L.O.V.E.

By denissebloom04

100 years ago, amidst WW3's nuclear bombing, a deadly virus was released in the atmosphere and nearly wiping... More

Chapter 1 - Nerissa
Chapter 2 - Roone
Chapter 3 - Nerissa
Chapter 4 - Roone
Chapter 5 - Nerissa
Chapter 6 - Roone
Chapter 7 - Nerissa
Chapter 8 - Roone
Chapter 9 - Nerissa
Chapter 10 - Roone
Chapter 11 - Nerissa
Chapter 12 - Roone
Chapter 13 - Nerissa
Chapter 14 - Roone
Chapter 15 - Nerissa
Chapter 16 - Roone
Chapter 17 - Nerissa
Chapter 18 - Roone
Chapter 19 - Nerissa
Chapter 20 - Nerissa
Chapter 21 - Nerissa
Chapter 23 - Nerissa
Chapter 24 - Nathan
Chapter 25 - Nerissa
Chapter 26 - Nerissa
Chapter 27 - Nerissa
Chapter 28 - Nerissa
Chapter 29 - Roone
Epilogue - Nathan

Chapter 22 - Nathan

44 5 3
By denissebloom04

'Let me out, Mommy! I promise I won't do it again. Please, let me out!' I beg and I beg long after I hear the basement door shut behind her.

Silence and darkness. I'm all alone in the blackness. My hands are throbbing from all the splinters that got caught in my skin. The box is made of raw wood, but it seems a little smaller, as if it somehow shrank, since the last time I've been here. Now I barely fit and I have to lower my head every time I try to stand.

Mommy says I have to be punished and think of what I've done. I am a bad boy. I made mommy angry. I told her I love her. Again. I wonder how long it will take this time until she lets me out. Days? Weeks? Last time it's been a month.

But then she saved me.

...

She looks straight into my eyes when she lies. I watch closely, absorbed by those beautiful and unique eyes of hers - two different worlds, one more perfect than the other. Does she forget how much I know her? Is she aware that every time she tries to hide something, her left eye twitches slightly, right before the lie escapes her mouth? It's like Earth itself, with all of its mountain chains and forests, suddenly gets shaken by the gentlest earthquake. But then again, it's possible that it's only me that knows this. There's no one who reads her better than I do.

I try to keep myself busy so I can give her the space she needs. It's hard for me to stay away though, yet deep down I know she'll come to me. She always does.

I remember the hatred in her eyes after her parents were taken away. But I couldn't blame her for that. After all, it was my beloved mother who reported them to the authorities. Still, she was the one who heard my screams and followed them to the basement. Nerissa, my savior, my second chance to life. I have never seen my mother after that, and I had learnt my lesson to keep my feelings all to myself ever since.

Soon, the nanites will be ready for their next upgrade. One update and I am closer to fulfil my promise I made her ages ago. She'll finally have a fair chance to find a cure after this. She'll save the world, just like she saved me. My last gift to her before I'll be forced to leave her side. I wonder, how long it will take until the disease fully takes over? I'm not even gone yet and I already miss her like air.

I shake the thought away letting the exhaustion take its toll on me. Today's training was the hardest. With the championship just a few weeks away, everyone has to sweat their pants off. Who would have known those lowlifes are going to disappear like this, leaving us all weak and broken apart? I puff annoyed. I knew something was dodgy about them.

On my way to my car, I raise my eyes to her lab. I said I'd stay away, but that doesn't mean I can't check on her from time to time. The light is on, which means she's still there, working hard and putting us all to shame. I spin on my heels and run in her building, excited to see her, even if it's only for a minute. Yet, as soon as I step inside, a strange feeling is creeping inside me. I know it's late, but as long as someone's still in the Institute, the lights should always be on. I climb two steps at a time, worried to death without having a real reason to. I must have really started to lose my mind.

The emergency lights are gleaming in the glass door retracted on one side. My eyes are busily examining the dark room, however, my mind already knows. Something must have happened and she left in a hurry. When my boots step on the broken glass, my heart seems to have stop beating. This is more of a reason to freak out. I grab my keys and rush outside to the parking lot. She must be at home. She has to.

The streets merge into each other while my thoughts are racing to her. I try to calm myself and focus on the road instead, reassuring myself I have nothing to worry about. Then why do I have this bitter taste in my mouth? Why is my heart beating so fast like it's trying to reach her before me? I tap my forefinger methodically on the steering wheel every time I pass a lamp post. The curfew's near, but I have to make sure she is safe before going home. My foot is stepping on the pedal all the way to the end, until I cannot keep up with the lights anymore.

Up from the hill, Nerissa's cuboid house comes out first from the sea of grey blocks. I've always hated that I had to leave her behind after my dad was promoted. Surely, I was glad to be taken away from my childhood house of terror, but little did I know I would never be whole again without her. I shake the painful memories away, letting my feet lead the way to her front door. The lights are all out and the uneasiness I felt before now turned into fear. I take a look at my watch - ten minutes until curfew.

'Nerissa!' I call her name, while my fists are pounding on her door.

One after another, the encircling windows start glowing, as hundreds of curious eyes follow the noise from behind curtains. All, except Nerissa's.

I start to fret. Where is she? Ilya's? I walk back to my car, taking a last look at her house before getting in. I don't know what I was expecting to happen. It's not like she hides in there, alone in the dark. But then, something indeed happens. Between her house and the one I used to live, and along the narrow corridor, my eyes catch the moving backdrop - the forest.

'Of course! Why haven't I thought about that?' I exclaim, palming my fist into my hand and dash towards the trees.

For the first time tonight, I can breathe.

I run as my own life depends on it. I trip, I fall and get back up again. She's there. I know it! My heart races so fast I can't breathe. I don't care. I have to make sure she's alright. I dodge a low thick branch, yet I cannot avoid the younger ones scraping my face mercilessly. I keep moving forward following an old secret path, that only her and I know about. It's hidden now, the creepers reclaiming it over the years. Now and then, I find myself wandering off the trail, still, I haven't once lost hope. It must have been hours since I started running into the forest, my muscles all sore and ready to give up. And when I thought I can't go on anymore, the clearing begins to reveal itself through the web of canopies and chunky tree trunks. A few more steps and I'm out into the moonlight.

The bus, a rusted fossil, rooted on the other side of the glade, stays almost hidden through mounds of scrap metal and ancient car parts. Everything looks the same, except where the vegetation slowly took over. I cannot believe no one has found it by now, but then again, even I could have missed it. It's harder than I thought to move silently between odds and ends when I can't see the ground. Something is crawling to my left and disappears into the debris, the whole pile of junk crumpling after it. Nerissa flinches to the sound, but relaxes as soon as she recognizes me.

'I knew you'd be here. You always hide when you get in trouble.' I say casually, shoving my hands in my pockets as I walk towards her.

She's sitting on the stairs, looking at me like she can't believe I'm really here, her eyes wide in surprise and twinkling in the dark. Then, she suddenly gets up and rushes towards me, jumping at my neck and crying as soon as I catch her in my arms. My heart goes haywire and for the first time, I let myself escape in her embrace.

'Oh, Ner, in what mess have you entered now?' I ask, my voice soft and caring.

Her sobs get louder and her breath huskier, and we just stand there, in the middle of nowhere, holding each other like nothing else matters. After too long, she takes a deep mouth of air forcing the tears to stay away.

'Nat, if only you knew...' She remarks, but the memories must be too vivid still, and she's falling prey again to whatever happened to her.

I should find this wrong on so many levels. I've seen her cry before, but, of course, she doesn't know that. Yet, while I should find it odd, it somehow soothes my soul. I am not the only one who doesn't find his place in this world. She must feel the same, too. I quickly grab her under her knees and hoist her up into my arms. She doesn't say anything while I gently lay her down on the old makeshift bed, a mattress so old its spring coils are sticking out. She looks exhausted, wiped out. I lay near her, careful to keep my distance and not to touch her. We both stare quietly at the starry night above us through the big hole in the ceiling. I almost forgot how magical it is to watch the sky and let your mind wander. Finally, after two falling stars and the clock ticking closer to midnight, her breathing returns to normal.

'I've lied to you.' She starts, then pauses for a moment.

I wait patiently for her to open up and come clean. I've always been there for her and nothing has changed. She should have known that.

'Susan...' She continues, 'was not sent to Denver. She was kidnapped.'

I look at her amused for a couple of seconds, waiting for her to stop joking. Still, knowing that it's not like her to be fooling around like this, I start panicking.

'What?' I blurt out, raising on my elbows.

I can't believe what I'm hearing. She sits up now, cross-legged in front of me, her face grave, but somehow apologetic.

'You have to understand I kept it away from you for your own safety.' Her voice trembles, yet she does a good job at hiding it.

'Ner, what are you talking about?'

She looks at the sky one more time, I guess to clear her eyes.

'It is not much, but I'll tell you everything I know.'

I listen to her every word, completely astonished and confused. If her parents have indeed found a cure, could their disappearance be a cover-up? What about the rebels? If they are still alive, does that mean the virus is not mortal? What if everything we know is totally wrong? What will happen to me?

My head is throbbing at the massive wave of unanswered questions coming all in at once.

'I cannot believe the lies we've been told. What happens to those who fall in love, then? What happened to your parents?' I barely find the words to express my outrage, and for the first time in my life, I let the anger consume me.

I cannot filter my thoughts anymore, and it's already too late when I figure out what I've just said. I should have kept my mouth shut.

'I'm sorry. I shouldn't have mentioned your parents, especially right now.' I apologies, holding her hand and squeezing it gently.

We are still looking at the stars.

'It's ok. I was asking myself that since I've found out.'

Silence. We're both deep in our thoughts. Then, out of nowhere, she gets up on her right elbow, facing me.

'Nat, what if...' She pauses for a while to let the idea sink in. 'What if they are both alive?'

'Ner, don't go there. I don't want you to get hurt.' I say, raising my hand to caress her face.

I end up holding back, still afraid of the unknown. She doesn't seem to notice, though.

'Think about it, Nat. Mom and dad were both scientists, right? What if they really found the cure and are living happily somewhere safe?' She looks me in the eyes waiting for my approval.

That's what I was afraid of. Her eyes are gleaming with false hope.

'Come on, Ner, even you must know this is farfetched. Do you really think they would have left you behind?'

She sighs deeply, her eyes drowned in tears.

'I won't lose hope. That's what's keeping me going.' She whispers, her lips trembling under her words.

I hold her close and place a kiss on her forehead.

'I know.' I add, and then I rock her until she falls asleep in my arms.

...
(I am so glad you are enjoying my story! Please vote and comment on your favourite paragraph. I'd love to hear your thoughts and your constructive feedback. Also, don't forget to share it with your friends! Love you all <3)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Static By Hattie

Teen Fiction

7.5K 317 17
{COMPLETED} "now that you've had your fun electrocuting me, would you care to hop in the backseat?" ...
Immune By Amy J.

Science Fiction

167K 12.2K 34
*THE UNEDITED VERSION* Beware of typos, errors, and general mistakes. This is a very, very rough draft. "I live in a place called Compound 4. We are...
7.2K 600 49
Ever thought surviving first period and facing her best friend's boyfriend - whom she recently kissed - was going to be the hardest part of her day...
509 27 13
[ 2019 ONC ambassador's pick and ONC shortlister ] The three degrees of Danger are as follows: Denial. You pretend that it's not there and you lie to...