Chapter 19

" You've improved quite impressively."

"Thank you."

Tristan and lord Rivers stood facing each other. Both had agreed simultaneously to end the mock battle. Although with the stench of blood that filled the air as well as their bodies, one wouldn't assume it was a mock battle. Both opponents were breathing heavily in the aftermath, it was a battle well fought. Neither tried to hurt the other, but neither alpha male was willing to step down.

Sweat and blood coated their handsomely developed torsos. They placed their bloodied swords down, one of the servants would make sure the cleaning was done.

"Your sword collection is marvelous."

"I hope you'll still consider it marvelous if it were to come in contact with your throat."

Tristan smirked. He understood the well concealed threat, or hardly concealed, depending on how one looks. At times he considered lord Rivers worst than a lioness trying to protect her cubs.

"When's the wedding?"

"A week after Xavier's ."

"Are you absolutely certain you want a small wedding?" Lord Rivers was amongst those who did things with grandeur, no matter how mundane the event. He planned Isabella's wedding with extravagance, he'd do the same with Sapphires, or so he hopes. One can never be to sure.

"I understand your love for..." Tristan struggled for the correct word, he couldn't be rude to his future father-in-law.

"Entertainment. But it'd just cause a bigger headache. You're free to do what ever you wish for the wedding, I have no problem covering the expenses, but I only want those that we know to attend the wedding. No point to have rodents and rats attend a grand feast."

"Tristan." Lord Rivers chided softy.

"I do have one request, if you could invite the poor and needy, it'd mean a great deal."

Lord Rivers barely managed to suppress his smile of fondness. Tristan was a man of morality and righteousness. Sapphire couldn't have gotten a better man.

"Of course. Anything else, or do I have free reign." Lord Rivers asked, barely hiding the evil glint in his eye.

Tristan gave a slow nod, but regretted it instantly. Lord Rivers was up to something, and it most certainly couldn't be good. Tristan resisted the urge to growl his frustration.

Tristan stared at the night sky, the gently blowing wind indicated the coming of winter. Tristan found peace in his surroundings. While the world slept, he was awake. It was a full moon tonight, the twinkling stars enhancing the serene beauty of the night. For the first time, in a long time, he felt at peace, happy. He was a wealthy lord, he had everything, what he wanted, he got, even if he was a knight, who let anyone pay for his services. Tristan took a deep breath of air before exhaling. He felt peaceful, but he still thought about Sapphire. Could he keep her happy? Would she be happy with him? Content? Will his very existence be the reason for her happiness? Would he be able to love and cherish her the way she deserves? Will she be the center of his life? He could provide her with all the luxuries life has to offer, but through experience he knew, materialistic things were not enough. A person needed love, compassion, loyalty, kindness, and care.
He took a shaky breath.
Was he willing to take the risks, to step into the unknown, only for his efforts to be futile? God knew, the loss would be greater this time around.
Only time would tell.....

Sapphire examined Tristan's handy work, his skills were by far the best she had ever seen. Her hip was alright, not to bad. She should be thankful, it could have been worst. Sapphire stared in the mirror, her wayward, raven locks tumbled down her back. Her cheeks were flushed, her eyes alive; they spoke of mischief and wicked desire, a desire which she had only just tasted. But desire wasn't the only thing she wanted, she wanted his being, his heart, his love, his passion, everything that made him who he was, the good and the bad. A knock on the door had Sapphire pulling her modest, ankle length, night dress down.

"Are you awake?"

"Even if I wasn't you would have awoken me." Sapphire said dryly.

Lord Rivers chuckled softly.

"True enough. Come have a seat." Lord Rivers said, motioning towards the bed while he took the chair.

"I didn't do anything." Sapphire said quickly before taking a seat.

Lord Rivers smiled softly, his eyes alight with humor.

"This time, you didn't do anything this time, you mean. Besides I'm not here to discuss what you did or didn't do. Is the date for the wedding okay with you?"

Sapphire snorted indelicately.

"Aren't you supposed to be asking me if I'm happy, I don't have to go through with this if I don't want to. Not whether date is to my liking."

"Honestly?" Lord Rivers smirked, his expression some what incredulous. " I know you're happy and you want this, besides-" He shrugged.

"If this little incident didn't happen I doubt you two stubborn mules would have done anything about your attraction. So, in a way, this is a blessing in disguise, everything happens for a reason."

Sapphire flushed. Her uncle could be aggravating at times.
No one at the Rivers manor had discussed what had happened the previous night. Lord Rivers resentment was clear. But at this moment, no one needed a bloodbath. It was time for comfort and peace, especially for Sapphire.

"Is there anyone in particular you would like to invite?"

"God, help me!" Sapphire moaned. " You're planning the wedding!" She said with exasperation.

"Your betroth said I could." Lord Rivers smirked in triumph, he wasn't that bad, maybe just a bit.

"Ugh!" Fine! Just ugh! There's no point talking to you." Sapphire said in defeat. Her uncle was ridiculous. No point in arguing, the loss would be hers in the end.

"I don't know anyone." Sapphire had been someone of a hermit for the last couple if years.

"Not to worry, my dear." Lord Rivers waved off.
"Anything you want in particular? The color or maybe the type of flowers?" Her uncle asked eagerly. A bit too eagerly in Sapphires opinion.

"What are you up to?" Sapphire asked warily, this couldn't be good.

"Me! Why would I be up to anything? I'm merely planning a wedding." Lord Rivers said with an innocence that defied him.

"Hmm, and I, my lord, was born yesterday."

"You've grown exceedingly quickly in the past day. It's rather astonishing." Lord Rivers said in mock surprise.

Sapphire stared at her uncle through narrowed eyes.
Lord Rivers smiled widely.
A knock on the door had them both glancing away, briefly forgetting their silent battle.

"Enter." Lord Rivers called.

Alfred opened the door and entered hesitantly.

"I apologize, I know it's quite late in the evening but..." Alfred trailed off, seemingly at lost for words.

"It's alright Alfred, I'll let you two be." Lord Rivers assured him as he began to take his leave, already suspecting what Alfred had to say.

"It's alright, my lord. If its not troublesome, I'd like for you to stay as well." Alfred requested humbly. He was a remarkable butler, an even better person. With his frail form, kind eyes, and warm smile, it was hard not to love the man. He put his heart into his work, and gave his loyalty and love to those who deserved it. A fine man indeed.

"Are you sure?"

"Aye." Alfred answered with conviction.

Sapphire stared at the exchange with confusion.

Alfred squared his shoulders, as if drawing strength from an unseen force. His usually kind eyes filled with a number of emotions. Grief, regret, haunted, happiness, and love.

" I wanted to speak to you about lord Knight, my lady."

Silence hung heavy in the room at his pronouncement. Lord Rivers eyed Alfred with a mix of wariness and his own regret.

"It's not my place to say this, but I thought I could disclose a bit of knowledge." Alfred continued.

"Lord Knight, he's had a difficult past, if he tends to be cold or closed off, tis not his fault. He's a very good man, he's got a kind heart. His past is something I can't discuss, but I can assure you he's a man worth loving. He thinks he's not worthy or deserving, but believe me, my lady, he is. Please be patient with him." Alfred finished off softly, pleadingly. He loved Tristan a great deal.

"How do you know all of this?" Sapphire asked quietly.

Alfred hesitated briefly before replying.

"I used to work for his family." His reply was soft, tentative.

Sapphire remembered the time Alfred had started working for them, it was before she had arrived, but that would mean....

"Why doesn't Tristan remember you."

"He was given a tonic to eradicate his memory."

Sapphire stared at Alfred numbly, a glance towards her uncle showed he knew this bit of information. His expression was one of carefully concealed hatred. Alfred quietly left the room, as he turned, the tears he kept at bay slowly trailed down his cheeks. His frail hands trembled, his heart ached with yearning for a sweet, young lad of no more than six or seven.

Tristan carried the bucket of water to where his men were battling. The sun was high in the sky, scorching hot. But even the heat couldn't make Tristan stop his training.

"My lord?"

Tristan turned to see one of his guards standing warily .

"Yes."

"There's a man here who wants to see you. He's adamant and refuses to leave. He claims he needs a place to stay, when I told him Gerald would assist him, he refused. Saying he would only speak with you."

"How strange." Tristan murmured. "What's his name. where's he from?" Tristan questioned.

"He doesn't know, my lord. He doesn't recall his name or where he is from or if he has any family. All he claims to know is he would be a good asset to the soldiers. He claims to be a supreme archer." The guard finished warily.

Not missing the guards expression, Tristan questioned, "and you don't believe him?"

"There's something about him. He's peculiar and I think I may know him. I could be wrong." The guard, Duncan, said with a shrug. Duncan's hunch could not be ignored. He had been left for dead when Tristan had found him in the highlands of Scotland. Duncan had seen things well beyond his years. Tristan had taken him in, nursing him back to health. Duncan felt indebted to Tristan, a debt Which he didn't take to kindly. The man would take a sword to the heart claiming he was paying off his debt.
Duncan had a sixth sense of sort, he knew things, or felt certain things, an intuition. It had always helped Tristan in the past.

"I'll look into it Duncan, take me to him."

Tristan studied the man. His short dark hair was dirty and matted to his forehead. His clothes were ripped and also muddied. The poor man had a horrible stench to him, but not the type one attained from infrequent baths and living in dirt.

"You are?"

"I don't know." His answer was straight forward, no confusion, no regret or desperation. Almost as if ....

"And who are ye?" The man demanded angrily.

" I am lord here, lord Knight." Tristan pierced him with a hard look.

The man gave a bow before speaking.

"I would like to stay in your village, my laird."

"Where are you from?"

"I donna know. I awoke, with no reconciliation of who I was, or where I am from. I was wondering aimlessly until I reached ye."
He was from Scotland, or at least from around that area. His answers were blunt, no fear or helplessness laced his words. Tristan hand a nagging feeling something wasn't right, but he couldn't turn away those in need.

"Alright, Gerald will show you where you have to stay as well as all the costs and what you may be able to do for labor."

Tristan turned to Duncan and led him away from prying eyes.

"Keep a close eye on him."

"Aye, my lord."

Thank you for your lovely comments! I try to reply to all of them, but if you don't get a reply, I'm sorry. I'll reply but wattpad would deny my posting it, saying I wrote something they didn't like.

Tell me what you think ;)

Comment

Vote