My Dark Knight

By _imperfect

In the era where swords rule, where women consider their modesty their greatest virtue. Where a man would kil... More

Chapter one
Chapter Two
Chapter three
Chapter four
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
chapter 46
chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Epilogue
NOT A CHAPTER

Chapter 52

117K 5.6K 668
By _imperfect

Corriane walked out of the caves, happily walking towards her chambers. The chit would be sleeping for sometime. She could go for a bath or mayhap she could have her hair styled again. She was in such high spirits. Nothing could dampen her mood today.

One of the bloody men could walk about and she would not be angered by their presence. Today was a good day indeed. Life was at last smiling upon her, as it should! She had seen much too much grief for her life.
A small smile occupied her lips as her skirts trailed behind her. She wanted to laugh, but a lady never laughed, only smiled. She felt giddy, ecstatic. Her day could only increase in it's goodness. Everything was wonderful, beautiful.

Corriane walked inside her chambers, smiling widely when she noticed the warm bath water which had been prepared for her. A hot bath would be wonderful! Quickly, she removed her clothing and stepped into the bath, her head resting against the tub. Just as she was about to close her eyes, the door to her chambers opened, allowing Fredrick entry. Even his intruding did not damper her spirits. In fact, she welcomed it.

"Would you like to join?" Corriane questioned lazily as she smiled up at him. She actually wanted him to join her, and not because she needed something. No, she wanted to reward him. He had been exceptionally helpful. It had been her mind, but he had been a puppet to her plans. He deserved some sort of reward. Fortunately, men were not so hard to please.

"Mayhap another time. Where is the chit?" Fredrick questioned as his gaze raked over her nude form.

"Passed out in the dungeons." Corriane answered haughtily. She hadn't even been able to reap her full pleasure and the bint had lost consciousness. What good was she? Nevertheless, she would get her chance soon enough.

Something in Fredrick's eyes flashed.

"Why is she unconscious. She is nay to be injured." Fredrick growled.

Corriane looked at Fredrick, her earlier high gone. The insolent man! How dare he side with that wench! He should be asking her how she was feeling, instead he cared about her! How dare he! Corriane was boiling with fury.

"I see no reason why you are so upset. If you want to fuck her, wait until she awakens." Corriane said tartly. She despised the male kind. They were all the same. They all deserved to rot in hell.

"What did you do to her?"

"I castigated her." Corriane said nonchalantly, scrubbing her arms of filth. In doing so, she was able to successfully hide the shaking of her arm, or the slight quiver to her body. She felt angry and betrayed, but she would never let him know. No man would ever have power over her again. They were treacherous, thinking with only their pricks; nothing else mattered to them.

"How?" Fredrick ground out. If anything had happened to the lady....Fredrick would have Corriane's head.

Corriane rolled her eyes but ground out, "I scourged her."

"Ye wench! Why would ye do such a thing!" Fredrick hissed as he began to pace in front of the tub. Corriane's earlier ecstasy completely diminished. Instead, it was replaced with a burning anger which coursed through her veins, nearly scalding her.

"I had no knowledge of your affection's towards the girl." Corriane said scathingly. She was sick and tired of men, tired of their games.

"I have no affection for the wench. If I am to best laird Knight, I need her healthy. Not to mention the advantage I could have over laird Rivers."

"Do not worry of Tristan, he is mine to deal with. I suggest you deal with lord Rivers. That is, unless, you wish to be bested by him once again." Corriane said, a wicked smirk occupying her lips. She knew she had struck a nerve. Fredrick's blotched, red face was sign enough. The prick deserved it, treating her as if she were an errant child.

"Worry not of my relations with Rivers, instead, worry of what Knight shall do to you once he learns the state of his beloved." Fredrick snarled.

Corriane smiled a smile which was void of all happiness, or mirth. It was a cold, bone chilling smile. Once which spoke of maliciousness, or perhaps grief, rather than happiness.

"I intend for him to find out. He shall not know of our location for at least a months time." Corriane said coldly as she raised herself from the tub and began to dry herself. Unperturbed by the venom in Fredrick's words.

"Doona underestimate yer opponent."

Corriane stayed silent, opting to dress herself. Once that task was complete, she went to the corner of the chamber and began to reapply linen to her scarred arm. Another remind of the hell which was her life, of what was taken away from her.

"Did ye hear me?"

"Aye, I heard you. What you do not seem to understand is that I know Tristan as you know not. There is no such thing as underestimating." Corriane snapped as she finished her bandages and began on her hair.

"How exactly do ye know of Tristan?"

"That, is not for you to know." Corriane said coldly. She was fed up with Fredrick's interference. It was through her he even had an upper hand on Tristan. If it weren't for, Fredrick would still have his tail in between his legs. Not only had she gotten Tristan, but lord Rivers and the daughter of lord Dracmore as well. Two birds with one stone. And yet, he treated her as if she were the fool! She would end him soon enough. The men would obey her, she had no need of him.

"Where are ye going?" Fredrick snarled as Corraine made a move to leave her chambers.

"I need to go see the state of my guest." Corriane said as she stared at him boldly in the eye. She would not cower in front of him.

"I shall come with you."

"I think not." Corriane said as she clutched the vial in her hand, it was time.

Fredrick watched with narrowed eyes as Corraine walked passed him and towards the door, the chit was beginning to get on his nerves.

Corraine walked calmly, her head held high, towards the lower part of the caves, knowing its twists and turns by heart. Not a single torch occupied the stone walls to give light to the passages, but she cared not. The less people knew of its location, the less chance for the wench to escape. She wanted to tear Fredrick from limb to limb. Sadly, she was still in need of him. But she knew a certain lord who would gladly see to the task for her.
Corriane entered the cave in which she kept Sapphire, the light casting an eerie look upon her too pale face. The bint was awake.

"You are stronger than I had thought. How long have you been awake for?"

Sapphire remained silent, watching Corriane with cautious eyes. Sapphire did not miss the way the she clutched the vial in her hand, she prayed her plan worked.

"You have finally learned to hold that tongue of yours?" Corriane asked with a cruel smirk, her early joy returning.

"I have learned not to speak to those who lack proper intelligence. It has an effect on my own intelligence, you see. Ignorant people have a knack for dragging one down to their level."

Corraine's lips curled into a sneer. She would teach the chit!

"Fredrick seems quite fond of you."

Sapphire stiffened, but did not let Corriane's words daunt her.

"Are you asking me or are you telling me? Either way, it makes no difference to me."

"I see I had spoken too soon. Nevertheless, I believe I can rectify the situation." Corriane said as she advanced towards Sapphire, vial in hand. She would not be bested this time.

***

"Come here." Tristan said as he stared at Jack. The man quietly made his way towards Tristan, silently hoping he would not be killed.

Tristan took out a cloth and began to wrap it around Jack's eyes until it was impossible for him to see. Once that was done, Tristan tied his hands behind his back.

"My lord?" Jack questioned in confusion.

"I doona trust ye." Tristan said nonchalantly as he removed Jack's dagger which was hidden in his boot.

"But... H...how... Am I to lead ye towards Fredrick?"

"You will have to manage, now won't you?" Tristan said coldly as he gave Jack a push towards lord Rivers.

Once Jack was securely held by lord Rivers, Tristan addressed his men.

"I will be in the lead, I need you to follow me to the best of your abilities. The path is brutal, especially with the weather conditions, but we must hurry. Alexander and Gerald, I assume you remember what it is that is required of you?"

Both men nodded in union.

"Very well, I expect you to be right behind me. The rest of you, as soon as Alexander and Gerald give the signal, we will attack. You must stealthily take out as many men as you can. If a woman or red haired man is seen, capture them. They mustn't escape." Tristan instructed.

Once he was sure his men understood, he lead them inside the forest, away from the well traveled routes. This path was rocky and covered by many a trees, not visible to the naked eye. If one would look it would seem as if a dense layer of trees had covered the land. Only the adventurous knew what treasures lay ahead.

They traveled in silence; Tristan and Asher in the lead while lord Rivers brought up the rear with Jack. Tristan absentmindedly patted Asher's head, more for his own comfort than the horses, as they galloped through the trees.

Tristan slowed Asher to a walk as they came near the lake.

"The lake seems very deep, but tis merely an illusion. The water is icy cold, far more cold than you could have ever imagined, if you want to return, you may do so." Tristan said as he lead Asher into the frigid water, his men following suite. After that, no one spoke, they all traveled in silence, letting their thoughts haunt them.

Tristan silently prayed in his heart, all the while letting tears flow freely down his cheeks, his bronze locks obscuring his liquid silver gaze from view. His heart ached far worst than it ever had before. He knew having a wife would change everything, but surprisingly, he would have it no other way. He would get her back, he would murder those who had taken her, and he would tell her how much he loved her. He would show her, every single day for the rest of their lives, just how much she meant to him. He would love her and he would make love to her, physically and mentally. He would love her to the point of insanity.
The ache in his heart was physical, it could only be love. He had only felt like this once before, and even then, that pain was nothing compared to what he felt at that moment. It felt as if his heart was being ripped from his chest, only to be brutally replaced and then savagely ripped once again. As if his heart were a child's play thing, solely there for another's whim, for them to do as they pleased.

Consumed as he was in his grief, Tristan didn't notice the hours which passed, nor the scenery which seemed to rapidly change around him, blurred as it was. Nor did he feel the biting cold against his tear streaked face, or the way Asher would jump over fallen logs. Therefor, it was a slight surprise when Asher began to slow to a trot before coming to a complete stop. Tristan looked towards the distance where the mountains and caves lay. Then, he looked towards the sky, they had arrived before he had anticipated, he had Asher to thank for that. Tristan dismounted from Asher, feeding him an apple in gratitude. His only other companion. No matter what he went through, Asher was always besides him. As if sensing his thoughts, Asher leaned in to nuzzle him.

"Alexander, Gerald. I believe you know what to do. Where are the men located?"

Gerald and Alexander both took out their hand-drawn maps, pointing at the various locations the men were stationed.

Tristan nodded grimly before moving Asher aside and letting the men pass by on foot.

"If there is any trouble, you know the signal."

"Aye, my lord." Gerald said as they both headed off.

"What shall we do?" Lord Rivers questioned as he dragged a disheveled Jack along with him.

"Now we wait." Tristan said crossly as he stared in the horizon.

"May we do something with the weasel?" Lord Rivers questioned with faux innocence as he gave Jack a rough shove. Only the Lord knew the amount of hatred which infested lord Rivers heart.

Tristan's lips tugged slightly at the corners, barely audible.

Jack stiffened.

"I may be of use. I can lead ye to Fredrick."

"We have reached our destination. You are of little use." Lord Rivers whispered in his ear. Smiling in satisfaction as Jack paled.

"But how? Tis has only been an hours time."

"I suggest you tell us something useful, or else your life might as well be gone." Lord Rivers deadly tone of voice reached Jack's ears. If lord Rivers did not stop his taunting, Jack would wet his trousers. He knew not who he feared more, lord Knight or lord Rivers.

"Tell me about this mistress of Fredrick's."

Jack turned his face towards the voice.

"About the mistress?" Jack questioned in confusion. What did they want to know about his mistress?

"Aye, I am assuming her name is not 'mistress.'" Lord Rivers said warily.

"We doona ken her name. We call her mistress."

Lord Rivers snorted. The woman sounded daft, then again, half the world was daft.

"My lord." Tristan said when lord Rivers went to speak again, signing towards him to stay quiet. He was anxious as it was, he wanted silence. He couldn't concentrate. Even idle chatter was causing havoc on his senses. Well, whatever of his senses had remained. He prayed with everything in him that she was alive, and well..... He wouldn't let his mind conjure scenarios which did not exist! He was no fool, he knew she was harmed, but the extent of it, he could only pray she would overcome what ever they did to her. She was strong, his Sapphire. After today, he wouldn't ever let her doubt how much he loved her. He would prove it though his words and his actions.

The men stayed quiet, not making a single sound. All of them looking towards the mountains expectantly, waiting. Nothing but the wind greeted them, not even the sound of animals, even they knew, it was time to be cautious.

Just when the silence was going to suffocate Tristan, an arrow went over his head, lodging itself in a tree.

"It is time."

Tristan said as he grabbed Asher's reigns and began to walk.

***

Corriane grabbed Sapphire's cheeks, her nails digging into Sapphire's sensitive flesh. Her head was already pounding, it seemed the vile woman cared not.

"You don't need to do this."

Corriane stopped, startled.

"My darling, no one is forcing me to do this, I am choosing to do this, of my own free will." Corriane said slowly as is she were speaking to a small child, her eyes dancing with humor.

"Tristan will forgive you if you made peace. He will not care of what you did, he will forgive you." Sapphire said imploringly. Tristan may not accept Corriane as his mother, but he would forgive her and care for her. She knew, because that was in his nature, to be kind and loving. He had a wealth of love to give, which he gave unconditionally, expecting nothing in return.

"You foolish girl, you think I want his forgiveness? Nay! I want his destruction! I want him to suffer as I did, I want his demise."

"He is your son, your flesh and blood." Sapphire tried again. There had to be some humanity left within her. A human's nature was to be kind and compassionate, some more than others, but it was there. No matter if they claimed otherwise, it was how they were created. They were sympathetic and tender. And while those traits may have been stronger in some and weaker in others, they still existed. Perhaps, just maybe, she could get through to Corraine. No human should have murder on their conscious. It was a vile deed, ripping ones innocence to shreds.

"If it was in my control, I would have killed him while he was in my womb. To my dismay, I learned of my pregnancy towards the ending. Even that did not stop me from trying. Unfortunately for me, I was unsuccessful, as you can see. Howbeit, I can still perform the deed now." Corriane said gleefully.

"You can still do the right thing. Hurting and killing Tristan will not make your husband faithful."

"Foolish chit, it is not about my unfaithful husband. I despise Tristan. He took my son away from me. I don't need his forgiveness, rather, he needs my forgiveness. Which I am not willing to give. You need to worry about yourself, you shan't be singing his praises in a moments time."

"You can still redeem yourself." Sapphire pleaded. The woman could change, anyone could. Some people just needed a slight push.

"I do not need to redeem myself." Corriane snarled as she took Sapphire's face into her hand once again, the vial open and ready, as a snake only too eager to strike.

Corraine brought the vial closer, titling it slightly.

Sapphire held perfectly still, only when the vial were to touch her tightly closed mouth, did she send up a quick prayer and using the remainder of her strength, she lifted her legs. Using one leg to kick Corraine while the other foot kicked the vial which then smashed against the stone wall, causing the contents to drop down.

Sapphire loved her uncle and his vigorous training. It was his relentlessness while they trained which helped her when her body felt like lead. She had been successful, all due to her uncles hard work.

"You bitch." Corriane shrieked as she slapped Sapphire across the cheek.

"You should have chained my legs as well." Sapphire said as she spat blood.

"You-"

Corriane was cut off as she heard hurried footsteps walking towards her. No one was supposed to know the location of this area!
A man, Corriane didn't know his name but knew he was one of her own, hurried into the room.

"Mistress, we are under attack." He said breathlessly.

"How did you know of this place?" Corriane snapped, completely ignoring his warning.

"Ye had me put the rushes and the torch." He answered in confusion.

"Who else knows of this place?" Corriane prodded as she glanced at the rushes, a gleam in her eye.

"No one." He answered, not understanding why she wasn't leaving.

"Do you know who is attacking us?"

"Aye, lord Rivers and lord Knight."

"Tristan!" Sapphire exclaimed, unable to hide the happiness and relief which coursed through her. However, her relief was short lived.

Corriane had no answer to this revelation. To her, everything she had worked towards for years was falling into pieces. Something her life seemed to be very fond of doing, but not today. She would trick destiny. Tristan would not best her.

Corriane walked towards the torch, lifting it. She watched in perverse pleasure as horror coated Sapphire's features before bending to set the rushes aflame.

"It seems, my dear daughter by marriage, you have been granted an early demise."

@@@@@

Did I mention how much I love you guys!!??😘😘😘😘
I will respond to comments today and tomorrow, so if anyone had questions, bear with me. And to the rest...
Tell me what you think

Vote

Comment

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Dark Age Woman By tomboylatte

Historical Fiction

47.6K 3.8K 47
Carina hopes at last to find happiness with her brave knight. Then, tragically, he falls in battle. He finds his way back to her, a changed man. Can...
51 2 16
Researcher, mercenary, thief, killer. He wakes up to find out time has been taken from him. He doesn't know who did it, but he suspects where it bega...
364K 9.2K 62
#1 in sword fighting #3 in darkforest #7 in weapons #12 in gory #25 in mysterious (THIS BOOK HAS MANY GRAMMATICAL ERRORS, it's slowly being edited...
67 1 29
Book 1-A young slave girl is sold to a new master, Lord Tristan, a young, handsome man who has just come into his vast inheritance. All seems well un...