Chapter 37

"Come young one. It's nae polite to make someone wait. I see ye mother didna teach ye any manners."

Her heart beat faster and louder, his taunting words only heightening her fears. She couldn't breath, couldn't look away. Frozen in a time she had no wish to be.
Tears flowed from her face as she stared at her mothers anguished filled gaze. She was hopeless to do anything, trapped.

"I suppose y'er da didna teach ye either." The man snarled.

At the mention of her father, Sapphire turned to see him laying in a pool of blood, a murderous expression on his bruised face.

Her heart gave a lurch.

"Sapphire-"

"Do not take my daughters name with your filthy tongue." Edward snarled despite the pain he was going through. He would continue to fight until the life left him.

The man lifted his dagger, plundering it in her fathers heart, his blood splattering on his face, her mothers cry of agony echoing in the room.
Sapphires tears ceased to flow as she stared at the vacant eyes of her father. She welcomed the numbness as it slowly began its treacherous journey across her body.
Her mother cast surreptitious looks her way, her soul already gone, the only ounce which was left was to keep her daughter safe.

The image in her mind took a grotesque turn. Her fathers image melted away to be replaced by Tristan. The man with a beard stained with blood leered down at her husband.

Sapphire couldn't breath. She felt trapped. She banged on the walls surrounding her, willing them to release her. She needed to get out. Sapphire tried to scream all in vain. No sound came out of her mouth. She watched in horror as the man lifted the triangular dagger high above his head, aiming for Tristan's heart.

"Tristan!"

Sapphire came awake with a jolt, sweat covering her person. Her heart beat frantically in her chest, the fear which held her in a vice grip refusing to release it's hold. Her harsh breathing reached her ears as she stared at her trembling hands, a glance to her right showed an empty space.

"Tristan..." Sapphire whispered, her words choked with tears. Her pale, tear streaked face looking around the room, he wasn't there. He was gone.

Tristan quietly opened the door to his chambers, being careful not to disturb Sapphire. He closed the door and turned around to see Sapphire frantically trying to get out of bed, her legs tangling in the furs.
Tristan hurried towards her, his brows furrowed. Grabbing her arms, he pulled her towards him.

"Love, what is amiss?" Tristan questioned.

Mumbled words which he could not understand were his answer.

"Sapphire! Sapphire!" Tristan shook her, hugging her to him. She wasn't answering him.

"It's alright, I am here. Everything shall be fine." Tristan soothed as he rocked them back and forth, trying to comfort her and understand what had her so troubled. His own mind troubled to see her in such a state.

"Shite!" His eyes widened in fear as he realized her nightmares. He was ten times a fool, he shouldn't have left her alone for such a long period, especially at night. She was trembling uncontrollably, mumbling incoherently.