get me out of the way and the Flash is all yours, right?" Alex aggressively grabbed onto her wrist, pushing the ice closer to her own heart.

"You want to be evil, Frosty? Well, this is it, prove yourself. Killing your friends should mean nothing to you, sure as hell means nothing to me in the future, right? Start with killing me, then Cisco, Barry, everyone that you used to love because we don't matter anymore, right? But you can't because under all that cold, you're still you."

Caitlin's eyes turned back to normal the ice in her hand dropped to the floor. "Alex!" Caitlin realized what she had done to her friends and felt guilt consume her. She wrapped the taller girl in a hug, thankful that she had saved her from the misery that she had been taken under.

Everything was going to be fine. First they were going to fix Wally, then they were going to find a cure for Caitlin. Alex was just glad that her friend was back to normal, at least for the time being. There was only so much of Caitlin being a down-right bitch that she could handle in one day.

"You're gonna be just fine, Caitlin, I promise."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

136K 3.3K 55
BOOK ONE To: Barry Allen and Tori Baker Good luck on this journey ahead Sincerely, someone you will k...
48.8K 1.5K 15
"if you remember me, then i don't care if everyone else forgets." NEW LIMITS BOOK 3 [NOVELLA] THE FLASH SEASON 3 (quote by haruki murakami)
143K 3.6K 116
"What made you change your mind?" "I just realized I have to stop thinking about the future and live in the moment." Olivia Theresa Wells. Former me...
5.5M 204K 100
[based on season one of The Flash] || book one of three || At the time Central City's own Barry Allen discovers he has the ability to run faster than...