Project Coffee

By olyanj

Katie and Alex, a world of difference between the two of them. Katie holding down the fort at home with her... More

nulla
i
ii
iii
iv
v
vi
vii
viii
ix
x
xi
xii
xiii
xiv
xv
xvii
xviii
xix
xx
xxi
xxii
xxiii
xxiv
xxv
xxvi
xxvii
xxviii
xxix
xxx
xxxi

xvi

112 8 2
By olyanj

  He was washed out.His eyes turning red from all the weeping.He'd stopped almost thirty minutes ago but the saddened atmosphere still remind on our shoulders.

     "Tell me"He bursts moving his gaze from the wall to me.

"Hmm"I hum out confused as I look at him,I was sitting back on my chair now.

  "Tell me a story,about you"He asks.

"A story?"I think to myself.I didn't have a story to say really.I had a pretty bland and uneventful life.

"Alright."I finally decide settling on a story I felt would help lighten the mood."This was like a year ago though."I admit.

"Tell me."He scoots closer to me  showing me,he wanted to listen and somewhere in between him moving and ending up in the edge of the hospital bed,I felt my heart flutter and my smile deepen.

"Well,"I think of how to start telling before deciding to start from the beginning."I had just gotten this job at this coffee shop down stairs."I introduce.He waits for me to continue and doesn't say a word."I was a good two months into my work and I normally take shifts that last till closing."I admit.

"Do you still work there?"He finally asks me.

"Yeah,five days a week."I let him know.

"Isn't that a lot of pressure on you?"He asks cocking his brow as he looks over my facial features.I let out a shrug not wanting to say yes because it'll make me seem like I can't handle what's on my plate and not saying no because that'll mean I can never get enough.

  "Anyways!"I conjure wanting to avoid the topic."I was working and in comes this sixth grader and his buddies."I remember."they were a noisy bunch,they'd ordered an enormous amount of pancakes."I continue."it was enough to make Benny-the chef-curse when he looked at the order receipt."I tell him.

"They sound like brats."He infers moving his body so he was facing more towards me.

"Trust me,they were worse then brats."I explain."It was almost three hours till closing when they showed up and all I wanted to do was throw them out."I admit."So after almost an hour later this group come in."I start with the actual story.

"This group of kids walks in and they're around out age,they take a seat in the booth next to the six graders and I still have no idea why."I confirm."Other booths were empty but they went with the one right next to the sixth graders."I continue.

"I feel like this story has a funny outcome."Dakota admits.

"Throughout the time the teenagers where there,they were rude and making nasty remarks."I remember not going into detail about what they had said."I recognized a few from my school and I was dreading it so bad."

  "They'd ordered pancakes that night too which only made Benny swear even more.When I went to deliver they're pancakes all I could think of was how Samantha-this girl who is set to kill me-kept giving me the stink eye while I was bringing out the pancakes.I heard her going off about how poor the customer service was but seeing how I was the only one working that night it was pretty obvious why."I laugh out a little feeling like I was dragging out the story more then I should.

"So Samantha's complaining about how the pancakes are dry and the syrup is lacking."I quicken."And the sixth grader in the seat behind her and goes 'you need more' and he fricken takes his plate with the pancakes and everything and pours it all over her head."I finally finish laughing remembering the look on Samantha's face when she felt the warm syrup drench her hair.

"No way!"He laughs with me.

"Her face was priceless,She looked like she saw a ghost or something."I laugh.

"What did the kid do?"Dakota asks a smile stretching across his face.

"He had this snarky look on his face the whole time and his friends cheered him on."I answer.

"He reminds me of my brother"Dakota goes on.

"Is your brother a bratty sixth grader?"I ask him easing an eyebrow.

"No,but he is a brat."Dakota remarks."maybe you know him."

"Maybe I do,what's his name?"I ask him.

"He goes to the same school as you."Dakota goes on,"his names A-"he cuts himself off.Shaking his head."It doesn't matter."He says his features no longer showing happiness but instead he was right back to the way he was.

"Dakota?"I place my hand on top of his in hopes he'll warm up to me again."What happened?"I ask not just wondering what happened to his brother and him but what happened to change his mood.

"I got in a car crash,remember?"He chuckles turning to face me.

"Well I know that."I roll my eyes at hi laughing along with him.

   He goes to say something but before he can a knock sounds on the door.

"Who is that?"He asks curiously,

"This is your room,"I remind him."you tell me."

"You're the only one I knew was coming."He assured.

"Maybe it's-"I don't get to finish my sentence when the door gets pushed open to reveal Emily.

"Hey Katie,"Emily waves at me before looking a Dakota,"hi Dakota,"she greets but instead Dakota looks at the wall like the a stone sculpture,I feel his hand tighten around mine and look down.

Our hands were still in the same place and I hadn't even realized it.His hands bigger then mine looked like they were swallowing them.

I look up at Emily and see her staring at our entwined hands to before looking up at me and smirking.

"What are you doing here,Em?"I ask finally.

"Searching for you."She says as if it weren't obvious."We need to get going."She nods her head in the

"Going?"I ask confused as to what she meant,it felt like I had just gotten here."Going where?"I ask.

"You're supposed to be helping me out up the decorations for homecoming,remember?"She answers and in the back of my head a memory of her ranting into the phone about how much work was needed before the winter gala plays in my head.

"Oh right!"I agree.

"I'll wait for you in your car."She says before making her way to the door."hurry."and with that the door closes behind her.

"Homecoming,huh?"Dakota starts I turn to him smiling giving him a shrug.

"She's part of student government."I explain."And me being her best friend means I help her with stuff I'd rather not help her with."I lean back in my chair.

"Do you have a date?"He asks wiggling his eyebrows playfully.

"Are you asking to be my date?"I ask joking around just the way he was.

"Maybe I am."He continues on a sly looking smirk playing on his face."But then again,maybe not."

"Fair enough."I laugh a little liking how casual everything had gotten.

"You should get going."He says after a while of silence."Wouldn't want to keep your friend waiting."

"I'll see you soon."I promise standing from my seat.I take his file in my hand as I stand not realizing me and him where still holding hands till he didn't let go.

I look down at where we were touching before looking back up at him.

"Is it bad I don't want you to go?"He asks and in his eyes I saw the loneliness he'd been hiding.

"Is it bad,I don't want to go either?"I ask laughing it off again.

"Maybe I could smolder you with my striking looks and then you'd stay."He thinks out loud.

"Please,your not that hot enough."I laugh a bit and this time I could feel my fingers wrapped around his.

He was no longer the only one holding on.

"So you admit I'm hot?"He asks the charming smirk of his displayed on his face again as he raised an eyebrow.

"Yes,yes I do."I admit,there was no point or use in saying I didn't.Dakota was cute.Scratch that he was hot.Maybe it was the fact that he sacrificed his life for his brother but either way he seemed extremely charming to me.

"Good."He agrees loosening his grip on my hand."I'll see you next week."He smiles.

"Next week."I promise before making my way to the door.

I turn around just as I'm about to leave the room and see his eyes trained on me.He continues on smiling and offers me a wave.

To which I wave back before leaving his room.

  🍔

After signing out and putting Dakotas file back in its designated place in the file cabinet I made my way out of the hospital.

I ended up in parking lot walking to my parking spot.

"who are you texting?"I ask as I step into my vehicle where Emily was busy sitting in the passenger side seat with her thumbs typing at the speed of sound.

"Mavin."she replies."he was texting me for the past three hours,since we got here."She explains.

"Is that why you were rushing to get us out of there?"I ask her.

"That,and because I got some news on Dylan."She goes on and I feel my heart pang against my chest while steering out of the hospital parking lot.

My muscles tighten and I feel a shiver crawl ups my neck.Why couldn't I just be over that asshole?

"Emily."I cute her off before she starts telling me about Dylan again."Can we not talk about him?"I ask hoping the message gets through.

"Right."She agrees."I get it you want to get over him."She says in an understanding tone.But I knew there was a but to her understandings and I waited for her to continue.

"Dylan isn't over you."She finally says after a pause."he's just going through a phase or something."She goes on in a reassuring tone."Him and Sam make a disturbing couple and all they're good for together is sex,but with you;you guys are more then sex."She goes on and instead of listening to her like a good friend should I'm wondering how the hell she manages to have a conversation with me and still be texting Mavin.

"We never did it."I say feeling the back of my neck heat up before taking the freeway that'll lead us to school.

School on a Saturday.What a life I have.

"I know you didn't."She says and I can almost feel her rolling her eyes at me.

"What decorations do we need to put up?"I ask changing the subject from my relationship status to what the purpose was for going to school was.

"We need to put up the fancy curtain and fix the tables so they're ready for the snacks and stuff.

"Is that all?"I wonder out loud.

"That's all me and you are doing."she explains."We split the work needed into groups and your helping me finish mine."She finishes.

"Good,when do you think we'll be done by?"I ask hoping I could get home before seven to finish my homework because there is no way possible I'll be wake up early enough on Sunday to finish an essay and several chemistry worksheets.

"We should be there for about two hours three max."She informs just as I see the school nearing closer as I continue driving.I slow down my car maintaining the school speed limit.

As I find a parking spot Emily continues to talk about Mavin.

"He's been here for about an hour and he just finished unpacking the curtains we should hurry before someone else take my task."She rushes out of my car just in time with my amazing parallel parking skills.

I leave my car making sure I locked it before walking into the school with Emily rushing towards the main gaits.I see her flash her school issued ID card at the guards through the glass door and windows that line the side of the school before she breaks off in an almost sprint towards the gym.

🐻🍯

Do you realize how boring my life is without my writing?!this is by far the worst week I've had.

I was writing this chapter throughout the week but most of my writing was done yesterday.

This chapter was supposed to not exist at all.But then I couldn't get a few scenes or ideas out of my head and they ended up creating chapter 16!

This chapter was supposed to end differently just like all of my past chapters.

So I've decided to make the next chapter a part 2

So it'll be known as chapter xvi.2

Also!

I hope you have a wonderful valentines days!

Me personally I love the day after valentines days and await for February 15 when all the chocolates are on discount prices.

Have a nice day guys!

Be sure to leave a vote or a comment!i love hearing feedback from you guys and little things you notice about the character!

Prepare yourselves for new chapters coming this week cause my mind is exploding with future ideas!

With love
~Anj

p.s~ sorry for the huge ass a/n oops lol.

🍉

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.5M 135K 50
Follow my Instagram for any updates and if you have any questions: @nikki_k123 Alex has been living the same life, with the same routine, repeating i...
16.5K 969 54
"Did you know that you just pull me in? I can't stop thinking about you." Kieran's eyes are shut, his head against the back of the couch, while makin...
78.4K 3.1K 26
'You hurt me, And I hurt you. We are forever even.' /// 'So why are you talking to me again?' 'Switch up the scenery,' he replied shortly...
263K 10.8K 25
"I knew if I wanted a relationship, I should find someone else. But I didn't want anyone else and I still don't." I managed to take his arm from arou...