The Scars Between Us

By Lee02V

Wen Yue is the daughter of a royal family. Due to her past trauma, she's become afraid of others trusting on... More

Characters
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Facts

Chapter 28

142 5 0
By Lee02V

"Your Highness, you look absolutely beautiful." Wen Yue's personal servant, Lin complimented.

The princess dressed in her rich red simply smiled, "Thank you, Lin."

Although she looked beautiful in the eyes of others, behind the veil was a solemn face.

This was the day she and her betrothed were to be tied forever, unable to part.

"Your Highness, is it alright if ask a question?" Lin asked.

Wen Yue nodded, "Of course."

Lin looked to hesitate, but asked anyways. "Are you okay?"

The bride's expression seemed to dim and her personal servant noticed this, making her eyes lower.

"I'm sorry, I'm just concerned about you, Your Highness..... You don't look happy about today." she noticed her behavior.

"No, you don't need to say sorry, and you're right. I really am not happy about today." the princess confirmed her worries.

Lin walked to stand before her and bowed, "Your Highness, I know I am not of your kingdom, but I assure you that I will follow you until death." vowing her loyalty and trust.

She looked at the woman who bowed before her then looked away. "Thank you......" Wen Yue spoke and the servant nodded.

"It's funny you know.... I really thought that if I left, I wouldn't be plagued by the dreadful memories filled with betrayal. Yet the moment I got here," tears began to escape her lovely eyes.

"I am told to not have any hope or believe in my betrothed." this was the true meaning behind the Crown Prince's words.

Wen Yue did not bother to wipe away her sorrows but let them drop to their demise. "I never thought that I, who placed hope in my prince, would be turned away by his own family." she was devastated.

"I'm not sure how to feel for anything from here on out." her voice broke.

Lin couldn't do anything but speak words of comfort to soothe her princess, whose mind was now in chaos.

Just at the doors of her chambers, stood a lone fellow. He too, was dressed in his rich red robes for tonight's occasion.

He only came to pass by her room but once he heard her speak, he stopped to listen.

Eventually, he walked away with slow, quiet steps when she was done. As he left, so did a part of him.

Time passed, and already the ceremony was almost over. All that was left was for the two to exchange their drinks, mixed with their essence.

It is customary in the Jin royal family, that when they marry, their drink of exchange is to have a drop of their blood mixed with the water of the Gold Spring Falls.

This is where their deity, Jinhai, was said to have laid to slumber. The waters were blessed by his Divine God to grant prosperity to marrying pairs of the royal family.

The drums then sounded, signaling them to exchange their cups.

As the marriage customs follow, they intertwined their arms with Fei Yang holding his cup to her under her veil and her to him.

They drank the liquid, sealing their life to one another. The two were now one, filling each other's empty half.

The drum sounded again, beating thrice, signifying the end of the ceremony and the start of the celebration.

The newly wedded pair sat at their own table decorated with the riches of red and gold. Many came and gone as they congratulated the two.

"I congratulate both Your Highnesses on your grand marriage." a mid-aged noble woman said to the two with a fan covering her face.

The two nodded, thanking the woman.

"Thank you," Wen Yue spoke.

The woman simply chuckled, "Your Highness must be very beautiful. It's a shame I can't see your face. I've heard many stories about the 7th princess of the Wei Kingdom."

Even in another country, was Wen Yue mentioned amongst others.

"You have?" she questioned seeing that it was strange for her to be talked about before she even stepped foot here.

"Why yes! Your Highness, is-" she was interrupted by another.

"Princess Wen Yue," spoke a young woman.

Immediately, the mid-aged woman bowed almost afraid of her, "Greetings, Your Highness." her voice was frantic.

She then turned to the newly weds and bowed before leaving in a hurry.

The young woman smiled seeing her behavior and turned to the two dressed in red, "It is an honor to meet you, Princess Wen Yue." she greeted with a bow.

"I am the Crown Princess, Wu Xiang." presenting herself.

Wen Yue lightly bowed, "It is also an honor to meet you, Your Highness."

The Crown Princess laughed then looked to the 4th prince, "I haven't seen you in a while, Fei Yang." speaking so casually, saying his name.

He kept his eyes to the table, "Your Highness should return back to Huan. I'm sure he's waiting for you seeing that you're heavily pregnant." noticing her bump.

Before the prince left, his brother Crown Prince Fei Huan and Crown Princess Wu Xiang had barely wedded. Now that Fei Yang is back, after nearly over a year, she's now carrying a child.

Wu Xiang seemed to glare but held her smile, "Of course, I can't keep him waiting." she then walked away.

Fei Yang looked to his wife, "Are you okay?" he asked.

She frowned not looking at him, "Of course."

His eyes overcame with blue, hearing those solemn words. "...........That's good." was all he could say that moment.

To once say so much without end, they now said so little. It was a bittersweet feeling.

The celebration ended with now Wen Yue awaiting Fei Yang in her chambers. She sat on the decorated mattress with her veil that still covered her face. It was to only be lifted by her husband.

Then, the door opened and closed.

The princess sat still, waiting as silence filled the air.

Her eyes peered to see him pouring the tea for the two. Once he finished, he walked over with them and handed one to her.

Taking it in her hand, he knelt to one knee, meeting eyes with her.

Bringing his cup forward, so did she, exchanging cups without the need to intertwine arms.

In one gulp, they finished their drink.

The prince then took back the cup and placed it on the table.

It was then, her heart began to beat rapidly.

She wasn't ready for what's to happen.

Fei Yang walked towards her, getting closer with each passing second. Her eyes shut tightly for a moment, not wanting to believe anything.

His hand then came to her veil that covered her face and lifted it. Those closed eyes opened, now seeing that his face was only centimeters from hers.

She gulped nervously with shaking eyes.

On her cheeks, were his hands as he gazed at her warmly, but something about his expression was different. Getting closer, his thumb caressed her.

She looked away.

And he, turned regretful.

Wen Yue expecting the worse, bit the inside of her lip. However, the only thing that touched her, were lips pressed against her forehead.

Her once shifted gaze looked up to him but did not say a word.

When those lips lifted off her, she was met with a sad smile on his face. Seeing his expression made her conflicted.

"........This is the only selfish thing I'll ever do to you." he spoke softly.

Her mouth gaped, speechless for a moment then pressed together.

"Get out," she told him.

His smile did not fade but turned painful to see. It felt unbearable.

"I understand." he looked to the floor.

This whole scene between the two was undeniably hard to swallow. They both knew running away from one another was wrong, but they couldn't help doing so.

It were as though saying what they really wanted to, was something they couldn't ever do for fear of punishment.

As he left her chambers, he slid the door shut leaving behind a trail of unspoken words. She sat still doing nothing but eyes to the floor.

Then, crystals slipped from her dreadful eyes. Her tears couldn't stop this never ending stream.

Sobs escaped her lips as she cried with hands clenching her chest.

"It's me who's being selfish."
.
.
.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Tears Of Kai Yuan By Avigayil

Historical Fiction

75.5K 3.1K 35
Location: Ancient China Date: T'ang Dynasty During the most flourishing era in Ancient China, all seemed to be well for the people. The kingdom was g...
67.5K 2.4K 20
Matty has seen faeries since she was eight because of scars on the right side of her face that disfigure her. She's learn to deal with giants walking...
141 16 12
"Do you remember when I tried to sneak a kiss from you when we were children?" "Your Highness, I don't think this is the most appropriate time to rem...
558 557 80
The Empress Wu fostered a daughter within the Crimson walls of the Cifu Palace who with altered and faint origins she became the sister of a Marquis...